Elkport Lutheran church ca 1908-1912
Our Granddad Dean S. Mallory took this picture of the Elkport Lutheran Church between 1908-1912 with his old camera.
~contributed by Judy Holthaus & Bruce Mallory from their personal photo collection
Church view of Elkport, Iowa ca 1890-1900
This photo shows the Lutheran church in the foreground and the Catholic church in the right background of the picture.
~contributed by Helen Jennings from her personal photo collection
Confirmation, March 1921
On Palm Sunday the following young people were confirmed at the German Lutheran Church by Rev. Paul Stolz:
Miss Ida Groth
Miss Margarette Smith
Mrs. Wm. Gerloff
~Elkader Register, Thur., 24 Mar. 1921. Elkport column ~contributed by Reid R. Johnson
Ladies Aid, 1933
Elkport: The Lutheran Ladies Aid Society of Elkport held their regular meeting at the home of Mrs. Chas. Zittergruen, at Garber, Mrs. Adam Thein being hostess. After the business meeting the election of new officers for the ensuing year occurred. The new officers are:
President - Mrs. John Knospe
Vice-President - Mrs. Henry Beeh
Treasurer - Mrs. Roma Lindenberg
Asst. Treasurer - Mrs. John Kuehl
Secretary - Mrs. L. A. Butler
Asst. Secretary - Miss Alice Brandenberger
~Clayton County Register, Thur., 05 Jan. 1933 ~contributed by Reid R. Johnson
Immanuel Lutheran Will Note Its Centennial Sunday
by Gazette Correspondent.
Elkport - Immanuel Lutheran church here will mark its 100th anniversary Sunday. Centennial services will begin at 9 with a confessional service in preparation for Communion, which will follow at 10 during a worship service. The Rev. H.W. Siefkes, president of the Iowa district of the American Lutheran church, will deliver the morning sermon. Following a noon dinner, the Rev. William Lewinsky of Fort Dodge and the Rev. Albert Guetzloff of Minneapolis, former pastors of the church, will speak. A social hour will follow.
The Clayton county church was organized by Frederick Hartge, founder of Elkport, William Waterman and D.M. Ritter, early pioneers of the community. First services of the denomination here were held at the old Elkport school. Shortly after, the small congregation erected a tiny building in which services were conducted. Professors from Wartburg seminary first conducted services in the church. They were followed by Prof. Gottfried Fritschel, who commuted 25 miles each sunday while serving the pastorate.
The first building was completed in about 1875 at a cost of $2,000. Additions have been built to the original structure, including a Front Addition in 1899. Presently the building houses a modern kitchen and dining room in the basement, as well as a completely redecorated interior.
Pastor of the church is the Rev. Clare E. Biegler, who has served the congregation since 1955. church officers are Lloyd Wessell, chairman; Kenneth Walke, secretary, and Elmer Kuehl, treasurer.
~Cedar Rapids Gazette, September 5, 1959
~transcribed by S. Ferrall for Clayton co. IAGenWeb
Elkport Lutheran church & Parsonage ca2004
~contributed by Helen Jennings
Elkport Lutheran church & Parsonage. The cemetery is on the hill in the background.
~contributed by Helen Jennings
Return to Church Index