History of Madison Chapel
Rev. E.A. McKimm held a meeting in the spring of 1912 and organized a class at Valley Forge school. He appointed a board of six Deacons. They were as follows: L.J. Camp, ahart Simmerman, Frank Ortt, E.J. Camp, G.A. Simmerman, and Charles Burgus.
The Board of Deacons met and L.J. Camp was elected Chairman, Charles Burgus, Secretary and G.A. Simmerman, Treasurer. The other three were to be a committee to circulate papers to have people pledge money to build a church.
On April 23, 1912, a meeting was held to elect a building committee to report on prices of material. The lowest price being $479.45 from the truro Lumber Co. The building committee was to proceed to build a church 26x36 feet.
The first trustees were W.H. Turner, H.S. Dixson, and Charles Burgus. On June 13, 1912, the trustees met to measure the land for the building site. It was to be on the northeast corner at the crossroads, which was donated by G.A. Simmerman. On June 23, 1912, it was voted to call the church Madison Chapel.
One of the carpenters was Wm. Woodall; most of the work was donated by the men of the neighborhood. The church was dedicated January 26, 1913, by Rev. A.H. Haggard.
Some of the charter and early members were the families of H.S. Dixson, Frank Ortts, Charles Dicks, L.J. Camp, E.J. Camp, B. Kirk, Sam and Art Wolfe, Hester Reel, Art Iiams, Ahart and Alva Simmerman, Fred Spellerberg, Kerry Thurmans, A.H. Benner, W.H. turner, Charles Burgus, Vern Shorts, Frank Morreys, Carl Stifel, and Felix Simmerman.
Fields Spellerberg was the first janitor, Mrs. Ortt was Sunday School Superintendent at the school house and Mr. Dixson was Sunday School Superintendent at the church for many years. Mrs. Fred Spellerberg was organist for years. Steve Blanchard was the first funeral held in the fall of 1914.
Some of the early ministers were as follows: Revs. C.S. Keckner, B.H. Harmon, W.H. Ross, Crewdson, Stringfellow, G.E. Nichols, Seth Slaughter, and Odell.
Return to Church Directory