IAGenWeb Logo

Towns & Townships
Clay County, Iowa

USGenWeb Logo

Townships

Clay County, Iowa Townships

Clay Clay Township was the first township in Clay County. When it was created in 1859, it comprised the entire county. As of the 2000 census, its population was 696.

Douglas Douglas Township was created in 1860. Douglas Township covers an area of 35.68 square miles and contains no incorporated settlements. It contains three cemeteries: Douglas Township, Fanny Fern and Zion. As of the 2000 census, its population was 212.

Freeman Freeman Township was created in 1882. As of the 2000 census, its population was 444. Freeman Township covers an area of 35.67 square miles and contains one incorporated settlement, Dickens. It contains one cemetery, Dickens.

Garfield Garfield Township covers an area of 35.98 square miles and contains one incorporated settlement, Webb. It contains one cemetery, Garfield Township. Mud Lake is within this township. As of the 2000 census, its population was 311.

Gillette GroveGillett Grove Township was created in 1873. Gillett Grove Township covers an area of 36.12 square miles and contains two incorporated settlements: Gillett Grove and Greenville. It contains one cemetery, Rosehill. As of the 2000 census, its population was 385.

Herdland Herdland Township was created in 1873. Herdland Township covers an area of 35.57 square miles and contains no incorporated settlements, although the unincorporated community of Cornell is located here. It contains three cemeteries: Burr Oak, Liberty and Osborn. As of the 2000 census, its population was 210.

Lake Lake Township was created in 1882. It is named from the large number of lakes within its borders. Lake Township covers an area of 35.95 square miles and contains no incorporated settlements. Dan Green Slough, Mud Lake, Round Lake and Trumbull Lake are within this township. As of the 2000 census, its population was 240.

Lincoln Lincoln Township was created in 1867. Lincoln Township covers an area of 36.26 square miles and contains one incorporated settlement, Rossie. It contains three cemeteries: Bethlehem Lutheran, Lincoln and Prairie Creek. As of the 2000 census, its population was 260.

Logan Logan Township was created in 1882.Logan Township covers an area of 36.51 square miles and contains no incorporated settlements. It contains one cemetery, Logan Township.Elk Lake is within this township. As of the 2000 census, its population was 166.

Lone Tree Lone Tree Township was created in 1877.Lone Tree Township takes its name from a large elm tree that was a local landmark on the prairie. Lone Tree Township covers an area of 35.35 square miles and contains one incorporated settlement, Everly. It contains one cemetery, Lone Tree. The stream of Sewer Creek runs through this township. As of the 2000 census, its population was 860.

Meadow Meadow Township was created in 1882. Meadow Township covers an area of 34.84 square miles and contains no incorporated settlements, although the unincorporated community of Langdon is located here. It contains one cemetery, Fairview. The stream of Little Meadow Creek runs through this township. As of the 2000 census, its population was 339.

Peterson Peterson Township was created in 1878. Peterson Township covers an area of 35.75 square miles and contains one incorporated settlement, Peterson. It contains one cemetery, Oakland. As of the 2000 census, its population was 555.

Riverton Riverton Township was created in 1874. Riverton Township covers an area of 31.01 square miles and contains no incorporated settlements. The streams of Spring Creek and Stony Creek run through this township. As of the 2000 census, its population was 321.

Sioux Sioux Township was created in 1894. Sioux Township covers an area of 30.45 square miles and contains no incorporated settlements. The streams of Big Muddy Creek, Little Muddy Creek, Lost Island Outlet and Prairie Creek run through this township. As of the 2000 census, its population was 395.

Summit Summit Township was created in 1872. Summit Township covers an area of 35.3 square miles and contains one incorporated settlement, Fostoria. It contains one cemetery, Evergreen. As of the 2000 census, its population was 452.

Waterford Waterford Township was created in 1884. Waterford Township covers an area of 35.56 square miles and contains no incorporated settlements. It contains one cemetery, First Reformed Church. As of the 2000 census, its population was 209.

Information from Wikipedia.

Creation of Townships


Clay County Towns

Clay County, Iowa Townships

Dickens was founded in 1886. Population was 202 in 2000 and 185 in 2010. The city has a total area of 0.84 square miles.

Everly was founded as Clark, Iowa, in 1884, but soon took its current name because there was already a Clarke, Iowa. Everly incorporated on April 7, 1902. The population was 603 in the 2010 census and 647 in the 2000 census. The city has a total area of 1.11 square miles. Website

Fosteria The population was 231 in the 2010 census and 230 in the 2000 census. It has a total area of 0.47 square miles.

Gillette Grove was laid out in 1899 when the railroad was extended to that point. The city was named for brothers George and Isaiah Gillett, pioneer settlers. The population was 49 in the 2010 census and 55 in the 2000 census., the city has a total area of 0.19 square miles

Greenville The Greenville post office opened in 1871. The town was named for its first postmaster, A. W. Green. The population was 75 in the 2010 census and 93 in the 2000 census. The city has a total area of 0.18 square miles

Peterson The first settlement was made at Peterson in 1856.In 1862 a fort was built in Peterson by settlers to defend against anticipated Dakota attacks during the Dakota War of 1862. The fort was never attacked. The blockhouse from this fort still stands near its original location at the corner of Second and Park. Peterson was platted in 1881 when the railroad was extended to that point. The city was named for Adlie Peterson, an early settler. The population was 334 in the 2010 census and 372 in the 2000 census. It has a total area of 0.31 square miles.

Rossie The population was 70 in the 2010 census and 58 in the 2000 census. It has a total area of 0.15 square miles.

Royal The population was 446 in the 2010 census and 479 in the 2000 census. It has a total area of 0.30 square miles.

Spencer The first house was built in what is now Spencer in 1866, and the first store was opened there in 1869. Spencer was platted as a town in 1871. In 1878, Spencer experience growth when the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway was built into the settlement. It is located at the confluence of the Little Sioux and Ocheyedan Rivers. The population was 11,233 in the 2010 census and 11,317 in the 2000 census.Spencer is famous as the home of the Clay County Fair, held annually in September, averaging over 300,000 visitors each year. The town's (now-deceased) library cat, Dewey Readmore Books, is known throughout the world. The city has a total area of 11.18 square miles, of which, 11.01 square miles is land and 0.17 square miles is water Website

Webb Founded in 1900. The population was 141 in the 2010 census and 165 in the 2000 census. It has a total area of 0.50 square miles. Website

Information from Wikipedia.


Abandoned Towns, Villages, and Post Offices of Clay County
from "The Annals of Iowa", Volumes XVII and XVIII, 1930-1932

Annieville: in the southeastern part of section 12, Lincoln Township. Post office, 1871-1880.
Bridgewater: in the southeastern part of Lake Township. Shown on maps from 1873-1887.
Clark: first name give to town of Everly. Platted as Clark in 1884. Listed as Clark in U.S. Postal Guide from 1885-1897.
Cromwell Center: west of the central part of Summit Township. Post office, 1875-1900.
Douglas Center: in section 24, Douglas Township. Post office, 1871-1875.
Freeman: in the northeastern corner of section 13, Sioux Township. Post office 1871-1875.
Herdland: in section 14, Herdland Township.  Post office 1881-1897.
Platt: listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Clay County from 1893 to 1897.
Prospect: in the northwestern part of Meadow Township as shown on maps from 1873-1885.
Summit: in section 24, Summit Township. Post office, 1875.
Trimello: in section 6, Clay Township. Post office, 1875-1900.
Willow Creek: in section 36, Clay Township. Post office, 1871-1900.
Yankee: in the north central part of Peterson Township.  Post office, 1881-1900.
Past and Present Communities and Counties