Ernest Haltmeyer is of the younger generation of a family whose name first became identified with Clayton county in the early pioneer days, and in his native county he has achieved individual success and prestige as an argiculturist and progressive citizen, with character and accomplishments that have given him impregnable vantage-ground in popular confidence and esteem. He and his family reside in the village of Farmersburg, and their attractive home is known for its generous hospitality.
Mr. Haltmeyer was born on a farm near the city of McGregor, this county, and the date of his nativity was June 27, 1880. He is the second in order of birth of the three children of John and Barbara (Eidemiller) Haltmeyer, the former of whom was born in Austria and the latter in the state of Pennsylvania. Of the three children the eldest is Lydia, who is the wife of William F. Linderman, of this county, and the youngest is Emma, who is the wife of Henry Brallmeier, of McGregor. John Haltmeyer first made his appearance in Clayton county, Iowa, in 1855, when this section was little more than an untrammeled wilderness, and later he went to Minnesota, where he maintained his residence for a term of years. In 1874 he became the owner of a farm near McGregor, this county, and here he continued to reside until his death, which occurred in 1897. He was a substantial and influential citizen of his community and served for some time in the office of road supervisor. His first wife, whose maiden name was Susana Volgenant, was comparatively a young woman at the time of her death, and is survived by four children - Emily, who resides at McGregor and who is the widow of George Leibrand; Herman, who maintains his home at South McGregor; John, who is a resident of Manchester, Delaware county, this State; and Flora, who is the wife of John Dehn, of Clayton. The second wife of John Haltmeyer survives him and now maintains her home at McGregor.
Ernest Haltmeyer, the immediate subject of this review, acquired his early education in the public schools of Clayton county, and his independent career as a youth was marked not only by his work as a farm employe but also by effective activity as a stone mason and plasterer, to which lines of enterprise he still gives his attention in a successful way. He is a well-fortified supporter of the principles of the Democratic party and is now serving as a member of the Farmersburg board of education. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, and in 1916 is serving as venerable council in his camp of the Woodmen of the World.
On the 27th of February, 1902,
was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Haltmeyer to Miss
Christina Drallmeier, who likewise was born and reared in
Clayton county and who is a daughter of William and Mary
(Mandelkow) Drallmeier, who were born in Germany and who
became residents of Clayton county in the pioneer days.
Mr. and Mrs. Haltmeyer became the parents of four
children, of whom the third, Mabel, died in childhood.
Edna, Irving and Irene are at the parental home.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page
Return to 1916 Biographies Index