Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project

          

 

1883 History of
Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa

T. K. GALE

The first to engage in the marble business was George SHOCKY, in 1873, who sold an interest soon after to Mr. GALE, the firm name being then SHOCKY & GALE. They continued eighteen months, when Mr. ROTH bought SHOCKY'S interest in the business. About the same time BELL & RICE engaged in the business, following it until 1883, when Mr. GALE bought Mr. RICE out, leaving the business in the hands of GALE & RICE.

T. K. GALE has been a resident of Mason City since 1870. He came to Hardin Co., Iowa, in 1857, and built some of the best structures in Iowa Falls. He was also a prominent instrument in the organization of the first Sunday school at Georgetown, a competing town with Iowa Falls.

Mr. GALE was born in England in April, 1828. When nine-years-old he began to learn his trade of stone mason, and served an apprenticeship of five years, walking sixteen miles daily. The first four years he received 25 cents per day, and during his last year of service $3.50 per week.

He was married in 1843 to Anna ATTWOOLL. They have been the parents of seven children, one of whom died on the passage to America in 1857. Following are the names of the sons and daughters of Mr. and Mrs. GALE - Jennie, (wife of James RULE, vice-president of the City Bank), Hattie (Mrs. Mark BRADLEY), Absalom, a student at Iowa University, George, harness maker at Clear Lake, Thomas and Bertie.

Mr. and Mrs. GALE have been identified with the country for a quarter of a century. Mr. GALE has built some of the most prominent of the buildings of Mason City, among them the DYER House, and the M. E. Church of which he and his wife are members.

SOURCE: History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa. p. 996. Union Publishing Co. Springfield IL. 1883.

Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, February of 2011

 

 

  • Return to 1883 Biographies Index Page

  • Return to 1883 History Index Page

  • Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page

  •  


    © Copyright 1996-
    Cerro Gordo Co. IAGenWeb Project
    All rights Reserved.