C. C. Lang, one of the prominent and enterprising farmers of Clayton County, was born in the Western Reserve, Loraine County, Ohio, Jan. 25, 1832, and was a son of William and Abrella (Swearingen) Lang, father of Scotch and mother of German descent. There was a family of eleven children, eight livingó Nicholas, William, John, David, C.C., Abigail, Nancy and Sarah. In early life William Lang learned the trade of a blacksmith, and in 1856 he emigrated to Clayton County, Iowa, where he is still living. Mrs. Lang died in 1840. He again married, Sybil Buckley, a widow of Medad Buckley. C. C. was educated in his native State, attending two terms at Oberlin College. When eighteen years of age he learned the trade of a carriage-maker, which he followed for sixteen years. In 1856 he built the wagon shops in National, Clayton County, in company with O. D. Pettitt, and the business was conducted under the firm name of Lang & Pettitt. He afterward sold his interest to Mr. Pettitt and went to Monona, where he remained two years, then returned to National and embarked in the mercantile business. In 1880 he closed out his business and came to Monona Township, where he has since been engaged in farming. On March 8, 1860, he married Ann E., daughter of John Shaw; she was born in Pennsylvania in 1841. Mr. and Mrs. Lang are the parents of four childrenó John A., Carrie J. Charles B. and Frank S. Mr. Lang owns 180 acres of land in Clayton County, 250 in Cerro Gordo County, 29 in Allamakee County, 160 in Minnesota and 80 in Osceola County, Iowa, making a total of 707 acres, valued at $12,380.
source: History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, p. 1046-1047
Return to Biographies Index