Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
Union Publ. Co. Springfield IL. 1883.
"F" Biographies: Fairfield ~ Fullerton
Compiled & Contributed by Susan Steveson
[Page 626] Hon. William B. Fairfield was a native of New York, but came west early in the history of Iowa and settled in Floyd county, where he engaged in the practice of law. He was a man of commanding appearance, with a noble, open countenance, and was a great deal more genial and unreserved than judges usually are. He had a thorough education, was well read and had a complete understanding of his profession, although he was at the same time a man who liked to take matters easy. He resigned his position as judge in 1870, and went into the banking business at Charles City. He is now dead.
[Page 817] Charles Farington, one of the settlers of 1866, is a son of the Empire State, born at Poughkeepsie, Duchess county, Aug. 21, 1817. There he was educated and reared to the occupation of a farmer. At the age of twenty-two he went to Chenango county and bought a farm in the town of Greene, where he remained until 1856, when he disposed of his property and went to Sauk Co., Wis.
In 1866 he made another change to Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa, where he purchased land on sections 26 and 35. He built his house on the latter in a natural grove near the Shell Rock river, the site of Rock river, the site of his present residence. He was married in September, 1835, to Ellen Hoffman, of Duchess Co., N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Farington rejoice in the possession of six promising children — Elmira, Melissa, Charles W., Catharine M., Theodore and Commodore. The two last named are twins.
[Page 959] Daniel J. Farrell was born in Nova Scotia, Sept. 27, 1843. His parents were William and Catharine (Walsh) Farrell. When he was fifteen years of age his parents emigrated to New York, where Daniel learned the tinsmith trade, but abandoned it and took up that of a stone mason.
He came to Cedar Falls, Iowa, in 1864, but the same fall removed to Mason City, where he embarked in the stone and lime business. In June, 1871, he was married to Eliza Powers, by Father Feely. She was a daughter of William Powers. By this union there is a family of three children — Mary, William and Daniel.
Mr. Farrell has been identified with Cerro Gordo county for many years, and has seen the gradual development of the surrounding country, from its wilderness like state to a country made beautiful by its well tilled farms, schools and church edifices.
[Page 987] John A. Farrell was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Jan. 5, 1846. When thirteen years old he emigrated with his parents to Brooklyn, N. Y., when he commenced to learn the trade of tinner. He was also employed as a clerk in a wholesale store.
In 1867 he came to Mason City, where he embarked in the tin business, in company with J. H. Valentine. He was subsequently employed as mail agent on the C. M. & St. P. Railroad, running between McGregor and Canton, Dak., which occupation he he followed for ten years. He is at present engaged in the hardware business, in Mason City, and by close attention to business has built up a good lucrative trade.
In March, 1875, he was married to Miss M. J. Watson, a daughter of Joseph Watson, a native of England. One child blesses this union — Vincent A.
[Page 845] Thomas Federspiel was born in Switzerland, in 1842, and settled in Geneseo township, where he now lives, in 1872. He brought his farm of 160 acres from Annie Goodrich, of Indiana. His farm is located on section 6, and he has made valuable improvements, among which is a very fine grove of soft maple and willow about his house. He was twenty-five years of age when he came to America. He first settled in Dubuque Co., Iowa, and resided there until 1872, when he came to this country. There were no improvements on his farm here when he bought it, and the house which he built in 1872 was destroyed by the tornado of June 1, 1878. Not only was his property destroyed by this cyclone, but his little four-year old daughter, Rosa, was instantly killed; his oldest child, Kunie, had her leg broken, and his wife also was considerably injured. His house, a frame building 16X24 feet, was carried from its foundation to a distance of eight rods, and then dashed to ruins. He rebuilt his house the same season.
He married Annie Behr, who was born in Dubuque Co., Iowa, and they have three children — Kunie, Georgia and Modesta.
[Page 918] A. S. Felt, whose connection with the founding and establishing of the village of Portland is elsewhere recorded, made his entry into Cerro Gordo county June 7, 1855. At that date he purchased the southeast quarter of section 18, in township 96, range 19, and entered at once into possession of his property, thus becoming the second settler within the limits of what is now known as Portland township. Mr. Felt, with little delay, added to his landed interests and, during the years of 1856 and 1857 he held over 1,000 acres. His home - stead estate now includes 365 acres of land, to which is given the name of the Portland Stock Farm. The property is admirably located, and is watered by Lime creek and numerous flowing springs. The farm and fixtures represent a cash estimate of at least $15,000. Mr. Felt received the school training common to farmer's sons in the section where he was reared, but his business experience and contact with the world at large, have supplemented the rather meagre intellectual culture of his boyhood, in a manner that fully supplies whatever he lacked in that respect. He attained to man's estate on his father's farm, and, when life opened before him with its vested responsibilities, he turned his face toward the Far West. After a brief stay at Chicago and Bloomington, Illinois, he came to Iowa and located as above stated.
He was married Dec. 1, 1857, at Osage, Iowa, to Mary L. Whitaker, a native of Orange Co., N. Y. Benjamin F., Susan E., Frank S., Lillie D., Charles H., Nettie, Maude, Arthur A., Clarence C. and Harry are the names of their nine children. Mr. Felt has always been an adherent of the democratic party, but during the civil war was an inflexible sustainer of the integrity of the Union. He has discharged his obligations as a citizen in a manner consonant with the whole tenor of his life.
He was born in Lebanon, Madison Co., N.Y., Dec. 1, 1833. His father, Horace Felt, was born in Lebanon, N.Y., Aug. 19, 1795, and died in the same house where he was born, Nov. 2, 1851. Mrs. Felt, the mother, (Susan Maria Weaver before her marriage), was born in Stonington, Conn., Jan. 22, 1798, and died in Providence, R. I., July 27, 1873. Their family included besides Mr. Felt of this sketch, eight children, six of whom are yet living — William J., George J., Polly A., John J., Cynthia A. and James H.
[Page 917] The second family which settled in the township was that of William Felt, who came in October, 1855, and took up land on section 19. The family lived in Mason township until August, 1856, by which time Mr. Felt had a cabin built and ready for occupancy. Mr. Felt was still living on the place in 1883.
William Felt, eldest son of Horace and Susan M. Felt, was born in Lebanon, Madison Co., N. Y., Feb 10, 1822. He has been married twice. His first wife, Rachel (Conover) Felt, to whom he was married Dec. 19, 1844, died in 1848, leaving a daughter, now Mrs. T. J. Turnure. His second marriage occurred in 1850. Mr. and Mrs. Felt, formerly Sarah M. Lee have reared seven children — Ann Eliza, (Mrs. Henry Walden), Mary Jane, (died at eighteen years of age), Jay H., Samuel, Imogene, Rosa and Horace.
In 1855 Mr. Felt settled in Iowa, and is a prominent member of the pioneer element that established the prestige of Cerro Gordo county, and especially of the township of Portland. He was a resident in the township of Mason one winter, while preparing a suitable home for his family on his own land. He has experienced all the peculiar privations of pioneer life. In politics Mr. Felt is a democrat.
[Page 845] Among the representative business men of Cerro Gordo county is George H. Felthous, a native of Dubuque Co., Iowa, who located here in the summer of 1871, a few months after the village of Rockwell was laid out. He came to Geneseo township first in the spring of 1860 and bought a farm of 280 acres on sections 17 and 19, improved the land the following season and took up his residence in Rockwell in 1871. He has been prominently identified with the town since its commencement. In 1871 he built the warehouse which is now attached to and forms a part of his elevator, the latter of which he built in 1875, which, with the warehouse, has a capacity of 15,000 bushels. He engaged in the grain business immediately after locating here and continued the same until the fall of 1882, when he was succeeded by his brothers, J. A. and J. C. Felthous. In 1872 he built a dwelling house on the corner of A and Third streets, and the same year he sold the farm he first bought and purchased another on section 11. In 1883 he built the finest dwelling in the town, at that date, located on A and Fifth streets. He has retired for the present from the grain business, but is actively engaged in other branches of trade. He is highly esteemed as a good business man and an excellent citizen.
He was born in Dubuque Co., Iowa, in 1848. His parents John H. and R. C. Felthous, were natives of Germany and settled in Dubuque county at an early day. His father died in 1869, and the mother lives with her children in Rockwell.
Mr. Felthous married Lucretia M. Lyman, born in Pennsylvania. She is the oldest daughter of George E. and Sarah E. Lyman, who reside near Rockwell.
[Page 845] J. A. Felthous came here in 1871, and worked for his brother in the grain business for a number of years before he went into business for himself. He is the hardware and grain dealer in Rockwell, having succeeded E. P. Nyre, in September, 1877. He has a complete stock of goods. In 1878 he erected a new store building, the main part being 22x50 feet, two stories high, with basement the same height as the upper rooms. The floors are connected by elevators and the store is conveniently arranged. An addition to the main building is used for a tin shop. The entire cost of building was about $2,000. J. A. Felthous and his brother, J. C. Felthous, are also engaged in the grain and coal trade, under the firm name of Felthous Bros., successors of their brother, George H. They are energetic young men and possess that business tact which means success.
J. A. Felthous was born in Dubuque county, in 1855. His wife is Elizabeth M., daughter of George B. Rockwell. His brother, J. C. Felthous, of this firm was also born in Dubuque county, in 1859.
[Page 887] James Ferrier is a native of Scotland, born May 1, 1826, and growing to manhood among the lochs and mountains of Auld Scotia. He was married in 1847 to Joanna Lumsdale, and eight years later turned his face to the new world, reaching the United States in 1855. His first tarry was in Columbia Co., Wis., going thence to Dodge county, in that State, and from thereto Iowa. In the spring of 1866 he purchased 200 acres of land in Lincoln township, on section 15, where he took up his residence the same fall. He now owns 440 acres of land in first class condition.
Mr. and Mrs. Ferrier have been the parents of ten children, and have eight now living — Catharine, Joanna, Jane, William, Ellen, James, George and Martha. Mr. Ferrier is a Presbyterian in his religious sentiments. He has identified himself with the republican party, and held the various township and school offices.
[Page 865] Homer E. Fisher, son of William Fisher, was born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., Dec. 20. 1837. He removed with the family to Wisconsin, where, in July, 1865, he married Lucy E. Thompson, daughter of E. O. Thompson. He came to Cerro Gordo county and settled where he now lives in 1866. He owns 160 acres of well improved land.
The children are — Lillian S. and Hattie May. In politics Mr. Fisher is a republican.
[Page 867] Horace W. Fisher, son of William Fisher, was born in Oswego Co., N. Y., Oct, 30, 1843. He was a resident of Sheboygan, Wis., some years, whither he accompanied his parents. In 1866 he came to Iowa and fixed his residence at Charles City. In 1873 he came to Cerro Gordo county, and now owns 160 acres of land with valuable improvements on section 28, of Grant township.
He was married in March, 1878, to Hila, daughter of George Hayes. Mr. and Mrs. Fisher have two children — Cora May and Ida Mabel. Mr. Fisher is a republican and active in local politics. He has held several township offices.
[Page 904-05] Mrs. Sarah Fisher (sic), daughter of John H. and Rebecca (Cross) Vandermark, was born in Tompkins Co., N. Y., Jan. 17, 1817. She was married May 2, 1836, to J. B. Nickerson, a native of the Old Bay State, born near Boston. He was a machinist by trade, and settled at Owego, N. Y., where he opened a machine shop in 1839. He afterwards went to Chicago, which was at that time but a small place. In 1854 they went to Danby, DuPage county, where Mr. Nickerson died of cholera, July 4 of the same year.
Mrs. Nickerson was married in 1856 to Daniel Fish, a farmer near Danby. After a residence there of nearly eight years they went to Wheaton, where Mr. Fish died in 1873, leaving one son — Daniel, Mrs. Fish had four children by her first marriage. William Henry died of cholera at Danby three days before his father. Robert C. died in Chicago in his fifteenth year.
James D. was born in Chicago, where he obtained a good education in the public schools. He was graduated from Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College, and enlisted in the 141st Illinois Infantry, and afterward re-enlisted in the 9th Illinois Cavalry. He lost his health and set out to travel. He has been absent sixteen years and the family have had no intelligence from him in fourteen years.
George Albert, youngest son, died at the age of twenty-two months.
Mrs. Fish owns a residence in Wheaton, Ill., which she left in 1883 to reside in Lime Creek township where she has a farm, managed by her son Daniel, who was born May 8, 1858, at Danby, Ill.
[Page 864] William Fisher was born in the State of New Hampshire, May 18, 1808. His parents are Israel and Cuziah (Blood) Fisher. In 1817 the family emigrated to New York State. Here Mr. Fisher was reared on a farm.
In 1834 he married Pleopa Horton. In 1844 he emigrated to Sheboygan, Wis., afterwards to Fond du Lac county, and followed farming principally. He also worked at the carpenter's trade. His wife died in Wisconsin, leaving four children — Homer E., Hayden, deceased; Horace W. and Frank J.
He came to Iowa in 1874 and now resides with his sons.
In November, 1869, Miss Fitch came to Cerro Gordo county, being at that time fourteen years old. In 1875 she was appointed deputy clerk of courts, her brother-in-law, M. S. Schermerhorn being clerk at that time. For five years she acted in the capacity of deputy clerk, when she was chosen bookkeeper in the City Bank.
In the fall of 1882, as stated, she was elected recorder, which office she now fills. Miss Fitch is a lady of academic education, and is highly esteemed in all circles.
[Page 633] Hon. Edwin Flint settled at Mason City in 1869, when he entered into a partnership with B. F. Hartshorn, forming the law firm of Hartshorn & Flint. He was born in Braintree, Orange Co., Vt., on the 25th of May, 1814. He is son of Phineas and Abigail (Weld) Flint, of Vermont, who were the parents of seven children, five of whom are still living. His father was a farmer and died in 1826. His mother died in Mason City, in 1874. Mr. Flint remained on his father's farm until he was thirteen years old, and the following year he went to Windsor, where he passed a year in the office of the Vermont Cronicle. He went thence to Burlington, where he was employed by Chauncey Goodrich, a book publisher of that city. He there prepared for college, paying his way in the printing office. He was matriculated at the Vermont University at Burlington, in 1833, and was graduated in 1836. Soon after that event he went south and became a teacher in Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee. In 1840 he was admitted to the bar at La Fayette, Ind., and, after a brief time, went to Jackson, Mich., where he began the practice of his profession, remaining there until 1841, when he became impaired in health and returned south. In 1848 he went to Fond Du Lac, Wis., and entered fully into the practice of law. He went to La Crosse in 1851, and in 1852 was elected district attorney, and in the same year chairman of the board of supervisors. In 1861 he was elected State Senator from the La Crosse district. In 1862 he was elected circuit judge of the sixth judicial district of Wisconsin, which post he filled with honor six years. In 1876 he retired from the practice of the law.
In 1868 he exchanged his property in Polo for land on section 10, in Falls township, Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa, and in 1870 moved here with his family. He drew lumber from Nora Springs to build his house, and applied his energies to improving his farm. In February, 1883, he rented his place and and moved to Plymouth, where he owns the finest residence in the village.
His family consists of his wife, (formerly Katie Nolan, of Carlow Co., Ireland), and three children — Harriet E., Katie A. and Lulie J. Helen M., the oldest child, died when twenty-three months old. Mary A., Ellen, Thomas M. and Annie died in infancy.
[Page 755] John Florence, one of the oldest settlers in the neighborhood of Mason City, died at that place in October, 1879. John Florence was born in Virginia, May 4, 1790. He lived in that state when the war of 1812 began, and entered the service. He was at Washington when the British burned the Capitol building and National records. He served through the war as a faithful and brave soldier, and after its close married Ellen Wells, with whom he lived for over fifty years, and who bore him seven children. About 1830 he moved to Ohio, where he remained for a few years and then went to Indiana. From there he moved to Illinois, and, in 1851, with his family, came to Iowa and settled in Bellevue, Jackson county.
In 1856 he came Mason City and remained here until the time of his death. He was nearly ninety years old when he died.
[Page 839] George W. Folsom, now a resident of Rockwell, came to Franklin Co., Iowa, June 7, 1860, buying unimproved land on section 5, Ingham, now known as West Fork township, which he made his home and improved well until 1882, when he removed to the village. He is the son of Joseph Folsom, a native of New Hampshire, who moved to, and was one of the early settlers of Ogle Co., Ill , where George was born in 1838. The family removed to Winnebago county, where the father died, aged eighty-one years. Mrs. Folsom, nee Benjamin, is the daughter of Rev. Loomis Benjamin, a pioneer preacher of Cerro Gordo county. They have five children - Elva, Mina, Lucas G., Jessie L. and Wilbert B. Their eldest child, Elvira, died in infancy.
[Page 959] Wm. H. Foster was born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., Nov. 1, 1838. He is the son of Ransom and Lydia (Coffin) Foster. In 1853 the family emigrated to Ogle Co., Ill., where Mr. Foster engaged in farming. In 1869 he came to Mason City.
William was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. In March, 1862, he enlisted in the 65th regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, company A, and participated in the engagement of Martinsburg and Harper Ferry, when he was taken prisoner but soon afterwards was paroled and sent to Chicago, where he was exchanged Jan. 14, 1863, when he again joined his regiment in Kentucky, and participated in the siege of Knoxville. In April, 1864, he re-enlisted, received a thirty days furlough and afterward joined General Sherman's command near Atlanta. They were left to look after Hood while Sherman went to the sea. He was mustered out in July, 1865, at Greensborough, N. C.
After leaving the army he returned to Ogle county. In 1869 he came to Mason City, where he has since resided He was married, in 1867, at Dixon, Ill., to Anna Freer, by whom he has had five children — William H., Samuel S., Lydia A. and Theodore. Mr. Foster is a member of the G. A. R.
[Pages 810, 813, 829] George Frederick, a pioneer farmer, settled in Falls township in July, 1855. He entered land in Rock Grove in the spring of that year, after which he returned to Wisconsin, coming back as stated. He was unmarried, and, in company with a Mr. Tenney, both coming from Kenosha Co., Wis., he operated his own domestic affairs until fall, when he changed his condition to the married state. His wife was Arvilla Campbell, the daughter of Robert and Amanda Campbell, and theirs was the first marriage in the township. The ceremonies took place in their cabin Nov. 19, 1855.
In the autumn of 1855 Mr. Frederick purchased land on section 5, of which he took possession the following spring, occupying a log house until 1870, when he built the frame house his family now occupy. He owns 172 acres of well wooded and watered land.
There are eight children belonging to the household — Amzie, Ella, Leslie, Mary, George, Charlie, Belle and Orlin.
Mr. Frederick was born in Germany, June 25, 1825, where he was trained to agricultural pursuits, and educated in the public schools. He came to America in 1850, landed at New York, and proceeded to Tarrytown. He was employed two months on a farm, and then went to Kenosha Co., Wis., where he followed farming for a livelihood until 1855, when he became a citizen of Iowa.
[Page 813] Jacob Frederick was born in Germany, Aug. 17, 1836. He was a farmer's son and attended school until he was sixteen years old, when, fixing upon the trade of a wagon maker as a vocation, he apprenticed himself and worked at the business until 1857 in his native land. In that year he came to America, landed at New York and spent nearly a year there, working a part of the time at carriage painting.
In 1858 he came to Iowa and settled in Cerro Gordo county. He opened a wagon shop at Plymouth where he transacted his business two years, when the shop with its contents was burned, entailing a loss of $500. He then turned his attention to farming, entered land and engaged in stock raising. In 1866 he purchased a farm lying on sections 7 and 8 and built a house. He is still engaged in raising stock and exhibits some fine blooded specimens.
He was married in 1868 to Adele Alden, a New York lady by birth, by whom he has four children — Lewis E., Ida M., Carl V. and Ada Belle.
[Page 878] James D. Freeman settled in Cerro Gordo county in June, 1871. He purchased forty acres of virgin prairie, erected a good house and set out shade trees, which gives the place an appearance of having been much longer occupied. He has added forty acres to his original purchase.
Mr. Freeman was born in Plainfield, Vt., July 19, 1827. His parents, Nathan and Esther (Converse) Freeman, were both of New England origin. He was the youngest of six children, and, at thirteen, he found himself comparatively homeless. His brothers and sisters were married, and his mother being in a hopeless state from consumption, the home was broken up, and James went to Lowell, Mass., finding employment in a cotton mill as extra hand. In nine months he had secured the confidence of the owners and an expert knowledge of the machinery, and was put in the position of assistant overseer of several hands, and also attended to card grinding. He operated in this manner nine successive years. He then went to Manchester, N. H. and assisted in the opening of a new cotton mill, where he remained two years.
He was married in that city, in the fall of 1849, to Martha Straw. He had an illness of several months duration in 1851, and left his position. In the fall of that year he returned to Vermont. A year later he went back to Lowell, and again entered a cotton mill.
In 1853 his wife died, leaving a son - Le Roy A., and in 1854 Mr. Freeman was married to Maria L. Vose. He then removed to Milwaukee, Wis., and followed the vocation of painter. In 1855 he went to Columbus, Wis. Later he took his family in a prairie schooner and set out for Chatfield, Minn., where he followed his trade.
When his country called for the aid of her faithful sons, Mr. Freeman responded, and in 1862 enlisted in company D, 8th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, serving three years. His regiment was on the frontiers of Dakota one year, where it did good service defending the territory from Indian depredations. Mr. Freeman was in action at Murfreesboro and other important battles. As a result of exposure incident to a soldier's career, his eyes were seriously injured and he was discharged and sent to Chicago for treatment, after which he went to Springfield, Mass., where his family had gone.
He again obtained employment in a cotton mill at Holyoke, and acted as a third overseer. At the end of six months he was tendered the position of second overseer, but was obliged to leave the mill from failing eye-sight. He then went to Waverly, Bremer county, where he became totally blind. After a year of darkness he partly recovered sight and can now read with the aid of magnifying lenses. He next removed to his present home.
By his second marriage, Mr. Freeman had nine children, five of whom died of diptheria while he was in the service. Those remaining are - Gilman, Frank, Leon and Myron. Mr. Freeman belongs to the G. A. R., and in religious belief is a Congregationalist. He is a republican in politics.
[Page 890] Thomas H. French was born in England, July 16, 1851. His parents, Thomas A. and Susanna (Pitman) French, came to America in 1855, and after a stay of one year in the city of New York, went to Rock Co., Wis., and afterward to LaFayette county, in that State. The mother died in August, 1863. Five children reached maturity — Henriette, Thomas H., Mary Ann, Martha and Florence. The father died in Texas.
Thomas H. French was reared a farmer, and remained a resident of Wisconsin until 1875, the date of his settlement in Lincoln township, Iowa. He pursues the vocation to which he was trained, and has a valuable farm of eighty acres, located on section 16, of this township, and under good improvements.
He was married in 1878 to Ella, daughter of Ross and Ellen (Bentley) Whitman. Leroy, Claude and Luella, are the names of the children of this household. Mr. French is a republican.
[Page 920] Benjamin Frost settled on section 27, Portland township, in 1861, purchased about 500 acres and cultivated the same until 1871, when he rented his land and removed to Kansas. In 1874 he returned and again had charge of his farm until 1882. He now resides in Wilson Co., Kan.
He was born in 1814 in Massachusetts, where he lived with his parents until he was seventeen years of age, then for several years was engaged in the lead mines in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa. In 1845, in Dubuque Co., Iowa, he married Elizabeth Filbric, and then engaged in farming in the same county, until he came to Cerro Gordo. They have had three children, two now living — William F. and Benjamin T.
[Page 766] Benjamin H. Frost resides on section 2, and has resided in Cerro Gordo county since the fall of 1860. He was born in Vermont in 1816, where he lived until about thirty years of age.
He was married in Vermont to Amanda L. Hamilton. They were both born in the same town, the latter in 1827. They removed from Vermont to St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., in 1843, where they lived for several years. They came to Scott Co., Iowa, in 1847, thence to Floyd county, in 1860, and here, as stated, in 1862, and settled where he now lives several years later.
Mr. Frost has seven children. Chauncy, the eldest son, enlisted in 1863, in the 32d Iowa Volunteer Infantry, where he served nearly two years. He joined that regiment as a recruit, and when the regiment was discharged at the expiration of its term of service, he was transferred to the 8th Infantry, and served the balance of his term of three years enlistment. He now resides with his father; married Sarah Martin; they have three children.
[Pages 643 & 674] George E. Frost, a prominent pioneer of Clear Lake, was born at Bridport, Addison Co., Vt., April 1, 1834. His parents, Levi and Mary E. Frost, removed to Canton, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., when George was but three years old, and there he grew to manhood, the only child who survived to maturity. In 1854 the senior Frost removed again with his family to DeKalb Co., Ill., and thence to a farm in Marble Rock, Floyd Co., Iowa, where Mr. Frost was engaged in agriculture and surveying.
In 1860 the family came to Clear Lake, where the father died in 1870 and the mother in 1871. Soon after his arrival at Clear Lake, Mr. Frost was appointed surveyor of Cerro Gordo county, and held the position five years. He exchanged his farm in Floyd county for a quarter section in Grant township, eventually owning 1400 acres there, 320 of which he still holds. He has dealt extensively in land since his settlement, and is now the owner of nearly 2,000 acres in the county. One fine farm in his possession lies just north of the village.
In 1870 he purchased the Clear Lake Observer, which he sold in 1874 to Hon. M. P. Rosecrans. On the discontinuation of the paper by the latter, Mr. Frost purchased a new press and revived its publication. He sold it in 1879 to F. J. Bush, who gave it the name of Clear Lake Mirror. In 1880 Mr. Frost established the Clear Lake Record, which he still publishes. He also manages a real estate office which he initiated in 1861. From 1865 to 1873 Mr. Frost acted as revenue collector. In 1874, associated with Marcus Tuttle, he instituted the Clear Lake Bank, his partner remaining a single year. In 1877 he sold the interests the interests of the bank to W. A. Burnap, re-purchasing in 1880. In 1868-9 he was county judge of Cerro Gordo, serving also as county auditor, and was consequently last county judge and first county auditor of Cerro Gordo. From 1862 to 1877 he acted as postmaster at Clear Lake, with the exception of two short intervals.
Mr. Frost is a man of indomitable mental activity and energetic business habits, which he has applied to the progress of the place and generation in which he lives.
His wife was Azubah, daughter of Thomas Duncan. The latter came from McHenry Co., Ill., to Clear Lake, where he died in 1871. Mr. and Mrs. Frost have three children - Agnes, Mary and George E., Jr.
[Page 920] William F. Frost came with his parents to Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa, in 1861, and has since been a resident of Portland township, with the exception of three years spent in Kansas. He was born in Dubuque Co., Iowa, Dec, 12, 1846.
On the 23rd of May, 1868, he was married to Sarah J. Frost, a daughter of Frederick and Adaline Frost. By this marriage they have three children — Eva E., Florence D. and Frank E.
[Page 887] C. W. Fuller is fully entitled to be enrolled among the prominent and worthy citizens of Cerro Gordo county. He has received the best evidence of the confidence of his townsmen in their support for local offices, has fought for the integrity of his country's flag, and made a meritorious record as a citizen.
He was born in Allegany Co., N. Y., July 13, 1841, where he attained his majority on a farm. In 1861 he went to Columbia Co., Wis., returning to his native State in the fall of 1863. He enlisted in January, 1864, in company F, 4th New York Heavy Artillery, which command was attached to the Army of the Potomac from the battle of the Wilderness to the surrender of Lee. On the mustering out of his regiment he returned to Wisconsin.
He was married in 1866 to Marion, daughter of Gideon and Rachel Aldrich. He moved to Iowa and located on their present home in the spring of 1867. They have two children - Walter E. and Leslie C. Fuller. Mr. Fuller is a republican in politics, and owns a farm of 160 acres of fine land on sections 17 and 21.
[Page 757] George O. Fuller is the oldest living settler in Bath township. He was born in Andover, Merrimac Co., N. H., April 18, 1834. He had good school advantages, attending Highland Lake Institute, at East Andover. He then engaged with a number of bridge builders, working on the Northern New Hampshire Railroad, and continued in their employ seven years.
He was married, Jan. 13, 1857, to Louisa A. Brown, and remained in Andover till 1859, then moved to Bureau Co., Ill., renting a farm until 1866, when he removed to Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa, buying wild land on section 16, now known as Bath township, which he has well improved and beautified with fruit, shade and ornamental trees. They are the parents of four children — Charles D., Eva J. Cora B. and Georgia May. Mr. Fuller is a prominent man in home affairs, and has held offices of trust in the township.
[Page 913] Neil Fullerton, son of James and Janet (Muschie) Fullerton, was born in Inverness, province of Quebec, Canada, Dec. 10, 1831. His parents, natives of Scotland, settled at that place years previous to his birth. When he was fourteen years old his mother died and two years after he went to Coos Co., N. H., and was bound out to a farmer to serve until he was twenty-one years of age. He redeemed his obligation and received $100 as had been stipulated, when he returned to Canada. A year later he went to Hillsboro Co., N. H., and engaged in farming one summer, and the following winter worked as lumberman. In the spring of 1856 he bought a team and engaged in supplying milk in the city of Manchester.
In April, 1857, he was married to Mary Kerr, who was also a native of Inverness. About that date he bought a farm in the town of Bedford. The next year he sold the milk route and devoted his attention and energies to farming, remaining thus employed until 1863, when he sold his farm and bought government timber land in Canada. He took possession of his purchase, made a bee, and in one day the logs were cut for a house, 16x18 feet, and the house built. He cleared forty-five acres of the primeval forest and remained a resident until 1871.
In that year he settled in Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa. Until 1876 he rented land in Portland township, when he purchased the southeast quarter of section 25, in Owen township Since that date he has rebuilt the house, erected a barn and made valuable improvements on the land. Mr. Fullerton has occupied a number of offices of trust, and is a member of the board of trustees. In 1867 himself and wife joined the Presbyterian Church, and are now communicants of the Congregational Church, at Rockford, there being no society of the denomination to which they originally belonged in the vicinity.
They have nine children — John K., James E., Charles A., Peter G., Neil A. Robert, Angus M., Henry J. and Nettie.
Return to 1883 Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page