George F. Lindroth
That community, no matter how inconspicuous, that can not claim provisions in the line of garage and general automobile facilities may consistently be said to fall below the standard set for the present day, and it is thus pleasing to note that in the village of Luana, Clayton county, the best of service is given in the well equipped garage conducted by Mr. Lindroth, who is one of the popular and energetic business men of the younger generation in his native county. He was born in Reed township, this county, on the 7th of April, 1877, and is a son of Fred and Mary (Bueder) Lindroth, both of whom were born and reared in Germany, where their marriage was solemnized and where the father served a thorough apprenticeship to the trade of stone-cutter, in which he became a skilled artisan. About the year 1868 Fred Lindroth and his wife immigrated to America and established their home in the city of Buffalo, New York, where he engaged in the work of his trade. In 1872 this sterling citizen established his residence in Read township, Clayton county, where he was engaged in the work of his trade for a time. He finally purchased a farm near Elkader, the county seat, and there he continued his successful activities as an agriculturist and stock-grower until his death, his wife also having remained on the old homestead until her death and both having been devout communicants of the German Lutheran Church, while the political allegiance of Mr. Lindroth was given to the Democratic party. He and his wife were earnest, industrious and worthy citizens who made their lives' count for good in every relation and who held the unqualified esteem of all who knew them. Their eldest child, Charles, is now a resident of Hartford, South Dakota; Elizabeth is deceased; Fred likewise is a resident of Hartford, South Dakota; William maintains his home at Guttenberg, Clayton county; Frank is a resident of Luana, this county; George F., of this review, was the sixth child; and Lena is the wife of Henry Holtz, of Guttenberg, this county. To the public schools of his native county George F. Lindroth is indebted for his early educational training, and after leaving the home farm he was employed at farm work for others until, at the age of twenty-one years, he purchased a farm of his oven, in Monona township. He proved an ambitious and enterprising agriculturist and stock-grower and was not denied a due measure of success in connection with his energetic and well ordered operations as a farmer. He remained on his farm until 1913, when he established his home in the village of Luana, where he has since been successfully engaged in the conducting of a garage and general automobile business, in which his valued coadjutor and partner is Fred C. Schultz, of whom individual mention is made on other pages of this work. The firm have the local agency for the well known Studebaker and Chevrolet automobiles, have a well equipped repair shop, and own the substantial garage building which they erected for the purpose and which is thirty by sixty feet in dimensions, the establishment giving employment to three assistants. Mr. Lindroth is president of the Luana Town Hall Company, served one term as president and general manager of the Farmers Telephone Company, and during an incumbency of four years he was a loyal and progressive member of the village council of Luana, besides which he held for two terms the position of constable. His political convictions are indicated by the stalwart support which he gives to the Democratic party, and both he and his wife hold to the religious faith in which they were rearedthat of the German Lutheran Church. On the 20th of Septernber, ,1898, was recorded the marriage of Mr. Lindroth to Miss Louisa Heins, who was born in Read township, this county, on the 28th of December, 1874, and whose educational advantages were those afforded in the public schools of Luana. She is a daughter of Henry and Fredericka (Kuss) Heins, who were born in Germany. Mr. Heins came to Clayton county in 1861 and found employment in and about Garnavillo. In 1867 he went to California, but five years later he returned to Clayton county, where for many years he was one of the active and successful exponents of agricultural industry in Read township. Since leaving his farm he has lived retired in the village of Luana, his devoted wife having passed away on the 18th of March, 1916. Mr. and Mrs. Lindroth became the parents of three children, of whom the first two, Rosina and Rodena, are deceased. Tne only son, Arnold, is still attending school.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page 251-253
Return to 1916 Biographies Index