IAGenWeb Project - Clayton co.

Scott



William S. Scott

William S. Scott, a retired farmer of Monona Township, Clayton County, is one of the pioneers of this locality, where he cast his lot just forty years ago. He improved and cultivated several farms, and has been an extensive land owner. A native of the Green Mountain State, he was born in Grand Isle County, October 24, 1824, being a son of John Scott. The latter was born in Spencertown, Columbia County, N.Y., March 12, 1784, and was a farmer by occupation, his death occurring in his seventy-sixth year. His father, Henry, was born in 1763 in the same county, and shouldered a musket during the Revolutionary War, serving under General Sullivan. The great-grandfather of W.S. Scott, whose given name was Cornelius, was likewise born in the Empire State, and was one of the pioneers of the locality in which he resided, being of German and English origin.

On attaining man's estate, John Scott, the father of our subject, wedded Sally Cochran, who was born in Vermont, as was also her father, Thomas Cochran. The latter, who was of Irish descent, was a minister in the methodist Episcopal church, and his father, Robert, was also a native of Vermont. After the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Scott, they started their life together on a farm in Grand Isle county, where they continued to live until 1846. They then became residents of Clayton County, where the father continued to live until his death, August 3, 1861. His wife died in 1850, and subsequently he was again married. By his first union he had two children, Selecta and Christina, both deceased, and by his second marriage he had six children, who grew to maturity.

William S. Scott remained with his father until the spring after he had attained his majority, when he started for Clayton County, Iowa, and walked from Chicago to Dubuque. His first summer in this locality was spent in Garnavillo Township, where he worked by the day, receiving seventy-five cents for his services in the harvest field, and in the winter received from fifty to seventy-five cents for splitting rails. In the fall of 1846 he enlisted in Captain Parker's Cavalry, for the Mexican Wor, and for his faithful services at that time is now drawing a pension. On his return he was foreman of construction on the Ogdensburg Railroad for two years.

July 29, 1848, Mr. Scott married Luana Harvey, daughter of Hon. David Harvey, who at one time was a member of the Legislature. Mrs. Scott was born May 8, 1828, and was the elder of two children. she was reared to womanhood on her father's farm, receiving an excellent educaiton. At her death, December 4, 1893, she left two children, four others having previously passed away. Julia E. is the wife of A. Ernst, a merchant of Luana, and they have two children, namely: Minnie, who is the wife of Eli Bunnell, of Willoughby, Ohio, and Lloyd Scott, who is at home. John T. was graduated with high honors from the State University in the Class of '75. On the 9th of November following he was drowned at Grant city, Sac County, Iowa. Had he lived until the 30th of the same month he would have been twenty-one years of age. Ida May became the wife of Dr. Thomas M. Moore, of Willoughby, Ohio. William R. died in his eleventh year, and two children died in infancy.

The year after our subject's marriage he located in Farmersburg Township, where he purchased a tract of land and devoted himself to its improvement for six years. For a year and a-half afterward he operated the farm and settled the estate belonging to his wife's father. In 1854 he settled in Monona Township, where he has since remained and has become a very successful general farmer. He owned six hundred acres of land, and the town of Luana was laid out by him and named in honor of Mrs. Scott. In company with Luther Nichols, our subject organized the school district of this township. An active Republican, he was for twenty-seven years Township Treasurer, and for ten years served as Justice of the Peace. For a period of two years he was a member of the board of supervisors, and has been a Mason since 1854. He still owns a fine and well improved farm comprising two hundred and seventy acres, which he rents, and at present he resides in the village of Luana. In 1880 he was elected delegate to the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Dubuque, Jones and Clayton Counties; Chicago: Chapman Pub. Co., 1894, pg 441-442
~transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

Return to 1894 Biographies Index