Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
1001 9th Avenue South, Clear Lake
Lake Township, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa
St. Patrick's Catholic Church of Clear Lake, IA, celebrated its first Mass on June 10, 1901 under the direction of Fr. Garret NAGLE. The site, which is now Clear Lake Bank & Trust, had previously been a Congregational Church.
Among those families present at the first Mass were the PATTERSONS, STORKS, GOODELLS, HUBERS, OLESENS, PATTIES, CARNEYS, WHITES and McCABES. Other families soon followed: SHERIDONS, DOYLES, MINETTES, WEIRS, NERBECKMOES, BISGROVES, CHIZEKS, SKENES, McGUIRES, HOFERS and WESTOVERS.
In 1904, Fr. M. CAROLYN was placed in charge of the parish, with his assistants Fr. William TORPY and Patrick MALLOY serving the spiritual needs of the Clear Lake Catholics.
In 1909 the church was destroyed by fire, but the altar and many furnishings were saved. Mass was then said in Sprague Hall which was located on Main Street.
A new church was ready for use in the fall of 1911, with Fr. MALLOY as Pastor, on the west side of South 8th Street. In 1915, Fr. V. J. BACCI was appointed pastor of Clear Lake. In 1917, under the direction of Fr. BACCI, the church moved across the street to the corner of South 8th Street and 2nd Avenue South.
The Ladies Guild, involving all the ladies of the parish, was responsible for many of the fundraising events, including bazaars, chicken or turkey dinners and donut sales. The men of the parish belonged to the Holy Name Society. Our Lady of the Lake, Catholic Daughters of America, was active in the parish from 1930-1972. The Knights of Columbus continues to be an extremely active organization sponsoring the Annual Irish Stew Dinner.
Fr. BACCI served the parish until 1931, at which point Fr. E. J. SUPPLE took over and became the first resident pastor in Clear Lake. A permanent residence for the priest was needed and a new rectory was built inn 1936 next door to the church.
Fr. SUPPLE was succeeded in 1943 by Fr. J. J. BUZYNSKI, who had three assistants: Fr. Louis WUNDER, the first permanent assistant, who served from 1961 to 1963; Fr. Thomas F. McANDREW, serving from 1963-1968; and Fr. Nicholas M. CIGRAND, serving from 1968-1969.
Shortly after Fr. BUZYNSKI arrived in 1943, he recognized the need for a new church building due to the growth of the parish and the many summer visitors. By 1957, he was able to purchase the land at 1001 9th Avenue South. This included seven acres of land and a small house which was incorporated into the present rectory. The former church and rectory were sold and the church was razed.
The new church for St. Patrick's would seat 500 persons and the 18 stained glass windows depict St. Patrick, St. Peter, Pope John and the 15 mysteries of the rosary. The first Mass was celebrated there on August 23, 1959. Construction of the new church and rectory was completed for a total of $231,500.
Fr. James DELAY followed Fr. BUZYNSKI, and served as pastor from 1969 to 1981. He was followed by Fr. Joseph GRIFFIN, who served from 1981 to 1982. Fr. James DUSTER followed Fr. GRIFFIN, who served from 1982 to 1986. Fr. Edward SHIELDS served the parish from 1986-1991. Rev. Msgr. Joseph SLEPICKA served from 1991 to 1999, when Rev. Msgr Robert G. HOGAN arrived.
On March 16, 2006, Msgr. Robert G. HOGAN passed away. Archbishop HANUS appointed retired priest, Msgr. John W. HEMANN as Parochial Administrator until a full-time pastor would be assigned. On July 11, 2006 Fr. John R. TILP began serving St. Patrick's as our pastor.
Historical information is from the Clear Lake Mirror Reporter, the Globe Gazette, and a previous history of the parish compiled by Roger MILES as a service project for his Eagle Award in Boy Scouting.
Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, February of 2011
The Globe Gazette
St. Patrick's Catholic Church of Clear Lake will celebrate its centennial with music and feasting next weekend.
Mass was first celebrated at Clear Lake by the Rev. Garrett NAGLE on June 10, 1901. The site, currently the home of Clear Lake Bank and Trust, had previously been a Congregational Church. Among the families present at the first Mass were the CARNEYS, GOODELLS, HUBERS, OLESENS, McCABES, PATTERSONS, PATTIES and WHITES.
In 1904, a new pastor was appointed to handle the spiritual needs of Clear Lake Roman Catholics along with two assistants, according to historical information compiled by the Globe Gazette, the Clear Lake Mirror Reporter and a church history compiled by Roger MILES as an Eagle Scout service project.
In 1909, that church was destroyed by fire, but the altar and many furnishings were saved. Mass was then said in Sprague Hall on Main Street. A new church was completed on the west side of South Eighth Street in 1911. Then in 1917, that church was moved to the corner of South Eighth Street and Second Avenue South.
In 1957, the Rev. J. J. BUZYNSKI, who was then pastor, purchased seven acres of land and a small house at the site of the current church and rectory, 1001 S. Ninth Ave. The former church and rectory were sold and the church was razed.
The new St. Patrick's Church, completed in 1959, seats 500 people. Its stained glass windows depict St. Patrick, St. Peter, Pope John and the 15 mysteries of the rosary. The current pastor is Monsignor Robert G. HOGAN.
Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, May of 2011
Return to Cerro Gordo Church Index Page
Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page