Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project



1883 History of
Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa
Union Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois. 1883


Among the representative business men of Cerro Gordo county is George H. FELTHOUS, a native of Dubuque Co., Iowa, who located here in the summer of 11871, a few months after the village of Rockwell was laid out.

He came to Geneseo township first in the spring of 1869 and bought a farm of 280 acres on sections 17 and 19, improved the land the following season and took up his residence in Rockwell in 1871. He has been prominently identified with the town since its commencement.

In 1871 he built the warehouse which is now attacked to and forms a part of his elevator, the latter of which he built in 1875, which, with the warehouse, has a capacity of 15,000 bushels.

He engaged in the grain business immediately after locating here and continued the same until the fall of 1882, when he was succeeded by his brothers, J. A. and J. C. FELTHOUS.

In 1872 he built a dwelling house on the corner of A and Third streets, and the same year he sold the farm he first bought and purchased another on section 11. In 1883 he built the finest dwelling in the town, at that date, located on A and Fifth streets.

He has retired for the present from the grain business, but is actively engaged in other branches of trade. He is highly esteemed as a good business man and an excellent citizen.

He was born in Dubuque Co., Iowa, in 1848. His parents John H. and R. C. FELTHOUS, were natives of Germany and settled in Dubuque county at an early day. His father died in 1869, and the mother lives with her children in Rockwell.

Mr. FELTHOUS married Lucretia M. LYMAN, born in Pennsylvania. She is the oldest daughter of George E. and Sarah E. LYMAN, who reside near Rockwell.

SOURCE: History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa. p. 845. Union Publishing Co. Springfield IL. 1883.

Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, February of 2011



  • Return to 1883 Biographies Index Page

  • Return to 1883 History Index Page

  • Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page


    © Copyright 1996-
    Cerro Gordo Co. IAGenWeb Project
    All rights Reserved.