Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
Dougherty Township, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa
Dougherty township was organized in 1870 and was named Prairie, but in 1871 the name was changed to Dougherty in honor of its first settler, Daniel DOUGHERTY.
The first school in Dougherty Township was built on Section 36, in 1864 near Daniel DOUGHERTY's old homestead, and was taught by Miss Elizabeth IRVIN of Clayton county, the families of John HUMPHREY and Daniel DOUGHERTY furnishing the scholars. Today  there are nine public schools and a parochial school [Saint Patrick's] in the township, the latter presided over by five Sisters of the Presentation Order of Dubuque. ~ History of Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, 1910
Winter Session, December 2, 1901 - March, 1902
Beata DOUGHERTY, Teacher
Mr. Lyle D. BAKER, Teacher
Dougherty Schoolhouse #7 was located four miles west of Dougherty in District Number 7, Dougherty Township. The 1895 Plat Map places this schoolhouse in the southeast quarter of sec. 30 on land owned by John F. ORMSBY (Deerfield School No. 7).
located two miles east of Dougherty in Floyd County
August 30, 1937 - March 13, 1938
Helen M. HEINZ, Teacher
Photograph & Student Roll Submission by John McLaughlin
Return to Cerro Gordo School Index Page
Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page