Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project

          

 

History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa
Union Publ. Co. Springfield IL. 1883.

"S" Biographies:  Sabin ~ Sutton

Compiled & Contributed by Susan Steveson

H. S. Sabin

[Page 923] H. S. Sabin is a son of New England by birth and descent. His father, Daniel Sabin, was a Baptist clergyman, and the influences of scholarly culture which surrounded the son have in a sense directed the chief object of his life, the education and material development of his own sons. They are in honorable and lucrative positions which they gained and retain through their pre-eminent abilities and learning. Arthur C. Sabin is accountant in the First National Bank, of Glenwood, Iowa. Alva Horton Sabin is a professor in the State University, of Burlington, Vt., and holds the chair of chemistry.

Mr. Sabin was born in Franklin Co., Vt., April 17, 1821. He received a good education, and has always maintained his familiarity with books, and kept pace with the times in knowledge of current events. In 1844 he was married to Zaida Vernal, and went to St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., where he engaged in farming, four years. He sold out and went back to Vermont, and afterwards, accompanied by his parents, went to Ripon, Wis. His father died there in July, 1882, aged eighty-seven years. His mother is yet residing in that place, and is ninety years old.

Mr. Sabin came to Iowa, in 1871, and purchased the farm where he now lives. During the ten years following his purchase he made many improvements on his place, when failing health compelled him to abandon active life and he returned to Wisconsin.

In the meantime he lost his wife. In February, 1879, he was married to Mrs. PhebeAnn (Smith) Delong, a native of Canada West. He has returned to and occupies his farm.

H. W. Sale

[Page 652] H. W. Sale, dentist, was born in Walkingham, Berkshire, England, Dec. 14, 1857. His father was a Baptist preacher. His mother was Mabel M. Knott. In 1864 he emigrated to this country, landing at New York, and from there proceeding to Belvidere, Ill., where he remained for a few years. In the fall of 1876 he went to Glenwood, Iowa, where he remained, under the instruction of Dr. Shriver, for three years, attending several courses given by the Nebraska State Society. In the spring of 1879 he came to Mason City and is now receiving a good practice.

Ellsworth H. Sampson

[Page 865] Ellsworth H. Sampson settled in the county in 1869. He first lived at Clear Lake and followed the carpenter's trade. In 1872 he engaged in farming in Lincoln township. In 1875 he settled on section 34, Grant township, where he still resides, owning 160 acres. He was born Nov. 15, 1848. his parents were T. S. and Electa L. Sampson. In 1853 the family migrated to Illinois; four years later to Kansas, afterwards to Wisconsin, and in 1869 to Iowa and settled on Clear Lake where the parents still reside.

In January, 1872, he married Mary L. Goodwin, daughter of C. S. and Rosanna Goodwin. They have four children - Zelma, Clara, Rosanna and Clyde.

George W. Sanborn

[Page 971] George W. Sanborn, superintendent of the Iowa and Dakota division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, was born in Bath, N. H., Sept. 25, 1832. He is the eldest of five sons; his parents being Martin L. Sanborn and Emeline Smith. Mr. Sanborn received a good common school education and remained on his father's farm until he attained his majority, when he left his native hills to seek his fortune in the great west. He came to Milwaukee, Wis., and went to work on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, which was then in its infancy and was known as the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad. For thirty years his time and energies have been spent in the service of this great corporation, and he has worked his way up from a brakeman to his present responsible position.

In 1869 Mr. Sanborn was appointed assistant superintendent of the northern division of the road, and the following year was transferred to the Iowa & Dakota division, which at that time extended over only 126 miles, but which under his superintendence has grown into 576 miles, with its present western terminus resting on the banks of the Missouri river, at Chamberlain, Dak.

Mr. Sanford possesses great executive ability, untiring energy, courage and endurance. These qualities coupled with his early training in constructing and operating the roads under his superintendence, make him one of the most practical, experienced, and best equipped railroad men of the day in our new northwest. Immediately upon receiving his appointment on the Iowa & Dakota division, Mr. Sanborn came to Mason City, where he has since resided. He has always taken a deep interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of his adopted city, and its healthy growth and present prosperity are largely due to the fact that he established the headquarters of his division here.

His services as a member of the school board for several years, serving a portion of the time as its president, have been of great and permanent value to the community. In political sentiments Mr. Sanborn is a democrat; he has not, however, taken any active part in political affairs, and has never sought political honors, having found in his legitimate business employment for his highest powers. He is very modest and unassuming in his habits and manners; is the staunchest of friends and loves to dispense hospitality with a free and generous hand. The employees of the road know that if they do their duty they have no truer friend than their superintendent, who looks carefully after their wellfare and is prompt to resent their wrongs as if personal to himself.

In 1858 Mr. Sanborn was married to Miss E. E. Richards, daughter of Mills Richards and Amelia Humphrey, natives of Connecticut, from which State they moved to Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Sanborn have four children - Harry R., George L., James S. and Anna Laura. Mr. Sanborn is still comparatively young and is in the full maturity and vigor of his powers.

L. O. Sanderson

[Page 867] L. O. Sanderson resides on the northwest quarter of section 3 in Grant township. He was born in Norway, Nov. 23, 1839, and is the son of Ole and Gro Sanderson. The Sanderson family came to the United States in 1847, and settled in the township of Moscow, Iowa Co., Wis., where the father died in 1853. The mother subsequently married Kittel Paulson, and lived on the old homestead until 1882, when they moved to Fertile, Worth Co., Iowa, where they now reside. L O. Sanderson was brought up on the farm, and acquired a good education. He commenced teaching school at the age of eighteen, a vocation he has pursued winters upwards of twenty-five years.

He was married Dec. 17, 1862,to Sarah Gullickson, also a native of Norway. Her parents came to the United States when she was but four years of age. Her father was Gullick, and her mother Aase Gullickson. She was born Aug. 20, 1840. Mr. Sanderson settled in Worth Co., Iowa, in 1876. He located in Grant township, Cerro Gordo county, Sept. 15, 1877. He is a republican in political principles, and while in Wisconsin held the office of township clerk nine years, assessor one year, and has also officiated as justice of the peace.

Mr. and Mrs. Sanderson have had eleven children, ten of whom are now living - Anna Marie, Gunhild Louisa, Sophia Martine, Berget Matilda, Grethe Otilia, Gullick Olaus, Amanda Helene, Sander LaMartine, Louis Samuel and Olena Amelia. Their first child, Ole Gunnerius, died at the age of one year, four month and eleven days. The family belong to the Lutheran Church.

S. S. Sanford

[Page 860] S. S. Sanford, township trustee of Grimes since its organization, was born in Illinois, March 6, 1846. His father, Nirum Sanford, was a farmer, and brought up his son to pursue the same honorable and profitable calling. His mother was Jane Austin before her marriage.

Mr. Sanford was an inhabitant of his native State until the age of eighteen, when he went to Watertown, Wis., where he obtained a situation as clerk in a general store. He was there employed two years, when he went back to Illinois and resumed farming. In 1867 he came to Fayette Co., Iowa, where he lived until 1880. Since that year he has been a resident of Cerro Gordo county and of Grimes township.

He was married in 1869 to Martha, daughter of William and Eliza Wells. Mr. and Mrs. Sanford have one son - Lester. Mr. Sanford is an adherent of the republican party.

C. W. Sargent

[Pages 985-86] The business establishment of Stewart & Sargent was founded in June, 1882, by Marshall & Stewart. In March, 1883, Mr. Sargent bought the interest of Mr. Marshall and became a member of the firm. The salesroom of the house is 22x90 feet, and the stock is complete in all its departments including drugs, paints and oils, wall paper and fancy goods. They make a speciality of fine perfumeries, handling Wright's goods.

C. W. Sargent was born in Centerville, Appanoose, Co., Iowa, Jan. 1, 1862. At the age of sixteen he was employed by Robinson Bros., of Ottumwa, Iowa, where he remained five years, when he purchased Mr. Marshall's interest in the drug business of Marshall & Stewart.

M. S. Schermerhorn

[Page 639] M. S. Schermerhorn, an attorney and land agent of Mason City, was born in Otsego Co., N. Y., on the 5th of May, 1846. His parents are Jeremiah and Hannah (Swift) Schermerhorn, father of German and mother of English descent. His grandfather was a soldier of the war of 1812. His parents married in Delaware Co., N. Y., and reared six children, four sons and two daughters, all of which are living. His father was a mill-wright by trade.

In 1857, his father came west, traveling extensively over the State, his son, the subject of our sketch, coming with him. In 1858 he moved his family to McHenry Co., Ill., settling at Galva, where he applied himself as contractor and builder. In 1860 he came to Delaware Co., Iowa; in 1876 to Floyd county, and is at present residing at Mason City. In politics he is a strong democrat.

The subject of this sketch received his education in the academy and high school. In 1864, while in the city of Davenport, he was assistant cashier for the Mutual Insurance Company, and in the meantime read law in the office of Stewart & Armstrong. In 1870 he came to Mason City, where he engaged in the mercantile business, in company with R. Babcoek, as Babcock & Co. In the fall of 1874 he was elected clerk of the courts and was reelected in 1876, also again in 1878, serving six years. He was admitted to the bar in Franklin county in 1881. In October of the same year, he formed a co-partnership with E. S. Wheeler.

In December, 1870, he was married to Cornelia M. Fitch, of Groton Mass. Of their three children, but one is now living - Susie. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also of the I. O. O. F. and United Workmen.

C. B. Seabury

[Page 877] C. B. Seabury resides on section 10, Lake township, on a farm of 100 acres. He was born in Chautauqua Co., N. Y., in March, 1832. He married Susan Case and in 1869 they came to Iowa. Mr. Seabury sent his family by direct route and made the journey himself with teams.

Mr. and Mrs. Seabury have three daughters - Florence, Irene and Lena. Mr. Seabury was elected supervisor in 1873, held the position three years and has also been township trustee several terms and acting justice of the peace three years.

Gabriel L. Secor

[Page 847] Gabriel L. Secor located on his present farm, on section 35, Geneseo township, in 1876, where he now resides, having bought his farm from William Moore. He is an old resident of Iowa. He was born in Albany Co., N. Y., in 1824. He afterward lived in Oneida and Jefferson counties, N. Y., until twenty one years of age, then went to De Kalb Co., Ill., where he lived ten years, then moved to Floyd Co., Iowa, in the winter of 1853-4. He is a carpenter and builder by trade, which he followed for many years. He built the first flouring mill at Marble Rock. He also owned and carried on a farm in Floyd county.

His parents, John and Jane Secor, removed to Illinois with their son, afterwards went to Delaware Co., Iowa, where the father died. The mother died in Cherokee county.

Gabriel L. married Martha Darland, born in Ohio. They have four children - Mary, John F., Ida F. and Andromeda. Mr. Secor's farm contains eighty acres, and is a pleasant home.

Henry Senior

[Page 919] Henry Senior, in July, 1855, erected a log cabin on the southwest quarter of section 2, Portland township, the flooring of which was sawed at Rock Falls, the first saw-mill in Cerro Gordo county being located there. He improved his land until 1863, when he rented it and removed to Mason City, where he followed his trade, and engaged in the boot and shoe trade until 1873, when he returned to his farm. He now owns 615 acres, giving his principal attention to stock and grain raising.

He is a native of Yorkshire, England, born June 22, 1826. He learned the shoemaker trade, and followed it there until 1850, when he emigrated to Kenosha, Wis. He was married Aug. 5, 1853, to Mary Brown, also a native of England. In October, 1882, he returned to his native country and remained seven months, visiting old scenes and old friends. He is regarded as a man of the strictest honor, and one of Cerro Gordo's best citizens. The children are - Joseph, Frank and Eliza.

Edward Shaw

[Page 773] Edward Shaw is the custodian of the camping grounds of the Methodist Church. He was born in New York, in 1813, where he was reared. In 1840 he went to steam boating on the Mississippi river.

On the breaking out of the rebellion, he chartered his boat to the government, and was placed in command of the gunboat Tyler, which joined the fleet under Comodore Rogers, and afterwards became connected with Comodore Foote's fleet. He took an active part in many important engagements on the Mississippi river and its tributaries. His boat participated in the bombardment of Forts Henry and Donelson. At Pittsburg landing his vessel took an active part in resisting the advance of the enemies forces, when the army under Grant were apparently overwhelmed. After this battle he guarded with his boat the mouth of White river, and subsequently took charge of Indianola at Cincinnati, and afterward of the gunboat Joliet, of the Chattanooga, Tennessee and Yazoo rivers. While in this service lie took an active part in all the severe and important engagements of the gunboat fleet. During the last year of the war he was a member of Gov. Morton's staff, and served as sanitary and military agent, stationed at Nashville.

After the war he engaged in the oil business, in West Virginia, from whence he came to Clear Lake. His wife, was formerly Amanda Lewis, a native of New York city. She accompanied her husband in several expeditions during the war. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw celebrated their golden wedding Nov. 21, 1882. They relate with much enthusiasm many thrilling experiences in the late war. They have three children - Sarah, wife of Rev. J. H. Lozier, who was correspondent for the Cincinnati Commercial during the war of the rebellion, and later in the struggle was chaplain in the 37th Indiana regiment, He is an eminent clergyman of the Methodist Church, in which service he located and laid out the camp grounds of Clear Lake. Their second child, A. B. Shaw, resides in London England. The youngest, Frank, who resides in California, is engaged in silver mining. Mr. Shaw has been a resident of Clear Lake since 1875.

Fred Sheldon

[Page 942] Fred Sheldon is a citizen of the United State by adoption, his parents, John and Louisa Sheldon, having taken up their residence in Wisconsin in 1854. They are still living where they first settled. Mr. Sheldon grew to man's estate on a farm.

At the age of eighteen he enlisted in the defense of his country's flag. He was enrolled in 1862 in company H, 20th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He served three years, and was in action in the engagements at Prairie Grove, siege of Vicksburg, Fort Morgan, Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely.

On his discharge he interested himself in farming and lumbering in Wisconsin until he came to Iowa, in 1876, when he fixed his residence in Cerro Gordo county. His first location was in the township of Lake. In 1879 he purchased his present property, on which he settled in 1880.

He was born Sept. 29, 1844, and was married in May, 1871, to Sarah Hare. They have five children - John, Fred, Minnie, Bert and Ida. In politics Mr. Sheldon is a republican, and has acted as school director. He is a great reader; takes several newspapers and keeps pace with current events.

Rev. H. H. Shields

[Page 888] Rev. H. H. Shields connected himself with the denomination of United Brethren at the age of seventeen, and when twenty years old began his labors as an itinerant preacher. He was actively engaged in that capacity through a long term of years. In 1867 he was stationed in charge of the United Brethren Church in Lincoln township.

He was born in Clinton Co., Ohio, Sept. 27, 1838. His father's family removed to Huntington Co., Ind., in 1852. They moved to Winneshiek Co., Iowa, in 1855, and went afterwards to Clayton county, and thence to Jones county, where the mother died, leaving nine children. The father is now a resident of Lincoln township, and is in hale old age, able still to work at his trade, shoemaking.

Mr. Shields still acts as local preacher, but devotes, himself chiefly to agricultural pursuits. His farm is located on section 6, of Lincoln and Grant townships.

He was married in 1863 to Nancy J., daughter of Isaac and Barbara White. The family includes four children - Barbara E., John W., Edith M. and Ira H.

C. P. Shipley

[Page 1001] C. P. Shipley, job printer, has been a resident of Mason City since 1873, and founded the business in which he is now engaged in November, 1882. By attention to his business and the possession of the requisite skill in his art, he has established a successful trade.

Mr. Shipley was born in Baltimore, Md., May 1, 1851, and moved with his parents to Iowa City, in 1856. Mr. Shipley was educated at the High School and spent four terms at the Iowa University. When seventeen years old he went into the office of the Iowa City Republican, as an apprentice, where he remained two years. He then went to Buffalo, N. Y., and entered the office of the Buffalo Courier for the completion of his trade. In 1871 he returned to the Republican office at Iowa City. The next year he came to Mason City and was employed on the Cerro Gordo Republican and Express, as foreman, where he remained until he determined to establish himself independently.

He was married in 1875 to Maggie, daughter of John L. McMillen. She was born in Rockford, Ill., in 1853. Mr. and Mrs. Shipley have one child - Julia Ellen. Mr. Shipley is a charter member and past master of the A. O. U. W.

Matt Simenson

[Page 797] The first jewelry store at Clear Lake was established by Matt Simenson in the fall of 1869, which he discontinued after ten years of active business, in consequence of ill health.

He was a Norwegian by birth, born in 1846, came to America and learned his craft in La Crosse with George E. Stanley. He died at West Salem, La Crosse Co., Wis., Sept. 6, 1881. He left no family.

O. R. Simenson

[Page 979] O. R. Simenson, brother and successor to Matt Simenson, was born in Norway in 1848. In 1850 his father moved his family to the new world and found an abiding place in La Crosse Co., Wis. Mr. Simenson learned the printer's trade at La Crosse and in the spring of 1870 came to Clear Lake, where he was employed as a compositor on the Clear Lake Observer. He abandoned the printer's art to become a jeweler, and acquired the details of the business in the shop of his brother to whose interests he succeeded.

He married an English lady, Hattie Westerman. Etta Marie Simenson is the only child.

James Sirrine

[Page 870] James Sirrine, of Clear Lake, is one of the oldest settlers, not only of Clear Lake, but of Cerro Gordo county. He came here in 1852, and entered six forties, four of which were on section 13, at the east end of the lake, where he now resides.

Mr. Sirrine was born at Peekskill, N. Y., in 1811. His father removed to Pennsylvania, when James was a child, and settled in Pike county in that State. He was reared in Pennsylvania, married and returned to the State of New York, where he lived thirteen years. He then removed to Illinois, where he lived two years, then came to Iowa. His father settled near him, where he resided until 1878, when he removed to Minnesota. But few families were living in Cerro Gordo county when Mr. Sirrine came here. Dickirson and Hewitt, the earliest settlers of the county, had been here but two or three years. One by one, the pioneers are passing away and Mr. Sirrine is one of the few who are left of those who laid the foundation of a home here thirty years ago.

Mr. Sirrine married Susan Reese, born in New York; she died here in 1859. His present wife was born in Indiana. Mr. Sirrine had five children by his first wife, three of whom are living - Robert, Frederick and Stephen. James and David were soldiers in the army of the Union during the rebellion; the former was a member of the 12th United States Regulars, and was killed at the battle of the Wilderness; the latter was a member of the same regiment, and was killed accidentally at Fort Hamilton. Robert Sirrine, the oldest son, was born in McHenry Co., Ill., in 1837, and came to this county with his father. He is one of the most prosperous and substantial farmers of Lake township. He resides on section 16, where he has a fine farm of 160 acres; he also owns another farm of 160 acres on section 21. He married Martha Denslow, daughter of John Denslow. She was born in Linn Co. Iowa.

Dr. M. M. Skinner

[Page 802] Among the early physicians was Dr. M. M. Skinner, who was born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., April 1], 182.5. His father, Peter Skinner, though a man of energy and intelligence, was unable to give his son a liberal education, and he was thrown upon his own resources. After receiving a common school education, he continued his studies without a tutor for several years, teaching school winters to pay his way. He studied medicine in Fulton Medical College at Oswego, N. Y., graduating at the Medical College of Woodstock, Vt., in May, 1850. He began the practice of his profession in Washingtonville, Oswego Co., N. Y.

Dr. Skinner was married to a sister of Hon. H. G. Parker, of Mason City. From Oswego county he moved to Litchfield, Herkimer Co., N. Y., where he secured quite an extensive practice. In November, 1856, he moved to Anamosa, Jones Co., Iowa, where his older brother, Pratt R. Skinner, had settled.

Early in the spring of 1857 he removed to Clear Lake, where his brother in-law, H. G. Parker, resided. At that time Clear Lake City was only a small cluster of log houses at the east end of the lake. Although it was not his intention to practice medicine in this county, it was soon known that he was a physician and he was almost compelled to attend the sick. Early in life he had worked at the carpenters trade some, and from his acquaintance with tools, he constructed the first revolving horse hay rake ever used in Cerro Gordo county.

He delivered the oration at the first 4th of July celebration in the county, at Clear Lake, in 1857. He was appointed county school superintendent, in 1858, to fill a vacancy. He also taught school at Clear Lake City, in a log cabin, during the winter of 1857-8. In 1858 he removed to Anamosa, Iowa, where he was living in 1883. During his residence at Clear Lake, he found the skull of a human being, near the house of James Sirrine; and upon examination it was found to have the mark of a knife, clearly indicating that the victim had been scalped by the Indians. It was supposed by some to be the head of a white man, and by some that of Pacheukar, the young Indian, who had been shot, beheaded and scalped by the Sioux, several years before, near R. O. Sirrine's house.

DR. W. M. SKINNER

[Page 652] Dr. W. M. Skinner was the first physician to locate at Clear Lake. He came here from New York in 1857 and remained for one year, when he went to Animosa, where he still lives. Dr. Skinner was a man of intelligence and education. He was an old school teacher, but chose the medical profession as his life calling and graduated in New York.

C. H. Smith, MD

[Page 649] C. H. Smith, M. D., a prominent and popular physician of Mason City, has pursued the practice of his profession here since 1878. He was born in Chautauqua Co., N. Y., not far from the now celebrated lake of the same name, March 26, 1837. His parents, Walter W., and Lydia (Rice) Smith, were natives of the Empire State, and reared seven of eight children to adult age. The mother is now deceased; the father is still living.

At the age of eighteen, Dr. Smith entered the office of H. H. Gladden, of Panama, N. Y., where he remained three years, excepting the period occupied in attending one course of medical lectures at Ann Arbor, Mich. He pursued his studies five years as best he could, having quite limited means, and then received a diploma. In the fall of 1870 he attended medical lectures again, and in March, 1871, obtained a second diploma. He began to study for his chosen vocation when but a youth, and though still a young man, has been engaged in his labors more than a quarter of a century. He has a large and lucrative practice and enjoys the confidence of his patrons to an unusual degree. He is a member of the American Medical Association, and belongs to the District Medical Society.

Dr. Smith was married in 1862 to Martha J. Allen, of Warren Co., Penn. George and Hattie Smith are the names of their two children. The doctor is a Royal Arch Mason, and Mrs. Smith is a member of the Methodist Church.

C. H. Smith

[Page 996] C. H. Smith established himself in the wholesale and retail tobacco business, at Mason City, in the fall of 1882. C. H. Smith was born in Black Hawk Co., Iowa, Jan. 7, 1857. His parents are Allen W. and Elizabeth Smith, who emigrated to the State in 1853, settling in Black Hawk county, where the senior Smith first embarked in the hotel business. C. H. Smith commenced his trade in Waterloo, which he has since followed. In 1882 he came to Mason City, where by fair dealing he has worked up a good trade.

Henry I. Smith

[Page 721] Henry I. Smith was elected to succeed Mr. Emsley as treasurer of Cerro Gordo county, in 1869. He was re-elected in 1871 and served until Jan. 1, 1874. H. I. Smith, president of the First National Bank, of Mason City, has been a resident of Cerro Gordo county since the spring of 1854. He settled in Falls township on a farm on the Shell Rock river.

His father died in England in 1847, and the same year he came to America with his mother, and spent a year in Canada. They went to Kane Co., Ill., in 1848, and at the date above named his mother bought a claim of land, and with the help of her children and brother, improved a farm. The mother is still a resident of Falls township. Their entree to Cerro Gordo county was made in a prairie schooner drawn by an ox team. They spent three weeks on the road, camping and cooking such provisions as they could obtain by the roadside. After their arrival they lived in their wagon until they built a log house, 16x20 feet. The first year they spent in their new cabin home with shakes for shingles and mother earth for flooring. They made their bread the first winter from corn-meal and buckwheat ground in a three-shilling coffee mill. They killed and smoked a pig, obtaining the remainder of their meat from the forest, varied with fish from the river which they salted and smoked. Here Mr. Smith grew to man's estate and received a good education.

In July 1861, he enlisted in company B, 7th Iowa Volunteers. His regiment was first rendezvoused at Burlington, Iowa, and in August was sent to Benton Barracks, St. Louis. His first smell of powder was at Belmont, Mo., Nov. 7, 1861, where he was shot in the breast, his collar-bone being broken. He still retains the bullet imbedded in the shoulder-blade. He was in Mound City Hospital until the day following the battle of Shiloh. At that engagement his only brother, Peter Smith, was wounded by a shell and died on a steamer while en route to Keokuk Hospital. He was buried at Quincy, Ill. Mr. Smith was under fire at Corinth, first and second battles, at Iuka, Dallas, Big Shanty, Kennesaw Mountain, at the siege of Atlanta (July 22 and 28), was with Sherman on his march to the sea, and in countless other engagements of more or less importance, and finally passed in the Grand Review at 'Washington, D. C, where he received a bouquet from the hand of Mrs. Stanton, wife of the Secretary of War. In 1864 he was promoted to second lieutenant at Pulaska, Tenn., and when in action at Atlanta, reached the rank of first lieutenant. While at Washington he was promoted to the captaincy of his company. While on the march to the sea he was placed on the staff of Brigadier-General E. W. Rice. He was mustered out of service at Davenport in 1865, and came back to Cerro Gordo county and engaged in farming for a short time.

[He was a medal of honor recipient.]

In 1869 he came to Mason City to enter upon the duties of county treasurer, to which he had been elected, which office he held four years.

He was married, in 1868, to Miss D. E. Bogardus. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had five children, four sons and one daughter - William J., Lou D., Henry Carl, Robert P. and Warren B. Mr. Smith was born in Nottingham, England, May 4, 1840. He is a member of the Masonic order, a republican in politics, and has held many important positions in the party.

Thomas A. Smith, MD

[Page 655] Thomas A. Smith, M. D., located in the village of Rockwell, in March, 1880. Dr. Smith was born in Ogle Co., Ill., Dec. 30, 1846, but was brought up in Stephenson county, in that State.

He enlisted, Aug. 7, 1862, when less than sixteen years of age, in the 92d Volunteer Infantry of Illinois, and served until the close of the war. He participated in many important battles, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge and others. He started with Sherman on his march to the sea, but was taken prisoner while his regiment was executing a flank movement on the enemy. He was detained a prisoner about five months, being part of the time in Andersonville prison.

He began the study of medicine at Shannon, Ill., and graduated at Rush Medical College in 1875, and was also at the Illinois State Eye and Ear Infirmary as a student for some time. After he graduated he practiced medicine several years at Shannon, and came here in 1880.

His wife was Lydia A. Kellogg, a daughter of Dr. Ephraim Kellogg, of Kansas City, and and a niece of the late Gen. Kellogg, of Wisconsin, who was at one time commander of the famous iron brigade in the rebellion. They have two children - Zell and Kellogg.

F. M. Somers, MD

[Page 650] F. M. Somers, M. D., Homeopathist, located in Mason City in the fall of 1882, and has secured an extensive and increasing practice. He was born in Champaign Co., Ill., being the eldest son of W. H. and Hattie (Mead) Somers.

His father was a native of North Carolina, emigrating to Illinois at an early age. He was a strong adherent of the republican party, and was honored with responsible official positions while a resident there, from which place he removed to Leroy, Ill., and engaged in the banking business; from thence he removed to Beatrice, Neb., where he is the present receiver of the U. S. land office. The mother was a native of Massachusetts, receiving her education at Oberlin College, Ohio.

Dr. Somers received his education at Tabor College, Iowa. In 1877 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. John Cleaver, of Malvern, Mills Co., Iowa, where he remained two years. He then graduated at the Homeopathic Medical Department of the Iowa State University, after which he practiced his profession at Hamburg, Iowa. He subsequently removed to Iowa City, where he was connected with the Homeopathic Department as assistant lecturer to the chair of Materia Medica, which he retained until coming to his present home.

He was married in 1880 to Carrie, daughter of G. D. Gregory, of Tabor, Iowa. They have one daughter - Ethel. He is a member of the Northwestern Academy of Medicine, also of Hahnemann Medical Society. As a physician he ranks foremost among his school. They are members of the Congregational Church.

James Spear

[Pages 863-64 & 868] James Spear came to [Grant] township in 1858. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1796, but at two years of age his parents removed to Ohio, where he was reared and married. Four years after his marriage his wife died, and in April, 1852, he married Mrs. Beatrice Emsley, who had six children by her first husband, two of whom are now living - Thomas G. and Margaret, wife of Charles Meddaugh.

In 1857 Mr. Spear came to Iowa and made arrangements for his land, engaging Abram Bennett to build him a cabin. He then returned to Ohio and brought his family on in the spring of 1858, coming as far as McGregor, Iowa, by steamboat, and from there by team to what is now Grant township, landing May 7. He had traded his store property in Ohio for 400 acres of land, and at once set about improving the same. He carried on farming until his health failed by reason of over work, and in 1S65 he moved to Clear Lake village, renting his farm.

The first birth in Grant township was a son to James and Beatrice Spear, who was born March 29, 1861. He lived only two years; his remains were first buried on grounds belonging to Mrs. osborn, but later removed to Clear Lake.

After a lingering illness of six years [Mr. Spear] died at Clear Lake, May 3, 1869. They had six children, two of whom are now living - John and Jennie, wife of E. Rosecrans. Mr. Spear was a strong democrat in politics. Mrs. Spear still lives at Clear Lake, where she is esteemed by all.

Samuel Spotts

[Page 923] Samuel Spotts has been a resident of the township since November, 1871. He is located on section 15, owning 185 acres of land. He was born in Summit Co., Ohio, Sept. 13, 1822. His parents were Ludwig and Susan Spotts. He was reared on a farm, but also learned the miller's trade.

In Summit Co., Ohio, he married Sophia Belts, in March, 1845. She died in December, 1854, having had six children, but one of whom survives - Lucinda, the wife of John Bishop.

In 1855 Mr. Spotts married Mrs. Margaret Bitterman, a native of Stark Co., Ohio, born June 23, 1821. Her parents, Abraham and Elizabeth Bair, were natives of Pennsylvania, where they lived on a farm. Margaret Bair was married to Frederick Bitterman, by which union there were two children, one of whom was living in 1883 - M. E. Bitterman.

By the present marriage three children are living - Abraham L., Mary I., and Samuel N., who was born in Will Co., Ill., Jan. 1, 1880. Abraham L. married Emma Heinselman, of this township, and Mary E. married Levi P. Henrickson, of Mitchell county. Politically, Mr. Spotts is a strong republican. Both Mr. and Mrs. Spotts are members of the Free Methodist Church, while their children are Evangelical.

Nathan W. Stackhouse

[Page 726] The first sheriff of Cerro Gordo county was Nathan W. Stackhouse, who was elected on the organizatin of the county in August, 1855. Two years later he was re-elected. Stackhouse waas a North Carolinian, but came to Cerro Gordo county in 1854, from Illinois, and settled at Mason City. He was a married man, and was poor. He was not a polished man, nor ingenious, but was full of energy and thrift[y]. He remained here for a number of years and moved to Missouri, in 1858.

John S. Stanbery

[Pages 635-36] John S. Stanbery, of the firm of Stanbery & Clark, attorneys, came to Cerro Gordo county in 1858. His first occupation was teaching, which he pursued here and in Hancock county for a number of years. He went into his father's office in 1866, and, in the following year, began reading for his profession. In the spring of 1868, he attended the law department of the Iowa State University, and was graduated in 1869. He has since been engaged in the practice of his profession, and in 1871 formed a connection with D. T. Gibson, now of Waverly, which continued until 1873. In 1874 he formed his present business relation with J. J. Clark.

Mr. Stanbery was married June 29, 1873, to Laura J. Ives, born in Mt. Holly, Rutland Co., Vt. She died Aug. 19, 1875. He was married again in October, 1876, to Martha A. Waldo, a graduate of Milton Academy, Wisconsin. She came to Mason City in 1870, and was employed as [a] teacher in the high school. They have two children - Anna W. and Ralph S. Mr. Stanbery was born in Mercer Co., Ohio, Sept. 28, 1846. He is a republican in political sentiment, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the Masonic fraternity.

Recompense "Rec" Stanberry

[Page 671] Rec. Stanbery, editor and proprietor of the Mason City Times, was born at Vinton, Iowa, Dec. 13, 1855. His parents were William C. and Eliza J. (Stettler) Stanbery, natives of Ohio. When Rec. was two years of age his parents moved to Clear Lake, Iowa, and there lived for two years, when they removed to Mason City. Rec. remained with his parents at Mason City until 1875, when he went to California, remaining until the fall of 1876, when he returned to this place.

In the spring of 1877 Mr. Stanbery began the publication of the Western Democrat, which paper he continued to run until Jan. 1, 1881, when he sold to T. C. Medary. After sidling the Democrat, Mr. Stanbery went to Clear Lake and established the Clear Lake Moon, and was engaged on this paper until fall. He then went to Mitchell, Dakota, and established the Mitchell Republican, continuing until in October, 1882, when he sold to S. D. Cook and returned to Mason City. Soon after he returned to this place, Mr. Stanbery smarted the Mason City Times on the ruins of the North Iowa Journal, a paper which had been under the management of T. C. Medary.

Mr. Stanbery was married in October, 1878, to Emma Lawrence, of Charles City, Iowa. They have one child - Lizzie, born Sept. 24, 1879. Mr. Stanbery is an able editor, and the present success of the Times speaks most highly of the ability and thoroughness of its editor. In politics Mr. Stanbery is a democrat, but is at present running an independent journal.

Dr. William C. Stanbery

[Page 646] Dr. William C. Stanbery located at Clear Lake, in May 1858, and began the practice of medicine. In 1859 he was admitted to the bar, and shortly afterward became a partner of Hon. I. W. Card in the practice of law. He afterwards located at Mason City, and during his lifetime was an active and prominent worker in all public movements.

Dr. William C. Stanbery was a native of Ohio, where he grew to manhood. He was a graduate of the Cincinnati Medical College, in 1842, after which he practiced his profession in Mercer county a number of years.

He was married in January 1846, to Elizabeth Stettler, of St. Marys, Ohio. They then moved to La Porte, Ind. where he followed his profession. In 1854 he removed to Vinton, Benton Co., Iowa and while there attended lectures at Keokuk Medical College, graduating from that institution in the fall of the same year. In May 1858, he moved to Clear Lake and practiced medicine until 1860, in the meantime read law and commenced its practice.

In 1859 he was admitted to the bar by Judge Samuel Murdock, and formed a partnership with I. W. Card, the present postmaster of Mason City which was dissolved in 1861. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in the 32d regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned 1st lieutenant of company B. He was then appointed provost marshal of Tennessee, afterwards removed to New Madrid, Mo., where he was discharged for physical disability.

In politics he was a democrat and a stalwart among the stalwarts. He was a delegate to the Baltimore convention, when Stephen A. Douglas was nominated for President. In 1872 he was the democratic candidate for circuit judge, and was the first mayor of Mason City. He was appointed by Andrew Johnson United States revenue collector, which at that time comprised one half the State. In 1860 he was a candidate for the lower house of the General Assembly, which comprised what is now the tenth congressional district.

Mr. and Mrs. Stanbery were the parents of twelve children - John S., Sarah J., Margaret, Thomas P., Recompense, William C. D. A, Harry E., Jessie M., Flora May, Eliza B., Henry S. and Francis L., who died at Clear Lake in 1859. Mrs. Stanbery is still living at the old homestead in Cerro Gordo county. He was an active member of the Masonic order, passing to the thirty-second degree, was the founder of Benevolence Lodge, No. 145, of Mason City, organized Forest City Lodge at Belmond, and many others in this section of the country.

Thomas Stanbery

[Page 924] Thomas Stanbery settled with his mother on section 33, Portland township, in 1877, and has since devoted his time to farming. He came, however, with his parents to Cerro Gordo county when he was very young, and was educated in the schools of Mason City. When he was nineteen years of age he engaged in a confectionery and tobacco store in Mason City, and continued in this for one year, then having no regular business until 1875, when he settled on the farm where he now resides.

He was born in Vinton, Iowa, Jan. 4, 1854, and was the son of W. C, and Eliza (Stutler) Stanbery.

G. A. Stearns

[Page 992] G. A. Stearns is one of the live, active business men of Mason City, Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa. He established his busisness here in April, 1875. He is located on Commercial street, between Fifth and State streets, where he keeps a full line of agricultural implements. His salesroom is 22x100 feet, and his plows, reapers, threshers, etc., are from the very best manufacturers. By honesty, industry and push, he has built up a good business.

Asher M. Stevens

[Page 914] Asher M. Stevens, township clerk, was born in Wayne Co., Penn., July 31, 1835. He is the son of Silas and Julia (Kellogg) Stevens. His parents settled in McHenry Co., Ill., when he was eleven years old; and there he spent his youth and fitted for the duties of life.

He was married in McHenry county, in 1857, to Johanna Chesley. The year following he was engaged in farming, and in 1858 went to Pike's Peak. There he engaged in mining until the fall of 1860, when he pushed his way to Mexico and passed the winter in the same occupation. He returned to Pike's Peak in the spring of 1862. He returned to Illinois in the fall and resumed his former occupation. In 1867 he came to Cerro Gordo county and located at Owen's Grove and lived in the Owen House eighteen months. He rented land in Portland township until 1874, when he purchased land on section 4, of Owen township, where he has made valuable improvements and built his house.

Mrs. Stevens was born in New Hampshire, Aug. 26, 1842, and died April 10, 1876, leaving seven children - Charles, Marcus, Clara, Katie, Herbert, Silas L. and Dollie.

Oscar Stevens

[Page 799] In the spring of 1856, Edward Nichols and Oscar Stevens built a steam saw-mill at Clear Lake - the first erected at that place. It was managed by Nichols & Stevens about two years, when it was partially destroyed by an explosion of the boiler, when Mr. Stevens purchased the interest of his partner, refitted the works, and operated it something like six years. The site of the mill was on Sirrine's Addition on the east side of the lake. Mr. Stevens removed the mill in 1872 to, and fixed it just north of his flouring mill, where it stood until April, 1883.

Seth B. Stevens

[Page 894] Seth B. Stevens, another settler of 1854, became a resident of Lime Creek township when it was still designated in the official papers as township 97, range 20. He was born in Cayuga Co., N. Y., June 20, 1824. His parents settled in La Salle Co.. Ill., when he was fifteen years old.

In 1854 he came to Cerro Gordo county and settled on section 22, of this township. He belongs to the long catalogue of the Union's defenders, having enlisted in the 14th Iowa regiment, in company C, Oct. 24, 1861. He went with the regiment to Dakota, on frontier duty, and veteranized in the spring of 1864. In April, 1865, he was prostrated by disease, and discharged from the hospital in August, 1865, when he returned home. He has been a prosperous farmer and is now the proprietor of a half section of land.

C. M. C. Stewart

[Pages 985-86] The business establishment of Stewart & Sargent was founded in June, 1882, by Marshall & Stewart. In March, 1883, Mr. Sargent bought the interest of Mr. Mrshall and became a member of the firm. The salesroom of the house is 22x90 feet, and the stock is complete in all its departments including drugs, paints and oils, wall paper and fancy goods. They make a speciality of fine perfumeries, handling Wright's goods.

C. M. C. Stewart was born in Appanoose Co., Iowa, June 23, 1858. His parents, J. and R. S. (Dukes) Stewart, came to Iowa in 1857, and when twenty years of age, he was employed by J. S. Taylor & Co., of Ottumwa, Iowa, where he acquired a thorough knowledge of the durg business. He came to Mason City in 1882, and is a member of the Knights of Pythis.

C. W. Sargent [also a native of Centerville, Iowa] purchased Mr. Marshall's interest in the drug business of Marshall & Stewart.

Abner R. Stilson

[Page 921] Abner R. Stilson resides on section 33, Portland township, where he purchased and settled on 160 acres of land, in 1866. He now owns 280 acres and has good improvements. He was born in McHenry Co., Ill., June 9, 1838. His parents were Sylvester S. and Eleanor E. (Bishop) Stilson, the former a native of New York, and the latter of Ohio. There were eight children in his father's family, six now living - James M., W. B., A. R., O. H., Laura, now Mrs. J. G. Bailey; and Ellen, now Mrs. John A. McMullen.

Abner Stilson, in 1861, enlisted in company A, 7th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served fifteen months, when he was discharged on account of disability caused by a gun shot wound received at the battle of Gainsville.

In 1866 he was married to Harriet Bailey, daughter of John and Phebe Bailey. They have four children - Carrie, Lincoln, Scott and Arthur. Mr. Stilson is a republican in politics, also a member of the Masonic fraternity.

Andrew W. Storer

[Page 933] Andrew W. Storer has been a resident of Pleasant Valley township since 1873, at which time he bought 160 acres on section 23, and at once commenced improvements, teaching school in winter and farming in the summer. He now owns 280 acres and is one of the leading farmers in the township. He is a republican, was the first road master of the township, and has also held other offices.

In December, 1878, he married Ettie Cannon. They have two children - A. Willis and Eunice C. Andrew W. was born in Wisconsin, Jan. 15, 1851, received a common school education, with one term at the State University at Madison, and remained in his native State until 1873. His parents, who reside in Dane Co., Wis., are Daniel and Eunice (Palmer) Storer.

Benjamin Sutton

[Page 810] Benjamin Sutton, a native of Devonshire, England, came from Wisconsin in 1854, and entered 400 acres of land in this township. He went to the land office at Des Moines to enter the land, making the journey on foot. In the fall of 1855 he came back from Wisconsin, and spent the winter in hunting and rail-splitting, getting out fencing enough for a quarter section of land. In July, 1856, he sold his land and returned to Wisconsin, and in 1857 he started back to Iowa with some cattle, crossing the Mississippi river at McGregor with 100 head, ten of which he sold, and the balance he brought through to this township. He let them graze during the summer, and provided an ample supply of prairie hay for them to feed upon during the winter months. He kept this drove of young stock at the grove on section 8, retaining them until 1861, when he sold them and purchased land on section 8, where he erected good buildings, and there resides at the present time.

 

 

  • Return to 1883 Biography Index Page

  • Return to Cerro Gordo Biography Index Page

  • Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page

  •  


    © Copyright 1996-
    Cerro Gordo Co. IAGenWeb Project
    All rights Reserved.