Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project

          

 

History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa
Union Publ. Co. Springfield IL. 1883.

"H" Biographies:  Hammond ~ Hutchins

Compiled & Contributed by Susan Steveson

James A. Hammond

[Page 767] James A. Hammond resides on section 1, Clear Lake township, where he settled in 1818. He purchased his land unimproved, but he now owns 120 acres, and has good improvements. He was born in Herkimer Co., N. Y., April 3, 1825, his parents being Stephen and Lorency Hammond. He was reared on a farm, and received a good education.

On Sept. 30, 1 853, he married Mary Williamson, who is a native of Otsego Co., N. Y. Mr. Hammond followed farming in his native State until he came to Iowa, in 1868. They have six children - Edgar, Ida, Stephen, Jennie, Francis and Minnie. In politics Mr. Hammond is a republican, but only takes enough interest in political matters to go to the polls and vote.

David W. Hamstreet

[Page 942] David W. Hamstreet has been a resident of Cerro Gordo county since 1871. His parents, Jonathan and Elizabeth Hamstreet, were residents of the State of New York at the time of his birth, April 11, 1841. They afterward went to Wisconsin, removing there with their family and interests, and settled on a farm, where David grew to man's estate. On coming to Iowa he resided at Clear Lake until 1875, when he settled in Union township. Mr. Hamstreet is a republican in politics and is at present justice of the peace.

David W. Hamstreet

[Page 940] David W. Hamstreet has been a resident of Cerro Gordo county since 1871. His parents, Jonathan and Elizabeth Hamstreet, were residents of the State of New York at the time of his birth, April 11, 1841. They afterward went to Wisconsin, removing there with their family an interests, and settled on a farm, where David grew to man's estate. On coming to Iowa, he resided at Clear Lake until 1875, when he settled in Union township. Mr. Hamstreet is a republican in politics and is at present justice of the peace.

George Hamstreet

[Page 942] George Hamstreet, son of Jonathan and Elizabeth Hamstreet, is a self-made man. He was born in LaFayette Co., Wis., Feb. 18, 1855, and resided in his native State until 1878. In that year he came to Iowa, and purchased forty acres of land in Union township. He had little means, but a plentiful amount of the more necessary article called pluck. He was bent on making his venture successful, and he accomplished his purpose by sheer determination. He now owns a good farm, made valuable by the character and amount of improvements he has made.

In 1882 he was married to Frances, daughter of A. L. and L. Grippen, of Mason City. Mr. Hamstreet is a Republican, has been in local official positions, and is at present secretary of the school board.

G. B. Haney

[Page 798] G. B. Haney, of the firm of Gilman & Haney, lumber dealers, was born in the State of Tennessee, in 1848. His father, J. M. Haney, was a native of Alabama and his mother, Mary E. Winsett, was born in Tennessee, Mr. Haney removed with his parents to Wisconsin about 1850. His father is deceased, and his mother resides at Osage, Michael Co., Iowa.

Mr. Haney resided in Osage from 1866 till he came to Clear Lake, where he was for sometime engaged in mercantile business. He came to Clear Lake in the fall of 1882, at which time the present partnership was formed.

His wife, Mary Miller Haney, was born in Pennsylvania; they have two children Bernard and James.

Hans K. Hansen

[Page 853] Hans K. Hansen, boot and shoe maker, located in Rockwell in 1875. He was born in Denmark, in 1846, the family emigrating to the United States when he was ten years old and settling in Waukesha Co., Wis., where his father lived until his decease. His mother now lives in Nebraska. He learned his trade in Waukesha county, and followed it several years in Randolph, Dodge Co., Wis.

He married E. A., a daughter of C. Heyer, a native of Wisconsin. They have three children Minnie, Harley and Jessie.

Nelson Hanson

[Page 881] Nelson Hanson purchased the farm where he resides, in 1880. It is located on section 27, and contains 120 acres. He is a native of Sweden, born in 1836. At the age of eighteen he came to this country, leaving his parents in their native land, where they completed the period of their existence. On coming to America, in 1854, Mr. Hanson went to Darlington, Wis., where he attended school for a time, afterward becoming a student at Beloit College. He learned the trade of mason, to which pursuit he has devoted many years of his life. Mr. Hanson is a man of education, an extensive reader and well versed in all general subjects.

Mrs. Hanson (Jennie A. Moody), was born in Pennsylvania. The Hanson family includes four sons and three daughters.

George H. Harding

[Page 961-62] George H. Harding has been a resident of Mason City since 1871m with the exception of a single year, when he lived on his farm in Lime Creek township. Mr. Harding was born in Orange Co., N. J., Jan. 1, 1836. His parents, David H. and Fannie (Reeves) Harding, wre both natives of the same county. The mother died in December, 1880, at the advanced age of seventy-seven years.

Mr. Harding waas raised on his father's farm, and acquired his educaion in the winter terms of the public school. He learned his trade at the age of twenty-two,a nd made it his active pursuit until he came west. He was married in Chautauqua Co., N. Y., to Cynthia Brightman, who died in March, 1874, leaving one child - Fannie. The character of Mrs. Harding is held in loving remembrance by her family as a consistent Christian and a faithful wife and mother.

The present wife is a sister of the former Mrs. Harding. She is the mother of two - Edna and Charles H. The farm of Mr. Harding contains 240 acres, valued at $7,200. In politics he is a democrat, and is posted on all the issues of the times.

L. R. Harding

[Page 961] L. R. Harding has been a resident of Cerro Gordo county since 1873. He passed a year in Mason township, lived three years in Lake, and has been a citizen of Lincoln township six years. He owns 240 acres of land on section 22. He is the son of David H. and Fannie (Reeves) Harding, and was born in Orange Co., N. Y., April 23, 1832. He was bred to the calling he now follows, and, March 11, 1858, married Hannah, daughter of Daniel and Hannah (Hallock) Mapes, of Orange county, born Aug. 25, 1836.

He resided in the Empire State and interested himself in farming until his removal to Iowa. In politics Mr. Harding is a republican, but was formerly a democrat. He commands the respect and good will of all who know him, for honesty and integrity of character. Mr. and Mrs. Harding have three children Alva, born Feb. 18, 1860; Edgar, born July 15, 1862; Harry T., born April 3, 1864.

J. L. Harkison

[Page 652] J. L. Harkison, dental surgeon, has been engaged in the practice of his profession here since 1879. His acknowledged skill has won him an extended and profitable business. He born in Embro, province of Ontario., May 28, 1855. His parents, John and Ruth (Van Slack) Harkison, are still residents of that place.

Dr. Harkison was reared on a farm, and received a good fundamental education at the common schools. He began to study for his profession in 1873, with Dr. Rupert, at St. Mary's, where he attended lectures and received a certificate allowing him to practice dentistry. In the summer of 1877 he came to Wisconsin and located at Waterloo, where followed his vocation. In 1878 he received an honorary diploma at the dental college of Wisconsin.

C. W. Harris

[Page 850] The furniture business of [Rockwell] is conducted by C. W. Harris. The first man engaging in this business, however, was S. E. Nutting, who moved to Iron Ridge, Wis., and engaged in the lumber business.

C. W. Harris succeeded S. E. Nutting in 1877. Mr. Harris was born in Canada West, in 1846, where he was reared on a farm. His father, Thomas H. Harris, was a native of Maine, and removed with his family from Canada West to Michigan, in the spring of 1862, and now resides in Sheffield, Franklin Co., Iowa. C. W. Harris came to Jones Co., Iowa, with his father and to this county in 1867. He worked at the carpenter trade at Clear Lake, at Rockford and elswhere, until he went into the furniture business here.

The building he now occupies as a furniture store, he moved to its present site, from Linn Grove, and used it as a hardware store for awhile, which was also the first hardware store in the village, and was kept by Harris Brothers. The building was constructed by Marcus Tuttle, and is entirely of hard wood.

Mr. Harris has been justice of the peace since Jan. 1, 1883. His wife was Miss M. E. Lyman, a native of Pennsylvania. Her father was George E. Lyman. They have two children - Maud L. and Ada E., both born in Rockwell.

Shorland Harris

[Page 648] Shorland Harris, M. D., A. M. and F. A S., druggist, came to Mason City in 1869, and is now the oldest graduate in medicine in the county. He was born in Ilfracombe, Devonshire, England, July 22, 1829. He received a classical education and graduated with honors from Exeter college, in 1849. He took his degree in medicine, and like continental practitioners generally, completed his studies by walking the hospitals of Paris and Berlin. He was in the Crimean War medical corps, and is skilled as a linquist, reading all the European languages but three. He is an experienced journalistic correspondent and a vivacious reader He is a ready conversationalist. His private library is extensive and comprises many rare works, some unique and others out of print.

Dr. Harris came to America in 1853, and practiced in New York, Canada and Chicago. He was married Oct. 16, 1872, to Emily Russell. They have one son, LeRoy Vivian, about six years old. Dr. Harris has two daughters by a previous marriage Annie Margaret Louisa, wife of Rev. Philo K. Dayfast, A. B., of Port Colborne, Ontario, and Cleo Belle, residing at Minneapolis. Dr. Harris is a democrat in politics, agnostic in religion, and independent in scientific opinion. His researches into the domain of natural science is bounded only by opportunity and means; nearly all his time outside of his profession being devoted to literature, art and science.

Ansel Harroun

[Page 902] Ansel Harroun is a pioneer in the strongest sense of the term, having changed his location with the westward progress of civilization three times. He was born in Genesee Co., N. Y., Dec. 23, 1818. When he was two and a half years old his parents went to Pennsylvania, and settled in Crawford county, near Meadville. He was educated in the common schools and reared to a farmer's vocation. In 1844 he came west and located in Darien township, Walworth Co., Wis., and two years later went to Fond du Lac county where he was a pioneer. He took up government land in Springdale township, built a log house and proceeded to make the customary improvements preparatory to successful farming. In 1856 he became a pioneer in Olmstead Co., Minn. He bought land in Dover county and engaged in wheat culture.

In 1870 he sold his property and came to Iowa, settling on the northeast quarter of section 24, Lime Creek township. His farm shows all the improvements common to the first-class homesteads of the county. The buildings are good and Mr. Harroun has a fine grove of trees of his own planting. He was married to Delilah Crossly, a native of Crawford Co., Penn. Mr. Harroun is an indefatigable reader and is one of the best informed men in the vicinity.

John Harroun

[Pages 924 & 935] John Harroun, one of the solid men of Portland township, is located on section 19. His handsome and spacious brick dwelling is a decided ornament to the township, and gives evidence of the good taste and home instincts of the proprietor. Among many improvements may be named a bearing orchard of 350 fruit trees, set out in 1876, which he increased in 1883 by setting out 250 more. He hopes to prove further that fruit can be grown successfully in Iowa, and has every encouragement from success already attained.

Mr. Harroun was born in Meadville, Penn., Feb. 24, 1828; is a son of Russell and Alvira (Sizer) Harroun. In 1847 he left the Keystone State and went to Wisconsin, where he remained several years. He went back to Pennsylvania in 1856 and was united in marriage to Lydia B. Greenlee, born in that State, and daughter of Maxon and Catharine (Compton) Greenlee. Soon after Mr. Harroun and wife joined the pioneer corps of Olmstead Co., Minn., and engaged in farming, in which they:; were eminently successful. They disposed of their possessions there in 1875, when they came to Cerro Gordo county and purchased the homestead they now occupy. Park B., Alma E., Lizzie D., Archie and Carrie are the names of the sons and daughters of Mr. Harroun's interesting household. He takes little active interest in politics but votes with the republican party on all general issues. In religious views he is a Christadelphian.

George and B. H. Hartshorn

[Page 631] George and B. F. Hartshorn, father and son, located at Mason City in 1858 and George, the old gentleman, opened a law office. B. F. Hartshorn was admitted to the bar a few years later and the two went into partnership. They were both prominent ment here, and held the respect of the whole community. B. F. Hartshorn represented this district in the General Assembley at one time.

Isaac B. Hathaway

[Page 846] Isaac B. Hathaway was the first drayman of Rockwell. He came in 1873, beginning business September, 1874. He was born in Newport, N. Y., in 1821; afterwards moved to Illinois, and in 1863 removed to Clear Lake, Iowa, working for Marcus Tuttle. He taught school a number of terms in Cerro Gordo county. His wife is a native of Illinois.

C. A. Hawley

[Page ___] C. A. Hawley, a resident of Portland since 1882, by trade a blacksmith and wagon maker, who is now working at his trade, was born in Dane Co., Wis., May 18, 1855, his parents being Thomas and Marion (Ford) Hawley. In 1865 he went to Fillmore Co., Minn., then to Osage, Iowa.

He was married July 3, 1879, to Anna M. Everson, also a native of Wisconsin, her parents being Oley and Jane (Tupper) Everson. They experienced religion in 1880. They have two children - Arthur H. and and Clayton E.

George Hayes

[Page 867] George Hayes, a large stock farmer, was born in Addison Co., Vt., March 13, 1832. His parents were John and Permelia (Devine) Hayes. In 1835 the family removed to New York. Here George was reared on a farm, and in 1853 married Helen Heath, a native of Canada, daughter of John and Evaline (Brown) Heath. In 1854 he emigrated to Illinois, and settled in De Kalb county. Thence he came to Iowa, in 1876. They have had twelve children, eleven now living Edwin, Bennett, Hila, Permelia, Herbert, Servilla, Endora, Frank, Harvey, Harry and Nellie.

Daniel W. Haynes

[Page 922] Daniel W. Haynes, whose vocation is farming, has been a resident of Portland township since the fall of 1870, residing on section 13, where he owns 120 acres of fine land. He was born in Cortland Co., N. Y., Feb. 26, 1838, his parents being William and Phebe (Webster) Haynes. He was bred to farm life, and in 1857 was married to Jane Alice.

In 1860 he emigrated to Olmstead Co., Minn., where he engaged in farming, then removed to Cerro Gordo county, where he has since lived. He has three children Albert, Frederick and Belle. Politically he is a republican, and is a member of the Evangelical Church.

James B. Heath

[Page 880] James B. Heath is a resident on section 32, Lake township, where he fixed his abode in 1875, on a farm of 160 acres. He is a native of England, born in August, 1848. His father, James Heath, made a number of trips to this country before his final emigration in 1849. He landed at New Orleans, whence he proceeded to St. Louis, going thence to Delaware Co., Iowa. He had become thoroughly Americanized when the rebellion threw the Nation into consternation, and adopting the ill as well as the good fortune which befell the land, he enlisted in her defense in the 21st Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served about eight months, when he was discharged for physical disability.

He returned to Delaware county, where he passed the rest of his life. His death occurred Sept 8, 186S, at the age of forty-two years. He was a grain and provision merchant, a calling to which he was trained in his native country. His widow resides at Delhi, Delaware county.

Mr. Heath, of this sketch, married Eliza, daughter of Thomas C. Helm, a native of Kentucky. Mrs. Heath was born in Delaware county. She is the mother of two children Harry C. and Nellie Maud.

George Helm

[Page 818] George Helm came to the township in 1868. He is a native of LaFayette Co., Wis. He was born Nov. 25, 1843, and passed the years of his early life alternately on the farm and at school. He remained at home until 1868, when he went to Illinois and spent the summer of that year, returning to his native State the ensuing fall, and after a brief visit, proceeded to Iowa where he bought wild land on section 3, of Falls township. He put up buildings as he improved his farm, and had a good frame house and barn which were destroyed by a heavy gale of wind in June, 1882. He rebuilt his house from the ruins, made an addition and again occupied it. Mr. Helm has his land under good cultivation, has set out fruit and shade trees and has an attractive home.

In March, 1867, he became the husband of Lucretia Lewis, of Coles Co., Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Helm have a son and a daughter Lewis C. and Lilian E. Helm.

Levi Helm

[Page 827] Levi Helm, assessor of Falls township, was born March 13, 1848, in Fayette township, LaFayette Co., Wis., and obtained his education in the district schools of his native town. His father was a farmer and the son was instructed in that vocation, and in later years of his minority he traveled with a thresher. At the age of twenty he determined upon the trade of carpenter and joiner, at which he worked eighteen months. In 1872 he came to Iowa and located in Falls township. He rented land on section 15 the first year, and, the year ensuing, leased a considerable tract on sections 20 and 21, during which time he made a purchase of land on section 1, and made a beginning of improving it. In 1874 he raised and harvested his pioneer crop. The next year he built a house which he occupied until February, 1882, when he removed to the Lewis place on section 16, having been appointed administrator of that estate. In addition to the management of a farm, Mr. Helm has worked at his trade to some extent.

He was married Dec. 5, 1871, to Ora L. Mosher, of Green Co., Wis., by whom he has four children Jessie, Charles L., S. Bernice and Roswold X.

William Henderson

[Page 760] William Henderson, residing on section 13, Bath township, was born in Westmoreland Co., Penn., June 17, 1831. When quite young, his parents moved to Harrison Co., Ohio, where they lived on a farm, he receiving a good common school education.

He was married in 1854 to Martha Kelley, a native of Harrison county, and in 1857 they removed to Allamakee county, and were among the early settlers there, buying wild land in Linton township. He built a log house and cleared seventy acres of this land, remaining on it six years, when he engaged in the mercantile business at Rossville, until 1874, when he moved to Cerro Gordo. He is largely engaged in raising grain and stock, giving considerable attention to the raising of sheep, of which he has a large flock.

Andrew Hennis

[Page 865] Andrew Hennis was born in Washington Co , Iowa, Nov. 19, 1858. He was left fatherless when a child and was reared in the family of David Fisher, with whom he came to Cerro Gordo county. March 19, 1878, he married Minerva Booth. They have two children Clarence and Gertrude.

Michael Henry, Sr.

[Page 939] Michael Henry, Sr., is a native of Ireland. He married, and in 1857 emigrated to the United States. He first settled in Rock Co., Wis., where he was engaged in farming until 1869 when he came to Iowa and has since resided in Union township. He has reared eight children, four now living Patrick, Mary, Michael and Thomas.

Thomas Henry

[Page 940] Thomas Henry, the youngest son, was born in Ireland Sept. 25, 1849. He came with his parents to the United States, and with them to Iowa, and is now engaged in farming in Union township. In politics he is a democrat. He has served as township clerk. Religiously, he is a Roman Catholic.

George L. Herrick

[Page 986] George L. Herrick, junior member of the firm of Gloyd & Herrick, was born in Franklin Co., N. Y., Oct. 19, 1841. His parents, L. C. and Lorina (Thayer) Herrick, are residents of Sparta, Wis. Mr. Herrick's business in early manhood was a lumber dealer.

He enlisted in 1861 in the three months' service, in a regiment which on its organization became the 4th Wisconsin. As he did not wish to join that command, he enlisted in the Wisconsin 1st Battery of Light Artillery. The regiment enrolled at Racine and was sent to Louisville, Ky., and finally to New Orleans, when blockade running was in vogue. The battery was engaged in the taking of Arkansas Post and in the siege of Vicksburg. It accompanied the Red River expedition into Texas, under Gen. Smith, returning to New Orleans, where the men were discharged. They were mustered out at Madison, Wis., numbering eighteen men out of 155 who went into the service.

Mr. Herrick was married in 1865 to Emma R. Holcomb, of Addison Co., Vt. They have two children. Mr. Herrick belongs to the order of Masons, Royal Arch Chapter. The business establishment of Gloyd & Herrick is on Commercial street, and is a spacious structure, 22x125 feet, two stories in height, with a basement. A warehouse, 18x26 feet, is attached to the premises. Their stock is a complete assortment of all goods belonging to the trade.

Robert Hickling

[Page 724] Robert Hickling was born in South Lincolnshire, England, July 18, 1831. He came to America in his eighteenth year and went to Ottawa, LaSalle Co., Ill., where he was in the employ of Walker & Hickling as bookkeeper for some years. Here he was married to Deborah S. Pierce, Feb. 27, 1853.

The family of Mr. Hickling consisted of six children, four of whom are now living Eugene, Walter, Isabelle and Ette. On account of poor health they moved from Illinois to Iowa. In November, 1856, they came to Owen's Grove where Mr. Hickling bought a farm of 160 acres. He resided there four years when he purchased a piece of land in Floyd Co., Iowa, where he lived three years and then sold out and moved to Mason City. After coming here he was employed as clerk for three years with J. H. Valentine and also one year with C. H. Day& Brother.

In November, 1864, he was elected clerk of the district court, but after a short time had to resign the office on account of impaired health. He built the first cheese factory in Cerro Gordo county. He has been a citizen of this county for nearly twenty-seven years.

Gardner R. Hickok

[Page 941] Gardner R. Hickok, justice of the peace, was born in Allegany Co., N. Y., Feb. 21, 1834. His parents, Barzilla and Harriet (Wood) Hickok, were both natives of Fairfield Co.. Conn., and in 1839 went with their family to Indiana. The next year they went to Lockport, Ill., where the mother died in 1840. She left eight children, six of whom yet survive Harriet, Mary, Sylvester, Stephen, Gardner and Sarah.

Mr. Hickok and his father went to Sauk Co., Wis., and in 1852 removed to Dubuque Co., Iowa. The father died there in 1873.

The son was married in April, 1857, to Mary Thompson, a native of Ireland, but of Scotch parentage. In 1865 Mr. Hickok enlisted in company A, 46th Iowa, and was in the service four months.

There are six children Samuel, William, George, Frank, Sarah, Robert and Pearl. In politics Mr. Hickok is a

Henry Hill

[Page 760] Henry Hill came to Iowa in 1876, bought land in Bath township, improved and settled upon it, and which is still his home. In 1855 he was married, in Wisconsin, to Juliana Decker, of Erie Co., N. Y., who died ten months after her marriage, and in 1857 he married her sister, Abigail Decker, who has borne him two children Frank W. and Cora J.

Mr. Hill was born Feb. 9, 1835, in Lycoming Co., Penn., and is the son of Daniel and Margaret (Shoner) Hill, who started from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin in a one-horse conveyance. The father died on the way, in Ohio, when Henry was seven years of age. The family went on and joined his brother and two sisters in Wisconsin, where Henry lived till he was married. He bought land and settled in Green Co., Wis., in 1859, sold out, removed to Allamakee Co., Iowa, and bought land and settled in Jefferson township.

In August, 1862, he enlisted in the 27th Iowa Infantry, company A, and went to Minnesota to fight the Indians. In the fall he went south. He served with his regiment until the war closed and was mustered out, Aug. 8, 1865. He was in the battles of the Red River expedition, Fort De Russey, Pleasant Hill, Yellow Bayou, Tupelo, Old Town Creek and Fort Blakely. On his return from the war he resumed farming in Allamakee county, remaining there until 1876 when he came to this county.

James Hill

[Page 890] James Hill, of the firm of Hill Brothers, proprietors of Lincoln Flouring Mills, is a prominent business man and a leading citizen of the township of Lincoln. He was born in Rockland county, N. Y., Jan. 8, 1855, and the same year his father's family emigrated to Whitewater, Wis., where Mr. Hill, Sr., followed the business of a cooper until the year 1862, when he enlisted in the United States service, where he remained until his death, which occurred in the fall of 1864.

The wife and mother then removed with her children to Jefferson Co., Wis., where she lived till her family grew up and commenced life for themselves, when she removed to Rockford, Iowa, remaining there till 1881, when she removed to Clear Lake, this county, where she now lives. Four of her five children are now living Georgiana, now Mrs. William Hill, James, Jacob P. and Susie, now Mrs. Franklin Ayers.

Jacob P. Hill

[Page 889] Jacob P. Hill resided in the State of Wisconsin until 1873, when he came to Floyd Co., Iowa, and followed the cooper business till 1877, when he made the acquaintance of and married Rebecca Hiller. He then, with his wife, removed to Cherokee, Iowa, and engaged in the milling business with P. F. Fassler under the firm name of Hill & Fassler, merchant millers. The same year Mr. Fassler withdrew from the milling business and it was continued then under the firm name of Hiller & Hill, with J. P. Hill manager until 1881, when Mr. Hill sold out and came to this county.

Their two children are Edward Leroy and Nora Zuella.

James Hill, of Hill Brothers, mill proprietors, is son of George and Ann Conklin Hill. He was born in Rockland Co., N. Y., in 1852, and accompanied his father's family to Wisconsin, and in 1870 came to Rockford, Iowa, where he engaged in coopering until that business became unprofitable, when he interested himself in milling, which has since occupied his attention. In 1882, conjointly with his brother, he purchased Lincoln Mills, where he is still engaged in business.

He was married April 23, 1876, to Alma Walker. Their sons are named George and Guy.

Jesse Hill

[Page 911] Jesse Hill, an early settler in Owen township, is a blacksmith by trade and has interspersed the labors of a farmer with those pertaining to that calling, and has made both a success. He was born Dec. 21, 1827, in Licking Co., Ohio. He obtained a fair education and developed in manly strength on the farm until eighteen years of age, when he entered upon his apprenticeship for his trade, at which he served three years. After spending two years as a journeyman, he opened a shop in Hancock county. He operated there two years and in 1851 bought land in Clayton Co., Iowa, where he settled as a pioneer and spent a year improving his property. He then engaged in blacksmithing in Garnavillo, the county seat. In 1855 he decided to go to Minnesota and accordingly made a claim of government land in Eyota township, Olmstead county. He was a pioneer there, and with his characteristic energy pushed the improvements on the place he bought and built a log house. In 1855, associated with his brother, he bought a saw-mill which they managed five years. He sold out and went to Marion, Minn , where he worked at his trade one and a half years. In 1865 he again bought land in Frankville, Winneshiek Co., Iowa, on which he lived four years and in 1869 came to Cerro Gordo county. He purchased land on section 5, of Owen township, where he now resides. His farm includes 440 acres.

In 1849 he was married to Sophia A. Barnum of Hancock Co., Ohio. Mary M., Frank, Simon, Willie and James are the names of Mr. Hill's children.

Leonard Hill

[Pages 896, 898 & 899] Leonard Hill, a native of Putnam Co., N. Y., came from Linn Co., Iowa, in 1860, and settled on section 34, where he tilled the soil until his death, which took place in 1882. His family still reside on the homestead. Leonard Hill settled in Cerro Gordo county in 1860, and was a pioneer not only of this county but of the State, of which he became a resident in 1856. He was born in Putnam Co., N. Y., June 6, 1821. He passed his early life in school and on his father's farm, but when he was seventeen, was thrown upon his own resources by the death of the latter. He went to the city of New York, and served three years learning the trade of a mason. He acted three years in the capacity of foreman with his employer and then came west. He stayed two years in Wisconsin working at his trade, going back to New York at the expiration of that time. He invested his money in a sloop and engaged in the Hudson river traffic. But he had imbibed a strong regard for the west, and in his own words " never saw a train start for the west, without a desire to go." At the expiration of two years he sold his sloop and turned his face toward the setting sun. He settled in Linn Co., Iowa, where he took the contract to build the Western College in that county.

He was married Jan. 15, 1857, to Lorinda Berger, a native of Stark Co., Ohio. The family resided in Linn county until 1859, when they came to Cerro Gordo county. Mr. Hill bought land on section 34, and also on section 3, of Mason township. His first house was built of plank and lined with stone. In this the family lived seven years, then going to Mason City, where Mr. Hill worked at his trade. In 1874 he built a fine two story brick house on section 34, Lime Creek township, and took possession in November of the same year. He died there April 27, 1882.

Mr. Hill's entire life was characterized by industry, energy and perseverance. He left to his family the fruits of a life of thrift, and to his townsmen the record of his honest and upright career. He is survived by his widow and five children Laura, William F., Byron, Kate and Carrie.

Sylvester Hill

[Page 881] Sylvester Hill resides on section 28. He took up his residence here in October, 1877, but purchased the place in the spring of 1875, of George W. Hyde. At the time of the purchase the farm had few improvements. About forty acres had been under the plow, and the house was a small structure of logs. A comfortable and commodious house replaces the primitive abode, 125 fruit trees are in position, and the place now has other valuable improvements, and many others in prospect. Mr. Hill was born in Barford, Stanstead Co., Canada, in 1840. His father, Aaron Hill, was born in New Hampshire, and his mother, Caroline (Goodspeed) Hill, was a native of Vermont. In 1859 Mr. Hill emigrated to Randolph, Columbia Co., Wis. He became a soldier during the last year of the war, and was enlisted in the 51st Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.

In the spring of 1868 he came to Clear Lake, and at once turned his attention to carpentering, and was soon after employed in railroad bridge building.

Mrs. Hill was, in her girlhood, Mary M. Allen. She was born in Vermont. Her parents, Oliver and Orpha Allen, removed to Wisconsin when their daughter was eight years of age, where they passed the remainder of their lives.

Mr. and Mrs. Hill have three children Edgar S., Nina E. and Freddie. Mr. Hill's farm contains eighty acres.

Truman S. Hill

[Page 815] Truman S. Hill was born Oct. 4, 1840, in Boone Co., Ill., where he passed the early years of his life in the pursuits common to the sons of farmers and as a student. In 1865 he came to Cerro Gordo county and was employed two months as assistant in a blacksmith's shop. He then came to Plymouth and worked as a carpenter. In 1870 he opened a wagon shop in the new town of Plymouth, the first business of the kind established there. In 1879 he formed a partnership with T. A. Barnes, which relation still exists. The firm connected cabinet work with wagon making, which they still pursue, and also operate as carpenters and builders.

Mr. Hill was married June 16, 1868, to Ann A. Redington, a popular teacher in the public schools of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Hill rejoice in the possession of two promising sons James M. and Truman H.

William Hill

[Page 952] William Hill bought the farm on which he now lives on section 23, and settled on it in 1880. He owns a fine farm, well improved, rich soil, and well watered by living springs. He was one of the early settlers of Clayton Co., Iowa, having come there from Ohio in 1850. There he took government land near Garnavillo, where his wife died, after which he returned to Ohio. In 1851 he went to California, went into mining, and in company with Thomas Strain, opened a blacksmith shop and supply store in the mountains, in which he continued for three years, then returned to Minnesota and bought government land and settled in Olmstead county, where he remained twelve years, then sold out, came to Iowa and settled in Winneshiek county, eight miles from Decorah, remaining there until 1880, at which time he came to his present home in Cerro Gordo county.

He was born in Muskingum Co., Ohio, Nov. 12, 1823, lived on a farm until he was fourteen years of age, then went to Franklin county and spent three years learning the blacksmith trade; returned to Muskingum county and worked as a journeyman at his trade till 1841, then opened a shop in Hancock county and run that until 1850, when he came to Clayton Co., Iowa.

He was married in 1843 to Catharine Benham, also a native of Ohio. She died in 1850, leaving one child Mary E. He was married the second time, Dec. 16, 1860, to Mary F. Duncan, of Coshocton, Ohio. They have six children Mark W., Andrew J., Fred, Alma, Jessie and Cleora.

T. B. Hobbs

[Page 941] T. B. Hobbs has been, with the exception of a single year, a citizen of Union township since 1875. During the year referred to he managed a restaurant at Clear Lake. He was born in Delaware Co., Iowa, Feb. 4, 1842. His parents, C. W. and Mary E. A. (Wilson) Hobbs, were both natives of Maryland. They settled in Iowa in 1836, and two years later joined the pioneer element of Delaware county. The mother managed the first post office in that county. She died in 1855. The senior Hobbs married a second time, and died in 1878. He was a man of prominence in his township, where he operated in mercantile affairs until 1857. He was elected clerk of the district court of Delaware county, and afterwards United States land receiver when the Government office was located at Osage.

Mr. Hobbs was bred to mercantile life in his father's store. In 1862 he enlisted in company G, 6th Iowa Cavalry, and was in active service forty months. On leaving the army, he interested himself in farming in his native county.

He was married in December, 1867, to Laura E. Lough, and in 1868 went to Madison county. In 1875 he settled in Cerro Gordo county. Mrs. Hobbs died in October, 1873 leaving two children, of whom one is living - Fannie. Mr. Hobbs is a republican and has been the incumbent of the offices of road supervisor, assessor, clerk and school treasurer.

O. F. Hovey

[Page 937] O. F. Hovey was born in Orange Co., Vt., July 1 1, 1825. His parents, were Alfred and Abigail (Howard) Hovey. He was left motherless when twelve years of age, but his father subsequently married Sarah Hendricks! At the age of eighteen years, he went to Shellsburg, Wis., where he was first engaged in staging, then mining and afterwards engaged in farming In 1856 he went to California. While there, he had the misfortune to lose his right hand and have his left badly crippled, by coming in contact with a circular saw which he was operating. In 1858 he returned to Wisconsin, from whence in 1876, he came to Iowa and settled where he now resides.

In 1851 he married Sarah Halstead, daughter of John and Sarah Halstead, and they now have six children Alva F., Alfred E., Eugenia J., now Mrs. Lorenzo Fousler, Clara M , Charles F. and John H. Politically, Mr. Hovey is a republican, and was the first assessor of Pleasant Valley township. His religious connections are with the Baptists.

E. Howard

[Page 879] E. Howard purchased his farm on section 11, of Palmeter Brothers, and took possession in the spring of 1872. He is a minister of the Church of the United Brethren, but in consequence of advanced years and impaired health has retired from active labors. He was formerly connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and assisted in the organization of its first conference in the State of Iowa, about the year 1844.

Mr. Howard was born in the State of New Hampshire, emigrated to Illinois and thence to Iowa. His first wife died in 1840, in Illinois. By this marriage he had four children. The present Mrs. Howard was Merilda Hoyt. She was born in Broome Co., N. Y., and went with her parents to Illinois She has three children. The eldest, Martin Luther, was born in Allamakee Co., Iowa, in 1852; Emma Jane is now Mrs. J. A. Weller, of Toledo, Tama Co., Iowa; Nellie A., is a teacher in Cerro Gordo county.

Thomas & Rosa (Dort) Howard

[876] Mrs. Rosa (Dort) Howard became the wife of Thomas O. Howard in December, 1856. They accompanied Mrs. Howard's parents to Clear Lake. Herself and two children survive the husband and father. A daughter, Nettie L., wife of O. J. Hubbard, resides in Lake township. The son is the namesake of his father.

Mr. Howard was born in Marlow, N. H., Dec. 13, 1832. He was a resident of Keene in that State some years previous to coming to Iowa. He was a carpenter and builder by trade, and, with characteristic energy, identified himself with a new and growing country, and soon became well and widely known and universally esteemed for his manly and noble qualities. He enlisted in August, 1862, in company B, 32d Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and received a mortal wound at the battle of Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, April, 9, 1804, and died two days after at the hospital at that place. The following account of this brave soldier was published in the Sketches of Iowa Soldiers: "Thomas O. Howard, 1st lieutenant of company B, 32d regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, was born in the State of New Hampshire, and was thirty years of age at the time of his death. He was made orderly sergeant on the organization of the company, and upon the death of Lieut. Lane in December, 1862, was promoted to a second lieutenancy, and subsequently was made first lieutenant, which position he held at the time of his death. He served with the regiment on all its marches and campaigns, except in the expedition to Meridian, when he was absent on sick leave. It is said that death loves a shining mark, and the truthfulness of this saying is well illustrated in his death. Lieut. Howard was the idol of his company, and, perhaps, it might in truth be said, of the regiment. Tall, well formed and comely, with a dignified bearing and a winning, open countenance, truthful and honest in all - his dealings, courageous, brave, firm, yet kind and generous, he was every inch a gentleman and a man. As an officer, he had no superior among the officers of his regiment. There was the material in him of which successful generals are made. During the long, weary hours of waiting, preceding the battle of Pleasant Hill, he commanded the skirmishers in front of the right wing of the regiment, and his bearing on that occasion was worthy of all praise."

James Howland

[Page 844] James Howland is one of the first settlers on the village plat of Rockwell, Geneseo township, Cerro Gordo county. He built the first house on the town plat in the fall of 1870. He occupied this house until 1883, when he removed to his farm in Geneseo township.

He was born in Canada West, in 1835, but when a child removed with his parents to Orleans Co., N. Y. His father, William Howland, was a native of New York. When James was ten years of age he removed with his parents to Illinois, remained there till 1868, when he removed to Fairfield township, Fayette Co., Iowa, where he engaged in farming. In 1870 he exchanged his farm in Fayette county for one in Dougherty township, this county, which he improved; built a house, set out a grove, and made other improvements. At one time he owned in that township about 800 acres, all of which he has since disposed of. He owns a farm now of 240 acres in Geneseo township, where he at this time resides.

His wife was Susan Irvine, born in Pennsylvania. They have three children George W., William L. and Charles G.

Wilbur F. Hoyt

[Page 726] In 1861 Wilbur F. Hoyt was elected sheriff. Mr. Hoyt came to Cerro Gordo county at an early day, and began working for Judge Randall on the saw mill at Mason City. He was an honest, pleasant, genialman, and made many firm friends among the pioneers. When the war broke out he enlisted and died in the service. He was married while in Mason City to Martha Temple.

Orrin R. & Orville J. Hubbard

[Page 882] Lakeview Creamery is located on section 16, Lake township, two and a half miles east of Clear Lake village. It was built by Orville J. and Orrin R. Hubbard in 1882. The establishment is furnished with all facilities for first-class products. The cream is collected from the surrounding country for many miles. In 1882, the first season, the product was about 90,000 pounds of butter, and the probable results of the season to come, will greatly exceed that amount. The butter is shipped to New York and commands the highest rates of that market.

The Hubbard Brothers are natives of Otsego Co., N. Y. O. J., the elder, was born in 1851; the second, O. R. Hubbard, in 1854. Caleb N. Hubbard, their father, came to this county in 1867 and settled in Lake township. He died in July, 1877. Their mother is yet living.

Orville J. Hubbard was associated in the mercantile business with J. C. Davis at Clear Lake, from 1875 to 1880. He married Nettie L., daughter of Thomas O. Howard, july, 1876. She was born at Clear Lake in 1858. The children are three in number - Howard C., bron in 1877 Ethel E., born in 1880; and Floy D., born in 1882.

Orrin R. Hubbard marrired Hattie L. Bates, a native of Blue Earth, Minn., July, 1876. They have three children - Vera B., Yeta L. an Merton E.

C. H. Hughes

[Page 638] C. H. Hughes, of the firm of Glass & Hughes, attorneys, came to Mason City in the fall of 1875, and soon after formed his present business relation. He was born in Lee Co., Iowa, Jan. 14, 1851. His parents, H. W. and Anna (Hillis) Hughes, came from Pennsylvania to Lee county in 1840, when Iowa was a territory. There the senior Hughes took up land and improved a farm, where he still resides.

Mr. Hughes, of this sketch, was brought up on his father's farm, and was well educated. In 1872 he began to read law in the office of Judge Beck, of Fort Madison, Iowa, where he remained two years. In 1874 he attended the law department of the Iowa State University and graduated in the class of 1875.

Mr. Hughes was married in the fall of 1877 to Minnie E., daughter of A. B. Tuttle. She was born in Clear Lake township in 1855. They have a son Allen L. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes belong to the Baptist Church.

John M. Hunt

[Page 682] John M. Hunt was the first county superintendent of schools of Cerro Gordo county. He was elected in April, 1858, and served for a few months. Hunt was an early settler and the first county judge of Floyd county. He afterwards moved into Cerro Gordo county and became the first county superintendent. He was a married man and brought his family with him, settling in Falls township. He remained here for a number of years and finally removed to Missouri. He is now in Oregon. He was a thoroughly educated man, refined in manners and genial and pleasant in disposition. Mr. Hunt resigned after serving for a few months and Dr. W. M. Skinner, of Clear Lake, was appointed to fill the vacancy.

Lyman Hunt

[Pages 730-31 & 839] Lyman Hunt settled on section 27, in May, 1858. He was a native of Massachusetts, but came here with his family from Illinois. He died Feb. 11, 1876.

His widow, afterward Mrs. Daniel Losee [Locie on page 731], still lives on section 27. She has several children, one of whom lives in this township on section 27. Her daughter, Mary E. was the first white child born in the township.

Lyman Hunt succeeded Mr. T. B. Wilson as county coroner, by election in the fall of 1861. He settled on the West Fork, in the southeastern part of the county, in 1855. He remained there until the time of his death, a number of years ago.

William Hunt

[Page 937] William Hunt located on section 25, his present home, in 1877. He is a native of England, born Nov. 1, 1848. He emigrated to the United States in 1869, making his home at LaFayette Co., Wis. In February, 1875, he married Maria, daughter of William and Eliza Cook. They at once removed to Iowa, residing at Sheffield until 1877, when they purchased their present farm of 160 acres, which he has well improved and beautified. They are the parents of four children William, John, Ella and George.

Charles H. Huntley

[Page 720] Charles H. Huntley was the next treasurer and recorder, being elected in the fall of 1857. Mr. Huntley came to Cerro Gordo county from Vinton, with his brother, Dr. E. D. Huntley, when a boy, and settled at Mason City. After his term of office expired, he went into mercantile trade with his brother and J. S. Church, and they erected the stone store building now occupied by W A. Crosby.

He married a daughter of Judge Randall's and remained until the fall of 1862, when he went into the army as adjutant of the 32d Iowa Infantry, and was killed at the battle of Pleasant Hill, La. The wife of Mr. Huntley, is now Mrs. Prof. L. L. Huntley, of Mason City.

Charles H. Huntley is remembered as a man of much worth. He left many friends to mourn his loss.

Charles H. Huntley, brother of E. D. Huntley, came in 1856. He afterward married a daughter of Elisha Randall, enlisted in company B, 32d Iowa Infantry, in 1862, and was killed at the battle of Pleasant Hill, in 1864.

Clark Huntley

[Page 773] Clark Huntley is located on section of Clear Lake township, where he has charge of the Messer farm, owned by H. M. Messer, of Milwaukee, Wis. The farm is a fine one, containing 260 acres. Mr. Huntley took the management of the place in 1870, and has since been in charge, with the exception of two years. The bulk of the improvements have been made under his care, including the planting and cultivation of one of the finest groves in the township. In addition to the pursuits common to agriculture, Mr. Huntley is interested somewhat extensively in raising stock.

He was born in Oswego Co., N. Y., in July, 1840. His father died during his early childhood, and about 1849, he was taken with his mother's family to Dodge Co., Wis.

Mrs. Huntley was Alice Joslin before her marriage. The family circle includes five children - Vincent, Clinton, Ida E., Nellie and Mabel.

E. D. Huntley, MD

[Page 646] E. D. Huntley came from New York in the summer of 1855, and located at Mason City, where he lived four years and moved on the southeast quarter of section 16, where he remained until 1870, and then removed to Kansas. During his stay in Cerro Gordo county he served two terms as county clerk, and was also one of the supervisors.

E. D. Huntley In the spring of 1856 Dr. E. D. Huntley came from New York and located at Mason City. He was a graduate of some eastern medical school; an allopath in practice and in every way a good physician. He was a public spirited man, and was popular among all classes. He remained there until 1864, when he went to Kansas and from there to the Indian Territory. His sister-in-law, Mrs. Prof. Huntley, is a resident of Mason City.

John S. Hutchins

[page 853] John S. Hutchins came to Rockwell in 1876. He is one of the firm of Bowe & Hutchins, dealers in farm machinery, also insurance, real estate agents and notary public. The firm was established in 1880.

Mr. Hutchins was born in Winnebago Co., Ill., in 1858. He lost his father when he was seven years of age, and until he was sixteen years of age he lived with a sister in Missouri. When he came to Rockwell his mother, Mrs. Loomis Benjamin, was living here. She died in February, 1880, and Mr. Benjamin died in 1878. John S. Hutchins followed teaching for a number of years, mostly in Franklin county, and in the meantime attended the Iowa State University, where he was a student about two years. Mr. Hutchins is a brother of Dr. J. H. Hutchins, of Hampton.

His wife was formerly Mary R. Ashman, born in Franklin Co., Iowa.

 

 

  • Return to 1883 Biography Index Page

  • Return to Cerro Gordo Biography Index Page

  • Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page

  •  


    © Copyright 1996-
    Cerro Gordo Co. IAGenWeb Project
    All rights Reserved.