Home > History Home
History of Cass County - 1884

History of Cass County
from a reproduction "History of Cass County"
By the Continental Historical Company
December, 1884


Contributed by Ted Jessen

The sub-division of Cass county that is known as the civil township of Franklin, embraces all of congressional township 76 north , range 35 west of the fifth principal meridian. It lies in the second tier of townships from the north line of the county, and is the second from the east line. It is bounded on the north by Benton, on the east of Lincoln, on the south by Union, and on the west by Atlantic. It is intersected by Turkey creek and several of its affluents. The main stream enters the township on the north line of section 2, crossed that and sections 3,9,8,7, and 18, on its southwesterly course, and makes its exit on the west line of the latter section. The Eller branch takes its rise in the eastern part of the township, and flowing almost due west, crosses sections 13,14,16,17 and 18, in the northwest of the latter making a confluence with the parent stream. Jim branch flows through sections 25,26,27,21,22,20 and 19, leaving the township on the latter. These streams, with countless small tributaries, drain and water the entire township, spreading like threads throughout its entire surface, to such a degree that not a section is without running water upon it.

The surface of the township is beautifully diversified, hill and valley, level and rolling prairie, plain and timber, that delights the eye seeking the picturesque, and the heart of the intelligent agriculturist seeking a home. While some parts of it are hilly and somewhat rough, still but a small portion of it is unavailable for tillage or pasture, and much of it is already in a high state of cultivation, although a newly settled part of the county, comparatively speaking. The soil is the same dark, uctuous loam that is the characteristic of the soil of this portion of Iowa, and has a wonderful fertility. Wheat and oats do exceedingly well, while corn, the great staple of the county, is magnificent in its growth and wonderful in its yield. The rich , succulent grasses, both on wild lands and cultivated pastures run riot in a wild luxuriance, and the cattle fed in this vicinity manifest by their sleek hides and rounded forms the nutritious nature of the herbage.

The township is traversed by the main line of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific railroad, which enters Franklin on the northeast quarter of section 2, and crosses that section, and sections 3,4,9,7 and 8, leaving the township on the west line of the latter. The town of Wiota, lying within the limits of Franklin township, is the principal shipping point.


The first to make a settlement was Jesse ELLER, who , early in the spring of 1854, took up a claim on sections 18, and commenced to open up a farm. He broke forty or fifty acres, and put up a round log house. He lived on this place until about 1874, when he removed to Mills county, and from thence to Pottawattamie county, where he died, June 18, 1884. He was born in Wilkes county, North Carolina, and was of German extraction, although he was reared in Indiana. He was quite a hunter and trapper during the winter, but when spring had come, the gun was laid by, and the implements of husbandry were taken hold of with a will, and in a few years he had a good farm opened on the northeast corner of Turkey Grove. During the civil war, times were very hard, money scarce, and the comforts of life very high. Mr ELLER made more money than any other man in the vicinity, trapping and hunting mink, otter, wolves and other fur animals. A good mink skin was worth from three to five dollars, and other furs in proportion.

About the same time came Tipton Marion, who located on section 19, in or near a part of Turkey Grove, where he built him a cabin. He came from the vicinity of Fairfield, Iowa. He continued to live here for about two years, when he removed to Nebraska.

In the fall of 1854, Peter KANAWYER settled in Franklin township, on the northwest quarter of section 3, where he opened up a farm. He resided here until in 1862, when he emigrated to that far away land of gold, California, where he still is living.

Zadoc STEWART entered land on a portion of section 9, in the fall of 1854, at what is called "Middle Turkey Grove," where he built a cabin, and in the spring and summer if 1855, broke a little piece of ground and put in a crop. He has a family of one son and four or five daughters unmarried, all of the latter being young ladies, except the youngest. He was a native of Indiana, and remained here until 1865, when he sold out and removed to Fremont county, this state, where he died.

John ELLER, a son of David ELLER and a brother of Jesse, came to this vicinity in March , of 1855, and pre-empted a farm on section 20, where he now lives. He is the descendent of Peter ELLER, a Hessian soldier, who came to this country during the Revolutionary War, in the service of Great Britain, and who soon left that service and settled in North Carolina. John was born in Indiana, where his parents had removed some years before, in 1832, and moved with his parents in 1837, to Jefferson county, Iowa. He came to this county and remained until 1857,when he returned to Jefferson county where he enlisted , in 1862, in Company H, Thirtieth Iowa Infantry, and served with that regiment until the close of the war. He was at the siege of Vicksburg, battle of Jackson, Mississippi, siege of Atlanta, and was with Sherman in his march to the sea. After the war, he returned to Jefferson county, where he remained until September, 1866, when he returned to his farm in this township. His wife was a Mary Jane PARNELL, who was born in Wayne county, North Carolina, in 1834.

On the 4th of May, 1855, R.L. and W.W. JAMESON, and D.D. MORRIS came to Franklin Township and located upon the west half of section 7, entering government land. D.D. MORRIS lived here until 1868, when he removed to the vicinity of Grove City, where he is still residing. R.L. JAMESON remained on his farm until his decease in 1873; His family still occupy the homestead. W.W. JAMESON is still a resident of the township, and still resides upon the land that he first entered on coming to the county.

W.W. JAMESON located upon his present farm in section 7, May 4,1855. He came west in company with his brother, R.L. JAMESON, and D.D. MORRIS. They all settled on the west half of section 7, entering their land from Government. Mr. MORRIS lived where he first settled until 1868. He now lives at Grove City, Atlantic township. R.L. JAMESON resided here until his decease in 1873. W.W. JAMESON and his brother were born in Ohio. The former was born in the city of Columbus in 1826, and removed with his parents when a child, to Marion county. When he was 7 years old the family removed to Allen County of the same State where they lived twenty years. In 1853, the family all removed to Polk county, Iowa. The family at that time consisted of the parents, John and Sarah A. JAMESON, and seven children, six sons and one daughter. In 1854, the parents moved to Dallas county where they lived until their decease. The mother died in April 1867, and the father in 1882, at the advanced age of eighty two years. One son, James H. now owns and occupies the homestead in Dallas county. Two of the sons, Reed and Edward, enlisted in Company H, Thirty-ninth Iowa Infantry, in 1862. The former was taken prisoner at Corinth, Mississippi, and imprisoned at Belle Island, where he died November 14,1864. The latter served out his time and now lives with his brother, W.W. A brother in-law of Mr. JAMESON, John COMBS, enlisted in the same company at the same time and died at Corinth, in the spring of 1863. W.W. JAMESON removed from Polk county to Dallas county, in November 1853, coming here from the latter county at the time above mentioned. He was married in Allen county, Ohio, to Deborah WATT, a native of that county, born September 20, 1827. Her parents were Samuel L. and Olive WATT. The latter died when Mrs. JAMESON was twelve years old. Her father again married and removed to Sac county in this State where he died. Mr. JAMESON has nine children, all living- Alonzo C.,John L., Alice J., wife of Silas MARTIN; Sarah A., wife of Edwin BURKE; Adelaide, wife of D.D. HUNT; Samuel L., James W., Robert R. and Olive. All of the family are living in this township except Alice, who lives in Benton township.

Daniel BRYAN made a settlement during the summer of 1855, on a portion of section 19. He was a native of Pennsylvania, but came to Iowa from Ohio. He was a good mechanic and carpenter and worked in all parts of the county. He had a large family by his first wife, which he raised to years of maturity. He enlisted in company I, Twenty Third Iowa Infantry, in 1862, but was discharged before his term of service had expired, on account of disability. He returned to this township and took up the business of life. Some years ago he had the mis-fortune to lose his wife, and in due time was united in marriage with Eliza WILSON, of Edna township. In 1880 or 1881, he lost all his property, and left this county, going to Kansas. From there he came back to this county, where he died in 1882.

Joseph TURNER came to Cass county in 1855, and entered a quarter section of land in Pymosa township, and in the spring of 1858, settled down upon it and began some improvements. In 1862, he exchanged this land for a farm in Franklin township, on section 3, which he still owns. Mr. TURNER is the present Mayor of Wiota, and is noticed at length at that connection.

Charles JACKSON, in the fall of 1855, made a settlement upon section 7, and erected a log cabin. In the summer of 1856, he broke up some land and commenced making some improvements, but in August of that year, he sold his claim to Frederick STOODT, and removed to Fremont county. He came to this state from Indiana.

William JUDD settled upon section 18, during the year 1855, where his widow now resides. He was a native of North Carolina, but came here from Jefferson county, Iowa.He died , here, in April 1881.

DD MORRIS settled in Franklin township in the spring of 1855,and remained there till 1874, when he removed to his present location on section 11, Atlantic township.

George MAGEE, made a settlement upon section 18, in 1856. He was born in county Donegal, Ireland, March 10, 1822, where he lived until he was 18 years old, when he emigrated to America. He located, at first, in the city of Philadelphia, where he worked for the Government, making shoes for the troops, then in Mexico. He came here, as above, and purchased a farm of a man by the name of Marshall, on section 18, which had a small cabin erected upon it, that was but sixteen feet square, and in this he moved and lived until 1863 when he erected a better residence. He spent the year 1861 and 2, in the mountains , in mining. He died at the homestead in this township on the 9th day of June, 1881. He followed his trade of shoe-maker somewhat after coming here, and was the first in the township in that line, His widow still resides upon the old place. She was formerly Ann MAGEE, and was also a native of "Emerald Isle." She has three children - George W.., Mary Jane and Rebecca E.

In the spring of 1856, a man by the name of MILES settled upon section 17. He came here from Illinois. In January, 1857, his wife fell and dis-located her hip, but, they thought at the time it was a simply a bad sprain, and did nothing for it. But, as it continued to grow worse and worse, a physician was called in. In it's then swollen condition he found it impossible to do anything to relieve the womans suffering, or attempt a cure, and the following May, she died from effects of the fall, and her body was buried on the place. Her husband remained but a little time, when he returned to Illinois, and his present whereabouts are unknown.

At the same time MILES came William HEDGES made a settlement on section 17. He, also, came from Illinois. He opened up a farm and made some improvements, and remained here about two years when he removed to Clarks Grove, Atlantic township. In the spring of 1863, he sold out and removed to the state of Missouri.

Frederick STOODT, one of the old settlers of this township, came here in the summer of 1856, and on the 24th of August, of that year, purchased the claim of Charles JACKSON, on the southeast quarter of section 7, where he is still living. Mr. STOODT is a native of Germany, and was born on the 1st of October,1813. He came to the United States in June, 1847 and located in Richland county Ohio. From there he removed to Allen county, in the same State, and from the latter to Cass county, and settled as above. In 1863, Mr. STOODT and his family went to Colorado, and engaged in mining and were quite successful. Returned to the farm in 1865. His wife was a Mary KOHEISER, who was born in the same town in Germany as her husband, on the 1st day of February, 1821. They have three sons, all residents of the township.

Frank NORDMAN, settled upon section 18, on the 26th day of August, 1856 where he resided until 1859. He is now a resident of the township.

Frank NORDMAN lives just outside the village limits of Wiota, on the north, where he owns a farm of one hundred and twenty acres. He is one of the pioneers of Cass county, and among the earliest settlers of Franklin township, where he located in, August 26,1856. At that time he bought forty acres of land from William JUDD on section 17 on to which he moved his family; he fenced and improved this land and carried on the business of blacksmithing. In the fall of 1856, he built the first blacksmith shop erected in the township. He resided on this place and worked at his trade until 1859, when he went to Colorado and removed his family to that territory where he engaged in blacksmithing until 1866, when he returned to Cass county and bought the farm where he now lives. Mr. NORDMAN was born in Prussia, April 26, 1827 and came to the United States in 1851, locating first in New Orleans, then went to St. Louis and thence to Cass county, Illinois, and thence to Cass county Iowa where he married February 22d, to Catharine STOODT, a native of Germany, who came to this country when 6 years old. They are the parents of three children - Mary Samantha, a teacher in the public schools at Wiota; George Colorado, now farming his fathers farm; and Eureka Isabella, wife of Charles MCDERMOTT, of Benton township.

P.N. FINCH made a settlement on section 2, in October, 1856, and is still a resident of the township.

P.N. FINCH, one of the early settlers of Cass county, located where he now lives, in October, 1856. He was born in Erie county, New York, September 15, 1815. When he was nine years of age he removed with his parents to Michigan where his father Joel FINCH, resided until his decease. The subject of this sketch was married in Michigan to Martha PELTON, a native of Connecticut, and removed to Iowa in 1856. They have two children - Mary and Josiah. Mr. FINCH's farm is located on section 2. Mr. FINCH, like most of the pioneers of this county, has a steady industry, amassed an easy competency and is enjoying the proud consciousness of having always done his duty.

John SEAMAN, and his son Frederick August, came to Franklin township, in 1857. Mr. SEAMAN, the elder was a native of Germany, who had emigrated to the " Land of the Free" in 1853. He had located near Watertown, Wisconsin, on his arrival, but removed to Cass county as stated above. He pre-empted the farm now owned by J. POLLOCK, on section 20, where he lived until his death, which occurred in March, 1867. Frederick A. his son was born in Germany, in 1843, and was fourteen years old when he came here. During the war he enlisted in Company I, Twenty third Iowa Infantry, and served three years. After his term of service had expired he returned to this county, and now lives on section 20.

Wilson PRALL came to Franklin township in 1857, where he improved a farm, and remained until 1865, when he removed to Atlantic township, where he now resides.

Cary ANTRIM located here about the year 1856, and remained about two years, when he removed to Fremont county, where he now resides.

In 1857,Fabius ROBBINS located upon section 8. He came to Cass county from Ohio, and remained here ntil 1864 or 5,when he left, suddenly, going to southern Kansas. The farm he opened is now the property of A.C. and J.L. JAMESON.

John W. HUMERICK, senior made a settlement on section 30, in September, 1858. He was born in Prussia, in 1810, and came to the United States in 1845, settling at Columbus, Ohio. From thence he removed to Allen county in the same State, and from there to this place. He put up a log cabin and commenced making improvements. He was a man of excellent constitution and robust health and a hard worker, and soon the place began to assume a home like appearance. He and his family lived in the cabin that he built until 1872, when he built a fine substantial frame residence where his widow now lives. He was married in Germany and was the father of six children, three of whom are living - Elizabeth, Julia and John W., Jr. Mr. HUMERICK died, quite suddenly, on the 27th of February, 1873.

W.W. RICHMOND settled upon section 9, during the year 1858, where he lived until 1868. He removed to Missouri at that date, and is now living there.

In 1859, Harley SOPER and family settled in Franklin township. They afterwards removed to Atlantic township.

Robert TURNER made a settlement in Franklin township, on section 3, in January, 1860, where he resided until March, 1861, when he died. He was an Englishman by birth and came to this country in 1842. His son, James R. resides upon the old homestead. Mrs. Robert TURNER died in January, 1878. James R. TURNER is among the most prominent and solid men of the county, and is looked up too by his friends and neighbors as a man of sterling integrity and untarnished honor. It is just such men that make a county what it is, and these annals of the county's history would be incomplete without a short mention of so prominent and influential a citizen as Mr. TURNER.

J.R. TURNER was born in Derbyshire, England, April 1,1838. At the age of four years he came with his parents to the United States. He was married to Eliza J. RUSSEL, a native of Ontario, Canada. They have five children - Nellie May, Robert Roy, Charles F., Jesse J. and William. Mr. TURNERs farm contains one hundred and forty three and one half acres.

William MCCLURE made a settlement in section 4, in 1860. William MCCLURE resides on section 4, where he settled in 1860, purchasing a fine farm on this section. Upon this place at the time, was a log house, and ten acres broken. Mr. MCCLURE now has a rich farm with good improvements. He was born in Ohio, in 1833, and remained there until 1859. In that year he started for Pike's Peak, but turned back on learning that the reports of finding gold had proven false, and went to Guthrie county, Iowa. In the spring of 1860 he came to Cass county. In 1863 he again started for Pikes Peak, and after arriving there remained one year. He was married to Jennie MCCAFERTY, who was born in Ohio, in 1833. Mr. and Mrs. MCCLURE have four children - Allison, Mary, Willie and Charlie. Alva and Elva (twins) died at the respective ages of eleven and thirteen months.
" Representative Men "

Among the men who are residents of Franklin township today, the following have been selected, as the most prominent, with the intention in view of showing of what excellent material the population of this sub-division of Cass county is composed. It is no wonder that with many such men, the township is fast progressing to a front rank and a formost place in the county.

James S. MORGAN resides upon section 7, Franklin township, where he owns two hundred forty acres. He entered the eighty on which he resides, and an eighty a joining on section 8, in 1855, but did not locate here until 1864. He was born in Richland county, Ohio, July 24, 1825. His early years were spent in his native State, and he was married their to Rebecca STEELE, a native of the same county, born in 1832. He cane to Iowa in 1856, and located in Jasper county, where he lived until coming to Cass county in 1864. His parents, Jacob and Mary MORGAN, settled in Belmont county, Ohio,at a early day. Jacob MORGAN died in Ohio. His wife died in Jasper county. Mrs. MORGANs parents, James and Elizabeth STEELE were brought up in Pennsylvania, and afterward settled in Richland county, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. MORGAN have three children - Harry S., now in California; Alice, wife of Edward BERG, and George Franklin, at home with his parents.

William WOOD was born in Derbyshire, England on the 30th day of October, 1838, and is the son of Samual and Matilda (CARTLIDGE) WOOD. When about six years of age, he came with his parents to America, and located in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, where he was reared and educated. In January, 1865, William came to Cass county, Iowa, and settled in Franklin township. In March, 1873, he moved his family to section 10, where he owns one hundred and forty acres of land, thirty of which is timber acres. He was married in Cass county in April, 1866, to Harriet TURNER, a native of England, who when quite young came to America where her parents died, and are buried in the Jameson cemetery, this county. Mr and Mrs. WOOD have five children living - Charles A., Lenora A., Walter W., Hattie and Samuel. William died in August, 1868, aged one month, and Jessie K. died in August, 1875, at age five months. Mr. WOOD was elected to the office of Justice of the peace in November, 1880, and has been township assessor, trustee, supervisor and school director. He is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the Odd Fellows organization.

Mrs. Sarah ROBINSON, widow of James ROBINSON, lives upon the northeast quarter of section 3, where she settled with her husband, in April, 1865. The farm was then unimproved, with the exception of the breaking of about two acres. James ROBINSON was born in Londonderry, Ireland, in 1826. He came to the United States with his parents, when about fifteen years old. The family settled near Pittsburg. Mr & Mrs. ROBINSON were married in Pennsylvania, in March 18149. They emigrated to Jasper county, Iowa, in 1858. One year later, they came to Cass county and settled on the farm of his brother-in-law, Joseph TURNER, in the town of Pymosa, which he broke and fenced. They remained on the place three years, then removed to a farm, at Grove City, where they lived three years. Mr. ROBINSON died July2, 18865, about three months after locating in Franklin township. Mr. & Mrs. ROBINSON had nine children born to them, all of whom are living. Robert, now in Colorado, James A., in Adair county; Joseph W., in Benton township; William, living at home with his mother; Emma, wife of. M. HEMPHILL; Clifton, at home; Hattie M., Agnes C. and Alice B. Mrs. ROBINSON was formerly Sarah TURNER, a daughter of Robert TURNER. She was born in England in 1825, and came to this country with her father's family. Her farm contains two hundred acres.

Henry H. MOST settled in 1866, on section 31, where he now resides. He was born in the province of Hesse, Germany, in 1828. He came to the United States in 1865. He has been twice married. His first wife died in this town, March 29, 1872. He was again married to Susanna HEYMAN, a native of Hesse, Germany, born in 1840. She came to this country in 1866. By the first union there were five children: Philip, Ernest, Anna, Lizzie and a little girl, born November 3, 1871, whose death occurred February 16, 1872. By the second wife there was one son --George.

S.J.ROE settled in 1866, on the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 17, where he still resides. This is one of the first farms opened in the township. It contains three hundred and sixty acres, for which Mr. ROE paid five dollars per acre, and is all under cultivation. He was born in Chenango county New York, in the town of Norwich. When he was five years old, his parents removed to Knox county, Illinois, where he lived until 1864. In that year he came here and purchased his farm, then returned to Knox county and enlisted in company A, of the Thirtieth Illinois volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. His regiment was attached to the Seventieth army corps. He participated in numerous engagements, and in Sherman's march from Atlanta to the sea. He located upon his present farm soon after the close of the war. His wife was formerly Nancy SWIM, a native of Indiana. Mr. & Mrs. ROE have seven children: Leroy, Edwin, Robert, Jack, Lilly, Fanny and Florence.

Mrs. Tabitha BARTLES, widow of Nicholas BARTLES, resides on eighty acres that is on section 22. She owns a farm, eighty acres of which is on section 27. Nicholas BARTLES was born in Fulton county, Illinois, April 9, 1842. He enlisted in the Forty-seventh Illinois Infantry, March 8, 1865, and served until the close of the war. He came to Cass county after the war, and was married in 1870, to Tabitha ELLER, a daughter of Jesse ELLER. They settled soon after marriage, upon the farm where Mrs. BARTLES now lives. Mr. BARTLES' death occurred in 1880. Mrs. BARTLES was born in Jefferson county, Iowa, in 1848. She is a daughter of one of the early settlers of the county. She has three sons: Jesse F., Clarence E., and Charles O.

John MCKNIGHT settled upon section 31, his present residence, in 18780. His first purchase was forty acres, to which he has added until he now owns two hundred and forty acres. He was born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, September 19, 1837. His early life was spent in his native county. He enlisted in 1861 and served until the close of the was. He was at the battle of bull Run, siege of Atlanta, siege of Vicksburg and Sherman's march to the sea. After the war he returned to Ohio, were he remained until he came to Iowa in 18687. He lived three years in Poweshick county, then came to Cass county. Mrs. MCKNIGHT was formerly Rachel FORNEY, a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. & Mrs. MCKNIGHT have five children: Callie P., Ulysses G., Elsie B., Frank W. and Dollie M. Mr. MCKNIGHT is an enterprising and successful farmer.

John M. ENGLE lives upon section 27, where he owns one hundred and twenty acres. He settled here in the spring of 1870, purchasing his land of Samuel BAUMER and A.S. WALKER. The farm was wholly unimproved, he being the first settler upon it. Mr. ENGLE was born in Menard county, Illinois in 1827, and was there reared to agricultural pursuits. He decided, on attaining manhood, to learn the wagon makers' trade, and followed wagon and carriage making for a number of years. He lived in Illinois until he came to Iowa in 1870. At the age of fifteen years he became a member of the church of God, and, several years later, was made an elder and bishop of that denomination. On one occasion the brethren of the church, met and chose him as elder and pastor, in which capacity he served some years. He began preaching in 1872 and continued to preach regularly for a number of years but was compelled some time since, to abandon it, on account of a bronchial trouble. He was married in Illinois to Mary Jane SMITH, a native of Morgan county, Virginia. She removed with her parents to Illinois when seven years old. Mr & Mrs. ENGLE have had nine children born to them, only two of whom are living: Fred, born in Illinois in 1864 and Leonard, born in 1865. Of their seven deceased children, four died in June, 1876, between the 18th & 22nd.

In Portland, Maine, on the 18th of February, 1833, Charles W. SIMONTON was born, his father being Benjamin SIMONTON, a native of Maine, who fought in the War of 1812. His mother, Anne BUCK, was born in Dorchester, New Brunswick. Charles remained in Maine until twenty years of age, when he moved to Illinois, and resided, in Henry county, until the year 1872, when he came to Cass county, Iowa. His mother died in April, 1883, aged eighty-three years, while his father died in January, 1883, being at the time of his death about eighty-seven years old. In Illinois, Charles was united in marriage with Hannah E. WATROUS on the 24th of April, 1869. By their union they have been blessed with five children, whose names are: Sarah M., aged fourteen; Arthur R., aged eleven; Nellie E., aged nine; Melville C., seven; and Eddie B., four. Mr. SIMONTON is the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 10, in Franklin township.

Jamison LAMOREAUX, son of Darius and Ellen (DARLING) LAMOREAUX, was born February 17, 1847, in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania. He was reared and educated in his native State. When he was eighteen years of age, his father, who was a farmer, moved to Mason county, Illinois. The subject of this sketch came to Cass county, Iowa, in 1874, and settled then upon his present farm, which is located on section 16, of Franklin township. It contains eighty acres and is all under cultivation. He is engaged in general farming. Mr. LAMOREAUX was married in this county, April 26, 1877, to Elizabeth POLLOCK, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children: Orris, born in May, 1878, and Blanche, born in December, 1880.

Philip DASHER owes his nativity to Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, having been born there on the second day of April, 1836, and is the son of John and Elizabeth DASHER. Philip came to the United States in 1854, and located in Pennsylvania about three months, when he moved to Warren county, Illinois, and began his early life in the agricultural pursuits. He remained in that county until 1870, when he came to Iowa, and located on section 15 Franklin township, Cass county, where he owns two hundred and forty acres of nicely cultivated land, and raises some of the finest stock in the county. Mr. DASHER was married in Warren county, Illinois, in October, 1866, to Anna WISNER, a native of Germany. Their union has been blessed with three children, whose names we learn are George Philip, Anna M, and Harry. Mary K, died in 1874, aged two years. Mr. DASHER and family are prominent members of the Lutheran church.

George DALZELL came to Cass county in 1873, and settled at that time, on section 3, where he now lives. He is a native of count Armagh, Ireland. He came to the United states in 1846, and settled in Pennsylvania, where he remained ten years. He then went to California, and lived upon the Pacific coast sixteen years. Mr. DALZELL was married in Pennsylvania, in 1851. Mrs. DALZELL was born in county Derry, Ireland, and came to this county in 1841. They have five children living, Anna, Charles, Lavina, George and Robert. Three have died, Anna J, who died in Pennsylvania; Elizabeth, who died in Idaho, and William, who was killed at the age of twenty, by the kick of a horse, in the fall of 1877. Charles is a teacher in the higher department of the Wiota school. Anna, also has been engaged in teaching for several years. Mr. DALZELL's farm is two hundred acres, one hundred acres of which is on section 4.

James W. KELSEY owns and resides upon the northwest quarter of section 33, where he settled in 1874. At that time the land was wholly unimproved, but he now has a fine farm in a high state of cultivation, and is an enterprising and successful farmer. In 1884, Mr. KELSEY had one hundred and ten acres of his farm planted to corn, which will probably average fifty bushels per acre. He has an orchard containing one hundred trees, and all of the land is well fenced. Mr. KELSEY was born in Saratoga county, New York, November 19, 18131, and was reared a farmer. In 1854 he went to Whiteside county, Illinois, and opened a farm of eight acres. He came to this county from sterling, Illinois. He was married to Martha E. KING, a native of Vermont, and daughter of Hosea KING. They have no children living. They have lost one son -- Willie.

Mrs. Catherine EUKEN resides on section 35, Franklin township, where she located with her family in 1876. Her farm contains one hundred and sixty acres of land, which at the time of her purchase, was wholly unimproved, but is now well cultivated. Mrs. EUKEN is the widow of John R. EUKEN, a native of Germany, who emigrated to the United states with his family in 1869. They settled in Whiteside county, Illinois, upon a farm where Mr. EUKEN died in the fall of 1872. The family came to Iowa for the purpose of getting more land then they then owned in Illinois. Mrs. EUKEN has five children, four sons and one daughter -- Emke, Edward, Carl, Amelia and Herman, all of whom were born in Germany.

David W. PAINE came to Franklin in 1876, and settled on section 28, where he has a farm of two hundred and forty acres, all of which was unbroken prairie at the time of his purchase. He now has it fenced and other excellent improvements upon it. He has stables sufficient to accommodate many cattle, sheep, and hogs, in the raising of which, Mr. PAINE is largely engaged. His residence is on section 18, he having leased the farm above mentioned, for five years. He purchased the place on which he resides, in the fall of 1881. It contains one hundred and sixty acres, most of the improvements upon it have been made by Mr. PAINE. It is a beautiful place. He makes a specialty of Short-horn cattle and Poland China hogs, and is one of the most extensive breeders of fine stock in Cass county. He keeps also, fine mutton sheep. Mr. PAINE was born in Addison county, Vermont, in 1834. He remained in his native state until 1862, when he, with his family, came west and located in Whiteside county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. They removed from that county to Cass. Mrs. PAINE was formerly Marion LANGDON, a native of Addison county, Vermont. They have five children -- Lilly D., Lelia J., Wesley W., Leslie L, and Wilton A. Mrs. PAINE's parents, David and Eunice PAINE, were also natives of the Green Mountain state. They had but two children --- D.W. and a daughter, P.J.; the latter died in 1841, at the age of eleven years, and one week later her mother, also departed this life. The father afterward married Caroline ASHLEY, who lived but three years after their marriage, when he again married; his third wife being Harriet ASHLEY, a sister of his second wife, who still survives. The father died in 1883.

John GENTLE was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, September 14, 1846. He was reared to the occupation of farming and at the age of twelve years, removed to Hancock county, Illinois, with his parents, William and Jerusha GENTLE. William GENTLE died in that county, June 6, 1868. His widow now lives at Bowen, Illinois. They had a family of ten children four sons and six daughters. John, the subject of this sketch, is the only one of the sons now living. One son, George W., was killed at the battle of Antietam. Two of the daughters, Mrs. Mary E. WOOD and Mrs. Martha A. MATCHIN, reside in this State, the former in Poweshiek county, and the latter, in Van Buren county. John GENTLE was married to Elizabeth E. HOWARD, of Hancock county, Illinois. They have three children --Carrie I., Willis G. and Ralph Waldo, all of whom were born in Franklin township. Mr. GENTLE's farm consists of the east half of the northwest quarter, and the west half of the northeast quarter of section 36, Franklin township. He purchased the first described land of John CONNOR, October 18, 1875, and the last described, of John HERBERT, in March 1882. Of the first, sixty acres were broken at the same time of his purchase. The latter, was mostly broken but not fenced. The farm is now all fenced and under good cultivation, with the exception of eight acres of slough. He built his residence and other buildings in 1875. He has upon his farm, the present year, (1884) seventy-five acres of corn, twenty acres of flax, eighteen acres of oats and twelve acres of wheat. Mr. GENTLE is a thorough going and prosperous farmer.

George FELT owns and resides upon the southeast quarter of section 23, Franklin township, where he settled in 1875. He purchased his farm in 1872, of Edward FELT, of Galesburg, Illinois. He made the first improvement upon this land in 1873, breaking forty acres. He now has one hundred and fifty acres broken and the entire tract fenced. In 1878 he built his present residence and planted an orchard of one hundred apple trees. Mr. FELT was born in 1852, in Adams county, Illinois, where he was reared upon a farm. His father, Jeremiah FELT, a native of New Hampshire, was one of the pioneers of Adams county, where he still lives. He settled there in 1830. George FELT is the only one of his father's family living in Cass county. He was married to Clara SMITH, daughter of Joshua SMITH, who came to this county in 1865, and now lives in Atlantic. Mr. & Mrs. FELT have two children -- Garnet and Stanley. Politically, Mr. FELT is a Republican. He is one of Cass county's enterprising citizens.

Franklin township was a part of the townships of Grant and Turkey Grove until 1870, when the board of supervisors re-organized all of the townships of the county, making their lines conform at the congressional boundaries. The first election was held at "MCCLURE's school house on the 11th of October, 1870, and was for township officers. The election warrant, for Franklin was issued to James MORGAN, as organizing officer. The officers chosen at this election were the following names: W.W. MCCLURE, James MORGAN and Joseph TURNER, trustees; James TURNER, clerk; R. L. JAMESON and William JUDD, justices; Thomas WHITMORE, assessor; D.M. LYONS and William WOOD, constables. H.G. SMITH and Thomas WHITMORE, acted as clerks at this, the first election. The officers in 1884 are as follows: S.J. ROE, William WOOD, and John BORCHERS, trustees; William CHRISTIE, clerk; Joseph TURNER and William WOOD, justices of the peace; G.C. HORNBY and W.W. MCCLURE, constables, and W.W. JAMESON, assessor.


The first school held in what is now Franklin township was taught by William JUDD, at the log cabin of John ELLER, on section 20, during the summer of 1857.

An early school was also taught by Hannah LEWIS, at the residence of W.W. JAMESON, during the summer of 1858.

District No. 1, consists of sections 1,2,11,12. The school house was built in 1873, and is 181x26 feet in size. OLL COOMES, the well known literature and writer, was the first director, and Annie HUFF, the first teacher. Mary WOOD is the teacher at this writing.

District No. 2, embracing all of sections 3 & 10, and the east quarter of sections 4 & 9, is one of the smallest in the township. In this sub-district, a school was taught in the summer of 1860, by Hattie TURNER. In the following year a small school house was erected, in which Gertie DISBROW was the first teacher. This building was used until the summer of 1876, when it was sold to Mrs. Sarah ROBINSON, for a granary, and a new edifice put up. The new building is 22X30 feet in dimension, and cost about $611 to erect, The pioneer teacher in this building was Frank CARUTHERS. Anna DALZELL, is the teacher the present year, (1884). William WOOD was the first director of the district.

District No. 3 contains the west three quarters of sections 4, and 9, and the east quarter of sections 5 & 8. The first school house was built in 1870, on section 9, with Miss Annie GRIFFITH as the first teacher. The pioneer school was held prior to this, in a log cabin on the same section, and to Miss Clara BROOKS belongs the honor of having been the first to "teach the young idea how to shoot," in the district. In the year 1880, a new educational building was erected at a cost of about $1500, and Miss Samaantha NORDMAN was the first preceptress.

District No. 4 has a good school house, erected in 1867 at a cost of $700. It is a frame structure, 22x32 feet in size. W.W. JAMESON, was the first sub-director. The district consists of the west three quarter of sections 5 & 8, and all of sections 6 & 7.

District No 5 embraces all of sections 17,18,19 & 20. In the summer of 1860 a school house was erected on the northern line of section 19, which was 16x20 feet in size. This was undoubtedly the first school house in the township. Miss Mary CARY, was the first teacher. Some ten years ago, say 1874, a new school edifice was built, and the old one was sold to John ELLER, who uses it for a granary yet. David LYONS was the pioneer teacher in the new building, and Miss Eliza HENDERSON the present one, in 1884. George MAGEE was the first director in this sub-district. The new building is 22x32 feet in ground area, and was erected at a cost of $625.

The present school board of the district township of Franklin, is composed of the following gentleman: OLL COOMES, president; William CHRISTIE, secretary; OLL COOMES, director from district #1, J.R. TURNER #2, William CHRISTIE, Jr, #3, W.G. EDWARDS #4, August SEAMAN, #5, H.C. ODELL #6;, S. SAMPSON, Jr, #7; G. SANDHORST, #8;, D. BALLENTINE, #9; and G.S. ABBOTT, #10.


What is known as the Jameson cemetery, is located on section 7, and was laid out in 1860, W.W. JAMESON donating the land. The first interment here was on the 20th of May, 1855, and was the mortal remains of Evaline JAMESON, the daughter of Robert JAMESON, who had died the day previous. The second was a child of Mr. & Mrs. D.D. MORRIS, about the first of July, 1855. The third was the body of a Mr. WHITFORD, an emigrant from Indiana to Nebraska, who died July 17, 1856, while passing through the county, and was buried here July 18, 1856. He is buried in the Jameson cemetery. The fourth was that of Adelaide MCGEEHON, daughter of R.D. and Mary J. MCGEEHON, who died aged seventeen months, was buried November 12, 1857. It may be noted that there was two inches of snow on the ground that day.

Judd Cemetery is located upon sections 18 & 19. This was never regularly laid out, but was used for burial purposes in an early day, simply for the want of a suitable spot dedicated to the uses this was put to. The first burial was that of an infant child of William and Malinda JUDD, in the spring of 1855. The babe was never named, as he died when but a small child. There were only a few graves here, as the burying of bodies here was abandoned, on the opening of the Jameson cemetery.

"First Items"

The first birth in the township was that of a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse ELLER, born during the summer of 1854.

The first death was that of Evalline JAMESON, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert JAMESON, who died on the 19th of May, 1855, and was buried in what is now the cemetery, although it was not laid out until later.

The first ground in the township was broken by Jesse ELLER, in 1855, and the first wheat was raised by him the same year.

The first blacksmith in the township was Frank NORDMAN, who erected a forge during the autumn of 1856, on his farm on section 17.


In the midst of a beautiful rolling prairie, rised the flourishing and growing town of Wiota. Fifteen years ago, this was a clear expanse of prairie, except here and there a lonely farm, but the virgin soil whereon the town now stands was then unbroken. In 1868, the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific railroad, passed this point but a station was not located here until 1872. The town was started in that year; the land upon which it was laid out being the property for the most part, of Franklin H. WHITNEY. It was not platted or filed for record, for some time the date upon the records being November 13, 1877, and the owners being set forth as Hoyt SHERMAN, assignee of B.F. ALLEN, in bankruptcy, and F.H. WHJITNEY. On the 20th of August, 1878, Mr. WHITNEY filed for record an addition to the town which is known by his name.

The town is laid out upon the northwest quarter of section 9, and the plat covers about sixty acres.

The first building erected on the present site of the town was a dwelling house, just east of where the hotel now stands.

The second building was moved here from Atlantic, by Frank WHITNEY in the winter of 1772-3, and was used by Robert T. YOUNG as a place to store grain. The building is now owned by D.P. LEWIS.

The first store in the village was kept by T.L. POLLAND. A stock of groceries were bought and shipped to this point by R.T. YOUNG and F.H. WHITNEY, in the spring of 1873. Mr. YOUNG intending to engage in that branch of the mercantile trade, but finding that his other business had already attained proportions as necessitated his full attention, the goods were sold to T.L. POLLARD who opened a small store as above stated. Mr. POLLARD followed this business for some time, when he accidently fell down the stairs of his dwelling house and was killed.


The first business man to establish himself at this ;point was at that time the only building on the present village Robert T. YOUNG, who, in December , 1872, commenced to buy grain here. He continued in this business until February, 1884, when he discontinued it, although he still owns one of the elevators.

Robert T. YOUNG, of Wiota, was the first man to engage in business in this village. In December, 1872, he commenced buying grain at this point. At that time the only building on the present village plat was a dwelling house just east of the present hotel. The second building was moved here by Frank WHITNEY during the same winter, from Atlantic, in which Mr. YOUNG stored his grain. He continued in the grain business until February, 1884, and still owned one of the elevators here. He established a lumber and coal trade in 1873 in which he is still engaged. He also bought and shipped the first live stock. Mr. YOUNG is a native of Cortland count New York where he was born in 1838. He removed when a child with his parents to Pennsylvania, and afterwards to West Virginia, thence to Illinois, where his parents still reside. He was married to Lamira SOUL, a native of Vermont, and has always been actively engaged in business.

A second store was opened in 1874, by Harvey YEAMAN.

The third man to open a general merchandise store was V.M. LAHMAN, who established that business in August, 1875, in the building now occupied by A. OSTRANDER. He ran this about three years, when he changed his business to that of banking, and is the present banker of the town.

Ambrose OSTRANDER engaged in the general merchandise trade, in Wiota in February, 1878, and still is one of the leading merchants in this line in the town.

Ambrose OSTRANDER, general merchant, engaged in business in February, 1878, His place of business is located south of the railroad, and his residence on the north. He was born in Columbia county, New York in 1841. He was reared in his native county and received his education at the Spencertown academy. At the age of twenty he engaged in teaching, which occupation he followed a portion of the time, for a number of years, thus securing means for completing his education. He studied with the view of entering the ministry of the ME church, but did not carry out his purpose until recently. He went to Michigan in 1870 and taught there one year, thence to LaPlata, Macon county, Missouri, where he engaged in the same business. He continued there two and one-half years, when, on account of failing health, he was compelled to abandon teaching. He then engaged in mercantile trade. In 1875 he removed to Bloomfield, Davis county, Iowa, where he continued the same business, thence to Atlantic in 1878. He came to this town in 1879. Mr. OSTRANDER is at present, a local minister of the M.E. church. His wife was formerly Lizzie KNIGHT, a daughter of D.B. KNIGHT of Jefferson county, Iowa.

HORTON and Sons, are also, engaged in the general merchandise line in the town of Wiota, having purchased the interest of E.O. WHITMORE, on the 1st of April1884. They keep quite a complete stock of about $8000, and are doing a fair business.

The first hardware store in the town was established by SPURRIER and CLURE, the year 1876, but Mr. CLURE retiring, Mr. SPURRIER has continued it alone since, and is the only exclusive dealer in that line of business in the town. He carries a fine large stock of heavy and shelf hardware, cutlery, stoves, etc, and has earned for himself the name of a fair and liberal dealer, and a public spirited gentleman.

W.E. SPURRIER, hardware dealer, came to Wiota in 1876, and that same season erected his present store. He is the first and only exclusive hardware dealer in the village. He was born in Johnson county, Iowa, in 1849, and he was engaged in the hardware business several years before coming to Wiota, and served an apprenticeship at the trade of tinner. His wife was Augusta BARNES, a native of Indiana. They have two children - Harriet Augusta, and an infant daughter. He does a cash business of about $15,000 annually.

The first to embark in the boot and shoe business was Thomas B. SCOTT, in February, 1883. He took in as a partner, James HORRIGAN, who was a practical shoemaker, and who was working at the bench at the time. The building they occupy is 20 x 30 feet, and is well stocked with a full assortment of both coarse and fine shoes, and other foot gear. Mr. HORRIGAN attends to the custom work.

Thomas B. SCOTT was born in Linn county, Iowa, on the 11th of March, 1841, his parents being James and Mary SCOTT. He learned the miller's trade there, and was likewise engaged about three years, when he began farming. In 1873, he left Linn county and moved to Nebraska, where he remained about eleven months, when he came to Cass county and located on a farm about six miles southeast of Wiota, and there remained until 1883, when he began his present business. Mr. SCOTT has a fine stock, and is making his mark in the world by his good management and upright business interests. He was married to February, 1868, to Martha J. ELROD, a native of Indiana. They have had two children - Edith, and a son, Roy, who died in August, 1876. Mr. SCOTT's residence is at Wiota, but besides this he has a residence on his farm, where his wife died in May, 1880.

Martin RORAH, one of the present representatives of the grocery business, engaged in this line of trade on coming to Wiota, in 1879. He handles staple and fancy groceries, flour and feed, candies, tobaccos, etc., and has a fine trade.

Martin RORAH was born in Butler county, Pennsylvania, July 5, 1828, and is the son of Jacob and Margaret (HOHN) RORAH. Martin was reared and educated in his native county, and when grown to manhood he followed the occupation of farming. In 1868, he went to Henry county, Illinois, where he still followed the life of a farmer until September, 1879, when he came to Wiota, Cass county, Iowa, and has since been engaged in business. He was united in marriage in 1849, in Pennsylvlania, to Louisa BORK, a native of that State. They have been blessed with nine children, seven of whom are now living -- Maggie, now married and lives in Cass count; Frank, living at home; John, Charles, Elmer and Ida. William J., died in 1852, aged two and one-half years, and Mary Jane died in 1863, at the age of twelve years. Mr. ROARAH owns a farm of one hundred and twenty acres of land, southeast of Wiota, in Franklin township, but his residence and business are in town, where he owns other town property. He is a man of substantial character, and is highly esteemed as a business man and companion.

Among the other business men in the general grocery line in this thriving town is James M. FOSTER, who commenced business in April, 1883.

The lumber business was initiated by T.L. POLLARD. Robert T. YOUNG one of the dealers, and the most prominent ones, of the present, established this line of trade in 1873, in connection with the handling of coal. He has continued ever since, and has a large and increasing trade.

W.F. LAHMANN is also engaged in the coal and lumber business which he started about 1880.

Dr. J.I. POGUE came to Wiota in the fall of 1877, and engaged in the practice of medicine, and in 1878 established his present drug business.

The pioneer blacksmith of Wiota was T.M. WOODSON, who set up a shop here in the spring of 1873. This line of business is ably represented by Joseph TURNER, one of the pioneer settlers of this part of the county, and one of the representative men of the district.

Joseph TURNER, the present mayor of Wiota, came to Cass county at an early day, and has ever since been generally known to its citizens as a man of sterling worth and strictest integrity. He was born in Derbyshire, England, October 15, 1827, and is the son of Robert and Hannah TURNER. When Joseph had reached his thirteenth year, his parents concluded to make their future home in the New World, and accordingly took passage for the United States. arriving on America's shores, they selected for their home a point in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Here the father established himself in his business of blacksmithing, and here Joseph, who was an apt student, spent his time in acquiring that skill, dexterity and thorough knowledge at his trade, which his father , a trained artisan, was so well capable of imparting. Though his progress at his trade was all that could be desired, Joseph determined to avail himself of the opportunity offered to all in this country, of securing to himself a portion of the public domain, and accordingly in 1855, he came to this county and entered a quarter section of land in Pymosa township. On returning to his eastern home, the impression made upon his mind by the supposed future prospects of the county in which he had taken up his claim, so deepened, that he determined to make it his permanent home. And the spring of 1858, found him located on his land, making improvements and tilling the soil. In 1860 he went to Colorado, but after a stay of one and a half years, returned. In 1862, he exchanged his farm for one on section 3, Franklin township, of which he still retains the ownership. In January, 1860, Mr. TURNER's parents followed his footsteps to this county, and settled in this township, on section 3, where they continued peacefully to reside till death called them away. In 1878 he took up his residence in Wiota, and opened an establishment for general blacksmithing; and numerous are the people in the vicinity who can testify to his skill at this, his chosen calling. Mr. TURNER was married September 22, 1864, to Mary C. CHANDLER, a native of Ohio. They have five children living -- Joseph R., Philip, Millard, Jane and George. They have been bereaved by death in the loss of two sons -- Samuel and Frank. Mr. TURNER has been successful in a business way, and his residence is one of the finest in Wiota. He is one of the solid and substantial men of the town, and is held in high esteem. His fellow-citizens have shown their confidence in him by choosing him for the responsible position of mayor, for which he is well fitted by integrity and experience.

Willliam CHRISTIE, Jr., was elected in the fall of 1880, and has since served as township clerk of Franklin township. He was born in Boston, Massachusetts, on the 13th of September, 1847, and is the son of William and Jeannette (ALEXANDER) CHRISTIE, both natives of Scotland. When five years of age, William moved to Dodge county, Wisconsin, where he was reared and educated. After attending the common schools he went to Biloit college to finish his education He then began teaching, and was thus engaged about two years, when he attended a two years course at the Oshkosh Normal school. In 1876 he came to Cass county, and first taught a number of terms at Marne, and there remained until coming to Wiota, where he entered the grain business. Carrying out that business about four years, he then began investing money, and has since been engaged in that occupation. Mr. CHRISTIE was married in April, 1881, to Miss Margaret WOOD, a native of Illinois. They have one child -- Ralph Waldo. Mr. C. was elected to the position of supervisor of Cass county, in the fall of 1883, and has also held the position of secretary of the school board.

The harness business is represented by J.G. IRWIN. This was the first harness shop establishment being January, 1878.


The postoffice at Wiota was established in 1873, and Oliver COOMES was commissioned as the first postmaster. He held it but a short time, and has been succeeded in turn by T.L. POLLAND, Thomas WHITMORE, J.C. WHITMORE, John IRVING, and the present incumbent, Ichabod A. BOYD. Mr. BOYD came to Franklin township in 1873, and settled on a farm on section 16, where he lived until he came to Wiota. He was appointed postmaster on the 12th of July, 1884.


Wiota lodge, No 346, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was organized April 30, 1876, by J.P. JAMEMS, P.G., of Anita Lodge, No. 262, with the following charter members:; Oliver COOMES, P.G;, James KEMPLEY, W.W. MCCLURE, Theodore JONES, Joseph TURNER, Hamilton HEMPHILL, Geoge RAGAN, James MORGAN, Albert BEASON, Nathaniel BRUYN. At. the organization the following officers were installed: James KEMPLEY, N.G; Hamilton HEMPHILL, V..;Joseph TURNER, Secretary; Theodore JONES, P.S.; Nathaniel BRUYN, Treasurer. The present officers of this order are D.D. HUNT, N.G; James HORIGN, V.G.;James MCDERMOTT, Jr., Secretary; Frank NORDMAN, P.S., E.M. BROOKS, Treasurer. The present membership of this lodge numbers about fifty.


The Wiota cornet band was organized in June, 1883, with E.V. BURKE, of Atlantic, as musical director. The organization at that time was composed of the following members: T.L. MALONE, James HORIGN, F.M. LAHMAN, Joseph TURNER, Edward BRIMM, William MCCLURE, George WITMORE, Frank ODELL, W.S. FOSTER and D.D. HUNT. The band is now conducted under the leadership of A.G. IRWIN, with F.M. LAHMAN treasurer, and J.M. HORIGN secretary. It is a band superior to that usually found in places of this size, and is, indeed, a credit to the town. At present the band is made up of the following members: J.M. HORIGN, solo B-flat, Joseph TURNER, first B-flat; F.M. LAHMAN, second B-flat; Fred HOLCOMB, first alto; Russell BALLENTINE, second alto; Henry BLOOD, first tenor; Charles WOODS, second tenor; William MCCLURE, baritone; F.M. ODELL, tuba; William ROE, snare drum; Robert ROE, base drum and cymbals.


Wiota was incorporated as a town in the spring of 1884, with the following officers; Joseph TURNER, mayor; T.L. MALONE, recorder; G.C. HORNBY, marshal; T.B. SCOTT, street commissioner; William CHRISTIE Jr., D.D. HUNT, I.A. BOYD, William CHAMBERS, John IRWIN, E.O. WHITMORE, town council. The officers at present remain the same, with the exception that V.M. LAHMAN and Orren HORTON serve in the place of William CHAMBERS and E.O. WHITMORE as councilmen.


Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer

Home > Top