Another IAGenWeb Project
The town of Fredericksburg takes its name from Frederick Padden, its first settler and founder, by whom it was platted as a village in 1856. Frederick Padden had built a house and located there in 1854, and his neighbors were few and far between for several years after, although he had an optimistic vision that persuaded him to believe that a real town would be established there, and in time the vision became a reality. The limited ground for faith in the future of Fredericksburg is best revealed by Dr. W. S. Pitts, who came to the place about 1862, and writes of his impression of the town and its prospects:
Quote: Fifty-five years ago Fredericksburg was a gray, weather-beaten, sorry looking hamlet. The flush of hope over its bright future had faded into a condition of semi-gloom. Lands were cheap, money was scarce, produce worth but very little. Being so far from a market, its transportation thereto consumed time, hard labor for man and beast, and left little to feed and clothe the husbandman and his family. The promised railroad had failed to materialize. Perhaps the 150 souls dwelling there would have left, but they could not, for want of means to get away; so they remained per force of circumstances.
In the year 1886, the railroad came. It was like food to a starving man, like fresh fuel to a smoldering fire. The town awoke from its lethargy. It received the road with open arm, and man to man clasped hands and thanked GOD and took new courage." End of Quote.
History of Chickasaw and Howard Counties (1919) Vol. 1, Chapter 14, Page 299
Transcribed by Lookup Person, Leonard Granger firstname.lastname@example.org
CHICKASAW COUNTY MAIN PAGE