Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
Union Publ. Co. Springfield IL. 1883.
"L" Biographies: Lamson ~ Lyman
Compiled & Contributed by Susan Steveson
[Page 796] George Lamson, livery man, was an early settler in Iowa, his residence in the State dating from August, 1845. He was born in Essex Co., N. Y., Oct. 16, 1829. In August, 1845, his father emigrated to this State, and settled in Jackson county, ten miles west of the present town of Maquoketa, where he spent the remainder of his life. Mr. Lamson was engaged in farming in Jackson county until 1866, when he removed to Anamosa, Jones Co., Iowa. He remained eight years, operating in grain and stock. In 1874 he transferred his business to Garner, Hancock county, and in 1880 he came to Clear Lake, where he entered upon his present business, succeeding Roehe & Hall. His brother, E. T Lamson, is a prominent citizen of Greene, Butler county. Mr. Lamson was married, in Jackson county, to Nancy Duncan. They have two sons and five daughters.
[Page 909] Richard T. Lane claims to be the first permanent settler in Mount Vernon township. He is a man of decided character and influence, and is warmly interested in all public or private enterprises, calculated to add to either general or individual progress. He was born in Prince Edward's Island, June 1, 1827. His parents, Joseph and Elizabeth Lane, with eleven children, came to the States in 1857, and settled in Bristol Co., Mass. His father died in 1862; his mother still lives on the homestead. Nine of the brothers and sisters of Mr. Lane are yet living — Samuel, Edward, George, Philip, John, Ann, Rachel, Joseph and Herbert. Martha is dead.
Mr. Lane was married July 29, 1857, to Abbie A. Carpo. She died July 22, 1859, leaving two children, one of whom is now living — Harriet. Mr. Lane was married again April 1, 1860, to Amanda R. Staples. Five of six children born from the second marriage are still living — Abbie, (Mrs. George Babcock), Petronella, Dora, Annie and Claudia. In 1864 Mr. Lane settled in Wisconsin, and in 1869 fixed his residence in Mount Vernon township.
[Page 767] Fred Langenberg, the oldest German resident of Clear Lake township, settled in Cerro Gordo county in July, 1866. His father, John Langenberg came to America with his family in 1850 and located near Fond du Lac, Wis. In 1870 he came to this township, where he died. Mr. Langenberg, of this sketch, was born in Saxe Weimar, Germany, in 1842. In 1877 he located on his present property on section 10, where he owns 240 acres of land under an advanced state of cultivation. He is a notable farmer and stock-raiser of the township, and is in the front rank of its substantial and prosperous citizens.
[Page 815] Francis Joseph Langschadl is a Bohemian by birth. He attended school in the celebrated city of Kuttenbrg until thirteen years old, when he entered upon a course of instruction as a dyer, which calling he pursued utnil 1852. He labored as a farmer for six years, and in 1858 left his native country for America.
His first location was in Mahoning Co., Ohio, where he worked in a tannery three years,and then went back to the land of his birth, where he owned property. He spent nearly a year there, and on selling his farm came back to the United States.
In 1863 he bought land in Cerro Gordo county, this State, on sections 4 and 5. He lived twelve years in the log home he built, and then constructed the stone residence in which he now lives.
He was married in 1869 to Miss Fitzl, also a native of Bohemia. They have two children - Francis and Sylvia. Mr. Langschadl was born in 1830.
[Pages 753 &n 885] One of the early settlers of Lincoln township, died Friday, May 3, 1878, of paralysis. Thomas Law was born in Scotland in 1806. He was married in 1830 to Mary Hamilton, and they were blessed with twelve children — six boys and six girls ; two of each died in infancy and eight lived to man and womanhood and settled about the family homestead. Mr. Law came with his family to America in 1849, and first stopped in New York for a time. From there he moved to Wisconsin, and in 1863 came to Iowa and settled in Lincoln township, this county, where he lived until the time of his death. He was ever an upright and honest citizen, and was held in high esteem by all who knew him for his many good traits of character.
Thomas Law, Sr., is a son of "Auld Scotia," born in 1806. In youth he learned the weaver's trade, which occupation he followed in his native country. He was married in 1830 to Mary Hamilton. In 1849 he came to the United States and took up his residence in Oneida Co., N. Y. and was employed in the dyeing department of the New York Mills.
He brought out his family in 1850. In 1855 he went to Columbia Co., Wis., and engaged in agriculture. Some time after he went to Dodge county in that State. He came to Iowa in the fall of 1863 and located on section 16, Lincoln township, where he died in 1878. His wife is still living. They reared a family of twelve children, eleven of whom were born in Scotland, and seven are still living. Following are the names of those surviving — Thomas, Jeanette, Mary, John, James, Elizabeth and Isabella.
[Page 885] Thomas Law, Jr., was born in Scotland, Dec. 3, 1830, and was instructed in the weaver's trade. He came to the United States in 1850 with the other members of his father's family, and worked in the New York Mills, of Oneida Co., N. Y. He went to Wisconsin in 1855 and in 1861 to Michigan.
In February of that year he was married to Mary Bishop, daughter of William and Janet Bishop. In 1862 Mr. Law went back to Wisconsin, and came to Iowa in the same year in search of a permanent location, and after some prospecting fixed upon Cerro Gordo county. In 1863 he brought his family to Iowa and established a home, where he now resides. Mrs. Law died Oct. 3, 1878, leaving five children — Jessie C, William H., Mary E., Annie M. and Thomas B. Mr. Law was a second time married. His second marriage was with Mary Ann, daughter of Thomas H. and Susan French, and occurred Nov. 27, 1879. They have one son — John S. Mr. Law belongs to the republican party and has been township clerk, and was township treasurer for a period of six years. The family attend the Congregational Church.
[Page 644] J. L. Lee, of the firm of Lee & Adams, is a native of Ohio. He was born at Toledo in August, 1852. In 1874 he entered upon the study of the law at Moulton, Appanoose Co., Iowa, of which place he had been a resident for a number of years. He was admitted to the bar in October, 1875, and had practiced about two years previous to his removal to Clear Lake in March, 1878. His wife was Louella, daughter of Rev. Jacob Neal. She was born in Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Lee have two children. Mr. Lee has now a lucrative practice and is one of the leading attorneys of the county. He is president of the Iowa Vigilant Live Stock Mutual Insurance Company.
[Page 987] John Lee, of the firm of Warbasse & Lee, was born in Brooklin, N. Y., Aug. 15, 1883 (*). His parents are of Scotch descent. Mr. Lee was educated in the common schools, after which for fifteen years he engaged in the butcher business. He spent the next ten years of his life in speculation. Following this he was employed in the United States custom house, which place he resigned and was asked by C. A. Arthur, the present President of the United States, who had charge of such matters, to name his successor.
In 1875 he came to Mason City and embarked in trade. In 1876 he was elected as one of the city corporation board. He was married in 1868 to Susan C. Stryker. Mr. and Mrs. Lee have three children living — Susan C, Harry and Charles. In politics, Mr. Lee is a staunch republican. He was one of the members who formed the Grant Club, in Brooklin, N. Y. He also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. (*) This is what was printed in the book.
[Page 880] Benjamin Leonard, Jr., came to Cerro Gordo county in 1875. His farm is on section 5, Clear Lake township, on which he took up his abode in the fall of 1882. He was born in Niagara Co., N. Y., April 4, 1836. When he was fourteen his father, Benjamin Leonard, Sr., removed to Wisconsin, and is still living in Green county in that State. Benjamin Leonard became a soldier in the hour of his country's sore need, enlisting twelve days after, the firing on Fort Sumter, in the 3d Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He was with General Pope in the Shenandoah Valley, and received a severe gun-shot wound in the right arm at Antietam, two years after his enrollment. The result was his discharge.
He went to Wisconsin, where he was married to Lavina Brayton, a native of Illinois. In 1871 he went to Kansas, where he resided four years. Mr. and Mrs. Leonard have four children — Walter J., Flora A., Lily May and Imogene. Mrs. Leonard's brother, Charles Brayton, resides on the same section. In 1878 he bought his farm of W. G. Ettles.
He is a native of McHenry Co., Ill., born in 1838. He went to Wisconsin, and, in 1862, enlisted as a soldier of the civil war, in the 31st Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was in the service three years. In 1868 he located north of the lake from which the township is named. Mrs. Brayton is a native of Illinois. They have three children — Ed, Elna and Hattie.
[Page 997] A. T. Lien, of the firm of Lien Bros., coal and lime dealers, is a native of Norway; he was born April 21, 1844, and came to America in 1866, arriving June 28. In 1870 he located in Mason City, and in 1876 he and his brother formed a partnership with Farrell & White, and built the Champion Lime Kiln, which they managed until 1878, when the Lien Bros, purchased Farrell & White's interest. They continued the business, and in 1881 added coal. They were still in business in 1883, doing a trade of $18,000 annually.
[Page 759] Robert L. Lillibridge became a resident of Bath township in 1874, where he bought land on section 16, but for two years rented land and resided on section 15, meanwhile improving his own land until 1876, when he built his house, moved into it, and now resides there in comfort. He is a native of Waterford, Erie Co., Penn., born May 26 1840. His youth was spent in school and on the farm. In December, 1869, he went to Michigan, spending the winter and spring in Ovid Center. In the spring of 1860 he went to Carroll Co., Ill., and engaged in farming until July, 1861, when he enlisted in company A, 45th Illinois Volunteers. He reenlisted at Black River, Miss., January, 1864, and was with his regiment till the close of the war and took part in many of the severest battles. In February, 1862, at the battle of Fort Donelson, he was wounded and was in the hospital for a while, went home on a furlough to Pennsylvania, but soon rejoined his regiment at Jackson, Tenn. He was also with Sherman on his march to the sea.
He was honorably discharged July 6, 1865, then returned to Pennsylvania, March, 1866, came to Iowa and stopped in Greeley, Delaware county, where he was married June 14, 1868, to Rachael Tripp, a native of Canada, whose parents were among the first settlers of Delaware county, where he was brought up. Here he and his wife resided until February, 1874, when they came to Bath. Since he came here he has taken an active part in township affairs, and was elected town clerk in 1882, an office which he now holds.
[Page 878] J. G. Lindon, of the firm of Lindon & Bolton, stock dealers, was born in England in 1850 and was there trained to the vocation of farmer. In 1869 he came to the United States and spent a year at Watertown, Wis., coming to Clear Lake in 1870, and at once entered into his present business. The co-partnership of Lindon & Bolton was formed in 1877. The house is ranked among the most extensive in the State, and enjoys a large degree of public confidence. At the present writing, May, 1883, they have in stock 3,000 head of cattle, all of which were wintered within a radius of a few miles. Mr. Lindon has had large experience in the management of stock, and is versed and practiced in the details of business. The interests of the firm are extending, and have every prospect of far Outstretching their present dimensions. Lindon & Bolton own a fine farm of 400 acres near town, and Mr. Lindon owns individually a quarter section.
His fine residence is situated in the east part of the village. Mrs. Lindon was formerly Carrie E. Quick, a native of Ohio, of English descent. She is the mother of two children — della and Vida Belle Lindon.
[Page 991] E. R. Lloyd became a resident of Mason City in July, 1868. His initial business venture was the leasing of a stone building, which was then being erected by Tucker & Francisco, where he put in a general stock of hardware, and in September of the same year commenced the hardware and agricultural machinery business. In 1870-1, in company with A. B. Tnttle, he built what is known as Lloyd & Tuttle's block and public hall. In 1871 he sold his hardware stock, and attended more strictly to the agricultural machinery business, and in December, 1872, J. M. Dougan became associated with him in this business. These relations continued until near the close of 1875. Mr. Lloyd has been active in the progress of Mason City ever since he came to live in the county. He has erected two fine business houses, also several dwelling houses, and is now engaged in the real estate business. He owns several valuable farms in Cerro Gordo county, and town property in Mason City. Mr. Lloyd was born in Wales, Great Britain. When a child he came to America with his parents, who located in Oneida Co., N. Y. At the age of sixteen he removed to Wisconsin, where he was variously occupied until 1861, at which time he entered into the furniture business at Faribault, Minnesota. This business he continued for some time, when he sold his interest in the business and became associated in the hardware business with his brother, D. D. Lloyd, and W. W. Knapp. This business he continued until the fall of 1867, when he sold his interest in the business to his partners and removed to Mason City. Mr. Lloyd is a republican in political sentiment, and was elected a member of the first city council after the city was incorporated, and to the same office four subsequent terms. He belongs to the order of Masons, Blue Lodge and Chapter.
In June, 1881, he was married to Delia Dougan, of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd have one child.
[Page 716] The first judge of Cerro Gordo county was John B. Long. He was elected upon the organization of the county, in August, 1855, but before the expiration of his term became involved in personal difficulties and resigned the office.
John B. Long came in 1854 from Rockford, Ill., and settled about a mile from where Mason City now stands. He lived upon his frm and started a store in town. He was much interested in the county seat matters and the part he took has indissolubly connected his name with the inception and beginning of Mason City. In 1857 he removed to Missouri, and later to Arkansas, where he now lives.
[Page 706] W. V. Lucas was born July 2, 1835, in Carroll Co., Ind. On the 25th of April, 1856, he located in Bremer Co., Iowa. When the war broke out he enlisted as a private in company B, 14th regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and Nov. 26, 1862, was promoted to 1st lieutenant. On the 5th of April, 1863, he was commissioned as captain, and as such completed his term of service. In October, 1865, he was elected treasurer of Bremer county, and was twice re-elected. Mr. Lucas was elector on the republican ticket in 1876, and was chief clerk of the House of Representatives of Iowa, of the seventeenth and eighteenth General Assemblies. Mr. Lucas was connected with the newspaper press of Iowa for sixteen years, and editor of the Cerro Gordo County Republican from 1876to 1883. Mr. Lujas is one of the most forcible and accomplished public speakers in the State; and is a well known republican stump orator. He is a man who always must be popular and command respect wherever he may cast his lot. W. V. Lucas, of Mason City, was elected a member of the Iowa Board in 1876.
[Page 839] George E. Lyman came to his present home on section 36, in February, 1860. He was born in Susquehanna Co., Penn., Sept. 18, 1828. His parents removed to Wyoming county, where he married Sarah E. Kentner, a native of Monroe Co., Penn., born Oct. 9, 1834, and who had removed with her parents to Wyoming county, when an infant. After his marriage he removed to Lee Co., Ill., from thence to Iowa in 1860. He bought 680 acres, now having but 375 under an excellent state of cultivation.
During the war he enlisted Dec. 15, 1863, in the 4th regiment, Iowa Cavalry, and served until its close, participating in the battles of Guntown, capture of Selma, Ala., Columbus and Macon, Georgia, and numerous campaigns.
They are the parents of seven children, five of whom are now living — Lucretia M. wife of George H. Felthous, born Dec. 10, 1851; Myron W. born April 3, 1853, died July 28, 1857; an infant daughter born Dec. 23, 1854; died Feb. 1, 1855; Mary E. wife of C. W. Harris, born July 6, 1856; Eddie W. born July 10, 1860; Elma L. born April 15, 1862; and Lena L. born Dec. 10, 1863.
Return to 1883 Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page