John E. Jacobson
John E. Jacobson, dealer in general merchandise at St. Olaf, Iowa, was born in Claremont, of that state, June 24, 1873, and is the son of Erick and Belle (Olson) Jacobson, both natives of Norway.
The father came to Clayton county, Iowa, in 1860, and took up the vocation of farming, which he followed until his death. To him and his wife, who is also deceased, were born ten children, eight of whom are living: Ole, of Nora Springs, Iowa; Caroline, who is the wife of Ole Koppang, of Claremont, Iowa; Gustave and Jacob, who are twins, the former living at Nora Springs, Iowa, and the latter at Watertown, Wisconsin; Anna, married to Gilbert Ostlie, and living at Claremont, Iowa; Edward, deceased; Emma, wife of John Peterson, of Claremont; John, the subject of this sketch; Mary, who is now Mrs. Nels Larson, of Postville, Iowa; and Eliza, deceased.
John E. Jacobson remained on his father's farm until a year after his marriage, when he moved to Claremont, and was employed in a general merchandise business for five years, when he went to Gunder, going into the same line of business for himself. After remaining in that place for another five years, he went to St. Olaf, Iowa, where he started a general merchandise store, the first and only one of its kind in the town. He took H. E. Landsgard into partnership with him in the business, which is being conducted under the firm name of Jacobson and Landsgard, and in its success is a credit to the intelligent effort and efficiency which the partners devote to its upbuilding.
Mr. Jacobson married Julia
Skarshoug, of Clayton county, and they have reared a
family of four children: Hiram E., age 15; Grace B., age
13; Clarence R, age 10; and Louis V., age 6 years. He is
a staunch Republican, and in reward for his unswerving
and honorable adherence to the principles of his party,
was awarded the postmastership of his town, which
position he held for five years. He was a school
director, and is serving on the City Council at the
present time. Both he and his wife are members of the
Norwegian Lutheran church.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; pg 194
Return to 1916 Biographies Index