Lewis D. Moser
Lewis D. Moser is the owner of one of the fine farms of his native county, the same being eligibly situated in Jefferson town ship and comprising one hundred and eighty-one acres. Mr. Moser has shown marked energy and circumspection in his independent operations as a farmer and his success furnishes the best voucher for his ability as an agriculturist and as a grower of high-grade live stock. In the stock-raising department of his farm enterprise he specialized in the breeding and growing of the best breeds of Durham cattle and Poland-China swine.
Lewis Daniel Moser was born in Mallory township, this county, on the 26th of September, 1868, and is a son of Nicholas and Annie (Mollat) Moser, both of whom were born in the fair and noble little republic of Switzerland. Nicholas Moser was reared and educated in his native land and upon coming to America, when a young man, he first established his residence in Ohio. He remained in the old Buckeye state three years and then came to Clayton county, Iowa, where he purchased the land from which he developed one of the fine farms of Mallory township, this old homestead having continued as his place of abode until his death, which occurred January 26, 1904, his cherished and devoted wife having passed to the life eternal on the 31st of the preceding month, so that in death they were not long divided, after an earthly companionship that had been one of ideal devotion and sympathy. Both were earnest members of the United Brethren church and Mr. Moser, in consonance with his well fortified opinions, gave his support to the cause of the Democratic party.
Of the surviving children, the eldest is Henry, who is a farmer of Mallory township; William follows agricultural pursuits in Jefferson township; Frederick continues a representative of agricultural industry in Mallory township; Andrew resides at Millville, this county; Lewis D., of this review, was the next in order of birth; Lydia is the wife of Charles Friedlem, of Mallory township; Emma is the wife of George Hansel, of Manchester, Delaware county; and John is a prosperous farmer in Mallory township.
Lewis D. Moser acquired his youthful education in the schools of Mallory township, and he continued to assist in the work and management of the home farm until he had attained to his legal majority, after which he rented the place, to the operation of which he continued to give his attention until he was twenty-six years old, when he rented the farm of which he is now the owner, the property having been purchased by him fourteen years later and he having remained on the place during the entire intervening period. The farm comprises one hundred and eighty-one acres of most fertile land, improved with good buildings, the most of which have been erected by the present owner, and it is one of the valuable farm properties of Mallory township.
Mr. Moser is a staunch supporter of the cause of the Democratic party but has consented to serve in only one public office, that of township assessor. He is an appreciative member of the time-honored Masonic fraternity, in which his ancient-craft affiliation is with the Lodge of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons at Guttenberg, where he likewise maintains membership in the adjunct organization, the Order of the Eastern Star. He has received various degrees in the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of this great fraternal order, and is in this branch of Masonry affiliated with the consistory in the city of Clinton, this state. He is identified also with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America.
On the 21st of February, 1894, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Moser to Miss Ella Friedlein, who was born in Jefferson township, this county, on the 24th of January 1875, and who received the advantages of the public schools in the village of Osterdock. She is a daughter of Frederick and Harriet (Schrunk) Friedlein, representatives of sterling pioneer families of Clayton county. Frederick Friedlein was born in Schmalz, Germany, on the 7th of August, 1850, and was but two years old when his parents came to the United States and established their home in Clayton county, Iowa, where he was reared and educated and where he became a representative farmer of Jefferson township, his death having there occurred June 3, 1886, and his widow having passed to eternal rest on the 26th of June, 1913, her entire life having been passed in Clayton county, where her parents settled in the pioneer days, soon after their immigration to this country from Germany. Frederick Friedlein and his wife were earnest and consistent communicants of the Lutheran church, and their daughter Ella, wife of the subject of this review, is a member of the Eastern Star at Guttenberg, she being one of their five surviving children.
Mr. and Mrs. Moser have six children, all of whom remain members of the attractive and happy home circle, their names being here entered in the respective order of their birth: Irwin, Mildred, Harold, Reuben, Merrill, and Myrna.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page
Return to 1916 Biographies Index