CHICKASAW COUNTY
Another IAGenWeb Project
 



NEW HAMPTON

New Hampton was incorporated in the Spring of 1873. Jas F. Babcok was the first Mayor. He was succeeded by Captain G. Gardner, and he by the present Mayor, Dr. H. M. Mixie. The present council consists of Dr. H. M. Mixie, Mayor; James Young, Recorder; L. M. Smith, F. Morsch, J. J. Arbuckle, Jno. McLaren and G. M. Reynolds, Trustees. The town is in the exact geographical center of the county. It contains about 1,000 inhabitants, and is well situated with regard to health and beauty, the ground sloping to the east and south sufficiently to afford good drainage. It has a well built, commodious school house, with graded school of four departments. There are seven church organizations here. Three of which have large churches, to wit; the Methodist, Congregational, and Catholic societies. Three of the societies have parsonages. The city has one bank, which is now erecting a $7,000 building. Two good hotels, two full drug stores, eight general retail store, two of them carrying from $15,000 to $20,000 stock, several groceries, restaurants, etc., one large hardware store, one jeweler, dressmaker, milliner, etc, one tailor, three agricultural implement depots, from one of which has been sold the present season (1875) $30,000 worth of machinery, while the others have enjoyed a good trade. No line of business is overdone, the contributing territory always keeping in advance of the town. There are several resident physicians, and then lawyers. This is the home of the first lady notary public commissioned in the state. The Iowa Div. of the C. M. & St. P. Ry, was completed to this town in September, 1869. Two other railways have been surveyed through the town, the C. F. & W., and the D. N. H. & M. and the demands of the country will warrant the completion of the latter at some date in the near future. The fair grounds of the Chickasaw County Agricultural Society are located a short distance east of the town on a beautiful tract of land, and include a good trotting course.

From the A.T. Andreas Illustrated Historical Atlas of the State of Iowa, 1875


The 1875 New Hampton Plan

1875 Birds Eye View Of New Hampton

Source: A.T. Andreas Illustrated Historical Atlas of the State of Iowa 1875


CHICKASAW COUNTY MAIN PAGE

These Pages are Willed to the IAGenWeb
2003 IAGenWeb