Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
609 S. 8th, Clear Lake
Cerro Gordo County, Iowa
Two revival movements in 1935 - Bible Standard Conference of Eugene and Open Bible Evangelistical Associtaion of Des Moines - merged to become Open Bible Standard Churches. Open Bible is an evangelistic, Pentecostal movement.
The Church in Clear Lake came into existence from two evangelistic meetings in the area held in the late 1930's and early 1940's.
Under the leadership of Chauncey and Alice Merwin in the late 1930's, a series of evangelistic meetings were conducted. These meetings gave the church its start. Following these meetings, services were held in various places which included th Merwin home.
A church site was purchased at 2nd Avenue and 10th Street in Clear Lake. The first service at this location has held on March 28, 1944. This church, named Bethel Chapel, served the congregation for six years. A new church home was built at 609 South 8th Street. The congregation moved into the new church in 1950.
In the mid-1940's Evelyn Elefson helped establish the Open Bible Standard Church, which was located on East Main, Clear Lake. This congregation later merged with the Bethel Chapel congregation.
During the spring of 1954, the congregation voted to become officially the Open Bible Church.
There have been eight pastors since 1954:
Submission by Sharon R. Becker, November of 2013
Return to Cerro Gordo Church Index Page
Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page