C. V. Wilder, F. W. Porterfield, J. M. Emmert, W. F. Graham, A. V. McComber, Wm. Semones, T. B. Morris, and C. L. Campbell organized the Atlantic Hospital Association in 1903. The association purchased a large frame residence at 5th and Oak which was converted and named the Atlantic Hospital. The hospital was originally was able to accommodate 10 patients, but was expanded around 1910 when sixteen rooms were added. It was torn down in 1916 and replaced with a new fireproof (brick) structure.
In 1916 the Atlantic Hospital corporation, comprised of Drs. C. V. Wilder, C. L. Campbell, W. F. Graham, U. S. Mullins, F. S. Becker, and W. S. Greenleaf began managing the hospital. Additional doctors joined the organization in 1929: R. L. Barnett, R. A. Becker, H. A. Johnson E. C. Montgomery and Agnes Wilder.
A new $200,000 wing was built in the early 1950's, opening in September, 1954. The wing contained new operating rooms, x-ray and lab facilities, and also a small chapel. The hospital was renamed the Atlantic Memorial Hospital. The board at this time included Cecil Malone, president; Norman Holmes, vice-president; Mrs. Ed Krostad, Gail Burke, Robert Groves, G. T. Kuester, P. C. Clemensen, Mrs. Wayne, Camblin, Kenyon V. King, Chas. Neiby, Jr., Mrs. D. C. Mitchell, Fred Brown, Roscoe S. Jones, James Winstone and Mrs. Maurice Coomes.
In the 1960's the need for a new facility became apparent and planning for a new county hospital began. Mr. Everett and Mrs. Dorothy Kelloway donated 26 acres of land located at East 10th Street, north of the Nishna Hills golf course, along with an additional gift of $125,000. Dick Bell spearheaded a funding drive, which was supplemented by a federal grant and a county bond issue. Ground was broken for the new Cass County Memorial Hospital on April 1, 1967. The new 104-bed facility opened in October, 1968.
There have been a number of major expansion and renovation projects since that time, enabling the hospital to utilize and maintain current technologies and meet community and regional needs. The campus now includes a medical office building, mental health unit, outpatient clinic and rehabilitation services. Additional information may be found at: http://www.casshealth.org/aboutccmh/history.html
Sources: History of Atlantic, Iowa 1868-1968, published by the Atlantic Chamber of Commerce,
April, 1968, pp. 41-42.
Cass County Iowa, published by Cass County - 1980 History, Inc., 1980, pg. 44.
Photo postcards contributed by Cheryl Siebrass, May, 2010 and March, 2011.