The town of Liberty was located on the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 5, and on the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 6, Liberty Township. It was surveyed and platted by Jerry Jenks, surveyor of Clarke County, about the year 1854. The first store in town was kept by B.D. Truman, in the year 1856. In 1857 J.W. Hampton bought a stock of goods, and continued to sell until May 22, 1862, when his store, house and all the goods were burned at night, supposed to be the work of an incendiary. In the time of the war (Civil War), Thomas Hudgel sold goods for some time. For the last twelve or fourteen years, Conrad Mowery has been the merchant for Liberty. The first post office in the neighborhood, was called Hickory Point, John Lambert, postmaster. In the fall of 1856, the post office was moved to Liberty, and Jacob Proudfoot appointed.
The United Brethren organized a society in about 1855. The Methodist Episcopal church was formed in the summer of 1856, Rev. S.B. Guiberson pastor. The Methodist church building was "raised" about the year 1860, but was not finished until 1865. The Methodists and United Brethren have socieites and church services at the date of this writing, the Methodist church numbering some forty members, the United Brethren society not so numerous, but they have another society a few miles out.
JacobProudfoot commenced to work at the blacksmith's trade in Liberty in the spring of 1856,and in this year (1886) still has a shop in the place. Years ago the prospect was, that Liberty would grow into quite a village, but the railroads caused towns to build up in other parts of the county, so that Liberty, without a railroad, has not improved much for a number of years.
1902 city plat
Return to Liberty Township
Last Revised August 31, 2010