Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project

          

 

1883 History of
Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa

A. B. TUTTLE

A. B. Tuttle, a pioneer merchant, has been largely identified with the interests of Cerro Gordo county since he first settled within her borders, in the spring of 1856. He with his two brothers were pioneers of Clear Lake township, and his residence was the second built in the town of Clear Lake, which was then just laid out. He operated there as a farmer and gave considerable attention to the practice of law. In 1863 he removed to Mason City and embarked in commercial business, and included in his operations traffic in merchandise of varied character, dry goods, boots and shoes, and groceries, but after a time he limited his transactions chiefly to dry goods. His store is among the finest in Mason City, his stock presenting full lines of such merchandise as his patrons demand.

His long and intimate association with the people of Cerro Gordo county has secured a strong support for his business, and a feeling of confidence among his fellow citizens, which has a sure foundation in his manly uprightness and integrity.

Mr. Tuttle was born in Herkimer Co., N. Y., Jan. 24, 1825. He is a son of Ira and Lucy (Brockett) Tuttle, both of whom were natives of Connecticut. Ira Tuttle went, at seven years of age, to reside with his grandfather in Herkimer county. He there passed his youth, grew to man's estate and married. The family included four sons and four daughters, all of whom attained maturity.

Mr. Tuttle, of this sketch, the third son, was brought up on a farm until the age of fourteen, when he became a student at Fairfield Academy, and afterwards finished his "education at Clinton Seminary and Hamilton College, at Clinton. He graduated in 1848. He paid all the expenses of his collegiate course by teaching, and afterward continued his labors as a teacher while pursuing the studies necessary to fit him for an attorney. He was under the preceptorship of Professor Dwight, of Hamilton College. He finished his legal studies in 1851, and in that year was admitted to practice in all the courts of the Empire State.

He was married in 1849 to Harriet M., daughter of Allen Wightman, of Heikimer Co., N. Y.

In 1852 he went to Lake Co., Ohio, and became principal of Madison Seminary, where he remained a year, going thence to Ashtabula, Ohio, where he held for a time the post of principal of the schools. In 1854 Mr. Tuttle removed to Muscatine, Iowa, where he was principal of the High School for a season, and was also admitted to the bar. On his entrance into political life, Mr. Tuttle was an adherent of the free soil party, and on the organization of the republicans, as a factor in the political element, he joined their ranks and has since advocated their principles. About 1860 he was elected county superintendent, and served two years, organizing the first teachers' institute held in this county. He was the second mayor of Mason City, acted as councilman a considerable period, and was for twelve years a member of the school board. The fine public school building, erected at an expense of $30,000, is a lasting and creditable memento of the labors of himself and compeers during his official connection with the educational interests of Mason City.

Mr. and Mrs. Tuttle are the parents of two daughters and one son. Minnie E., eldest daughter, is the wife, of C. H. Hughes, attorney. The others are Hattie W. and Maynard Tuttle. The parents are members of the Baptist Church. It seems only just to Mr. Tuttle to state, that he has acted most vigorously and effectively with the temperance element of his county and State.

SOURCE: History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa. p. 984. Union Publishing Co. Springfield IL. 1883.

Transcription by Susan Steveson

 

 

  • Return to 1883 Biographies Index Page

  • Return to 1883 History Index Page

  • Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page

  •  


    © Copyright 1996-
    Cerro Gordo Co. IAGenWeb Project
    All rights Reserved.