Rev. Lawrence F. Roche, Pastor of St. Martin's Catholic Church of Cascade, was born in Ireland in 1850. He received his education in that country and was ordained by Archbishop Patrick Tealey, of Cashel, Ireland. He came to America in 1872 and settled in Dubuque. He was afterward given charge of St. Peter's Church at Temple Hill, Jones County, and in 1876 was transferred to St. Anthony's Church at Davenport, where he remained five years. Returning to Dubuque at the expiration of that time our subject took charge of the Cathedral in that city and continued as its pastor until he came to Cascade. This congregation was originally attended by the Rev. Father Predine about fifty years ago. It was then a small mission and the pastor only visited them occasionally in order to attend to their spiritual wants. He was succeeded by Rev. Father Tracy, who was stationed at Garry Owen. The Cascade Mission was separated from Garry Owen and attached to Temple Hill, which was a flourishing Catholic settlement in an early day as it is at present. The Rev. Father McGinnis, now deceased, was pastor of the church at that time. The building in which they met for worship was a small brick structure near where the present large church now stands. Resident priests supplied the congregation for some time, among whom was the Rev. George A. Hamilton, who remained with them for six months; Rev. James Slatterly succeeded, and in 1860 the Rev. J. O'Connor took charge, remaining for one year. He was followed by Rev. James Cunningham, whose death occurred two years later. Rev. Michael Lynch was then called and for eleven years he faithfully served the church. During his pastorate the present commodious building was erected and also that of St. Martin's Convent and accompanying schools.
source: Portrait andBiographical Record of Dubuque, Jones and Clayton Counties;Chicago: Chapman Pub. Co., 1894; pgs. 482-483
-transcribed by Becky Teubner
Returnto 1894 Biographies Index