Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
Union Publ. Co. Springfield IL. 1883.
"C" Biographies: Callam ~ Cummings
Compiled & Contributed by Susan Steveson
[Page 766] Michael Callam, Jr., came to Clear Lake township in 1855. He was born in Ireland in 1839, and becoming a resident of the State at fifteen years of age, has literally grown up with the country. He has seen Cerro Gordo county advance from its almost primitive condition to a prominent rank among the counties of Iowa. He owns a farm of 180 acres on section 21, where he resides; he also owns eighty acres in Union township and is classed among the most intelligent and prosperous farmers of the township of Clear Lake. His wife, Mary Gray, of Linn Co., Iowa, was probably the first white child - born in the town of Marion. Mr. and Mrs. Callam have five sons and four daughters. Michael Callam, Sr., was born in Ireland in 1803, and came to America in 1842, settling in Canada where he lived about five years. He went to Illinois and settled near Rockford, and about 1852 he purchased a farm at Pilot Grove, near Independence, in Buchanan county, and removed his family there. In the spring of 1854 he made a claim on section 26, in Clear Lake township, Cerro Gordo county, where he has since resided. His children are — Mary (Mrs. Kennedy), John, Martin, Michael, Jr., James, Charles and Joseph.
[Page 819] Henry Calvert, a trustee of Falls township,
was born May 26, 1841, in Iowa Co.,
Wis. He was a farmer's son, and in the
early years of his life, his time was passed
similarly to other boys. He obtained a liberal
education at the district schools. He
resided with his parents until 1861, when
he went to Nevada He mined for gold
two years in Nevada, and then went to
California, where he was for a time
interested in mining, and then engaged as
superintendent of a stock farm. In 1869
he retraced his steps to Wisconsin, making
a brief stay and then came to Iowa.
He located in Falls township, where he
bought wild, unimproved land on section
24. In 1871 he erected a fine frame building,
which was destroyed by fire only a few
months after its completion, and again in
1878 he had his entire crops of grain, his
stables, threshing machine, horses and
other stock burned up. These circumstances,
which would have discouraged most men,
only excited him to more strenuous
exertions, which have surmounted
all difficulties, and placed him as one of
the solid men of the county, and won for
him the respect and confidence of all his
neighbors. He was married in September,
[Page 819] Simon Calvert was born in Yorkshire, England, Oct. 27, 1836. When he was three years old, his parents emigrated to America and took up their residence in La Fayette Co., Wis. He became a miner when only fourteen years old, which pursuit he followed until 1859 in Wisconsin, and in that year he went to Pike's Peak, where he operated in the mines about one year, going thence to Mexico. He passed a few months there in the silver mines, and proceeded to California, remaining there until 1862, when be went to Nevada and engaged in mining eighteen months near Virginia City. He proceeded to Oregon and Vancouver's Island, going thence up the Frazier river where he passed a summer, returning to New York via Panama. His next remove terminated at Mineral Point, Wis., where he settled on a farm he had previously purchased.
Mr. Calvert was married March 29, 1864, to Martha A. Vickerman, of Yorkshire, England. In 1866 the family moved to Avoca, Iowa county, where they kept a hotel one and a half years. Mr. Calvert sold his property and entered mercantile business in Grant county, where he continued to operate until 1869. July 4, of that year, he came to Mason City, Cerro Gordo county, and soon after purchased a farm on sections 23 and 26, in Falls township, where he now resides and is engaged in stock raising. He owns 370 acres of land.
In the Calvert household are four children — Clydie C., Wilbur B., Osmer T. and Charles L.
[Page 987] W. W. Cameron established his business at Mason City, in 1873, and was the first man to handle grain on the Iowa Central Railroad from this point. In 1882 he built the elevator which he now operates, which has a nominal capacity of 15,000 bushels, and is operated by a twenty-horse power steam engine.
Mr. Cameron was born in Bristol, Ontario Co., N. Y., May 1, 1845. His parents were Peter and Julia (Patterson) Cameron. The mother is first cousin of the celebrated Elizabeth Patterson, of Baltimore, Md., who married Jerome Bonapart. The Cameron family came from Scotland, in 1803, and settled in Steuben Co., N. Y., in a township then not organized, but afterwards named Cameron, after the head of the family. The father and mother were married at Rochester, N.Y., in 1825, and reared a family of five sons and two daughters, all living to rear families. The father was an active man with extensive business relations; was an old line whig, became a republican on the organization of the party and adhered to its fundamental principles until his death.
Mr. Cameron of this sketch was educated at Franklin College, where he graduated in 1861, and immediately enlisted in the 10th regiment of New York Cavalry. He passed through the stormy events of the war at Fredericksburg, and many other points, and at Gettysburg was taken prisoner and incarcerated in Libby prison at Richmond, where he was held seven months before being exchanged. He served the remainder of his period of enlistment at Annapolis, Md., and was mustered out of service at Elmira, N.Y. On his discharge he came to Iowa and located at Independence, Buchanan Co., where he was assistant agent of the D.&S.C. Railroad, two years. He then went to Ackley and under the style of West & Cameron, engaged in banking. This enterprise closed, he went to Grinnell as station agent of the I.C. Railroad, where he remained one year. He came to Mason City in the same employe, in 1872, but established himself in 1873 as stated.
Mr. Cameron was married in 1870 in Ackley, to Martha Freeman. She died in 1873, leaving two sons - Will. W. and Robert B. The present Mrs. Cameron was Anna, daughter of Benjamin Field, of Monroe Co., Iowa. They have three children - Stella, Nellie and Claudie May.
[Page 806] Daniel Campbell, residing on section 20, is a native of Donegal, Ireland, born March 17, 1828, where he made his home until eighteen years of age, when he went to Ayrshire, Scotland, working until 1870, when he emigrated to America to seek a home. He went to Hazelton, Luzerne Co., Penn,. where he worked at the mason trade three years, and in a coal mine one year, when he came to Iowa, buying wild land in West Fork township, Franklin county, which he improved nicely and sold, moving then to Dougherty, where he rented one year, then bought his present farm, upon section 20, upon which he had built a fine residence. He was married in 1853 to Bridget Gallagher, by whom he has had nine children - Francis, Marjie, John, Manus, Ann, James, David, Mary (deceased at six years of age), and Joseph.
[Page 808] Robert Campbell, a native of Columbiana Co., Ohio, came here from Porter Co., Ind., in October 1854, coming over land by teams. He settled on the northwest quarter of section 16, lived in a log house, 14X16 feet, which had split puncheon for the floor and was roofed by shakes. It was here, in this humble abode, that the first white child in this town was born - Delphina Campbell. The first marriage ceremony was also made sacred within this rude cabin home. The family remained in this house three years and then moved to section 17, where they lived until 1874. Mr. Campbell now resides in Mason City.
[Page 631] One of the most prominent and able attorneys who has honored the bar of Cerro Gordo county, as well as northern Iowa, is Hon. Irving W. Card. A few years ago he retired from active practice and is now postmaster at Mason City.
Hon. Irving W. Card is a native of Ohio, born in Deerfield, Portage county, on the 19th of May, 1834. His parents were Silas and Mary (Gibbs) Card. His father was a physician, a very excellent man, who died at Mason City, Iowa, in March 1874. His widow is still living in Mason City.
Until about nineteen years of age, Irving spent most of his time at school, concluding his literary studies in an academy at Lima, Ohio. The family moved to Vinton, Iowa, in the autumn of 1854, and the next spring the son engaged in surveying, removing, however, soon after to Mason City, Cerro Gordo county, where he continued this business. Two years later he went to Charles City, Floyd county, and studied law with G. G. and R. G. Reiniger being admitted to the bar in 1859. He formed a partnership with the Reinigers, and practiced in Charles City until 1861. In February of the next year, Mr. Card returned to Mason City, and there remained. Part of the time in connection with the practice of law he carried on real estate business. The firm of Card & Stanbery, and later that of Card & Miller, were extensive, both in the practice of law and in the land operations. They were far and wide, alike for the extent of their business and their honorable method of transacting it. Owing to ill health, Mr. Card retired from business in 1873, and was subsequently appointed postmaster of Mason City. During the years of 1863 and 1864, Mr. Card was deputy provost marshall for the sixth congressional district, taking charge of the enlisted troops, and looking after deserters. In the latter business he was very expert, making a record well known and remembered in northern Iowa. Mr. Card was elected district attorney for the twelfth judicial district in 1868, and served until just before the close of the four years. On sending his resignation to Gov. Carpenter, he received the following reply, dated at Des Moines on the 31st of August 1872:
Hon. I. W. Card,
With the best of wishes for your
future success and happiness, I am
This letter properly characterizes his official career. In 1870, Mr. Card was a candidate for district judge, and led the convention for 366 ballots and was defeated on the next ballot, by one and three-fifths of a vote, Hon. G. W. Ruddick of Waverly, being the successful candidate. Such a number of ballots for one candidate, is almost unprecedented in the history of American politics. Mr. Card has always been an active republican. In 1872 he was of the delegates at large from Iowa to the republican National convention. He is a mason and has occupied the chair both in the lodge and chapter.
On the 12th of August, 1860, he was married to Jennie C. Jackson, of Charles City. They have had one child, which died in infancy.
Mr. Card was one of the leaders in bringing the Iowa branch of Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad, to Mason City, is a very influential and public spirited man, and has done as much, probably, to build up the home of his adoption, as any resident of the place. His moral character is excellent, and he has the highest respect of his fellow citizens.
[Page 645] Silas Card, M.D., the first practicing physician in Cerro Gordo county, was born at Deerfield, Ohio, in 1810. His parents dying when he was a mere child, he was thrown upon his own resources, but by hard struggling he secured a liberal education. In 1830 he commenced reading medicine in Mahoning, Co., Ohio. He was married to Mary Gidd, at Deerfield, Portage Co., Ohio, and in 1854 emigrated to Benton Co., Iowa, where he remained a short time, then removed to Mason City, where he made his home until his decease in 1874. They were the parents of one son - I. W. Card, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume.
The doctor was for many years postmaster at Mason City, he was a man of intellectual and social worth, and held the respect and esteem of all who knew him.
[Page 861, 866] J[ames]. R. Carr, stock farmer, has resided in Grant township since November, 1870. At that date he purchased eighty acres of land and has since increased his real estate to 320 acres, which is located on section 9. The entire tract was unbroken prairie, but it is now all under good improvements, and is beautified and increased in value by one of the model farm houses of the county.
Mr. Carr was born in McHenry Co., Ill., July 25, 1838. His parents, Darius and Thankful (Spencer) Carr, were both natives of the State of New York. In 1854 the Carr family removed to La Fayette Co., Wis., where the elder Carr engaged in farming.
In 1859 Mr. Carr, of this sketch, was married to Mary Donneough. Her parents, Edward and Mary Donneough, were residents of Ireland and came to the United States when Mrs. Carr was only six years old. Mr. Carr returned to his native county in 1869, and the next year came to Iowa. Of eight children born to Mr. and Mrs. Carr, seven still survive — Edward, William, Ella, George, Etta, Benton, Florence and Lester, born April 29, 1883.
Mr. Carr endorses the principles of the republican party but takes little active interest in politics. He is chiefly interested in his own business and is a successful and extensive dealer in fine stock.
PPage 877] Joseph Case came to Iowa in 1869, making the route overland with his teams and personal property. He was born in the eastern part of the State of New York and when a boy, in 1807, went to Chautauqua county. He died at Clear Lake in September, 1880. Mrs. Case, his widow, resides with her daughter, Mrs. Seabury. She was formerly Patty Fairbanks and was born in Vermont in 1810.
[Page 932] William Cathcart came to Cerro Gordo county, in 1871, subsequently spent two winters in the Wisconsin pineries, and in 1872 bought eighty acres of his present farm, which he has increased to 160 acres, under wood cultivation. He was born in Canada, May 30, 1846, his parents being John and Ann Cathcart, both natives of Ireland. He was reared on a farm, attended the common school, one winter being spent at school in Maine, and for several years followed logging and lumbering.
In the spring of 1873 he married Anna Thompson, a daughter of Judge W. E. Thompson. They have had five children, two of whom are living — John W. and William D.
Mr. Cathcart is a republican, is now a township treasurer, and a member of the M. E. Church.
[Page 711] John Chapin resides on the south half of the northeast quarter of section 2, Clear Lake township. He was born in 1833 in the town of Otselic, Chenango Co., N. Y. He reached manhood's estate in his native State, and went afterward with his father to La Crosse Co., Wis. The latter purchased the farm now occupied by his son in the spring of 1871, of Isaac Pizer. The senior Chapin died in 1876. Mrs. Chapin was Sarah James, of Ohio. Her father was an early settler of La Crosse, Wis., where he died. Mr. and Mrs. Chapin have six children — Charles A., William, Frank, Bertha, George and Albert. The homestead includes eighty-five acres of land under good improvements.
[Page 661] Mr. Leo Chapman, editor and proprietor of the Mason City Republican, was born in Valparaiso, Ind., Feb. 5, 1857, and while still a babe his family removed to Windsor, Ill., where he lived till after the war, when the family were driven back to Indiana by ultra northern rebelism on account of the father's participation in the Union service. In July, 1870, the family removed west to Iowa, locating at Marshalltown. When the following spring arrived Leo, by this time quite a boy, was sent with the family to break out a new farm near Edenville, Marshall county, while the father worked at his trade in Marshalltown.
At the age of twenty-one our subject entered upon an apprenticeship in the office of the Iowa State Register, at Des Moines, and continued to work and study in that capacity, occasionally doing reportorial work, until the proprietors took him from mechanical work, and installed him local editor of that great paper. He remained in this position until the convention of the nineteenth General Assembly of Iowa, when he was made press reporter for the Legislature in the house, and as a mark of appreciation for his services here, the members of that body on adjourning presented him with a handsome gold watch bearing the following inscription:
Presented to Leo Chapman. (Chap.) journalist, by the members of the nineteenth General Assembly of Iowa, as a token of esteem, 1882.
On April 10, 1853, Mr. Chapman assumed ownership and editorial control of the Mason City Republican, where he is to-day and in which occupation and paper he expects to live and die, as he is an enthusiastic lover of his business and location. He is temperate in habits, republican in politics, American in nativity and notion, and in religion is as liberal as the world is wide.
[Page 653] J. B. Charlton, M. D., was born in Washington Co., Penn., in 1846. His parents went to Keokuk Co., Iowa, in 1856, where he passed the next six years of his life. He enlisted in 1862, a lad of sixteen, in the 18th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. His first service was in the ranks and afterward as sergeant major of his regiment, after which he was chiefly engaged in detached service, and especially on scout duty. During the unfortunate Red River expedition, he bore despatches from Gen. Steele at Camden, Ark., to Gen. Banks on the Red River, traversing safely a distance of 120 miles on horseback alone, through a tract of country infested with rebels. After delivering his papers to Gen. Banks, he returned as he came, without accident or detention. He was on duty in several severe battles, and at the expiration of his term of enlistment, was commissioned 2nd lieutenant, by Gov. Stone. He went to Pennsylvania where he attended school for a period of time. He went to New Orleans and having by chance secured the position of clerk to the super cargo of a merchant vessel, sailed for Hong Kong, China. Arriving at that port and his services being no longer needed, he was discharged and left to make his way home, and at his own expense.
He went to Keokuk county, and in 1869 began the study of medicine, and was graduated from the Medical Department of Iowa State University, Iowa City, in March, 1872, where he entered upon the practice of his profession at Clear Lake. In September following he was appointed demonstrator of anatomy in his alma mater, holding the position four years and alternating its duties with those of his profession at this place. He was at the same time a member of the surgical board of the hospital.
Dr. Charlton is thoroughly read and eminently skillful in both surgery and medicine, has a large and lucrative practice, which is constantly extending. Genial and intelligent, he maintains socially an enviable popularity. He is commander of Tom Howard Post, G. A. R., of Clear Lake, and has served three years as mayor.
Mrs. Charlton, formerly Jennie Rosecrans, was born in Ohio. Their daughter, Ethel, and son, Max, were born at Clear Lake.
[Page 630] Jarvis S. Church located at Masonic Grove, Cerro Gordo county, in 1855. He was born in Spring Creek township, Crawford Co., Penn., April 2, 1830. His early education was received in the public schools, and was supplemented by courses at the Albion Academy, Pennsylvania, Kingsville, Ohio, Academy and Oberlin College. In April, 1855, he left Pennsylvania for Waterloo, Iowa, and commenced the study of law with Judge Randall, remaining until the fall, when he came to Cerro Gordo county.
In August, 1856, Mr. Church was elected prosecuting attorney of Cerro Gordo county. In the latter part of August, Mr. Church was admitted to the bar by the district court for Black Hawk county, and at once engaged in active practice. In November, 1856, county judge, John P. Long, was suspended from performing the duties of his office, and Mr. Church became acting judge, holding his first term of court on the 3d of December, 1856. He was elected to the county judgeship in August, 1857, and remained in office until Jan. 1, 1860. In 1861 he was appointed enrolling officer for Cerro Gordo and Worth counties, and so successful was he in this capacity, that not one person in either county was drafted. In 1864 Mr. Church was elected to the office of county superintendent, and served until May, 1866, when he removed from the county, going to southern Nebraska, where he has since lived.
[Page 654] W. R. Clack, dental surgeon, founded his business at Clear Lake, Feb. 4, 1878, and is the earliest resident dentist. Several individuals of the same profession had previously practiced here periodically, but none had been permanently established.
Dr. Clack is son of the Rev. William Clack, a pioneer Baptist minister of Milwaukee, Wis., and is now resident at Prairie du Chien, in that State. The father is a native of England, and at thirty years of age came to Pennsylvania, removing thence to Wisconsin. Dr. Clack was born in La Fayette Co., Wis., in 1852. He prepared for his profession at Milwaukee, studying under Dr. D. W. Perkins. He commenced dental practice in 1874.
He married Adda, daughter of Rev. R. R Wood, of Cedar Lake, Jan. 26, 1883.
[Page 759] Hugh Clark was an early settler in Franklin Co., Iowa, having bought land and moved there in 1868. He improved this land, erected a good set of buildings, and lived there until 1875, then came to Bath township, Cerro Gordo county, and bought land on sections 27 and 28. He has erected a good set of buildings, improved and cultivated his land, and now makes it his home. He was born Nov. 9, 1816, on Prince Edwards Island, was brought up on a farm until he was fourteen years of age, then went to sea and sailed before the mast for eight years; was then promoted to captain and followed the sea in that capacity until 1855, during which time he sailed around and visited all the principal parts of the world.
When he left the ocean he came to the United States and bought and located on a farm in Grant Co., Wis. Not liking his location, he sold out in 1863, and purchased and settled on a farm in German township, Grundy Co., Iowa, and lived there until 1868, when he removed to Franklin county.
He was married in 1841 to Mary Gamble, a native of Prince Edwards Island, and they have thirteen children, eight of whom are now living — Michael, Myrtie, Sarah E., Collinwold C, Archie, Orrin, Eva and Oscar H.
[Page 637] J. J. Clark, junior member of the law firm of Stanbery & Clark, located at Mason City in 1874, and formed conjointly with J. S. Stanbery, the relation represented by the above named style.
Mr. Clark was born in Madison Co., Ky., Oct. 30, 1851. His father, James W. Clark, was a Presbyterian preacher and was, during his life, twice a delegate to the Presbyterian, General Assembly. His mother, Martha (Embray) Clark, was born in Kentucky where her father was a settler contemporaneously with Daniel Boone and her relatives intermarried with those of Henry Clay. They were both of Scotch-Irish descent. They removed to Saline Co., Mo., not far from Lexington, when Mr. Clark was three years old, the place where Col. Mulligan surrendered to Gen. Price. In 1865 they went to Nebraska City, and in 1866 Mr. Clark went to Clarinda, Iowa. He attended the law department of Iowa State University, and was graduated in 1873, and was one of the ten who received commencement honors.
He was married in September, 1875, to Ida B., daughter of Rev. W. A. Chambers, a Methodist clergyman. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have had three children, two of whom are living — Edie W. and Frederick J. The family are members of the Methodist Church.
[Page 948] James Clark, one of the early settlers of Cerro Gordo county, was born in Suffolk county, England, Sept. 27, 1830. His younger days were spent on a farm and at school. In 1852 he left his native land for America, landed at New York, went directly to Columbia Co., Ohio, where he stopped a short time, then went to Waukeegan and remained there six months, then went to Kenosha Co., Wis., where he was engaged on the Kenosha & Beloit Railroad.
In 1858 he came to Iowa and settled in township 96, range 19. He enlisted in September, 1862, in the 32d Iowa, company B, and went south. He was with Sherman on his Meridian raid; also with Banks on his Red river expedition; was with Smith's corps when he was following Price through Missouri. He was present at the battle of Nashville, and the siege of Mobile. He was discharged at Clinton, Iowa, in September, 1865, and returned to Cerro Gordo county.
He had, while in the army, bargained for a tract of land with one of his comrades, located on section 16, and on his return, he settled on this farm. He has improved the land, has a fine grove, and in 1882 he built the farm house in which he now lives.
He was married in April, 1857, to Georgians Frevett, of Dorsetshire, England. They have seven children — Harry C., William A., Charles I., Cora E , Frank G., Ida May and Bertha H.
[Page 954] Robert Clark, or Judge Clark, as he was known, was among the old residents of Cerro Gordo county, and from an incomplete obituary the following is obtained:
He was a native of New York, but came to Iowa, where he spent over twenty-two years of his life. He was the first justice of the peace to receive a commission in Cerro Gordo county. For several years he lived in Winnebago Co., Iowa, where he filled the office of treasurer for ten years. He died at Forest City, Aug. 12, 1876, aged fifty-one. It was estimated that fully 2,500 people attended his funeral, the services being held in a grove near Mr. Burnap's home, at Forest City. Everybody seemed to regard him as a near, dear, and personal friend, and mourned for him as such. Winnebago, Worth, Hancock, and Cerro Gordo counties were all represented at his funeral. Mr. Clark was Royal Arch Mason and was buried with Masonic honors, over 120 members of the order being present and taking part in the ceremonies, which were of the most imposing character.
[Page 888-89] S. H. Conrad Class owns 200 acres of land in Lincoln township, where he ahs been a resident since 1878. He is engaged to some extent in dairy and stock farming, to which his farm, fixtures and belongings are well adapted. Lincoln Springs Creamery is located on Mr. Class' farm, and he is one of the interested partners.
He was born Dec. 25, 1835, in Germany. His parents were Conrad and Dorothy Class. In 1857, at twenty-two years of age, he entered the Prussian army and after two years service, hired a substitue and emigrated to the United States where his brothers, Fred and William, had settled some years previous. His younger brother, Simon, accompanied him and they went first to Oconto, Wis. Mr. Class went to Michigan in 1860, thence to Pennsylvania, and afterwards settled in Holmes Co., Ohio.
In 1862 he was married to Nancy Frazier, a native of that county, and daughter of John and Mary (Cassidy) Frazier. Two years after his marriage, in 1864, he enlisted to fight for the Union in company K, 178th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving one year. He returned to Ohio an operated a saw mill untin 1869. In that year he went to Henry Co., Ill., and engaged in farming, coming to Iowa four years later.
The children of Mr. Class' family are - Almon F., John W., Joel F. and Phebe J. Mr. Class is a republican in political faith and is at present township clerk. His is a member of the Masonic fraternity and holds a high position in the esteem of this townsmen. The family attend the Christian Church.
[Page 814] John Claus, an early settler in Falls township, is a native of Germany, where his birth occurred June 27, 1820. He was trained in his native country to agricultural pursuits and educated at the public school. In 1850 he sailed for America and after a prosperous voyage landed at Castle Garden, N. Y. He entered at once as an apprentice with a baker in New York city, where he remained five years and then returned to Germany on a visit. He spent a year among the friends and scenes of his childhood, coming back to Long Island, where he resumed his former business.
He came to Iowa in 1858 to secure a home. He invested his savings in land on sections 7 and 8 in Falls township, residing at Plymouth until 1862, when he became the owner by purchase of wild land on section 4, and there took up his residence. He has improved the land and erected substantial and suitable buildings.
July 4, 1858, he was married to Cynthia, daughter of Robert and Amanda (Baker) Campbell. They have eight children - Frank, Lettie, Jonn, Ernest, Annie, Alice, Willie and Clara.
[Page 816] Valentine Claus was born at Rheinhessen, Germany, July 20, 1845, where he went to school until fifteen years old. He came to America in 1865, remaining with friends in New York about six weeks, when he made his way to his brother's in Falls township. He was an inmate of his family until 1871, when he built a house and moved on a tract of eighty acres of land he had previously bought on section 18. Two years after he bought eighty acres on another section, whither he removed. He has made fine improvements on his farm and it is well stocked with every modern convenience for the prosecution of successful farming.
Mr. Claus is a member of the German M. E. Church. He was married in 1872 to Katie Gildner, and is made happy by the possession of the following named children — Maggie, Mary, Clara and Wesley.
[Page 768] Mrs. Jane (Barnard) Clement resides on section 12. Her husband, Franklin Clement (deceased), was born in Orange Co., Vt., in 1818. At the age of eighteen he went to Michigan, and after a brief residence there, returned to Vermont. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Clement occurred at Cohoes, N. Y., in 1848, and, immediately after, they went to Connecticut, where Mr. Clement was engaged as inspector in the works of an ax manufacturing company. He afterward removed to Pennsylvania, and there became a manufacturer of axes. The family emigrated, in 1855, to Winona, Minn., and were among its first residents. Mr. Clement was there engaged in general blacksmithing and machine repairs.
In 1869 he came to Clear Lake, where he died suddenly, Feb. 17, 1883. He was universally esteemed in the community of which he was a member. He located and improved a fine farm, a little north of Clear Lake village, and built a pleasant home. He was sixty-five years old.
Mrs. Clement is a native of Orleans Co., Vt., she was born in 1819, and re-from Winooska Falls, Vt., to New York State. She has two children — Emily, born in Connecticut, in 1850, and Albert Todd, born in 1858.
[Page 637] John Cligitt, junior partner of the law firm of Miller & Cligitt, Mason City was born in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., Aug. 25, 1840. He came to Mason City, Iowa, in 1871, where he has since lived, engaged in the practice of law. Soon after his birth his parents moved to Burlington, Vt., residing there until the spring of 1850, at which time they settled in Kendall Co., Ill., where John was brought up on a farm, receiving a common school education. He afterwards divided his time for some years between farm work, teaching school and reading law. He attended the Chicago law school and received his first certificate of admission to the bar, from the Supreme Court of Illinois, in the spring of 1869.
Coming to Iowa without financial means and wholly unacquainted, he had his full share of difficulties to contend with. But with good health and persevering efforts he has successfully established himself in the legal profession. In the spring of 1881 he was elected mayor of Mason City, in which office he is now serving his fourth term. He is a law partner of Hon. G. R. Miller and is one of the rising men of the State.
[Page 826] J. E. Cole is a native of Broome Co., N. Y. born July 14, 1838. When he was ten years old his parents settled in Dane Co., Wis., where they were pioneers. In 1856 with his parents he removed to Iowa, where they again engaged in farming.
He was married Dec. 5, 1861, to Sarah J. Sanguin a native of Pennsylvania. In 1834, conjointly with his brother-in-law, G. G. Hickok, he purchased a livery stable and stage route at Lancaster, Grant Co., Wis., which business he managed two years then resumed farming in Iowa county. In 1870 he went to Grand Tower, Ill., where he was in charge of the stables belonging to the Grand Tower Mining, Manufacturing and Transportation Company. He returned to Wisconsin in 1871.
In the spring of 1872 he located on a farm in Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa. He bought land on section 36, Falls township, which he has put under a high state of improvement. He built the commodious frame house where he now lives in 1882. Eight children grace the home and gladden the parents hearts. Their names are — Wilbert E., Ida E., Charles G., Perry O., Franklin J., Edith E., Elmer J. and Gracie Alice. Mr. and Mrs. Cole are members of the Free Methodist Church.
[Page 825] L. Cole, station agent, was born in Athens, Somerset Co., Maine, March 1, 1847. He worked on the farm summers and attended school winters until seventeen years of age, when he went to Massachusetts, and located at Neponset village, where he was employed to drive a milk wagon to Boston. In the fall he returned home, and went to school that winter; and the next summer worked at farming. In the fall he went to the Penobscot river, where he was employed in a mill to saw shingles. He worked there one year, then started west. He stopped a short time at Oshkosh, then went up the Little Wolf river, and worked in a shingle mill until fall, when he returned home and attended school that winter. In the spring of 1868 he returned to Oshkosh, Wis., where he entered the commercial college. He graduated in the fall, and engaged with Fletcher & Everett to keep books. He was with them until March, then engaged as a clerk on a steamboat running on the Fox river. He then made the acquaintance of L. R. Root, superintendent of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, who gave him employment in the depot at Berlin. He was employed in several places in this State until December, 1871, when he was appointed station agent at Plymouth, a position which he still retains.
He was married the 24th of April, 1872, to Clara Stevens. They have been blessed with five children — Bertie, Levi, Eben, Claudie and Clifton D.
[Page 844] Michael Colwell, a prominent and respected citizen of Geneseo township, located on section 15, in 1870. He purchased wild land from Sandford Childs, and has made great improvements. He was born in Cavan Co., Ireland, emigrating to the United States in 1849. He lived four years in Connecticut, then removed to Illinois, from thence to Dodge Co., Wis., where he made his home until 1870.
He married Mary McConlogue, also a native of Ireland. They have no family.
[Page 864] J. W. Cook became a resident of Cerro county and Grant township in 1865. He brought $450 with him, and he invested $300 in land, devoting the balance to improvements. His property now includes 226 acres of land, in the best condition, one of the best planned barns in the county and a good residence.
Mr. Cook was born in Locke, Cayuga Co., N. Y., Jan. 14, 1831. The year following his birth the family moved to Ohio. There Mr. Cook's mother died in 1846, leaving seven children. His father still lives on the homestead in the Buckeye State. Mr. Cook, Sr., was born in the year 1800. His children are — Mrs. McCauley, James, the custodian of his father's interests; Nathan, settled in Lincoln township, Cerro Gordo county, and died in 1867; Lois, Mrs. Ezra Scoville, of Hebron. Neb.; Betsey, Mrs. Helsel, of Hillsdale Co., Mich.; Joseph W. and Euphemia, now Mrs. Henry B. Ogram, of Kossuth county.
Mr. Cook shared in the family labors on the homestead farm until 1854, when he went to Columbia Co., Wis. There he married Zelia E., daughter of Frank and Elmira Folsom. Their children are — William M., Fremont E., Florence E., Sheridan G., Permelia E., Robert E., Bertha May and Maud E.
James H. Dickerson, a member of Mr. Cook's family and associating with him in his farming interests, was born in Vermont, April 10, 1832. He went to Wisconsin in 1853 and in 1853 and enlisted in February, 1865, in company E, 50th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and was in the service of the Union one year. He came to Iowa immediately after his discharge and has since been a resident of Cerro Gordo county.
[Page 901] Josephus Cooper was a native of that
portion of the State of Virginia which is now
West Virginia. He was born in December,
1808, and when twenty-one years of age
went to Illinois, where he settled in
Stephenson county. The land he there
purchased became his through government
patent and he is in a double sense a pioneer.
He put his farm in good condition with
improvements and in 1857 sold out and
He was a kind-hearted, generous spirited man, and left a splendid record among his fellow men. His wife, Ibbie (Tucker) Cooper, died in 1860. Six of their eight children are living — Jane, Emeline, Jesse, Emery, Rebecca and Josephus. Eliza died in 1866; Elizabeth, in 1876. Josephus, youngest son, occupies the homestead. His brother Emery and a sister reside with him. Emery Cooper owns a farm in Worth county.
[Page 934] Albert Cornell resides on section 36, where he owns 160 acres of land. He came to Iowa in 1874. He was born in New York, June 30, 1842, and is a son of Owen and Theresa Cornell, who emigrated to Illinois in 1846, where Albert was brought up on a farm. In 1862 he married Esther A. Abrams, daughter of H. J. and Rachel (Ray) Abrams.
He continued to farm in Lee Co., Ill., until he came here. Mr. and Mrs. Cornell have eight children — Mortimer, Emma, Rachel A., Harry, Lonnie, Katie, Ray and Mina. Mr. Cornell is a democrat in politics, and has been honored with various township offices.
[Page 821] Joseph Cotey, general merchant, was born in St. James Parish, province of Quebec, Canada, Nov. 4, 1831. (The name was originally Cote, pronounced as now spelled). His parents moved to Montreal when he was ten years old, when he was sent to the friars' school for four years. At the age of fifteen he was bound out as a clerk in a dry goods store. His principal failed a year after, and he then apprenticed himself to a shoemaker. In 1847 he moved to Rochester, N. Y., where he finished learning his trade in 1851. He went to Dundee and there at twenty years old commenced going to public schools. The following year he attended the academy, paying his tuition by teaching French. In 1855 he went to Columbus, Wis., and opened a shoe shop in company with Samuel Elliott, brother of John A. Elliott.
He was married in Otsego, Wis., to Hannah M. Tompkins, of Dundee, Yates Co , N. Y. He prosecuted his business in Columbus eleven years, adding general merchandise during the last six months. He then removed to Mitchell Co., Iowa, in 1866, and opened a general store at West Mitchell.
In 1870 he established the first store in the new town of Plymouth, occupying a building now used as a hotel, and known as the Plymouth House. The next year he put up a building, 20x64 feet, which he afterward extended to 48x80 feet. This was destroyed by fire in 1881 when he moved to his present quarters on the south side of main street. His stock is large and varied, including staple and fancy dry goods, boots, shoes, hardware, clothing, groceries, drugs, school books, stationery and trunks, valises and yankee notions. He also has a tin shop connected with his establishment.
Mr. Cotey has built several structures in the town and devoted his energies largely to its advancement.
His oldest son, Clinton D., is engaged in the store; his second son, Charles J., is a student at Ames college. His only daughter, Emelie Adelle, died in 1871, aged eight years.
[Page 961] C. E Crane was born in Bridport, Vt., June 1, 1818. He was reared in his native place, trained to agricultural pursuits, and acquired his education in the common schools.
He was married in 1842 to Ellen Adams. Of their six children but one is living — Delia. Mrs. Crane died in Middlebury, Vt., where Mr. Crane was engaged in mercantile business about six years.
In 1854 he came to Fond du Lac, Wis., where he married Frances Parish. They had two children — Will E., a graduate of Iowa State University and now assistant professor in that institution, and Edith, wife of F. C. Patton, of Minneapolis, Minn. Mrs. Crane died in Fond du-Lac in 1864, and Mr. Crane was married a third time, in 1866, to Alice S. Fitch. They have six children - Flora, Charles, Fred, Eva, Harry and Mary.
In the fall of 1867 Mr. Crane moved to Green Bay, Wis., where he was interested in lumbering. He became a resident of Mason City in 1870. He was an old time whig in political faith, in early manhood, and joined the rank of the republican party on its organization.
[Page 972] Dennis H. Cross, foreman of the car shops of Mason City, was born in Canada East, July 4, 1854. When about thirteen or fourteen years of age, he came to Iowa and located at Monona, Clayton county, where he followed farming. In 1870 he came to Cerro Gordo county. In 1880 he was appointed foreman of the car shops, and has the charge of twenty-five men.
He was married in 1874 to Mary O'Neil, by whom he has had four children — William H., John J., Mary E. and Aggie.
[Page 875] Elnathan Crowell was born at Cape Cod, Mass., in 1812, which was his home until he was thirty years of age, as it was that of his father and grandfather, who passed their entire lives there.
Mr. Crowell went to sea at twelve years of age. He shipped on a merchantman and during his nautical life saw much of the world. He visited the principal seaboard cities of America, as well as the chief places in France, Spain, St. Domingo and other countries. When he abandoned a seafaring life he followed the vocation of carpenter and worked at Boston and Southbridge, Mass., and at Keene, N. H. He first located in the west near St. Mary's, Ohio, and came to Mason City in 1856.
In June of the next year he became a resident in Lake township. Mr. Crowell has been married three times. His first wife was a native of North Dana, Mass., and died eighteen months after her marriage. Her successor was Roxanna Gibbs, who died after coming to Lake. The third wife, Mrs. Sarah (Dickerm) Hall, is still living. One of three children of the second marriage — Lewis C. — still survives.
Mr. Crowell owns a valuable farm of 120 acres, on section 26, and resides at Clear Lake.
[Page 638] A. H. Cummings was born in Newport Vt., Feb. 17, 1850. His parents were Lorenzo and S. (Sylos) Cummings. There were three sons and three daughters in the family.
The subject of this sketch was raised on a farm, securing an academic education, also spending a year at Dartmouth College. He then entered a law office at Newport, where he spent one year. In 1871 he came to Mason City and entered the law office of Stanbery & Gibson, and the following fall was admitted to the bar. Since March, 1873, he has practiced law.
In 1873 he was married in Newport to Idella Blake, a daughter of William Blake. Two children — Jane and Albert have blessed this union.
Mr. Cummings is a member of the A. O. U. W. and also of the Odd Fellows order and K. of P.cemetery.
Return to 1883 Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page