Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project



1883 History of
Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa


In the spring of 1855 Charles Tenney, a native of Maine, and George Frederick, a German by birth, came from Kenosha Co., Wis. They came from McGregor on foot. Tenney selected the west half of the northeast quarter of section 8 and also bought the southeast quarter of that section. Frederick chose land in Rock Grove.

Mr. Tenney walked to the land office at Des Moines to enter his land. From there he went to Grinnell, Iowa, where he was joined by Frederick and they returned to Wisconsin, and in July of the same year they started back to Iowa with ox teams. In company with them were John Brown and Henry Senior, who settled in what is now Portland township. They were four weeks on their way. Tenney built a log cabin on his land which he covered with shakes and then laid puncheon floor.

He and his comrade Frederick were both single men and kept bachelor hall together; but Frederick married the following fall and settled on section 5, where he now resides. Tenney married two years later. He now lives on section 6.

SOURCE: History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa. p. 810. Union Publishing Co. Springfield IL. 1883.

Transcription by Susan Steveson



  • Return to 1883 Biographies Index Page

  • Return to 1883 History Index Page

  • Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page


    © Copyright 1996-
    Cerro Gordo Co. IAGenWeb Project
    All rights Reserved.