Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
Union Publ. Co. Springfield IL. 1883.
"M - N" Biographies: Markley ~ Noyes
Compiled & Contributed by Susan Steveson
[Page 639] J. E. E. Markley, of the law firm of Blythe & Markley, was born in Knox Co., Ohio, April 2, 1857. His parents, James M. and Catherine (Ankeny) Markley, removed to Ohio in 1810, being pioneers of that State. They removed to Black Hawk Co., Iowa, in 1866, where the father died in 1872; the mother is still living at Cedar Falls.
Mr. Markley was raised on a farm, and spent three years in study at Cornell College. In 1877 and 1878 he was a student in the law department of the Iowa State University, where he graduated in the class of 1878. After his college days he passed three years in Marshalltown, Iowa, in the office of Brown & Binford. In September, 1881, he came to Mason City and formed a partnership with Goodykoontz & Blythe, a relation soon changed by the withdrawal of the senior partner. In politics he is a democrat, and is at present chairman of the democratic county central committee of the county.
[Page 726] Henry A. Marsh is now a carpenter and joiner of Mason City. He came to Cerro Gordo county with his parents, in 1857, and was reared to manhood on the farm of his father, in Owen township, where his mother still resides. His father, Allen S. Marsh, was born in Essex Co., Vt., in 1811, and died in Owen township, in April, 1873. His mother, Adaline (Riley) Marsh, was born in Massachusetts, in 1810. They had two children.
Henry A. Marsh obtained a common school education of a solid character, and, on coming to the county, he was employed in the log school houses of the pioneers as teacher. In 1862 he enlisted in the 32d Iowa Volunteers, company B. He was a participant in many severe engagements, and was wounded at Yellow Bayou, in the arm, the bullet shattering the bone. On recovery, he was sent to Vicksburg, and a few months later came home on a furlough. He received his discharge at Davenport, April 22, 1865.
Mr. Marsh was born in Rutland Co., Vt., Nov. 5, 1841. He was married in 1862 to Charlotte, daughter of Isaac Trivett, a native of Dorchester, England, born Oct. 5, 1842. They have three children — Edwin, Fred and Eva. Mr. Marsh is a staunch republican. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
[Page 864] McReady Martin purchased his present property, in Grant township, of James Goodwin and Silan Noyes, Nov. 2, 1865. He is finely situated on section 32, and has put his farm under valuable improvements.
Mr. Martin was born in Crawford Co., Penn., in 1832. He is the son of Jacob and Martha (Mason) Martin, of Pennsylvania, where his father still resides. His mother is not living. In 1860 he went to LaFayette Co., Wis., and came from there to Iowa. He married Margaret Galbraith, also of Crawford county. They are the parents of four children — Mary E., Ida A., George C. and Jessie A.
[Page 1003] William H. Mason was born in Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., April 18, 1843. His parents were D. B. and Harriet (Starr) Mason, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Danbury, Conn., but who emigrated to New York State in an early day, where they were joined in wedlock, and eleven children were born — six sons and five daughters. In 1840 the family went to Walworth Co., Wis., and in 1858 removed to Butler Co., Iowa. In 1864 they went to Charles City, and in 1867 came to Mason City, where they lived until 1881, when they returned to Charles City, where they still live. Mr. Mason being at the advanced age of eighty-three, and Mrs. Mason eighty-one years of age. They have lived in each other's society as man and wife for over sixty-four years.
William H., the subject of this sketch was, educated at Delevan, Wis., and Beloit College. In 1861 he enlisted in the 7th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, company I. He participated in the engagement at Belmont Mo., where he was wounded in the right hand, and taken prisoner, but was soon paroled and exchanged. He participated at Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Shiloh, first battle of Corinth, second battle of Iuka, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, march to the sea, and at the grand review at Washington, D. C.
In the fall of 1865 he was married to Mary Dunn of Kenosha, Wis. Two children blessed this union, one of whom is living — Fernia. In 1874 Mr. Mason was appointed deputy sheriff, by H. H. Schell, serving nearly four years. In the winter of 1869-70 he built the first livery stable in the city, which is now occupied by S. W. Keeney and established the first livery and omnibus business. Mr. Mason has 190 acres of valuable land in Mason township, valued at $35 per acre. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
[Page 804] George A. Massee came to Dougherty township in 1874, locating on the southwest quarter of section 10. Though wild land when purchased lie has so improved and cultivated it, that he now has a desirable home, having erected a good frame dwelling house and barn, and beautified it with shade and ornamental trees. He was horn in Oneida Co., N. Y., in 1840. When twelve years old his parents moved to Kane Co., Ill., where he made his home until 1870, then went to Manchester, Delaware Co., Iowa, remaining until 1874.
He was married in 1873 to Julia Ferris, born near Columbus, Ohio. They have two children — Nellie and Frank.
[Page 796] H. S. Mather, photographer, established his business here in 1881, and is the only representative of his art in the city. He is a good artist and thoroughly competent to excel in all branches of his business. He has recently erected a new building with excellent arrangements for first-class work. He makes a specialty of Stereoscopic views of Clear Lake and vicinity and has constantly on hand an assortment of views of the Lake, village and camping ground.
Mr. Mather is a native of Cazenovia, N. Y., and was born in 1836. He studied the technique of his art at Morrisville, N. Y., and has pursued his present calling since 1865. His wife, Jennie (Slocum) Mather, is also a native of Cazenovia.
[Page 903] Henry Matley, a settler of 1876, was born Feb. 17, 1836, in Lancastershire, England. At the age of ten years he entered a cotton mill, where he worked four years. At fourteen he came to America with his parents. His father bought a farm in Columbia county, near Portage City, Wis., and he resided there until twenty-one years of age, when he went to Monroe county, and bought a farm near Sparta.
He enlisted Aug. 15, 1862, in company C, 23d Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and served until the termination of the struggle for the Union. He was honorably discharged July 4, 1865. Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, Cyprus Bayou, Greenville, Miss., Champion Hills and Black River Bridge, are among the engagements in which his command was actively engaged. At Vicksburg he received a Minnie ball in the fleshy part of his arm which inflicted a severe wound. He was in action at Jackson, at Carrion Crow, Miss., and was taken prisoner at the last place, Nov. 3, 1863. He was exchanged June 6, 1864, at Jackson. The war ended he returned to his former employ of farming, at Sparta.
In June, 1867, he sold his farm and went to Minnesota, where he bought a place in Buford township, Blue Earth county. He put it under good improvements, erected valuable buildings, and in 1876 sold out and came to Lime Creek township, where he bought his present property on section 6. He has made extensive improvements, built a brick house, barn and sheds and has a beautiful and valuable homestead. He has a large number and variety of shade and ornamental trees, and an assortment of fruit trees, all of which enhance the worth and beauty of the location.
Mr. Matley was married Jan. 27, 1870, to Ann Draper, a native of Derbyshire, England. Bessie Matley is the only child.
[Page 817] James McAdam, a farmer, settled in Falls township in 1867, when he at once became a land-holder on section 27, where he improved his farm according to the best known methods, and built the house in which he now lives. He was married in 1853 to Maria Fox. She was born in Beaver Kill, Sullivan Co., N. Y They have six children — Elizabeth, William, George, Vettie, Rozana and Albert.
Mr. McAdam was born Oct. 18, 1831, in Delaware Co., N. Y. At the age of fourteen he began to work as carpenter with his father, who was a master builder and millwright. When twenty-three years of age, he went to Ogle Co., Ill., and settled In the new town of Polo, where he pursued his trade until 1867, the date of his removal to Iowa.
[Page 962] Hathorn McCulloch was born in Buffalo, N. Y., Nov. 29, 1838. His parents, John H. and Sarah F. (Wells) McCulloch, were the parents of three children — Hathorn, William and John Allburt. The father died in 1845, and the mother was afterward married to Luther Buxton. They had three children — Emma J., Francis G., deceased, and Henry L.
Mr. McCulloch received a good education, and in 1859 went to Wisconsin, locating at Oshkosh, Winnebago county, where he was occupied with farming. He was married there to Charlotte M. Brown, a native of Pennsylvania, born March 24, 1839. Mr. and Mrs. McCulloch have five sons — Frank H., William A., Alfred H., Jesse H. and John R. In 1872 the family removed to Cerro Gordo county, where Mr. McCulloch again interested himself in farming until the spring of 1883, when he established his present business, and is proprietor of the Mason City Dairy. He has twenty-five fine milk cows, and is doing a good business.
[Page 653] George F. McDowell, M. D., is older in practice and a longer resident than any other physician now established, having come to Clear Lake in January, 1870, ranking Drs. Charlton and Wright by two years. He was born in Stueben Co., N. Y., in 1846, and was reared to manhood in Genesee Co., Mich. He graduated from the Medical Department at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1869, and entered upon his practice in Livingston Co., Mich. In September following, he came to Black Hawk Co., Iowa, and to Clear Lake as above stated. He is a self-made man, acquired his rudimentary education unaided, engaging in teaching and other occupations, and by sure degrees overcoming all obstacles, until he was fitted for the calling to which he has devoted his life. He has a large practice, and besides his popularity as a medical practitioner, he is prized especially for his geniality and social qualities.
He married Alice, daughter of Hon. M. P. Rosecrans, of Clear Lake. Pearl is the only child.
[Page 772] William McFadden, who settled in 1874, is a native of Terra Haute, Ind., born in 1829. When fourteen years of age he went to Louisville, Ky., where he was engaged as clerk for about three years. He then returned to Indiana. His father, William McFadden, was born in Harrisburg Penn. He was an early settler of Terre Haute, Ind. His mother was Elizabeth (Lee) McFadden. The parents of Mr. McFadden removed to Keokuk, Iowa, in 1848. His father engaged in keeping hotel in that city, but died in 1850. Mr. McFadden kept hotel sometime after his father's decease.
He was married to his first wife at Keokuk; her name was Mary J. Heaight, a daughter of Captain S. Heaight. He went to California in 1858, where he was engaged in mining for one and a half years; then returned to Iowa; was engaged in steamboating for a number of years. His residence during this time was at Galena, Ill. In 1855 he engaged as clerk for H. F. McClosky, a commission merchant at Dunleath. He was also engaged in the same capacity, for Charles Merry, at Earlville, Delaware county. He removed from Earlville to Delhi, and came to Clear Lake in 1874, and since that time bas been variously engaged.
He lost his first wife July 29, 1873. His second wife was Miss A. E. Parsons, born in West Virginia; she died here Nov. 6, 1882. Mr. McFadden had five children by his first wife, four of whom are living — Harry, Willie, Laura and May. He had five by his second wife — Lena L., Wallace L., Kate, John and Leon.
During the war Mr. McFadden was employed by the government as river and railroad transportation clerk. He was in this service for about two years. He is at present variously engaged, he is a first class auctioneer, and a skillful painter and an excellent accountant and bookkeeper.
[Page 949] Alexander McGowan came to Cerro Gordo county in the spring of 1869, and rented land on section 13 for two years, then on section 11 for one year, when in 1872 he bought a farm on section 36, Mason township, where he has since lived, engaged in grain and stock raising. He was born in Saratoga Co., N. Y., on the 23d of November, 1842. When he was thirteen years of age his parents moved to Jefferson Co., Wis., where he attended the common school and assisted his father on the farm, and also in the blacksmith shop, until 1868. In that year he went to Minnesota and spent the summer in Sherburne county. In the fall he returned to Wisconsin, and the following spring came to Iowa.
In 1866 he was married to Melissa Flint, a native of Wisconsin. They have been blessed with two children — John H. and Ida May.
[Page 795] Henry McGowan, boot and shoe dealer, established his business here in 1882. His assortment of stock comprises a full and complete line of wares suitable to the local demand. He was reared to manhood at Johnstown Centre, Rock Co., Wis., but is a New Yorker by birth, born in New York city, April 12, 1851. His parents located in Rock county, where he learned his trade under the supervision of his father, James McGowan, who is still a resident at Johnstown Centre. Mrs. McGowan was formerly Ella C. Palmer, daughter of Dr. N. H. Palmer, a pioneer settler of Charles City, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. McGowan have one child — James P. McGowan. Mr. McGowan has been engaged many years in his present business, and has lived at Clear Lake since 1880.
[Page 983] Daniel McGrigor came to Mason City
in 1865. Arriving here he had ten cents,
but he found work as a day laborer. His
first business venture was in the furniture
trade. Later he interested himself in the
grocery business, in company with D. J.
Purdy, which enterprise continued
eighteen months, during which they started
a branch store at Northwood, which when
the partnership ended Mr. McGrigor took
and run a short time and then sold it out
to good advantage. Mr. McGrigor had
previously purchased a farm, and he turned
his attention to its management for three
years, at the end of which time he exchanged
it for a stock of clothing, and,
not long after, admitted Mr. Purdy as a
partner. They removed the enterprise to
Spencer, and in addition operated as a
banking house, which joint business they
He was born in Queens Co., New Brunswick. Oct. 30, 1841. He is a son of Samuel and Sarah Ann (Withrow) McGrigor, natives of the same place, who now live in Ontario. They are the parents of fourteen children, seven sons and seven daughters.
Mr. McGrigor was married in 1860 in Canada, to Marilla, daughter of William Dean. They came to Illinois in 1864. They are members of the M. E. Church.
[Page 633] Charles McKenzie became a member of the Cerro Gordo county bar, by locating at Mason City about the same time as Husted. He came here from Dubuque, where his father and brother were among the most prominent business men. He remained at Mason City, engaged in practice, for several years, when he moved to Sioux City, and from there to Dunlap, Iowa, where he still lives.
Charles McKenzie was both naturally and by education a smart fellow. He was well posted in law and upon almost all subjects, and had a most retentive memory. He was a brilliant speaker, and popular among all classes.
[Page 998] Charles H. McNider, assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Mason City, is a native of Iowa. He was born in Dubuque, Feb. 9, 1860. He is son of Thomas B. and Anna E (Kane) McNider, natives of New York, who settled at Dubuque in 1856. At the age of fifteen he secured a situation in the Cerro Gordo County Bank as bookkeeper, and in 1881 was elected to his present position as assistant cashier. In 1882 he was made one of the directors of the bank where he is employed.
Mr. McNider is still a young man, and his business career has been one of marked integrity and uprightness. He is a member of the Masonic order.
[Page 920] S. Meacham became a permanent settler of Iowa in 1864, and lives on section 34, Portland township, where he owns 135 acres of good land. He was born in Oswego Co., N. Y., Oct. 26, 1834, his parents being Sylvester and Eliza E. (Knowlton) Meacham. The father died shortly before he was born and the mother eight years subsequent, and the son lived with his grandfather, James Knowlton, until he was seventeen years of age, when the family emigrated to Cook Co., Ill.
In 1855 he married Martha Pardee, daughter of Stephen and Olive (Stilson) Pardee, who was born in McHenry Co., Ill., on the 9th of April, 1638. In 1857 they came to Iowa and settled at Nora Springs, Floyd county, but the fall of the same year returned to Illinois.
In September, 1861, Mr. Meacham enlisted in the 8th Illinois Cavalry, and served three years, at the end of which time he returned home, then came to Iowa, and has since resided here.
[Page 875] Charles A. Meddaugh is the son of Peter Meddaugh, who settled with his family in Cerro Gordo county, in June, 1855. The elder Meddaugh was a native of Poughkeepsie, N, Y., born July 4, 1795. He was of Dutch descent; his grandparents having come to this country from Holland many years prior to the Revolution. He was a harness maker and saddler by trade, and was engaged in this occupation before coming to Iowa. On his arrival in the State he bought a quarter section claim in the present township of Lime Creek, whose present owner is John D. Glass. His wife was also born in Duchess county, and after the death of her husband returned to the State of New York. She died there in Tompkins county, Feb. 20, 1882. Four of the six children of Mr. and Mrs. Meddaugh are still living - James resides in Florida; Mrs. Rebecca Robinson in Broome Co,, N. Y.; Mrs. Lydia Bull, in Tompkins Co., N. Y.; and C. A. Meddaugh, of this sketch.
The latter is third in the order of succession, and was born in Tompkins county in 1841. He married a daughter of the Buckeye State — Margaret G. Emsley. Her father died in her childhood, in Ohio, and her stepfather, James Speers, was an early settler in Cerro Gordo county. He died in Clear Lake township, in 1869. Her mother lives at Clear Lake. Mr. and Mrs. Meddaugh have two sons — Lofton A. born in Florida, Aug. 19, 1870, and Karl E., born Oct. 30, 1879. Thomas G. Emsley, of Mason City, is a brother of Mrs. Meddaugh.
Mr. Meddaugh has been much of his life engaged in teaching, and is still interested in all educational matters. He deals to some extent in school furniture, although his chief occupation is farming. In 1866 he went to Florida where he passed four years. He resides at Clear Lake, and owns a fine farm of 200 acres in Grant township, also a 430 acre farm in Florida.
[Page 914] H. P. Meloy is one of the most energetic and reliable of the citizens of Owen township. He has had double the experiences of most early settlers, having made several changes in his location during a period of less than twenty-five years. He was born in Otsego Co., N. Y., Feb. 22, 1839. His parents went to Wisconsin when he was five years old and settled in Rock county, where they were among the pioneers.
Mr. Meloy was married Aug. 25, 1859, to Clarinda Keech, a native of that county. In 1860 he located in Mitchell Co., Iowa, and bought wild land near West Mitchell. McGregor was the market and nearest point for supplies, and from there, a distance of 115 miles. Mr. Meloy drew the lumber for his home, and there took his wheat to market. A trip consumed seven days He remained on the place but two and v. half years, returning to Rock Co., Wis., and two years later he settled at Charles City, Iowa. He stayed there two years and removed to Floyd county, buying wild land near Rockford. He made the usual improvements and built a house. He sold again in 1876, and became the owner of a farm on section 2, Owen township, in Cerro Gordo county, where he has since pursued his chosen calling. In 1882 he built his present neat and commodious residence. Lyman B. and Bertha L. are the two children of Mr. and Mrs. Meloy.
[Page 709] In the fall of 1858 Amos B. Miller, of Cerro Gordo county, was elected to this office, and, in 1860, was re-elected. In October, 1862, he resigned to accept the appointment of captain of company B, 32d Iowa Infantry.
Amos B. Miller came to Cerro Gordo county from Vinton in 1855 and settled at Mason City. He was a single man and came with Thomas Drummond, the first lawyer in the county, and they formed a partnership for the transaction of real estate business. They continued in partnership until Drummond returned to Vinton. When the war broke out, Miller enlisted, as stated, and was killed at the battle of Pleasant Hill, Louisiana.
Miller was a man who made many friends among the early settlers. He is described by an old resident as being a "plain, genial, blunt-spoken, warm-hearted and every-day kind of a man."
[Page 655] Edson C. Miller, M. D., located in Rockwell, March 19, 1874. lie began the study of medicine in 1869 with Dr. W. C. Lewis, of Clermont, Fayette Co., graduating at the Chicago Medical College, March 10, 1874, when he came to his present home. He was born in West Virginia in 1846. His parents, Abraham and Nancy (Ross) Miller, removed to Pennsylvania when he was an infant, thence to Allamakee Co., Iowa, in 1857, where they resided until their death, Sept. 27, 1877.
He married Mary L., a daughter of William R and Martha L. (Reynolds) Putnam, and they have one child — Shirley P. The doctor is a prominent member of the I. O. O. F. at Rockwell; also the present mayor of the village. He is a brother of Captain G. R. Miller, of Mason City.
[Pages 636] Captain George R. Miller, one of the old settlers of Iowa and at present a resident of Mason City, was born in Crawford Co., Penn., Jan. 21, 1831. His parents, Abram and Nancy (Ross) Miller, both now deceased, were among the first settlers of the county in which the subject of this sketch was born.
Mr. Miller emigrated to the State of Iowa and settled in Allamakee county in October, 1856. At the age of fifteen he was apprenticed to learn the tailors trade and served his full time, three years, in the town of Smithfield, Penn. During the time he was working at his trade, by improving his leisure hours, he prepared himself to teach, and on the expiration of his time, commenced teaching in Erie Co., Penn., and taught for eight years in the public schools until he came west. At the age of twenty-six years he commenced the study of law, was admitted to practice at Lansing, Allamakee county, in 1859, and continued to practice law in that county until 1868, at which time he removed to Mason City, Cerro Gordo county. For six years thereafter he was the law partner of Hon. I. W. Card. The firm is now Miller & Cligitt and has a high standing in northern Iowa.
In 1861 Mr. Miller received a lieutenant's commission from Adjutant General Baker and recruited for the 1st Iowa Cavalry, and the 5th and 12th Iowa Infantry. The next year he recruited company I, 27th Iowa Infantry and went into the service as captain, serving until June, 1863, when his health became so poor from long continued sickness and exposure, that he was discharged from service.
He represented Allamakee county as a member of the twelfth General Assembly, being in the lower house. He has been quite active in politics since he became a resident of Iowa, and was a delegate to the National democratic convention in 1876, at St. Louis. He has occupied many stations of trust and responsibility of minor importance; was president of the Cerro Gordo County Agricultural Society for four years; president of the board of trade, Mason City; is now serving his third term on the board of education in Mason City as president; and is grand master of the order of United Workmen for Iowa.
In June, 1853, he married Mary E. Burchinal, of Fayette Co., Penn. They have five children, all born in Iowa. The eldest, R. J. Miller, late principal of schools at Rockwell, Iowa, is twenty-four years of age; Ella (Miller) Loring, wife of H. P. Loring, twenty-three years old; Thomas B., principal of schools at Plymouth, twenty-one years old; Will E., eighteen years of age, and Lulu May, twelve years old.
Mr. Miller has a liberal education, obtained through his own exertions without assistance, save diligence and perseverance. He has been successful in his profession; is, and always has been, identified with whatever is calculated to promote the best interests of society, and may be said to be one of the live men of northern Iowa. In religion, Mr. Miller is a Baptist; is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity and an Odd Fellow since 1852.
[Page 904] Among the settlers of 1876 was George R. Miller, a native of Vermont, born in Alburgh, Grand Isle county, Feb. 10, 1823. When but a few years of age his father died, and soon after his mother moved to Canada and located in the province of Quebec. When he was seventeen years old, he commenced to learn the blacksmith trade. After a few months of hard work, he and the trade had a falling out, as he remarked to a friend, and he then turned his attention to farming.
He was married in 1849, to Mary Wilsey, who was a native of Canada He settled at Russelltown, where he remained until 1854, at which time he moved west. He made the trip to Chicago by lake, and from there he took a team and drove to Minnesota, locating in Fillmore county. He built a log house which he covered with shakes. He remained in this until 1869, when he built a good frame house. In 1876 he sold out and removed to Lime Creek township.
Mrs. Miller died in January, 1879. In 1883 they had three children living — Sabra, George E. and Lucinda. His second wife, to whom he was married in November, 1873, was Helen Maning. By this union there were two children — Julia W., and Ethel E. Mrs. Miller also has three children by her first husband — Hattie H., Lottie L. and Eddie M.
[Page ] W. H. Moffett settled in Lincoln township in 1868. He was born in Chenango Co., N. Y., Nov. 6, 1839, and emigrated with his parents to Walworth Co., Wis., in 1859.
In 1861 he enlisted in company A, 4th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, serving under Gen. Banks until May, 1866, when he returned to Wisconsin and in 1868 came to Iowa, and has since that time lived in this township.
In 1860 he married Susan Hill, daughter of William and Mary Hill. They have eight living children — Delos P., Fred, Clarence, Bert, Hubert, Wayne, Maud, Edna and May.
[Page 881] Milton Young Moore settled on section 15, in the spring of 1876, having purchased the farm of Theron Palmeter. He was born in Centre Co., Penn., in 1835. When he was nine years old his parents, Thomas and Sarah (Richards) Moore, removed with their family to Clinton Co., Ohio. The mother died in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1856. The father went to West Virginia, where he died in 1876.
From Ohio Mr. Young, of this sketch, went to Indiana, remaining there two years. He came to Lee Co., Iowa, in 1858. He married Lydia E. Cook, a native of Salem, Henry Co., Iowa, They are the parents of six children — Mary Ida, eldest, is the wife of James McLaughlin; Lizzie married R. W. Clark, of Clear Lake. The others are Edgar T., Ethel L., Arthur C. and Milton W.
Mr. Moore's farm contains 177 acres.
[Page 827] William H. Moore resides in the village of Rock Falls, where he removed in the spring of 1883. He was born in Orleans Co., N. Y., Nov. 28, 1820. His parents removed soon after his birth to Ontario county, and four years after went to Yates county. When he was thirteen years old, they settled in Washtenaw Co., Mich., where they were pioneers of York township. At the age of twenty-one Mr. Moore returned to the Empire State, where he remained some time occupied in farming in Ontario and Allegany counties.
He was married in Allegany county, Oct. 24, 1847, to Hannah A. Potter. In 1865 he went to Barry Co., Mich., where he bought land in the oak openings. He improved his farm and built a house and occupied the same place until 1860, when he sold and went to Minnesota, taking up his residence in Freeborn county, where lie bought government land in the township of Freeman. He built a home and made other improvements, remaining there until 1876, when he again disposed of his land by sale and removed to Cerro Gordo county, buying 240 acres of land on sections 26, X4 and 35, which he occupied until his retiring, when he rented this property.
His wife died in 1855 leaving a son Edwin G. He was again married in July, 1858, to Euphemia A. Pickle. From the second marriage there are three children — Everett S., Mary Luella and Addie.
[Page 937] O. B. Moran located where he now lives, in Pleasant Valley township, in 1877. He was born in Westchester Co., N. Y., in November, 1835, resided there until 1848, then went to London, Conn., residing there in the family of Staunton Hewitt until he reached his majority, then came to Iowa, stopping first in Clayton county. In 1865 he went into Franklin county, but soon returned to Clayton county. In 1866 he again went to Franklin county, and engaged in farming in Richland township until 1877, when he came to his present home.
He married Mary A. Shobe, daughter of John Shobe. They have two children — John A. and Myrtie L. In politics Mr. Moran is a democrat.
[Page 938] Michael V. Moroney purchased the farm on section 1, Pleasant Valley township, in 1878. It was then almost wild prairie land, but by labor and thrift he has converted it into a fine well improved farm. He was born in Ireland, Oct. 2, 1846. When four years of age his parents emigrated to the United States, settling in Outagamie Co., Wis., where they were among the pioneers.
He received a good common school education, remaining at home farming until 1878, when he was united in marriage to Margaret Reddin, when they at once came to Iowa, locating on their present home. He is regarded as one of the leading men in the township, and has held various offices of trust. They have two children — Ellen and Mary. His mother lives with them, his father being dead.
[Page 808] Among the few settlers who located in the township in 1854 was Richard Morris. Upon his arrival, he had but $1.60 left in his pocket and no funds from which to draw. He at once sought employment by which to drive the "wolf from his door," and he got work on a saw mill, which was going up at Nora Springs. He sowed some buckwheat and planted a small patch of corn, near Nora Springs, which provided something upon which to subsist during the following winter. In October of that year he came to Falls township, and bought a claim on section 22. There was a small cabin on the land, but it had no roof, so he at once covered it with shakes. He was forced to sell one of his horses to raise money with which to enter his land, and then had to borrow, paying 40 per cent, in order to make out enough. His family lived the first winter on buckwheat cakes and corn meal ground in a coffee mill. The following spring he went to the Turkey river for some flour, and paid $6 per hundred after going that long journey of sixty miles and return. This family contented themselves in this cabin until 1879, at which time they built a comfortable house.
Mr. Morris is a Green Mountain boy by birth, having first seen the sunlight in Bennington Co., Vt., Nov. 28, 1812. During the first year of his life his parents removed to Washington Co. N. Y. In 1824 they became residents of Cattaraugus county, in the same State, where they were early settlers. There his father bought government land and cleared a farm.
Mr. Morris remained at home until twenty-one years of age when he was married to Fannie Stoddard, a native of Vermont, born Dec. 1, 1811. He purchased forty acres of land in Erie Co., N. Y., built a log house, cleared most of his tract of land and held it as a homestead four years, when he moved to LaGrange, Wyoming county. Five years later he changed his residence to Roscoe, Ohio, and worked three years as a carpenter, when he again made a transfer to Dresden, sixteen miles from Roscoe. Here he bought a team and engaged in the transfer of supplies and manufactures for a distillery, operating between Dresden and Zanesville. After three years he purchased a lot in Uhrichsville, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, built a house and worked as a carpenter until 1853, when he set forth to seek a spot for a home in the west. He spent a winter in McHenry Co., Ill., and the following spring came to Iowa. The next fall he settled in township 97 north, range 19 west of the fifth principal meridian, buying a claim on section 22. The record of Mr. Morris is eminently creditable to him. Coming to the State with nothing but his team, he has pushed his way with energy and economy, until he owns 420 acres of land, well equipped with good buildings.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Morris, ten in number, were born in the following order — Edwin F., Florilla, Charles S., Mary J., Ellen, Rebecca, Joseph, Matilda, Olive A. and Alice. Ellen died when six years old. Mary became the wife of Minor Wright, settled in Kansas, and died in 1877, leaving four children.
[Page 815] George O. Morse is a native of the Empire State. He was born in Pittstown, Rensselaer county, Nov. 24, 1826. He was a farmer's son and trained to the pursuit of his father, receiving also a fair education. At the age of seventeen he entered upon his contest with the world, engaging first with a farmer at $5.50 per mouth. He came west in 1855 for the purpose of establishing himself in life, and entered land in Cerro Gordo county, township 97 north, and 19 west, on sections 26 and 27. He stayed a night with Elijah Wiltfong, and after securing the entry of his land, went to Illinois, rented land, bought a considerable flock of sheep, and pursued farming there until 1860, when he came back to Iowa and settled on his land. He built a log house, in which he lived two years, when he bought a farm of Elijah Wiltfong, on section 21, to which he transferred his residence. In 1865 he built another log house on the place, which he occupied until 1871, when he erected the frame house which is his present abode. He is one of the most extensive landholders in the township, having 800 acres.
Mr. Morse was married in 1858 to Eliza A. Williams, a native of Saratoga Co., N. Y. The record of the children of Mrs. and Mrs. Morse is as follows - Ella, born April 9, 1859, died Oct. 12, 1880; Emma F., born Aug. 5, 1857, died in April, 1882. The other children are George F., Burt and Oscar. The parents are members of the M. E. Church.
[Pages 922-23] A. W. Mullan, postmaster and justice of the peace, is the pioneer merchant of Portland. He was born in Boston, Mass., April 14, 1839. tie is a son of Martha and Mary (Whelan) Mullan, and being deprived of his mother, by death, when he was two years of age, he was cared for in the family of his maternal uncle, John Whelan. In 1842 the latter removed to Waukesha Co., Wis., where Mr. Mullan was occupied with agriculture until eighteen years old, when he learned the carpenter's trade.
On the breaking out of the rebellion Mr. Mullan enlisted. He was enrolled in August, 1862, in company B, 28th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and remained in the service of the Union about three years, receiving an honorable discharge in June, 1865.
On his return to Wisconsin he resumed his trade, and in 1867 was married to Melvina McCormick. Mrs. Mullan was born in Dodge Co., Wis. In 1870 Mr. Mullan came to Iowa and pursued his trade at Mason City until 1877, at which date he established his present business at Portland. He has one son — Charles Mullan. He is a republican in political sentiment, and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
[Page 625] Hon. Samuel Murdock was born near Pittsburg, Penn., March 17, 1817. When eleven years old his father moved to Ohio, settling on a farm near Cleveland. There the son remained several years, aiding his father three-fourths of each year, attending a district school the rest of the time, and completing his studies under a teacher with a few terms at an academy in Cleveland He taught school at different places in Ohio, when he went to Kalamazoo Co., Mich., in 1838, taught there one season, returned to Ohio and continued teaching, and in 1841, emigrated to Iowa. In the autumn of that year, he is found in the law office of Hon. Oilman Folsoom, Iowa City, where he remained until he was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1843. He immediately removed to Garnavillo, Clayton county, and began practice, being the first lawyer in the county. In March, 1876, he removed to Elkader, Clayton county, where he still lives. Mr. Murdock is a man of education and refinement, and has the reputation throughout the State of being an able lawyer and a sound jurist.
[Page 630] J. W. Murphy located at Mason City in 1857, coming from Pennsylvania. He had but little [law] practice, and left after trying it for three of four monts. He was a married man; a first-rate fellow, an dhad the appearance of a man who would be a success under favorable circumstances.
[Page 904] Lewis C. Neidermyer came to the township in 1877. He is a native of Germany, born June 6, 1850. When four years old he came, in company with his parents, to America, settling in Orange Co., N. J. When but fourteen years of age, he enlisted in company H, 39th New Jersey Volunteers, and was with the regiment until its discharge in July, 1865. He participated in the battles of Hatch's Run, Pittsburg Landing, Stone Creek, and many other engagements. When discharged he returned home.
When he was only seventeen years old he started out in life for himself, first going to Indiana, where he engaged in farming one year, and then went to Colorado, and there engaged in mining and farming for about eighteen months, after which he returned as far as Kansas, and spent four years near Atchison, and from there went to Illinois, spending one year, thence to Pierce Co., Wis.
He was married in 1876 to Miss L. Thing. They have four children — Florence E., Clarence C, Chester and Frank.
[Page 907] Mr. Nelson was born in Norway, March 4, 1841. He was reared to the age of nineteen on a farm, when he determined upon a seafaring life. He was a sailor four years, and the fortunes of his wandering life made him acquainted with the chief entry ports of Russia, Greece, Turkey, Adusa on the Black Sea, and other harbors of the Eastern Continent. He came to America in 1864, landing at Quebec. He went directly to Chicago, and during the first year spent his time prospecting. In 1865 he went to Jacksonville, Ill., where he was employed four years in a brick yard. His next move was to Ackley, Iowa, and there he was engaged in the same calling two years.
In 1871 he came to Mason City and founded his present business, as stated. He was married in 1872 to Nellie Gates, a native of Norway. They have four children — Annie, Jennie, Gilbert and Hanna Elisa.
[Page 847] William Nettleton, one of the largest farmers and stock dealers in Geneseo township, is located on section 27, where he located in March, 1882. His farm contains 320 acres, which he purchased of Frank Andrews. Mr. Nettleton is a native of Ireland; he was born in Antrim county, in 1836, and emigrated with his father, Benjamin Nettleton, to Dixon, Ill., and later to Paw Paw in the same State, where his father died in 1851. Mr. Nettleton enlisted, in 1862, in the 75th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, company K, and served till the war closed. He was at the battles of Perryville, Chickamanga, Lookout Mountain, siege of Atlanta; and when Sherman marched to the sea, he fought with Gen. Thomas.
In the fall of 1866 he settled in Ingham township, Franklin Co., Iowa, where he bought a farm of James Allen. He lived on this farm and at Hampton for two and a half years, when he removed to Cherokee county, where he remained till he came to this township. He has a fine farm of rolling land from which a beautiful cold spring flows forth, affording an abundant supply of pure water for domestic and stock purposes.
Mr. Nettleton married Maria Miller, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children — Charles B., Ernest and Guy C.
[Page 908] The first man to break sod in this township was Edwin Nichols, in 1858, at which time he broke nine acres of his present farm. He raised his first wheat in the summer of 1860. He made improvements from time to time, and in 1866 erected a house, which was the first dwelling in the township. Mr. Nichols did not live on the farm himself, but rented it. Edwin Nichols came to Cerro Gordo county, in company with Oscar Stevens, and brought the machinery for a steam saw mill which they established at Clear Lake. After operating the mill two seasons, Mr. Nichols sold his interest to Mr. Stevens. He had, on coming to the county, purchased 400 acres of land, and, on disposing of his mill property, he gave his landed estate his undivided attention.
When the rebellion shook the country to its remotest limits, Mr. Nichols responded to the Nation's cry for help by enlisting in company B, 32d Iowa, and after active service through three years was discharged for physical disability.
He returned to Clear Lake, but impaired health precluded his engaging in any active business. He managed the improvements on his land and put it in first-class condition, and, in 1880, established his residence thereon. His farm now includes 300 acres, and is one of the most valuable and desirable homesteads in this part of Iowa. His principles are those of the democratic party.
Edwin Nichols was born in Massachusetts, March 7, 1827. He is a son of Charles and Fanny (Coomes) Nichols. They left the Bay State in 1846 and settled in Dane Co., Wis., where the father died Aug. 26, of the same year. The mother died in 1850. Of their family of eleven children, six only are living. The brothers and sisters of Mr. Nichols are Emmeline, Mary, Susan, John and Harriet E. In 1852 Mr. Nichols connected himself with the westward tide flowing with increasing volume toward the Pacific slope, and spent two years in the mining ventures of California, meeting with signal success.
His domestic history dates from May, 1856, when he was married at Portage City, Wis., to Elizabeth Hendrickson. Mr. and Mrs. Nichols have had five children — Florence A., Edwin J., Charles B., (born Oct. 16, 1859, and died March 9, 1860), Charles L. and Wilfred C. Mr. Nichols belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
[Page 647] Dr. A. A. Noyes, allopath, began the practice of medicine at Mason City, in 1867. He came here from Baraboo, Wis., where he had been in practice. He was a well educated, polished gentleman, and thoroughly understood his calling. He remained, having a good practice, until 1882, when he returned to his former home in Baraboo, Wis., where he still lives.
[Page 719-20] S. Loyes succeeded Mr. Charles B. Senior [as Cerro Gordo county auditor], being elected in 1873. Mr. Moyes came to Cerro Gordo county at an early day, and by his genial and kind disposition made many warm friends. He ws for many years engaged in the newspaper business in this county, at times on the Cerro Gordo Republican and again on the Clear Lake Independent. He remained in the county, actively interested in all public affairs until the time of his death, Jan. 18, 1875. He was buried with Masonic honors in the Clear Lake cemetery, a special train from Mason City conveying his remains to his last resting place.
Return to 1883 Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page