Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
Union Publ. Co. Springfield IL. 1883.
"O - P - Q" Biographies: O'Connell ~ Quick
Compiled & Contributed by Susan Steveson
[Page 826] Patrick O'Connell was one of the settlers of 1871. He was born in Ireland, at the city of Dublin, in 1821. There he received a liberal education in the schools of his native city.
At the age of eighteen he left his native land for America, landing at New York city, where he found employment with a plumber for six months, when he engaged in the North River foundry. Four years later he went to Pennsylvania and settled in Washington county and engaged in farming for ten years. In 1851 he removed to Wisconsin and located in Washington county. He bought timber land of the Government and erected him a log house, cleared his farm up from a dense forest and lived there until 1871, when he sold out and came to Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa, settling on section 30, of Falls township. He was married in 1842 to Bridget Bergan, by whom he has had seven children - Thomas, Mary, John, Annie, Aleshia, Daniel and Catharine.
[Page 647] Dr. John G. Ogden came to Mason City, from Rockford, Ill, in 1866. He was quite well along in years when he came, a married man, and had been in practice prior to coming here. He settled on a farm near Owen's Grove, but finally moved to town. He remained a resident of Mason City until 1880, when he removed to Kansas, where he still lives, following his profession. He was much esteemed by all who knew him.
[Pages 901-02] Charles H. O'Neil, trustee of Lime Creek township, was born in Clinton Co., N. Y., March 11, 1844. His parents became residents of Marquette Co., Wis., when the son was seven years old. In two years they went to Fond du Lac county, where they were pioneers. When at the age of twenty-two years Mr. O'Neil went to Minnesota, and stopped in Dodge county, where he was married Dec. 24, 1866, to Marcella Beidleman. They went to Fond du Lac county, where they passed the next two years, then came to Lime Creek township, and purchased unbroken land on section 19. They lived on this laud five years and then bought their present farm of 160 acres on section 8, on which they have since lived. Mr. O'Neil has built a house and put his farm under good improvements. In 1883 he built a barn, 30x40 feet, with 16 feet posts, and has besides a granary, 16x24 feet. Mr. and Mrs. O'Neil have three children - Melville J., Ella M. and Leslie D.
[Page 902] George A. O'Neil, brother to C. H. O'Neil, was born in Clinton Co., N. Y., Jan. 17, 1848. He was married Nov. 25, 1875, to Lucinda B. Whiting. They came to Lime Creek township in 1878, and purchased a farm of Dwight Brown, on the southeast quarter of section 7. Their children are - Arthur and Lucia.
[Page 826] Patrick O'Neil is a native of Ireland. He was born in 1822, and reared on a farm in that country, making his home there till 1841, when he came to America. He landed in New York and went to Monroe county, where his brother was living. He was there employed in farming until 1844, when he started west, going directly to Milwaukee, which was then but a village. He worked at mason work there a while, but soon purchased timber land on that section, built a cabin home and improved some of the land. After a short stay there he sold out and moved to Washington county, where he was among the first settlers. He purchased 120 acres of timber land of the government, built a hewed log house, a good sized barn, and cleared 100 acres of his land. He remained there until 1871, when he sold and moved to Iowa, locating in Cerro Gordo county. Here he bought wild land on section 30, Falls township, erected a frame house, in which he was living in 1883.
He was married in 1844 to Mary Hickey, by which union there were nine children - Mark, Catharine, Mary, Maggie, Patrick, Bridget, James, John and Henry.
[Page 950] Patrick O'Neil is a native of Ireland, born in 1843. In 1860 he left his native land far America, and landed at New York, going thence to Ulster county, where he was employed in farming for one year, then went to Phillipsburg, where he entered the United States' service as teamster, then went to Washington, and joined the army of the Potomac. He was with the first brigade, second division, eleventh army corps. He remained in the government service three years, then returned to New York, and from there went to Rock Co., Wis., where he was employed at farming during the summer seasons, and in the pineries during the winters, until 1869, when he came to Cerro Gordo county and bought land on section 1, Mason township, where he now resides.
He was married in 1875 to Maggie Chalahan. They have three children - James, Daniel and Mary.
[Page 1005] Captain J. J. O'Rourk, merchant tailor of Mason City, came here in 1875, and soon after established his present business. He was born in Baltimore, Md., Sept. 5, 1853. His parents came from the Emerald Isle to America in 1852, settling in 1864, at Ann Arbor, Mich. There, in his father's tailor shop, Captain O'Rourk learned his trade, completing its details at Chicago in 1874. He has quite an extensive business, and employs about a half dozen assistants.
Captain O'Rourk was married in August, 1881, to Katie, daughter of S. D. Wright, of Wisconsin. They have one child - Maurice W. Captain O'Rourk is a member of the
[Page 650] Edward Osborne, M. D., located here in March, 1880. He was born in the province of Ontario, Sept. 3, 1838. Richard Osborne's paternal grandsire went to Canada from New Jersey in 1783, and served on the British side during the Revolutionary War.
Dr. Osborne is a son of John T. and Sarah (Greeley) Osborne, both natives of Canada. The father is a farmer and justice of the peace for the county in which he lives. Dr. Osborne was reared as a farmer's son and received a good education, graduating at the Normal school at Toronto in 1865. In 1867 he established a mercantile business at Tyrconnell, in which he was successful. In 1872 he bought a tannery, which he managed three years, but not finding his investment profitable disposed of the business in 1875. During the balance of that year and the following, he was local editor of the St. Thomas Journal. Meanwhile, he had been reading medicine, and in 1877-8 he attended lectures at Bennett Medical College and was graduated in 1878. He opened an office at No. 68 East Randolph street, Chicago, Ill., where he practiced until the date of his settlement at Mason City. He has founded a good practice here and finds his duties gradually extending. He belongs to the Iowa State Eclectic Medical Association and is a member of the Masonic Order.
Dr. Osborne married Henrietta C, daughter of James Bote of Brighton, Canada. Two of their three children are living - Winnie and Albert. Dr. Osborne's mother was a relative of Honce Greeley.
[Page 761] G. H. Overbeck has lived on the southwest quarter of section 31 since 1877. The place was partly improved when he purchased, but he has since greatly improved it by planting a fine grove of fruit trees and erecting a substantial frame house.
He is the son of William and Margaret Elizabeth Overbeck, born in Clayton Co., Iowa, Oct. 3, 1849, his parents being early settlers in that county. He remained with his parents until 1875. Mr. and Mrs. Overbeck have had four children - William Henry, born Nov. 13, 1878; Willhelmine Katharine, born April 24, 1880; Anna M., born Oct. 18,1881 (died Oct. 20, 188); John G., born July 12, 1883.
[Page 968] Anson C. Owen, marshal of Mason City and a pioneer of Cerro Gordo county, has been a resident of Cerro Gordo county since 1853. He was born in Tompkins Co., N. Y., Jan. 14, 1810. He is a son of Jonathan and Betsey (Ludlum) Owen, natives of Orange Co., N. Y. They had five sons and four daughters born in Tompkins county, all of whom reached maturity and reared families.
Mr. Owen, senior, served in the War of 1812, in Colonel Camp's Cavalry. He was a farmer, and in 1828 united mercantile operations with agriculture, and maintained his double business eighteen years.
Mr. Owen, of this sketch, was reared on a farm with primitive advantages for education. He went to Detroit in the spring of 1833, then a village with one street and a population of 200. Three years later he went to Jackson Co., Mich., where he obtained employment in a saw-mill. The next year he went to St. Joseph on foot, by the old territorial road, and on to Chicago by schooner. The great city of nearly 600,000 people was then a collection of a few shanties. In 1837 he took the first stage out of Chicago bound for Rockford. He made a claim of land in Owen township, Winnebago Co., Ill., six miles north of the city of Rockford, and improved a farm. In 1839 he hauled the first load of wheat from Winnebago county to Chicago and sold it for thirty-eight cents per bushel, taking his pay in leather.
He was married in 1840 to Lorinda Thomas. Mr. and Mrs. Owen had four children - Martha, Marilda, Robert and May. In the spring of 1853 he moved his family to Cerro Gordo county and entered a claim at Owen's Grove, named in his honor. His family lived six months in tents, and in the spring of 1854 he removed them to the place where he was building a log house. July 5, of that year, the Sioux Indians drove them from the county, and they took refuge at Cedar Falls, where the household remained six weeks while Mr. Owen returned and finished his house, where they set up housekeeping about the middle of August. Land came into market about this time, and Mr. Owen went on foot to Rockford, Ill., obtained what money he needed at 40 per cent., and in September went to Des Moines and purchased his land. His nearest neighbor, at the time he improved his farm, lived ten miles away. In 1864 he sold his place and bought a farm one and a half miles north of Mason City, in the township of Lime Creek, which he sold in 1868 and moved to Mason City. Mr. Owen came to Cerro Gordo county with but $5 in money, but with determination, hard work and economy he has acquired a comfortable substance.
He took the first government mail from Cerro Gordo county to Iowa Falls, in 1862. He made the route, fifty miles, on snow shoes. Mr. Owen is a radical republican, and was one of the first supervisors of Owen township. He has held his present incumbency five years, and is a popular official. His information concerning county and town affairs is unlimited. He has been a surveyor many years, and is probably the best posted man in the county on sectional lines. Marcus Owen is the only child, born to them at Owen's Grove, this county, being the first birth at the grove. Mr. Owen was one of the earliest settlers of the county, and many a way-faring traveler has just cause to remember, with lifelong obligations, the kindly treatment and hospitality of this old pioneer. Mr. Owen is seventy-three years of age, and despite advanced years, he is hale and hearty still.
[Page 1002] E. D. Page, contractor and builder, settled in Mason City in 1881. He was born in Warrenton, Fauquier Co., Va., Nov. 24, 1852. He is a son of Sidney E., and Lisetta (Bagley) Page, who went to Virginia in 1850 and remained until driven out by the war, in 1863. The family removed to Camden, Oneida Co., N. Y., where the father was employed in a rake factory. In 1865 he went to Henry Co., Mo., and in 1868 to Rockford, Winnebago Co., Ill. He settled in Hardin county in 1874, and two years later removed to Clear Lake, Cerro Gordo county.
He was married at Clear Lake in 1880, to Carrie, daughter of Henry Horsmann, of Jo Daviess Co., Ill. She was born in 1859. Mr. and Mrs. Page have one child - Lillie. Mr. Page is prosecuting his business with great success. He employs about fifteen men, and his contracts for the current year amount in the aggregate to about $20,000.
[Page 988] L. A. Page came to Cerro Gordo county in 1870, where he had previously connected himself with his present business at Mason City. Mr. Page was born in Windham Co., Vt., Sept. 4, 1843. His parents went to Dane Co., Wis., when he was six years old. There he attained majority and received a good education. He went to Decorah, Iowa, in 1865, where he was for a time employed in the post office, and afterwards engaged with J. C, Blackman in buying grain at Conover.
Mr. Page was married in November, 1874, to Emma Burnham, of New York. They have three children - Harry D., Leroy A. and Ida Floy. Mr. Page is a member of the Masonic order.
[Pages 825 & 834] Nelson L. Page, grain buyer, was born Feb. 12, 1849, in Windsor Co., Vt. While he was yet in childhood, his parents went to Wisconsin and located in Dane county, where he spent his youth in school and assisting on the farm. On attaining his majority he came to Mona, Iowa, and operated in wheat about six months. He then came to Plymouth, and, conjointly, with his brother, L A. Page, continued to buy wheat. In 1876 he rented Ehler's flour mill, which he managed six years, after which time he resumed his previous vocation, and still retains it, being the sole operator in grain at Plymouth.
May 12, 1880, he was united in marriage to Nellie Brimson, of Norwalk, Ohio. Mary is the name of their only child.
The first warehouse was built in 1870 by L. A. Page, who commenced buying grain that fall. In 1871, he sold to Bassett, Hunting & Co., who, in 1876, bought the warehouse built by C. W. Tenney, in 1870. In 1878, they erected an elevator with a capacity of 10,000 bushels, which with their warehouse room, gives a storage of upwards of 30,000 bushels of grain. This elevator is run by a fifteen-house power engine. The company is represented by N. L. Page.
[Page 878] Rodney Palmer was born in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., in 1848. He came to Iowa with his father, who is a resident of Lake township, in 1869. He is located on section 26, on a farm he bought of C. Patrick, a non-resident land-holder. It comprises eighty acres and Mr. Palmer has made all its improvements, it being wild land when he purchased it.
He Was married to Lizzie, daughter of George Carlton, and the children are - La Fayette, Clarence W., Merwin and Alice E.
[Page 792] The firm of Palmeter Bros., general hardware dealers, consists of D. H. and H. E. Palmeter, successors to J. H. Sweeney. They have been in business since February, 1874. Their father, Theron Palmeter, removed from Chautauqua Co., N. Y., to McHenry Co., Ill., remaining there until June, 1863, when he settled in Lake township in this county, on a farm which he sold in 1882, and went to Britt, Hancock county. D. H. Palmeter, elder of the brothers, was born in June, 1846, in Chautauqua Co., N. Y. and came in February, 1863, to Cerro Gordo county.
His wife was born in Potosi, Wis. She was, before her marriage, Ada S.
Armstrong. Mr. and Mrs. Palmeter have a son - Roy W., and a daughter, Linnie M.
[Page 792] H. E. Palmeter was born in 1848. His wife, Emily E., daughter of J. A. Fletcher, was born in Rock Co., Wis. Her death occurred in May 1882. She left two children - John F. and Loro E. Palameter.
The Messrs. Palameter are successful business men and are doing a thriving trade. They own 400 acres of land in Lake township, eighty acres of which were originally a part of their father's farm.
[Pages 793-94] The firm of Palmeter Bros., general hardware dealers, consists of D. H. and H. E. Palmeter, successors to J. H. Sweeney. They have been in business since February, 1874.
Their father, Theron Palmeter, removed from Chautauqua Co., N. Y., to McHenry Co., Ill., remaining there until June, 1863, when he settled in Lake township in this county, on a farm which he soldin 1882, and went to Britt, Hancock county.
[Page 919] Amos Pardee first came to Cerro Gordo county in 1855. He was accompanied by John West. He purchased 200 acres of land on section 34, Portland township, returned to Chicago and brought his family in 1856, settled on his land and commenced improving it, but as his health was poor and the county but sparsely settled, he returned with his family to Chicago, in 1858, and in 1861 he enlisted in company D, 8th Illinois Cavalry, and served three years, after which he returned to Chicago, and soon after came to Iowa and again settled on his land where he has since lived.
Mr. Pardee was born in Michigan, Sept. 25, 1834, but when a small child removed with his parents to northern Illinois. In 1856 he married Jane ewitt, born in Cook Co., Ill., March 30, 1838. They have two children - Frank M. and Orrin A.
[Pages 714-15 & 1004] Senator H. G. Parker, of Mason City, has been so long identified with the best interests of Cerro Gordo county, that his name is inseparable from all her enterprises and projects for future well-being. All his career, since he cast his lot in Iowa, has been signally marked by his disinterested efforts for her general and local prosperity. Mr. Parker is a reformer in the best sense of the term; he judges measures by long observation of their influence on society, and endorses no general principle which promises no permanent benefit to the institutions in which he is most intimately interested, as a man and citizen. Personal aggrandizement is his special aversion; human merit has no claim on his attention, unless characterized by self-abnegation.
Mr. Parker was born in Oswego Co., N. Y., July 20, 1829. His father, Patten Parker, was born Sept. 3, 1793, in Argyle, Washington Co., N. Y., and died Feb. 25, 1846. His mother, Sally (Burr) Parker, was born April 1, 1793, in Granby, Hartford Co., Conn. She died Jan. 23, 1873. Their marriage took place in Litchfield, Herkimer Co , N. Y., Oct, 20, 1816. They had three daughters and one son.
The senior Parker spent his life in the pursuit of agriculture. H. G. Parker was carefully reared on his father's farm and received a substantial education. In June, 1855, he turned his face westward, and settled upon Cerro Gordo county as afield likely to afford scope to his energies and abilities. This section was then the Utopia of the pioneer; the broad stretch of prairie seemed a special boon to the early settler, who came here with little beside hope and manly strength as the basis of a successful future. In the fall of 1855 Mr. Parker located at Clear Lake. His connection with the politics of the county commenced with his advent, he being elected one of the first justices of Clear Lake township. During his residence at Clear Lake, he opened and cultivated a farm on the north shore of the lake.
In 1859 he was elected county treasurer and recorder, and removed to Mason City to enter upon the duties of his office, Jan. 1, 1860. He served two years, and, Jan. 1, 1862. Associated with C. W. Tobin, a compositor in the office, purchased the Cerro Gordo Republican, a paper established in 1861. In the autumn ensuing, Mr. Tobin enlisted in the Union Army, and Mr. Parker was left to the mechanical as well as editorial management of the Republican. The patriotism of printers is a well remembered fact among publishers, and the dearth of typos sometimes interfered with the regularity of the issue of the Republican but it was a welcome visitor in the ranks of Iowa volunteers, who eagerly sought for news from home. At the beginning of 1863, Silan Noyes, of Clear Lake, an experienced printer and newspaper man, became a partner in the publication of the paper, but he retired at the end of the same year, and Mr. Parker operated alone up to the summer of 1867. His connection with the paper covered the most eventful period of the Nation's history, beginning with the outbreak of the rebellion, and terminating with the restoration of the National authority. In 1867 he sold the paper to Silan Noyes and S. A. Sirrine.
In 1862 Mr. Parker was appointed deputy clerk of the district courts and clerk of the board of supervisors. In 1863, after the death of H. B. Gray, clerk of the court, he was elected to fill the vacancy, and held the post until January, 1865, declining reelection on account of his editorial obligations. In the fall of 1870 he was selected one of three supervisors, who were to constitute the board in-lead of one official from each civil township. Mr. Parker drew the short term and acted one year. At the same time he was councilman of Mason City, and a member of the school board of the independent school district. His labors in the latter capacity have their reward in the elegant school building whose erection is due to the efforts of Mr. Parker and his co-adjutors. In 1870 he built the flouring mill on Willow creek, known as the Parker Mills, at a cost of $12,000. He re-appeared in public life in 1881, when he was elected to fill a vacancy in the State Senate, where his official record is one of honor to his manhood and credit to his constituency.
He was married in 1861 to Mary A., daughter of Luke Coon of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Parker have five children - Maud G., Laura L., H. Earl, Carl A. and Mary M. Mr. Parker has built his fortune from a small foundation. He ranks fairly with the capitalists of the northwest, and owes his prosperity to judicious management. In company with A. T. Parker, he is engaged in adding substantially to the beauty and permanent growth of Mason City, by the erection of an opera house, an investment of about $25,000.
During the summer of 1883, Hon. H. G. Parker and his cousin, A. T. Parker, erected one of the most substantial and imposing opera houses in all the northwest. The building is 24 x 130 feet. It is constructed of Mason City lime stone, except the corners of the front, which are from the Anamosa quarrires. It is trimmed with a beautiful galvanized cornice and lighted by gas furnished by the gasoline plant. The opera hall proper has a seating capacity of from 900 to 1,000. In order to get a basement of the proper depth, many weeks of tedious blasting had to be done, as the strata of lime stone at this point cropped out nearly to the surface. William Foster, of Des Moines, was the designing draughtsman, Farrell & White, constractors of the stone work, and W. W. Blood, the carpenter work. The ground floor of the block was first occupied by Wright & Congar, dry goods dealers. The cost of this building was $30,000.
[Page 927] James Parker, proprietor of the Portland Cheese Factory, was born in Erie Co., N. Y., Jan. 2, 1833. His parents, David and Esther (Hoag) Parker, were both natives of Vermont. The family included eight children, seven of whom yet survive. The death of one took place in the spring of 1883. They emigrated in 1845 to Lake Co., Ill., where the parents died.
Mr. Parker was reared as the sons of farmers commonly are, but later, was engaged in a general store where he was in business twelve years. In 1877 he established a cheese factory in Lake Co., Ill., which he operated until February, 1879, at which date he sold out and founded his business in Portland.
In February, 1870, Hattie L. Griswold be. came his wife, and they now have three children - Jennie, Andrew J. and Edwin.
[Page 941] John G. Parker came to the county in March, 1873, and settled on section 9 of Union township. In 1874 he removed to Clear Lake and run a brick yard two years; also followed his trade as carpenter. He afterwards followed farming one year in Clear Lake township, and in 1882 returned to his farm in Union township.
He was born in Saratoga Co., N. Y., Feb. 20, 1837. His parents are William and Abigail (Gibson) Parker. In 1842 the family emigrated to Illinois where the father died in 1850. The mother subsequently married Amos Brown, and now resides near Manning, Iowa. There are three children in the family - Simeon S., John G. and Silas.
John was bred to farm life, learned the carpenter trade and in 1863 married Mary Walley. They have had six children, four of whom are now living - Alice, Altneda, John and Nancy. Mr. Parker in 1856 went to Missouri and remained one year, then returned to Illinois. In 1867 he came to Dallas Co., Iowa, but returned to Illinois in 1868. In politics he is a republican.
[Page 901] Levi Parker, a representative of the pioneer element of Cerro Gordo county, is a son of the Green Mountain State. He was born in Franklin Co., Vt., April 2, 1822. His parents removed to Illinois in 1840 and were pioneers in Lake county. His father bought government land which he put under first class cultivation and occupied until his death. Mr. Parker also bought government land, built him a home and resided there until 1860, when he sold out and moved westward. He bought school land on section 16, Lime Creek township. The family occupied the log house first erected for several years, when their present frame building was built.
Mr. Parker was married in 1845 to Martha C. Vandermark, a native of the Empire State. The family includes seven children - Martha C, aged 37; Silas G., aged 35; Stephen F., aged 33; Albert L., aged 31; Alonzo M., aged 28; Obed H., aged 25; John W., aged 21.
[Pages 677-78 & 896] Timothy H. Parker is a leading representative of the pioneer corps of Cerro Gordo county. He settled here in 1855. Mr. Parker was born in Broome Co., N. Y., Nov. 16, 1818. His parents went to Erie Co., Penn., in his youth and a few years later to Trumbull Co., Ohio. Their final move was to Jay Co., Ind., where they were pioneers.
Mr. Parker was married in Mercer Co., Ohio, Oct. 17, 1839, to Elizabeth De Hayes. She was born in Preble Co., Ohio. They settled in Jay Co., Ind., where they remained until 1855, when they set out to find a new home farther west. In the spring of 1856, they pitched their tent on section 34, which has ever since been their home, Mr. Parker having come the previous year. They have nine children - Betsey A., Martin B., Margaret J., Ellie C, Francis S. and Frances E. (twins) Lydia L., Mary L. and Willie H.
By Timothy H. Parker
I left Wabash township, Jay co., Inc., Sept. 10, 1855, with two teams, to come to Iowa. We were five weeks getting ten miles west of Dubuque. It got very cold and as I had no claim picked out in Cerro Gordo county, the place toward which I was making, I concluded to leave my family and go ahead alone to find a location. So I rented a house, got my family comfortable domiciled and came to Mason City, purchasing the farm on which I now live. I then returned to my family, and in the following April started to my land in Cerro Gordo county. When I got to the Shell Rock river, the ice was running and we couldn't cross with the wagons, so I got Enoch Wiltfong to help swim the horses over and take the family, beds, stoves, etc., across, giving him one dollar for his trouble. After paying Wiltfong I had thirty cents left to begin the summer. The next winter I went to Cedar Rapids and hauled a load of mill irons for George Brentner, receiving for the job seventy dollars, with which I bought stuff that was called flour, at five dollars per hundred. We had bad luck with the first two crops of corn we planted, as the early frosts killed both, and we had almost nothing to feed our cattle. We had six cows, however, that we had brought with us, and these helped us weather the storm all right. One day, in 1856, we were visited by an Indian squaw, who wanted to trade us her papoose for a bushel of potates, because the little thing was sic, and she didn't want to take care of it; but we didn't care about dealing in that kind of goods, so didn't make a trade. When we first came to Cerro Gordo we didn't have very good religious privieges, and it was very seldom that we got the benefit of hearing a good sermon. I remember the first Sabbath I spent in this county. I went to Mason City, to see if there was any meeting; all I found was a Sunday school, and there was but little satisfaction in that, as there wasn't a man to open the school by prayer.
[Page 730] Frederick Pattee was the first assessor, being elected in November, 1856. Pattee came to Clear Lake from Janesville, Bremer Co., in 1855. He was a brother to John and William Pattee, at one time Auditor of State. Frederick remained here until about 1865, when he moved west. It was reported that he had been shot by an Indian, while boating on the Missouri river.
[Page 844] J. B. Patterson was born in Belmont Co., Ohio, in 1830. His father, Jeremiah Patterson, removed to Morgan county when the subject of this sketch was only three years old. From that State he moved to Illinois, and, in 1865, came to Franklin Co., Iowa.
In 1871 he moved to Rockwell. Mr. Patterson married Miss E. J. Short, of Ohio. They have one son - Charles A., who is engaged in railroading. Mr. Patterson served a year and a half in the army, belonging to the 4th Illinois Cavalry, and was honorably discharged for disability.
[Page 951] Kettle Paulson, who settled in Mason township in 1872, was born in Germany, at Schleswig, Holstein, Feb. 27, 1845. He attended school there until sixteen years of age, after which he worked on a farm.
In 1870 he left Germany and came to America, landing at New York city, and from there he came to Iowa, stopping in Clinton county, where he was engaged in farming for two years. From there he moved to this county and rented land in Bath township for one year, and then moved into Falls township and purchased land on section 32. Here he lived two years, making improvements on his land, but finally sold and removed to Mason township and purchased land on section 34. On this place he has erected fine buildings, and planted out a beautiful grove.
He was married in 1872 to Mrs. Emma Hansen, by whom he has six children - Caroline, Johanna, Thomas, Matilda, Emma and Clara.
[Page 902] L. A. Peck, who came to Lime Creek township in 1869, was born in Rock Co. Wis., Nov. 26, 1847, and was there reared to agricultural pursuits and received a fair education at the common schools, and afterward was advanced by three terms at the Milton Academy. In 1869 he came to this township, where his father had a large tract of land. He improved some of the land, staying on it part of the time and spending the remainder in Wisconsin. In 1881 he located permanently on section 27, where he still lives.
[Page 884] A. W. Pence was born April 11, 1835, in Henderson Co., Ill. He was reared on a farm and settled in Cerro Gordo county in 1857, and has since been a resident of Lincoln township, where he owns 158 acres of land.
He married Caroline, daughter of J. B. Cobb, of Jackson Co., Iowa. Following are the names of their children - Mary M., John E., Lincoln G., Phebe J., Cora F., Carrie A., Alice N. and Wallace S. Mr. Pence is an adherent of the republican party, and belongs to the Church of the United Brethren.
[Pages 731 & 883] In 1856 Gabriel Pence, accompanied by his son, John, came to Cerro Gordo county and purchased several hundred acres of land in the northwest portion of Lincoln township. In May, 1857, Mr. Pence, wife and seven children removed from Jackson county and settled in their new home. The oldest daughter was married and did not come to the county until 1859. Gabriel Pence settled on section 6, and his sons, two of whom were married, located near him. Gabriel Pence was born April 18, 1806, in Ohio.
His father, John Pence, was the owner of a flouring and woolen mill in the State of Ohio, which property he sold and removed with his family to Indiana, where he built new mills. He operated these a number of years, and finally because of impaired health and a desire to see his family settled in life without being scattered, he sold out and went to Illinois, where he purchased a large tract of land, established his children on farms, and there resided until his death, which occurred in 1844. He was twice married and reared a large family of children. Gabriel Pence was trained to the vocation of his father.
While in Indiana he married Nancy McConnell, and about 1836 emigrated to Illinois. Six years after he moved to Jackson Co., Iowa, where he purchased land and resided until 1857. In that year he came to Cerro Gordo county, and actuated by the inherited desire to preserve his family in one unbroken circle so far as possibly, he bought a large tract of land in Lincoln township, and distributing it among his children, had the satisfaction of seeing them all settled in the same neighborhood. At a surprise party given in his honor, every lineal descendant was present including children, grand-children and great-grandchildren - four generations, about fifty-three in number.
He died Feb. 7, 1880, and his wife followed him Oct. 11, 1882. Of the ten children, Mr. and Mrs. Pence reared to maturity, seven still survive, John, Elizabeth (Mrs. George Goodell); Hannah (Mrs. William Rhodes); George, Allen W., Eliza (Mrs. B. G. Richardson), and Lydia, now the wife of Benjamin Duell. Mr. Pence was a man of sterling traits of character. He was a fond father, and built a substantial and permanent reputation in the township where he expended his fortune. He bore the highest character as an old-fashioned Christian gentleman.
Gabriel Pence was the next coroner, being elected in 1867. Gabriel Pence was one of the earliest settlers of the county, and one of the most prominent. The Pence settlement was named in his honor. He was the progenitor of a family numbering over sixty persons, most of whom are resident of this and Worth counties.
After his settlement Mr. Pence remained in the county until his death, which occurred Feb. 16, 1880. He was seventy-two years old at the time. He was a member of the United Brethren Church, and his life was one of marked integrity.
John Pence, his oldest surviving child, was born May, 7, 1828, in Indiana. He settled in Iowa at the date named in his father's sketch, and in 1849 was married to Louisana Lock. He settled in Cerro Gordo county in 1857, on section 6, Lincoln township, where he is the proprietor of 500 acres of land. His children are as follows - Levinna, now Mrs. Umbarger; Nancy, now Mrs. Booth; Sarah, now Mrs. Lavanway; Charlotte, now Mrs. Yokom; Lizzie, now Mrs. Taylor; Ella, now Mrs. Umbarger; Arthur C., Rachel A., John L. and Lawrence W.
[Page 884] George Pence was born Oct. 14, 1832, in Indiana. In 1857 he came to Cerro Gordo county with the members of his father's family. In the fall of the same year he returned to Jackson county and was married to Susanah Kegley. She died Nov. 9, 1879, leaving seven children, three of whom have since followed their mother to the unseen land. Those who still survive are - Nancy, Mrs. D. A. Zokom, Lenora, Laura and Susanah.
Mr. Pence is is engaged in farming, and intersperses his agricultural labors with that of a sportsman's life. He is a republican in politics, and in religious views adopts the creed of the M. E. Church.
[Page 1005]William Penney came to town in 1872. He purchased 240 acres of wild land in Lake and Mason townships, and now has a fine farm under excellent cultivation, with good out buildings and a fine residence, pleasantly located in a natural grove on section 1, of Lake township. He is a blacksmith by trade, having learned it when seventeen years age, but is now occupied in farming. He was born in Mt. Hope, Orange Co., N. Y., April 13, 1827. When twelve years old his parents moved to Sullivan county, where he remained five years, then returned to Orange, where he was three years learning his trade.
He was married in January, 1852, to Fannie M. Harding, of Mt. Hope. He then moved to Cattaraugus county, where he bought a farm and engaged in farming eight years, when he disposed of the farm and opened a smith shop at Little Valley, N. Y. His wife died there in 1864, leaving two children - Myron and Addie De Ett. He then sold his shop, returning to his father's home, spent the summer, and removed in the fall to Elk Co., Penn., where he worked at his trade. He was again married March 28, 1867, to Harriet A. Harding, a cousin of his first wife and a native of Mt. Hope. They then removed to Iowa to their present home.
[Page 814] Joseph Perrett, an early settler in Falls township, was born in Somersetshire, England, Feb. 25, 1834, where he labored on a farm until the age of sixteen, when he entered upon his career as a sailor. During the four years that followed he sailed around the world and visited some of its principal ports. In 1854 he set out for America, landed at New York, from there went to Buffalo, where he engaged for the season as sailor on the lakes. In the autumn of the same year he came to Iowa, passed the winter in Dubuque and Delaware counties, and assisted in laying out the town of Manchester. The following spring he responded to his longing for a sailor's life, and passed the season on the lakes, returning to Iowa in the fall.
In company with his cousins, T. and J. C. Perrett, he spent the winter in Falls township, and entered a tract of land. He was married in Illinois, April 4, 1858, to Sarah H. Brown. In 1859 they came to Falls township, and became inmates of the household of Thomas Perrett, where they remained one and a half years. Meanwhile Mr. Perrett built a log house, 14x20 feet, on his land on section 27. With the exception of three years, when he was engaged as captain of a schooner on the line from Chicago to Buffalo, and which finished his career as a sailor, this has been the home of his family. In 1876 he erected his present residence. Mr. Perrett has met with a fair degree of prosperity, being now the owner of 317 acres of land under advanced improvement.
Two children - Jennie and Mary, are members of tie household.
br> [Page 811] Thomas Perrett, a native of England, came to America in 1854 and spent that winter in Dubuque and Delaware counties, this State, and the following spring (1855) came to Falls township and entered there three "eighties" on section 27, and bought eighty acres of timber land on section 16. The first season he worked for A. J. Glover, and that fall he was joined by his brother, J. C. Perrett, and his cousin, Joseph. They were all single men and they spent the winter in a log cabin on section 10. This house was called the bachelors' retreat.
In the spring, J. C. or Charles, as he is better known, and Joseph returned to the lakes, where they were employed as sailors ; but in the fall of that year they returned to spend another winter in their cozy retreat.
In 1857 Thomas built a log cabin on his place, on section 27, and lived in it until 1871, when he built the stone house in which he now resides.
In 1860 Joseph Perrett settled on section 27, on land his cousin had entered for him. He built a log cabin in which he lived until 1876, when he built the farm house in which he now lives.
Thomas Perrett, one of the settlers of 1855, was born May 27, 1827, in Somersetshire, England. He received a good education and was reared to agricultural pursuits. In 1854 he came to America and proceeded direct from New York city to Iowa. He spent a short time at Dubuque, then went to Delaware county, where he aided in laying out the town of Manchester. In March, 1855, he came to Cerro Gordo county and entered land in township 87 north, range 19 west. The tract was located on section 27, and he also purchased land on sections 16 and 21.
During the summer following he was in the employ of A. J. Glover, and aided in the construction of a sawmill. He drew the first load of sawed lumber into Falls township from Charles City. In the fall of 1855, he settled on his own land, and in 1859 was married to Mary J. Brown, of Ohio. He has brought his farm under a good degree of cultivation and erected thereon substantial buildings, amongwhich is noted the fine stone house in which he now resides. He owns 450 acres of land and has filled responsible official positions in his town and county.
Mr. and Mrs. Perrett are the parents of four children - Lizzie, Hattie, Laura and Thomas.
[Page 793] J. E. Perry, furniture dealer, began his business in January, 1881. He is a native of Milwaukee, Wis., born in 1838. He was brought up in Columbia and Dodge counties Wis., and when a young man, learned the trade of carpenter. He came to Clear Lake, Dec. 8, 1869, and followed his trade until the time mentioned, when he established his present business.
His wife, formerly Katie McClemend, was born in Washington Co., Wis. Ella, Edwin and Guy are the names of their children.
[Page 886] C. H. Phillips owns and resides on a farm of 168 acres of land in Lincoln town ship, every detail of which gives evidence of the good sense, thrift and energy of its proprietor. His residence was erected at a cost of about $ 1,200.
He was born in Ontario Co., N. Y., April 27, 1820. His parents, Abiather and Hannah (Ranney) Phillips, were natives of Massachusetts. Mr. Phillips was brought up on a farm, and in 1854 was married to Almira, daughter of Edwin H. and Cynthia Blackmore, of Ontario Co., N. Y. They remained residents of that county until 1865, when they moved to Ripon, Wis., and the next year to Lincoln township, Cerro Gordo county, Iowa. The children who yet survive are - Lambert, Lester, Norman, Edwin, Nina, Albion and Dora. Mr. Phillips takes little interest in politics save in the discharge his privileges as a citizen of the United States.
[Page 798] The Phillips House was opened in 1869 by J. W. Phillips, who was still operating it in 1883. John W. Phillips, proprietor of the Phillips House, Clear Lake, was born Aug. 14, 1821, in the town of Riga, Monroe Co., N. Y. He is the eldest of nine children, and remained a resident of his native State until he was twenty-two years of age.
He was married to Louisa Richmond, a native of Ogden, Monroe Co., N. Y., and they removed to Dodge Co., Wis., in 1843. They changed their residence to Randolph Center, Columbia county, September, 1846. They came to Clear Lake in 1869. Mr. Phillips enlisted as a soldier in the civil war, Aug. 14, 1862, in company E, 29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, serving nine months and receiving his discharge for physical disability.
The Clear Lake Moon published the following sketch of the army experience of Mr. Phillips:
On the breaking out of the war, he enlisted in Captain Dunham's company, in the regiment commanded by Col. C. R. Gills, and took his place in the ranks as a private, where he remained until his constitution, once so robust, gave way under the sufferings and trials of a soldier's life, and we next hear of him at Helena, Ark., prostrated on a bed of sickness, and finally the news was brought to his family that he was dead, that he had died in the hospital, but soon after word came that he was living. The facts of the case were these. He left his company sick with typhoid feverand grew worse gradually until he ceased to breathe, so far as could be observed. The physician pronounced him dead. He was then removed to the dead house, and preparations were made for his burial. But the parties whos duty it was to bury him, thought they discovered signs of life. He was taken back to the hospital and life was restored, although it was many weeks before he acquired sufficient strength to be about again. From this sickness he never fully recovered.
"Mr. Phillips was one of the earliest settlers of Dodge Co., Wis. Helocated on a quarter section of land, which he sold three years after for $1,000 and removed to Columbia county. He has managed a hotel since 1871. Previous to 1882 he had a number of sail and row boats on Clear Lake."
Mr. and Mrs. Phillips have had five children, four of whom survive - Albertus Z., Alice (Mrs. Darian Howk); Mrs. Clarissa Clark and George J., and Huldah Ann, wife of George Rice, who died in 1880.
[Page 771] Charles E. and Harvey J. Pierce, sons of Charles and Sarah (Leslie) Pierce, are both natives of Essex Co., N. Y. The family moved to St. Lawrence county, in that State, and, in 1858, to Winnebago Co., Wis., where the father died, Sept. 6, 1882.
C. E. Pierce was born in 1841. He remained in Winnebago county until 1873, when he came to Clear Lake and purchased the property he now owns, consisting of 120 acres of land on section 8. One forty was owned by Samuel Ward. another by Alva Goodwin, and a third by James Robinson. The combined parcels of land constitute a valuable farm.
Mrs. Pierce was born in Fond du Lac, Wis. Of four children resulting from this union, two are living - Florence M.. born in Wisconsin and Frank II., born in Clear Lake township. The last named is one of triplets, two of whom were girls and are deceased.
[Page 771] H. J. Pierce was born in 1844. He located in Clear Lake township in June 1872, purchasing 112 acres of land, eighty of which was originally entered by a man named Plummer, for Thomas S. Gardner. The latter gave it to his son Stanton, who sold it to Solomon Gardner. By another transfer it became the property of George Wetmore, of whom it was purchased by Mr. Pierce.
The family of H. J. Pierce includes his wife and two children - Edith M. and Ora J. Mrs. Pierce, (Clara E. Bliss), was born in Vermont in 1841. Her parents, Stephen and Angeline (Pattee) Bliss, settled in Wisconsin in 1849. Mrs. Bliss was a niece of the Rev. Elias Pattee, first officiating clergyman at Clear Lake.
[Pages 846-47] John B. Piersol, general merchant at Rockwell, was born Dec. 14, 1843, in Park Co., Ind. In 1846 be moved with his parents to Green county, and in 1848 to Winnebago Co., Ill., where he worked with his father on the farm. In 1852 his parents moved to La Fayette Co., Wis., where he worked by the month to help support a large family of boys and girls. He had to chop wood winters instead of going to school, as boys usually do.
At the age of sixteen he enlisted in the 45th Illinois Volunteers, under Col. John E. Smith. He served four years and three months in the army, being in most of the great battles of the rebellion, in which the Western Army took any part. At Fort Donelson he was wounded, and notwithstanding he was a mere youth at the time, he stood up under his trials manfully. He was with Sherman on his march to the sea, and was with the army until the close of the war, and was discharged in 1865.
As his parents were poor, his advantages for an education were poor, and he thought it time to avail himself of more schooling, so he attended district school for a year, and then commenced teaching, and followed it for five terms, then removed to Floyd Co., Iowa, and purchased a farm.
In 1869 Mr. Piersol married Sarah Flinn, a girl he had been acquainted with from boyhood. In 1875, by advice from his physician, he quit farm life and moved to Rockwell, engaging in trade, which was small at first, but in 1883 had grown to a business of $25,000 annually. Besides his store he deals in grain and stock, and owns a large farm a half mile north of the town.
[Page 934] George Pollock and wife came to Cerro Gordo county in 1875, and settled in Pleasant Valley township where they have a comfortable home.
He was born July 29, 1832, in Scotland, and at an early age commenced work in the mines, which he followed in his native county until he was nineteen years of age, then went to Ireland where he spent nine months, thence to England, where in 1856, he married Sarah Royston. She is a consistent, earnest Christian lady, beloved by all who know her, and always ready to extend a helping hand to the poor and needy.
In 1862 they came to the United States and first settled near Galena, Ill. In 1865 they went to Colorado, remaining in the west until 1875, when they came to their present home in Iowa.
[Page 630] John Porter located at Mason City and began the practice of law in 1856. He was born in Washington Co., Penn., April 14, 1828. His early life was spent in milling and farming during the summer seasons, and in attending the common schools in the winter. At the age of eighteen he commenced teaching district school, and for three years his time was passed alternately in teaching and attending school to perfect himself in the higher branches. He then entered the office of Todd, Hoffman & Hutchins, Warren, Ohio, where he read law some years. In 1854, on his admission to the bar, he located at Plymouth, Ind., where he remained two years and then removed to Mason City, Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa. He soon took high rank as a lawyer and obtained a good practice for that day. In 1858 he was elected judge of the eleventh district, and soon afterward moved to Hardin county.
[Page 859] The second settlement [in Grimes Township] was Henry Prescott, who located on section 35, where he still resided in 1883. Mr. Prescott was born in New York, Nov. 26, 1828, and at the age of twenty-one went to Illinois. in 1856 he married Miss E. McNish, and in 1860 came to Floyd Co., Iowa, and from there to Cerro Gordo county, in 1876.
[Page 960] J. O. Prichard has been a resident of Mason City since 1869. He was born in Wales, June 22, 1835, but was left motherless when an infant. When sixteen years of age, accompanied by a friend, he emigrated to the United States, first stopping at Racine, Wis., where he learned the carpenter's trade, which he has since followed.
In 1862 he went to Cambria, enlisting in company H, 36th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded at the battle of Cold Harbor, and was disabled seven months. After his discharge he returned to Wisconsin, resuming his trade, and in 1869 came to Mason City.
He has been twice married. In 1864, to Margaret J. Williams, who died of consumption in 1866. In March, 1868, he married Florence Dayton, by whom he had three children, two of whom are living - Charles E. and Arthur. Mr. Prichard is a member of I. O. O. F. and of the G.A.R.
[Page 940] E. S. Pride fixed his abode in Union township in 1872. His farm, situated on section 16, proved less valuable for farming purposes than he desired, and in June, 1879, he sold it and purchased 120 acres on section 23, where he has met with the prosperity his thrift and energy merits.
He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, Oct. 5, 1843, and is a son of Ransom W. and Harriet M. (Gary) Pride. His parents went to Wisconsin in 1844 where the father, a practical business man, engaged in mercantile affairs and also managed a hotel. They are now residents of Fond du Lac Co., Wis. Their family of nine children grew to maturity, and seven pre now living. The six brothers and sisters of Mr. Pride are - E. W., Albert, Helen, Adelia, Adelbert and Ida.
Eugene S., of this sketch, in company with four brothers, became a soldier for the Union May 8, 1861. He enlisted in company B, 4th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served thirty-nine months, receiving an honorable discharge.
He was married in 1867 to Lavilla Meagher, born in Waukesha Co., Wis. Seven of their eight children are yet living: - Le Grand, Frank E., Emma E., Mina L., Bertha E., Jennie M. and an infant child. Mr. Pride has served his township as clerk, assessor and school director. He is a republican in political faith.
[Page 853] In 1871 the postoffice was removed to Rockwell, and W. R. Putnam became postmaster. It became a money order office in 1879, the first order being drawn by Dexter Bros., the amount being $18.05, in favor of the Davenport Glucose Manufacturing Company. Mr. Putnam continued as postmaster until his death, which occurrerd Jan. 7, 1876. His wife, Mrs. Martha Putnam, was commissioned as postmistress, May 16, 1876.
Mr. Putnam was born in Stonington, Conn., Jan. 11, 1812. At the age of four years he removed with his parents to Oswego Co., N. Y., where he was reared to manhood. Mr. Putnam was twice married; first in 1839 to Mary A. Crary, of Onondago Co., N. Y. She died in 1852, leaving four children - Addie, now Mrs. O. A. Sutton; Eliza, deceased; D. C. and L. W. He subsequently married Miss M. L. Reynolds, of Cazenovia, N. Y. They removed to Hardin Co., Iowa, in 1864, settling at Xenia, engaging in the mercantile business.
He came to Rockwell in 1871, and built the Putnam House. Mr. Putnam left three children - Mattie L., wife of Dr. Miller; Thomas N., who in 1883 lived at Brainard, Minn., and Fred R. They lost a son, Frank L., who was killed by accident on the railraod in 1873.
[Page 912] A. H. Quackenbush was born in Orange Co., N. Y., Jan. 4, 1813. He moved to Chemung county in 1818, at the age of fifteen.
He was married to Catharine Edmister, Nov. 22, 1838. They moved to Columbia Co., Wis., in 1856, from there to Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa, in 1869, where he died, Sept. 22, 1880. They raised eight children - Mary, Charles, Arvilla, Nancy, Judson, John, Ann and Byron. His widow now lives in Rockford, Iowa.
[Page 912] Judson Quackenbush, son of Amos Quackenbush, is a farmer on the southwest quarter of section 2, where he is pleasantly situated on a finely improved and well stocked farm. The buildings on the place are in every way suitable to the necessities and comfort of an Iowa agriculturist.
Mr. Quackenbush was married Oct. 30, 1873, to Ermina Watkins, of Floyd Co., Iowa. They have two children - Bertha and Robert. Charles Quackenbush is a coal and lumber dealer at Rockford. Byron is a land-holder in Owen township, but is spending some time in Dakota.
[Page ___] James Quick resides on section 24. He purchased his farm in 1871. He was born in Somersetshire, England, in 1819. He was brought up as a farmer. He came to the United States in 1850. He first settled in Onondaga Co., N. Y., in the town of Marcellus. From New York, he went to Ashtabula Co., Ohio.
He enlisted in 1861, under John Brown, son of old John Brown, of Kansas fame, and Harper's ferry notoriety. He participated in the battle of Corinth, and other important battles and campaigns. He served three years and was severely injured while in the service, but has not, as yet, succeeded in getting a pension.
His wife was Mary Ann Reed; she was born in Somersetshire, England. They have had nine children, seven of whom are living; two boys and five girls. The names of the deceased are, Lewis F. and Martha Cane.
Return to 1883 Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page