IOWA CAVALRY MONUMENT
IN MAXWELL NEBRASKA
Submitted by Mark E Gray
memorial is to the soldiers of the 7th Iowa Cavalry who were
stationed at Fort Cottonwood in the 1860's. Fort
Cottonwood was later named Fort McPherson.
There is a farm on the south side of the road, the statue is in their front yard and marks the spot of the Forts flag pole.
The GGG-Grandfather of Mark Gray, was Eli Avery, he was the saddler for the 7th Iowa cavalry and was stationed there during the Civil War.
7th Iowa Cavalry soldiers buried in For Mc Pherson National Cemetery
|Click on image for larger view|