Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
Cerro Gordo County
This is the southeast township in the county. It is bounded on the north by Owen township, the east by Floyd county, on the south by
Franklin county, and on the west by Geneseo township. It is a prairie township, the surface is rolling and the soil of a very productive quality.
Coldwater creek passes through the township, running in a southeasterly course, leaving the territory from section 36, entering Floyd county.
This team furnishes an abundant supply of water for stock and drains the township in a very complete manner.
Daniel Dougherty made the first settlement, on section 36, in 1863, upon land he had taken up in 1856. In about a year from the date of his arrival, a fellow countryman, John Humphrey, also came on from Clayton county and bought the west half of the southwest quarter of section 36, where he lived until 1875, at which time he removed to Mason township. Daniel Dougherty, the pioneer settler of Dougherty township. born in the county of Donegal, Ireland, Feb. 18, 1829, came and entered the southwest quarter of section 36, township 94, range 19, what is now Dougherty township, and made actual settlement on the same in 1863. He was reared on a farm in his native land, and in 1851 came to America, landed at Philadelphia and spent two years there. He then went to Montgomery Co., Penn., and labored in an iron furnace. In 1856 he visited Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa, and after entering his land, returned and continued work in the furnace as foreman until 1858, when, with his family, he started for Iowa, traveling on the cars to Dunleith, on steam boat to McGregor, Iowa, arriving at their destination after fours days travel. He there located in Giard township, where he rented a farm and later bought forty acres. In 1860 he was elected a member of the board of supervisors of the county, and was re-elected in 1862.In 1863 he resigned that office and came to Cerro Gordo county and settled on his land, being the first settler in Dougherty township. He built a log house and his land near the corner of four counties: Cerro Gordo, Floyd, Franklin and Butler. He took an active interest in the settlement of this section, acting as agent for different parties in selling land in his vicinity. The family occupied their log house until 1869, when he built the house in which he now lives, on the northwest quarter of section 36, and, in 1872, he built a barn 40 X 60 feet. He owns 720 acres of land and has the finest apple orchard in northern Iowa. It contains over 1,000 trees. He was married in 1848 to Mary Gallagher, a native of Donegal, Ireland. They have had fifteen children, twelve of whom are living - Hugh, Charles, Patrick, Daniel, James, Mary, John, Margaret, Bernard, Edward and Catharine T. (twins), William and Annie. Three children, William, William N. and Margaret, died in infancy. The oldest son, Hugh, is married and has three children and lives on the south- west quarter of section 25. Charles is married and has three children and lives on the northeast quarter of section 26. Patrick is a lawyer, is married and resides in Mason City. James is married and resides on the southeast quarter of section 26. The rest of the children make their home with the parents. Mary is a teacher in the public schools. Mr. Dougherty is a prominent man and is well-respected. He started poor but has made himself wealthy. He is a life-long democrat, has served Cerro Gordo county as county supervisor two terms, and in 1880, was a candidate for the democratic ticket for register of the State land office. He represented the State at the Baltimore convention in ....... and is still quite prominent in politics.
In 1868 Patrick Moran, a native of Ireland, came from Wisconsin and settled in the northeast quarter of section 2, where he still lived in 1883. In company with Mr. Moran came Joseph Kirk, a native of Bohemia, and settled on section 2, where he died in December, 1876. William and James, brothers of Patrick Moran, came in 1868 and purchased the south... quarter of section 2, and improved the same, but made their home with their father in Jefferson Co., Wis. John Crapsor also came in 1868 from Franklin county, and located on section 35, where he lived ten years and then returned to Franklin county.
James Jessmore, a French Canadian stone mason by trade, came from Oshkosh , was., and settled on the northwest quarter of section 14, in 1869, where he built a house, in which he lived until 1870, in which he moved to Marble Rock and was engaged at working at his trade.
A. P. Ames, a native of the State of Maine, came to the township in 1868 and located on section 12, improved his land and lived there eight years, and retired to Dakota territory.
T.H. Harris came in 1869 and settled on section 13, where he lived eight years and then removed to Franklin county near the town of Sheffield.
George A. Massee came to Dougherty township in 1874, locating on the southwest quarter of section 10. Though wild land when purchased, he has so improved and cultivated it, that he now has a desirable home, having erected a good frame dwelling house and barn, and beautified it with shade and ornamental trees. He was born in Oneida co., N.Y., in 1840. When twelve years old his parents moved to Kane Co., Il., where he made his home until 1870, then went to Manchester, Delaware Co., Iowa, remaining until 1874. He was married in 1873 to Julia Ferris, born near Columbus, Ohio. The have two children - Nellie and Frank.
William Keenan came to Clear Lake in 1871. He was born in Pennsylvania, Feb. 20, 1849. When but two years old his parents moved to Wisconsin and settled in Washington county, where they were among the early settlers. They crossed Rock river on a log, the father carrying the children over one by one. The subject of this sketch made his home with his parents until eighteen years of age, when he went to Fond due Lac county, and carried the United States mail for fourteen months and then returned home and worked at the carpenter's trade. In 1871 he came to Iowa, first settling at clear Lake, but a year later removed to Dougherty township, where he had the contract of building the Catholic church. In 1874 he went to Wisconsin and was married to Catherine Rice. They returned to Dougherty township and located on section 36, on land previously purchased. In 1876 he engaged in the mercantile business. In 1881 he started a wagon shop, and in 1883 was engaged in this trade and also in running a store. They have three children - Ellie, Alice and Annie.
Patrick Broderick became a resident of the township in 1877, locating on the southeast quarter of section 16, which he bought in that year and on which he now makes his home. he has erected a good set of buildings, set out a grove and put his farm in good cultivation. Since he came here he has taken an active interest in matters of education, and is now secretary of the school board. He was born in Lenox, Berkshire co., Mass., Nov. 9, 1847. He was brought up to farming and received a common school education and also four terms at Marshall Academy, in Marshall village, Wis. His parents removed to that State when he was ten years old. he was married Nov. 30, 1871, to Hanora Hanifin, a native of Portland, Dodge co., Wis. He had bought a farm a few years previous on which he settled until 1877, when he came to Iowa. They are the parents of six children - Ellen, John Francis, Lydia E., Mary, Stephen and Agnes.
John Broderick Sr. is a native of Ireland, and became a resident of section 9, township of Dougherty, in 1877. He had improved his land, set out trees and made an addition to the house in which he now lives. he was born in Galway Co., Ireland, April 10, 1818. When twelve years of age he went to learn the tailor trade, which he pursued in Ireland till 1846, when he emigrated to America. he landed at Quebec, where he followed his trade four months, then went to Massachusetts and located at Lenox, and opened a tailor shop under than auspices of Peck & Co., proprietors of the Lenox Iron Works. Here he continued until 1850, when he removed to Wisconsin and settled in Dane county, where he was an early settler in Deerfield township. Here he opened a tailor shop, which he conducted two years, then bought land and engaged in farming until 1877, when he came to his present home in Iowa. He was married in 1843 to Catharine Maloney, who bore him ten children, eight of whom are now living - John, Mary, Patrick, Margaret, Michael, Catharine, Bridget and Lawrence. Mrs. Broderick died May 3, 1882, being sixty-four years of age. Henora, the first child, died in Ireland at the age of five; Bridget, the second, died in Lenox, Mass., aged two years and three months. Lawrence, Margaret and Catharine make their home with their father. Bridget is teaching school in Mitchell county, and Michael is married and lives on section 9.
Daniel Campbell, residing on section 20, is a native of Donegal, Ireland, born March 17, 1828, where he made his home until eighteen years of age, when he went to Ayrshire, Scotland, working until 1870, when he emigrated to America to seek a home. he went to Hazelton, Luzerne Co., Penn., where he worked at the mason trade three years, and in a coal mine one year, when he came to Iowa, buying wild land in West Fork township, Franklin county, which he improved nicely and sold, moving then to Dougherty, where he rented one year, then bought his present farm, upon section 20, upon which he has built a fine residence. he was married in 1853 to Bridget Gallagher, by whom he has had nine children - Francis, Marjie, John, Manus, Ann, James, David, Mary (deceased at six years of age) and Joseph.
The township was organized in 1870, and was named Prarie, but in 1871 it was changed to Dougherty in honor of its pioneer settler, Daniel Dougherty. The first general election was held Oct. 11, 1870, when the following officers were elected: Daniel Dougherty, Hugh Dougherty and T. H. Harris, trustees; J. McMannis, clerk; K. Conougherton and T. H. Harris, justices of the peace; Patrick Moran, assessor; Patrick Moran and Hugh Dougherty, constables; K. Conougherton, road supervisor. At the election held at the Center school house, Nov. 7, 1882, the following officers were elected: Michael McLaughlin, Francis Campbell, and Daniel Dougherty, trustees; John Broderick, assessor; William Connors, clerk; Daniel Dougherty, Manace Gallougher, justices of the peace; W. O. Holman and r. Conougherton, constables.
The first white child born in the township, was John, a son of Daniel and Mary (Gallagher) Dougherty, July 1, 1863.
The first death was Joseph Kirk, who died in December, 1870, and was buried in the Catholic cemetery.
The first marriage was that of Thomas Conners to Mary Cahill, which occurred in March, 1878.
The first school house was built in 1864 on the northwest quarter of section 36. The first teacher was Elizabeth Irwin. Daniel Dougherty and John Humphrey furnished the scholars. This building was used until 1869, when it became too small for the accommodation of the district, and a new one was provided on the southwest quarter of section 25. The first school building was then sold, to be used as a church, and in 1870 the township bought it back again and moved it to the northeast quarter of section 23. In 1883 there were seven sub-districts and eight school houses. The people of this township, have always taken a deep interest in educational matters, usually having eight months of schooling annually. The patrons of the school have always been favorable to home talent for their teachers, and been ready to pay good wages, and by this method have been enabled to have the best schools in the county.
Prior to 1883, there were no religious denominations in the township except the Catholic. They celebrated their first Mass at the school house in
1865, Father Murphy, of Waverly, Iowa, officiating as Priest, at which time, he delivered a very learned discourse upon the state of society before
and after the advent of Christ. Meetings were held at the school house until 1870, when a commodious church was built, it being a neat frame
edifice situated on the southeast quarter of section 25.
West Fork Township
The first post office in the township called Ingham and was located on the northwest quarter of section 16. L. T. John was the fist postmaster. About the same date, in 1857 or 1858, L.N. Lockwood petitioned for a post office to be on or near section 2, of what is now West Fork township. The petition was granted, and the office called Coldwater, and James M. Chambers appointed postmaster. After several yeas this office was moved just across the line into Butler county. In 1879 Ingham post office was abandoned and the one at Sheffield took its place. In 1883 there was no post office within the township, the Coldwater office being just in the edge of Butler county, and accommodated the inhabitants, who lived nearer this than to Sheffield.
This is the southeast township of Cerro Gordo County. It is bounded on the north by Owen township, on the east by Floyd county, on the south by
Franklin county, and on the west by Geneseo township. It is a prairie township, the surface is rolling and the soil is black loam of a very productive
quality. Coldwater creek passes diagonally through the township, running in a southeasterly course leaving the territory from section 36 and
entering Floyd county where it eventually flows into the Shell Rock river near Greene. This stream furnishes an ample supply of water for stock
and drains the township in a very complete manner.
Daniel Dougherty, a native of County Donegal, Ireland, made the first settlement in 1863 on section 36, on land that he had entered in 1856. He came here from Clayton county, where he owned a farm, and at once built a log house on his land near the corner of the four counties. Cerro Gordo, Franklin, Floyd and Butler. He took an active interest in the settlement of this section, acting as agent for different parties in selling land in this vicinity. The family occupied this residence until 1869, when they moved out of the log cabin into a commodious residence he had built, on the north bank of the Coldwater on the same section. About fifteen years ago, he, with Mrs. Dougherty, and some of the younger children, moved to Rockwell, but in the event of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway passing through the township and giving the people a station and a market, he moved back again and built a handsome residence in the new town, where he now resides in 1910.The family consists of sixteen children, twelve of whom are living, nine boys and three girls. Rev. E.J. Dougherty, of Mason City being one of the number. In politics Mr. Dougherty has always been a Democrat and has taken an active part in state and national issues, and has been honored by the people at different times in electing him to office.
John Humphrey, a native of Ireland, came here in 1864 from Clayton county with a family of two boys and four girls and settled on the southwest quarter of section 36, where he lived until 1875, at which time he moved to Mason township, and later into Mason City. Perhaps one of the saddest events that occurred in the early settlement of the township was the death of Mathew Humphrey, a cousin of the above named John Humphrey, who also came from Clayton county about the year 1873 and built a small house on the southeast corner of section 22. On Christmas eve, of the same year, returning home from the timber at Marble Rock with a load of wood on his wagon, night and darkness overtook him with a bitter cold northwest wind blowing in his face, and the unfortunate man was overcome with the cold and was found dead and frozen the following morning leaning across the tongue of his wagon in an effort, it would seem, to unhitch his team from the load, having succeeded in unhitching three of the traces.
George B. Merrick with his wife and family of seven boys and one girl, arrived here from near Rockford, Illinois, in 1865, purchased a section of land in sections 25 and 13 making his home in Marble Rock while he was breaking and improving his land, and permanently settling on his farm in 1870, where he lived up to the time of his death. His sons, G.F., lived on one of the farms on section 13. P. Moran came here from Wisconsin in 1868 and settled on a farm on section 2, where he lived until 1883, afterwards moving with his family to Dakota. In company with Mr. Moran came Joseph Kirk, a native of Bohemia, and opened a farm of 80 acres on section 2, where he died two years later. His wife, two sons and two daughters survive him. One son, Patrick, with his mother, is still living on the homestead. J.O Crapsor came from Franklin county in 1868 and located with his wife and a family of four boys on section 35, where he lived ten years, after which he returned to Franklin county, and after a few years moving again, into the town of Nashua, Chichasaw county, where he died. His wife and three sons survive him.
James Jessmore, a French Canadian, came from Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and settled on the northwest quarter of section 14 in 1869, where he built a sod house in which he lived only a year, afterwards moving into Marble Rock.
Among others in the early settlement of the township we might mention Charles McConlogue, father of Colonel McConlogue, of Mason City, who came here with his family from Wisconsin and settled on section 35, where he broke up a farm on which he lived several years raising a large family of boys and girls, he being obliged to act in the double capacity of father and mother, his wife having died shortly after their arrival in Iowa. Mr. McConlogue died several years ago and could feel conscious that he had done his duty in the rearing and bringing up his family.
A.T. Ames came here from the state of Maine and settled on section 12 in 1868, where he built a sod house and broke up some land, living there eight years. But Mr. Ames, being one of those men who liked frontier life, and wanted to be alone, moved again to Dakota as the settlers began to come in here.
T.H,. Harris came from Canada and settled with his family on section 13, where he lived eight years and then moved to Sheffield, Franklin county, afterwards moving to Mason City, where he died.
R. Connaughton, a native of Ireland, came here from Illinois about the same time and settled with his wife and family on section 36, where the new town of Dougherty now stands. Mr. Connaughton lived here a number of years, when he moved to Lincoln township and from thence to Dakota.
In the fall of 1869 Thomas and John McManus, in company with five other prospective settlers, came here in a covered wagon from Winneshiek county, and purchased 160 acres on section 24, where they built a house and did some breaking, the following year moving on to their land in the spring of 1871 in company with their father, Redmond McManus, a native of Ireland, and their three sisters. Their father died in 1885 at the advanced age of eighty-five years. Two daughters and one son survive him. Mrs. Ellen O. Dowd of Charles City and Mary McManus of the same place, and Thomas, who still lives on the old homestead. The other parties who accompanied them purchased land and made small payments, but becoming discouraged with the county failed to make a settlement and returned to their homes.
Michael Mitchell moved here from Charles City with his wife and family and settled on section 24, where he lived many years, afterwards moving into Floyd county, and later removing into the new town of Dougherty, where he still resides, his wife having died within the present year.
James Howland came here from Fayette county in 1870 and located on section 3, where he built a house and otherwise improved his farm, at one time owning 800 acres in this township, which he has disposed of since, afterwards moving into Geneseo township, where he owns 240 acres of land. he built the first house on the town plat in Rockwell where he still resides. The writer can remember when The Howland House, as it was called, was the only dwelling on the prairie - with the exception of Alack Ames’ sod shanty - between Rockwell and the new town of Dougherty, a distance of twelve miles. As we look back into those forty years we cannot help noticing the change. Now we have a house on every quarter section and quite frequently on every eighty acres.
It would be a pleasure to the writer to make personal mention of the settlers as they arrived here, but this would be a laborious task and would fill several pages, besides we understand there will be a part of this work giving biographical sketches of families from knowledge procured from themselves. I merely wish to point out the current events in the early settlement and development of the township and give the names of the few early pioneers who blazed the way that others might follow, and by their pluck, energy and perseverance, established a settlement here when his country was practically a wilderness, making it to blossom and to bloom like a garden of flowers. In 1875 a number of families came here from near Madison, Wisconsin, and about the same time a colony came from the mining district of Pennsylvania and settled on farms in different parts of the township.
The township was organized in 1870 and was named Prairie but in 1871 it was changed to Dougherty in honor of its first settler, Daniel Dougherty. The first general election was held October 11, 1870, when the following officers were elected: John McManus, township clerk; R. Connaughton and T.H. Harris, justices of the peace; P. Moran, assessor; P. Moran and Hugh Dougherty, constables; R. Connaughton, road supervisor.
The first white child born in the township was John, a son of Daniel and Mary Dougherty, whose birth occurred July 1, 1863, his parents taking him all the way to Waverly, fifty miles distance, in their lumber wagon, to have him baptized. The first death was Joseph Kirk, a veteran of the Civil war, who died in 1970 and was buried in the Catholic cemetery here. The first marriage was that of Thomas Conners to Mary Cahill which occurred in March, 1878.
The first school was built on section 36, in 1864, and was taught by Miss Elizabeth Irvin of Clayton county, John Humphrey and Daniel Dougherty furnishing the scholars. In time, this building became too small to accommodate the pupils and was replaced by a better and larger house in 1870, John McManus teaching the fist school in the newly organized township. Today there are nine public schools and a parochial school in the township, the latter presided over by five sisters of the Presentation order, their headquarters being at Dubuque.
The first public worship offered in the township was the sacrifice of the Mass celebrated by Rev. Father Murphy of Waverly, in the school house in 1865. In 1871 a comfortable church was built by Rev. father Feely of Charles City, but before its completion he was removed and was succeeded by Rev. D. J. Flannery, now of Davenport, who finished the structure. The settlement had grown so large that in 1875 this church had become too small and was enlarged by Rev. Father Riley of Mason City. Again in 1890 it was found to be inadequate to accommodate the congregation and was sold and a magnificent frame structure erected in its place together with a parochial school, Rev. M. Hogan being the pastor, who was then comfortably located in a residence of his own in connection with the church.
In the fall of 1896 both church and school were completely destroyed by fire, the loss being about $15,000. But with a zeal and determination characteristic of the people of Dougherty they went to work and in less than two years time, phoenix-like, a better church and school rose from the ashes. Rev. Father Rieley is the pastor, who has also the supervision of the school, whose teachers rank among some of the best educators in the state of Iowa. In 1890 a Union church was built of Frank Deitrich’s farm now owned by Wm. Reed on section 10, but was afterwards moved into the new town of Cartersville, where it still remains. Rev. Miller, a Methodist clergyman, preached the first sermon.
In 1902 a Methodist church was built in the new town of Dougherty, in which services were held regularly, Rev. George Reynolds being the first pastor, but at the present time they have no regular pastor and the church is indefinitely closed.
The first railroad train passed through the township in 1900, over the Chicago & Northwestern road, and gave the people a station, where the new town of Dougherty now stands. The first bank was opened up the same year in a small frame building with C.H. McNider of Mason City president and W.J. Christians, cashier. Today a handsome brick structure has taken its place, Mr. McNider being still president and the genial Will Christians still behind the desk, with his son Charley, assistant cashier.
The first store and post office in the township was managed by Wm. Keenen, now of Rockwell, and was opened up in 1872, the post office being named after the stream which flows through the township, Coldwater. W.J. Fowler was the first blacksmith in the new town and also the fist postmaster. The first general stores were conducted by Murphy and Drew, Arnold and Son, Mullen and Sons, McAloon and Rieley.
P. Moran was the first to open up a hardware store, and Joseph Cribs the first harness shop. A Mr. Weaver opened up the first drug store and a Mr. Swallow started in the same business. P. Riely built and conducted the first hotel. Walter Wise, now of Mason City, was the first ticket agent, and Sweeney and Son, conducted the first livery barn. Nye, Schnider Fowler & Co. and the Northern Grain Co. built and operated the first grain elevators in 1900, but the farmers becoming dissatisfied with their prices and methods organized a company of their own and purchased the elevator owned by the Northern Grain company, and are doing a very successful business.
E.M. Wilson owned and edited the first newspaper in 1902 and did the printing in James Dougherty’s barn, naming the paper the Dougherty World. Some years later Oscar Lathrop purchased the paper and changed the name to The world, which name it still retains.
The first physician was Dr. Hunter, and the first lawyer was P.J. Dougherty. The first lawsuit was held in the school house, R. Connaughton being the justice, and D. Dougherty and T. H. Harris the attorneys on either side of the case.
The first mayor was D. Dougherty, with E.M. Wilson as clerk. Councilmen: P. Moran, Jacob Lydog, West Wren, J. W. Fowler and Joseph Cribs; J. W. Christian, treasurer. The present council are R. Lalor, mayor; T.J. Brady, clerk; Jas. Dougherty, P. Moran, Jas. Brady, John Lipps and D. McLaughlin.
The Tribune's Daily Magazine
By any other name - well, it just wouldn't be! This town is Dougherty, in Dougherty township, at the southeast corner of Cerro Gordo county. The first white settler was Daniel Dougherty, an Irish immigrant from County Donegal, who filed on the land in 1856 and settled in a log cabin here in 1863. The first white child born here was the late Jack Dougherty (it's pronounced "Dowerty") who arrived on July 1, 1863, a month after his mother came here by covered wagon from Monona.
The township was organized in 1870 and named Prairie - but this was changed to Dougherty within a year. The first township trustees were Daniel and son, Hugh. First mayor of the town was Daniel Dougherty; first constable, Hugh. The first schoolhouse was built in 1864 - and was filled with Dougherty children and Humphreys, the latter a family who had followed Daniel from Monona. In fact, one Matthew Hunphreys was frozen to death, while trying to unhitch his team, at Marble Rock while en route to Dougherty.
The town's first lawyer was P.J. Dougherty, son of Dan. The first newspaper here, called "The Dougherty World," (how true!) was published by E.M. Wilson - in Jim Dougherty's barn. (Jim was another of Dan's sons).
Even today, you walk into the Dougherty post office for your mail - and it's handed to you by Miss Marle Dougherty, postmaster since 1940, or her clerk and sister, Miss Anne Dougherty.
Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Dougherty, both Irish-born, lived in Norristown, Penn., before the trek to Iowa. In Norristown, Dan had worked in a lime kiln a year, saving his money to send to Mary Gallagher, his bride, for the six-week sail-boat trip to America to join him.
Dan first came to the Midwest with two other immigrants. His goal was Minneapolis. But at Dubuque he became ill. The two companions trekked on - to be massacred by Indians in Minnesota.
After farming a few years at Monona, Dan brought his family - the start of it - to Cerro Gordo County. In all, the Dougherty's had 16 children. Today, five survive. In a large yellow farmhouse east of town, across the road from St. Patrick's Catholic church - "the Dougherty church," three daughters of old Daniel are living.
They are Mrs. John Wade, 90; Miss Margaret, 85; and Miss Theresa, 83. Sons are Barney, father of the postmistress, who lives on the old home farm, and Joe, of Butte, Mont.
Miss Theresa was a twin to the late Rt. Rev. Msgr. Edward Dougherty, who served the church for more than a half century in northeastern Iowa, including Cresco, Waverly, Dubuque, and Waterloo. He died about a year ago.
Miss Theresa, who with a gleam in her eye calls herself "the youngest girl in the house," was born in old Dan's log cabin, down beside the creek south of town.
"An Indian squaw who lived south a bit used to come to the log cabin to help mother when the babies came," she said.
"All of the children born here were hauled in a lumber wagon the 40 miles to Waverly to be baptized."
"Margaret and I were the girls who stayed at home to help mother. My only regret, now, is that I didn't have a chance to spend much time with Ed, the monsignor. Once, for a short while, I was housekeeper for him - when he got his first church."
The town of Dougherty, on the North Western railroad, which came here in 1900, is about 11 miles northeast of Ebelfield.
"A Bit O' Ireland -- And They Named It Doughery." Daily Magazine, Des Moines Tribune 26 Feb 1952.
The Dougherty World Newspaper, 1910
By Thomas McManus
Daniel Dougherty came from Clayton County, Iowa to Dougherty
township and made the first settlement in 1863.
Others to follow were: John Humphrey from Clayton county in
1864; Nicholas Cunningham came from Penn. in 1864 and settled
on a farm across the line in Floyd County and later purchased
property in Dougherty township; George Merrick from Rockford,
Illinois in 1865; Charles McConlogue from Wisconsin in 1868;
A.T. Ames from Maine in 1868; T.H. Harris came from Canada
in 1868; R. Connaughton from Illinois in 1868; Pat Moran
and Joseph Kirk families from Wisconsin in 1868; Thomas & John
McManus from Wisconsin in 1869; J.O. Crapsor from Franklin
County in 1868; James Jessmore from Oshkosh, Wisc., in 1869.
Robert Mullin came here from Wisconsin in 1880 and settled
on a large farm across the line in Franklin county, but later
moved into Dougherty.
At about this time settlers began to come here in large
numbers. some in colonies and some singly. In the early
1880's, a colony of settlers came from near Madison, Wisconsin,
composed of Michael Gorman, Michael Burke, Patrick Broderick,
Patrick McLaughlin, Patrick Conners, John Cahill, Dan O'Connor,
Owen Murphy, Daniel McLaughlin, and others who purchased land
and made settlement here, having sold their farms in the
Badger state and came here with considerable capital, a little
different to the settlers who preceded them.
About this time John Mullen and family came here from
Wisconsin and purchased the Keenan Store in Cold Water.
Another colony came here from the coal fields of Pennsylvania
and settled on land, among whom were David Campbell, John
McMenimen, Hugh McMonagle, Edward Trston, Neal Boyle, Daniel
McGee, Manus Gallagher, Timothy Boyle, the Kelley brothers, James
Brislin, John McGree, Neice Campbell, and others, all of whom had
families and built homes, coming here to stay.
Prior to this, John Seward and family came here from the
Woverine state, also Richard Lalor from near Madison; George
Massey from southern Iowa.
Another colony came here from Clarmount, Iowa, among whom
were: J.B. McGaharan, Eugene Herley, Tom Moran, James McGary,
John and William Barragy, P.H. Cahalan, J.F. Ormsby, the latter
coming from Clayton County.
The late P.C. Burke and family came here about 1884 from near
Dubuque and purchased the large farm formerly owned by J.O.
Crapsor, one of the first settlers.
Among some of the early settlers not previously named were
J.M. Sutten, Ben Weaver, T. Calkins, Michael Kelsh, John
Mulligan, Tom Kelly, the Hogan brothers and Patrick Donnelly.
Aside from these came a floating population known as frontier
men who lived here a few years, built a cabin, raised a few crops,
and moved further west in order to get ahead of civilization
where hunting and trapping were more profitable.
These men belonged to the class of the frontier men, who, when
he rose one morning, saw smoke issuing from a "prairie schooner"
up the river, and on investigation found a settler had located on
a claim a mile away, who coming home told his wife, "we must
move off", as this country was becoming too thickly settled
for them to remain longer.
About fifteen years ago Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Dougherty and some
of the younger children moved to Rockwell, but in the event
of the Chicago & North Western Railway passing through the
township and giving the people a station and a market, he
moved back again.
The Daily Times
Others to follow were: John Humphrey from Clayton county in 1864; Nicholas Cunningham came from Penn. in 1864 and settled on a farm across the line in Floyd County and later purchased property in Dougherty township; George Merrick from Rockford, Illinois in 1865; Charles McConlogue from Wisconsin in 1868; A.T. Ames from Maine in 1868; T.H. Harris came from Canada in 1868; R. Connaughton from Illinois in 1868; Pat Moran and Joseph Kirk families from Wisconsin in 1868; Thomas & John McManus from Wisconsin in 1869; J.O. Crapsor from Franklin County in 1868; James Jessmore from Oshkosh, Wisc., in 1869.
Robert Mullin came here from Wisconsin in 1880 and settled on a large farm across the line in Franklin county, but later moved into Dougherty.
At about this time settlers began to come here in large numbers. some in colonies and some singly. In the early 1880's, a colony of settlers came from near Madison, Wisconsin, composed of Michael Gorman, Michael Burke, Patrick Broderick, Patrick McLaughlin, Patrick Conners, John Cahill, Dan O'Connor, Owen Murphy, Daniel McLaughlin, and others who purchased land and made settlement here, having sold their farms in the Badger state and came here with considerable capital, a little different to the settlers who preceded them.
About this time John Mullen and family came here from Wisconsin and purchased the Keenan Store in Cold Water. Another colony came here from the coal fields of Pennsylvania and settled on land, among whom were David Campbell, John McMenimen, Hugh McMonagle, Edward Trston, Neal Boyle, Daniel McGee, Manus Gallagher, Timothy Boyle, the Kelley brothers, James Brislin, John McGree, Neice Campbell, and others, all of whom had families and built homes, coming here to stay.
Prior to this, John Seward and family came here from the Woverine state, also Richard Lalor from near Madison; George Massey from southern Iowa.
Another colony came here from Clarmount, Iowa, among whom were: J.B. McGaharan, Eugene Herley, Tom Moran, James McGary, John and William Barragy, P.H. Cahalan, J.F. Ormsby, the latter coming from Clayton County.
The late P.C. Burke and family came here about 1884 from near Dubuque and purchased the large farm formerly owned by J.O. Crapsor, one of the first settlers.
Among some of the early settlers not previously named were J.M. Sutten, Ben Weaver, T. Calkins, Michael Kelsh, John Mulligan, Tom Kelly, the Hogan brothers and Patrick Donnelly. Aside from these came a floating population known as frontier men who lived here a few years, built a cabin, raised a few crops, and moved further west in order to get ahead of civilization where hunting and trapping were more profitable.
These men belonged to the class of the frontier men, who, when he rose one morning, saw smoke issuing from a "prairie schooner" up the river, and on investigation found a settler had located on a claim a mile away, who coming home told his wife, "we must move off", as this country was becoming too thickly settled for them to remain longer.
About fifteen years ago Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Dougherty and some of the younger children moved to Rockwell, but in the event of the Chicago & North Western Railway passing through the township and giving the people a station and a market, he moved back again.
The Daily Times
Born 8-16-1795 ~ Deceased 4-22-1895
Mrs. Mary (Malloy) Dougherty, departed this life in Dougherty township, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, at the home of her son James Dougherty, on the 22 of April, 1895.
Mrs. Dougherty was born in the parish of Conwell [Conwall], in the county of Donegal, Ireland, on the 15th cay of August, 1795. Her maiden name was Mary Malloy. she was left an orphan when a little girl, and was taken by her uncle, rev. Father Daniel O'Donnell, and with him she lived until she was married to Hugh Dougherty, of Cloomcarney [Cloncarney, var. of Clooncarney], County of Donegal, which place was only a short distance from where she herself was born.
She was married when just entering womanhood, and her husband lived to be a very old man, dying about eighteen years ago. to this union there were six children born, three girls and three boys. The girls all died in infancy, but here sons, Hon. Daniel Dougherty, of Dougherty township, this county; James Dougherty, of the same place; and Barney Dougherty, who also makes this county his home, are still living, and were with her when she silently and contentedly passed "beyond the vale of tears."
Her son, Hon. Daniel Dougherty, some ten years ago, visited his native country and so anxious was he to have his mother spend her last day near him in this country, that he induced her and her son James, with whom she was living, and James's family, to come to America. There was no one stood the long and tedious journey any better than the hero of this sketch, although in the eighty ninth year of her age.
She was a most remarkable woman in many ways. She could recount vividly incidents that occurred eighty and ninety years ago, and her descriptive powers, even to within the last year of her life were most remarkable.
Contributed by John McLaughlin
Return to Cerro Gordo History Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page