History of the African
Methodist Episcopal Church
The African Methodist Episcopal Church was established in 1880 and was affiliated with the Iowa-Des Moines conference of the Methodist church.
The house of worship, located at the corner of Washington and Temple streets, was constructed and dedicated in 1881 at a cost of over $1000. Rev. T. R. Griffin was the first pastor. Other pastors included Rev. Mr. Ford and Rev. E. K. Ellis of Des Moines. The congregation numbered between 20 and 25 persons.
Trustees of the church included John Drayden, Jasper Wilson, Charles Wesley, and Price Page.
Source: History of Clarke County
African-Americans in Clarke County
Graphics courtesy of: Christian Media
Return to Church Directory