Dr. Jason D. Brownson
Jason D. Brownson. -One of the professional men of Clayton county, who has gained for himself not only the esteem and good will of the people of his community, but a high place in the ranks of his chosen profession, is Dr. Jason D. Brownson of Monona.
Dr. Brownson is a worthy son of one of the pioneers of the county who by his progressive ideas left a deep impress upon the agricultural developments and especially upon the live stock industry of his community. Throughout the history of Clayton county as recorded in the first volume of this work, frequent mention has been made of Freeman Brownson, as one who was prominent in county affairs, in the promotion of agricultural interests and in the importation of thoroughbred stock, thus aiding in the establishment of the reputation which Clayton county proudly holds, today, for the high standard which it maintains in the production of cattle, horses and swine. Freeman Brownson and his wife Lana (Flanagan) Brownson were both natives of the state of New York, and together they came to Iowa at an early date and joined the colony of pioneers who were beginning that wonderful process of transformation which has made Clayton county the richest in Iowa. To Mr. Freeman Brownson must be given the credit of having imported the first thoroughbred Percheron horses ever owned in the county, and also of being the owner of the first full blood Poland-China hogs which the county had ever known.
To this pioneer couple were born three children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the eldest, and two died in infancy. The mother died in 1870, when Jason Brownson was but three years of age, and a few years later his father was again married to Miss Rachel Datisman, and to them seven children were born: Frank, Lucy, Ruben and Una (deceased),. Lois, Herbert C. and Lloyd, all of whom reside in the county in the vicinity of National.
Jason D. Brownson lived the life of the farm lad of his day, attended the public schools of the county and, being ambitious for a higher education and for professional training, after completing the course of study in the county schools, he matriculated in Cornell College at Mt. Vernon, Iowa, an institution which for many years has maintained the highest standard of excellence. From this institution he graduated in 1892, and to the excellent education there received Mr. Brownson added a course of four years' professional instruction in the famous Northwestern University at Evanston, Illinois; here he received his professional degree, graduating with honor, in 1896, after which he immediately began the practice of his profession at Elkader.
In 1900 he removed to the beautiful city of Monona and there for sixteen years he has continued in practice most successfully and has achieved not only a competency, but a high reputation both professionally and as a citizen.
He was married September 5,
1895, to Miss Minnie Penman of Rockton, Illinois, and
their delightful home is one of the social centers of
Monona. Politically, Dr. Brownson has affiliated himself
with the Democratic party and socially he is a member of
high standing in the Masonic Order and in the Benevolent
& Protective Order of Elks.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page 60-61
Return to 1916 Biographies Index