George F. Kurdelmeier
George F. Kurdelmeier was born on the fine farmstead which he now owns and operates, in Section 4, Read township, and the date of his nativity was February 2, 1868. His honored father one of the sterling pioneers who contributed a generous quota the civic and industrial development and upbuilding of Clayton county, and the precedence which he eventually gained as one the extensive and representative farmers of the county has been fully upheld and also advanced by his son George F., of this review who is showing marked circumspection and progressiveness in management of his large and valuable landed estate.
He who name initiates this article is one of the six surviving children William and Maria (Pieper) Kurdelmeier, both of whom were children at the time of the immigration of the respective families from Germany to the United States. William Kurdelmeier and wife were reared and educated in the state of Ohio, where the marriage was solemnized, and upon coming to Clayton county, Iowa, they established their home on the farm now owned by their son George F. Here the father continued his productive activities as one of the honored and successful farmers of the county until his death, which occurred in 1898. His widow, now venerable in years, still resides in the county that has long been her home and which she has the high regard of all who know her; she is a devoted communicant of the Lutheran church, as was also her husband.
George F. Kurdelmeier has always maintained his home on the fine farm which he now owns and has had the good judgment never to sever his allegiance to the basic industries of agriculture and stock-growing, through the medium of which he is proving himself one of the substantial citizens of his native county. His marnage was solemnized in the year 1900, and shortly afterward he purchased the old homestead farm of two hundred acres, to which he later added by the purchase of an adjoining tract of forty acres, in the same township, so that his landed estate now comprises two hundred and forty acres of as fine land as is to be found in this section of the state.
For his independent career he was fortified not only by long and practical experience but also by the discipline which he received in his boyhood and youth while attending the public schools of his home township. His political support is given to the Republican party; he is always ready to give co-operation in the furtherance of those objects that tend to advance the general welfare of the community and he has served as school director of district for the past twenty years. Both he and his wife are communicants of the Lutheran church. The attractive home is known own for its cordial hospitality and receives mail service on rural route No. 1 from the village of St. Olaf.
In 1900 Mr. Kurdelmeier wedded Miss Caroline Ihde, who likewise was born and reared in Read township and who is a daughter of John and Anna (Thoma) Ihde both natives of Iowa and now honored residents of Garnavillo township, this county, only one of their nine children being deceased.
Mr. and Mrs. Kurdelmeier have five children, whose names and respective dates of birth are here noted: Charlotte, April 4, 1901; William J., June 21, 1902; Arno G., October 13, 1903; Cora M.S., June 16,1905; and Roslyn A.M., November 2, 1912.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page
Return to 1916 Biographies Index