Albert Lenth is another well known and popular representative of that sterling German contingent of citizenship which has wielded potent influence in the social and material development and upbuilding of Clayton county, and he is one of the substantial farmers of Farmersburg township, where he is the owner of a well-improved homestead place of one hundred and thirty-one acres and where, in connection with general agricultural enterprise, he has given special attention to and been successful in the raising of the fine Red Polled cattle. Mr. Lenth; was born on the farm of his father in Farmersburg township, this county, and the date of his nativity was August 22, 1870. He is a son of Carl and Dorothea (Schmalfeld) Lenth, both of whom were born and reared in Germany, whence they came to America and established their home in Clayton county in the early pioneer days. Here the father long held precedence as an energetic, enterprising and successful farmer, with impregnable standing as a loyal and honored citizen, and he continued to reside on his old homestead farm until his death, which occurred in December, 1915. He was a zealous communicant of the Lutheran church, as is also his widow, who still remains on the old home place, and of their twelve children seven survive the honored father. Albert Lenth found the period of his childhood and youth compassed by the conditions and influence of the home farm and early began to contribute his quota to its work, the while he made good use of the advantages afforded in the public schools. He continued to be associated in the management of his father's farm until he had attained to the age of twenty years, when he purchased his present farm, in Section 19, Farmersburg township, where he has since continued his well-ordered operations as an agriculturist and stock-grower, of which important lines of industrial enterprise he is one of the representative exponents in his native county. He is a stockholder of the Farmers' Bank at St. Olaf, is a Democrat in his political allegiance and served four years as school director of his district, this being the only public office for which he has consented to become a candidate. With the effective co-operation of his wife, who has proved a true helpmeet, he has achieved success and independence, and to the gaining of this end they have put forth their best efforts with thorough harmony of motive and action. Both are communicants of the Lutheran church at Farmersburg and in their native county their circle of friends is limited only by that of their acquaintances. In the year 1896 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Lenth to Miss Louise Gottschalk, who was born and reared in Reed township, this county, her parents being sterling pioneer citizens of that township, where they still reside on their old homestead farm. Mrs. Lenth is a daughter of William and Wilhelmina (Crepeline) Gottschalk, both of whom were born and reared in Germany, their home having been established in Clayton county within a short time after their immigration to the United States. Mr. and Mrs. Lenth have ten children, namely: Wesley, Harold, Mabel, Milton, Leona, Roy, Lucy, Aaron, Alva, and Rosina.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page 246-247
Return to 1916 Biographies Index