IAGenWeb Project - Clayton co.

Volga Township Country Schools

Additional information or photos of any of the Volga twp. schools is welcome. If you have something to share please contact the Clayton co. IAGenWeb coordinator. Errors or additions to this page should be emailed to the Clayton co. Coordinator.

Unless otherwise credited, the information on this page was compiled by S. Ferrall.

~*~

Volga No. 1 - The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in the center of Section 32.

"Volga No. 1 lies in section 32 in the southwest part of the township, near the Lowell Thein farm. This one-acre tract was deeded by Henry Musfeldt on April 11, 1874." ~Clayton County Register, Feb. 18, 1954

1883
Report of school taught in sub. district No.1, Volga township, for the term ending April 18th, 1883. Mary Sullivan, teacher. Names of those perfect in attendance are:
Willie Ortmann
Mary Becker
Henry Becker
Minnie Musfeldt
Willie Koehn
Henry Behrens
Emma Koehn
~Elkader Register, Fri., 20 Apr. 1883 ~contributed by Reid R. Johnson

~*~*~

Volga No. 2 - aka Lundt or Ruegnitz school. The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in the SW part of Section 21.

"Volga No. 2 is located in section 21. Known as the Ruegnitz school, it was conveyed by Peter Eberhard on July 24, 1869." ~Clayton County Register, Feb. 18, 1954

See: Lundt / Ruegnitz School

~*~*~

Volga No. 3 - aka Kuehl, Curran or Downey school. The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in the center of Section 16.

"Volga No. 3, near the Louis Kuehl farm is in section 16. Containing 95/100 of an acre, it was conveyed by Nicholas Delaney on August 12, 1873." ~Clayton County Register, Feb. 18, 1954

~*~*~

Volga No. 4 - aka Berns school. The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in Section 10, next to the Krumm cemetery.

~*~*~

Volga No. 5 ?- may be the aka Meyer or Joe school. The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows an un-numbered school located in the center of Section 12.

~*~*~

Volga No. 6 - The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located Section 30 (Range-3W)

~*~*~

Volga No. 7 - aka Clark school. The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows a school located about a mile east of Littleport, in the NE part of Section 30 (Range-4W).

"Volga No. 7, is in section 30 and stands in a corner of the Refle Bros. farm east of Littleport. It was purchased from John Farrell on May 6, 1882. ~Clayton County Register, Feb. 18, 1954

~*~*~

Elkport School - see: Elkport School, Volga twp. & Elkport school grounds, students & teachers

~*~*~

Return School Index