D. R. Mills, of the firm of Carter & Mills, merchants, Elkader, became a partner in the above firm in October, 1870. The business was established in 1855 by Carter & Co., and prior to the succession of the present owners had changed hand several times. They carry a full and complete stock of general merchandise, valued at $16,000, and are doing a prosperous business. The subject of this memoir was born in Medina County, Ohio, on Nov. 3, 1835, and was a son of R. E. Mills and Ora Ann, nee Carter, the former a native of Vermont, the latter of Connecticut. His father died when he was a mere lad, and he remained with his mother, attending school and assisting to support the family until 1854, when he came to Clayton County. In 1855 he accepted a situation as clerk in the store in which he is now a partner. He went to Nebraska in 1861, where he purchased land and remained until 1869; then returned to Elkader. He was married in 1861 to S.F. Mathews, a native of New York. They have two children--E. V. and Charles D. Mr. Mills is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Elkader Lodge, No. 72, of Harmony Chapter, No. 41, and of the A.O.U.W., Elkader Lodge, No. 44.
source: History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, p. 664
Return to Biographies Index