The history of the bottling industry in Atlantic can be traced back to the arrival of the Durr and Saxe families in 1875 and the establishment of the Atlantic Pop Factory. Carl Malone has contributed a well researched paper, "Early Bottling in Atlantic" which provides a detailed history. Many thanks to Carl for this wonderful contribution!
Some additional information about the area bottling industry may be found in the 1906 Exposition Souvenir Album, including a biography of John F. Fuhlendorf, proprietor of the Atlantic Bottling Works. The 1913 Industrial Edition contains a short description of The Atlantic Bottling Works in the manufacturing industries section.
In 1930 a Villisca based firm, Tyler Brothers, owned by Harry and Henry Tyler, purchased the Atlantic Bottling works from John Fuhlendorf. Harry Tyler got his start in business in February, 1909 at Villisca, manufacturing Tyler's Ice Cream. Tyler engaged exclusively in the ice cream and ice business until purchasing the Clarinda Bottling Co. in 1916. The franchise contract for Coca-Cola was found mixed among other documents in the safe at the Clarinda plant, "a rather important find." The Tyler Company purchased the Shenandoah Bottling Co. in 1926-27, and purchased the Coca-Cola right for the area surrounding Atlantic in 1929. In the late 1920's the Tyler Co. became affiliated with the Howdy Company, manufacturers of an orange drink called Howdy, and by 1928, the Howdy Co. had created a new lemon drink, eventually to be named Seven-Up. In 1930 Tyler Co. purchased the Creston Bottling Co., and sold the ice cream portion of the business to Beatrice Foods. The Tyler Co. purchased the Atlantic Bottling Co. from the Fuhlendorf family in 1930, along with an ice plant which was maintained until 1952.
In 1930 the bottling company was located at what would later become the Whitney Hotel parking lot. Coca-Cola and a variety of flavored soft drinks were bottled. In 1940 the business relocated to a new and larger plant on East Second, which was later expanded. In addition to Coke, Seven-Up, Like, Tab, Dr. Peper, Frostie, Squirt, Fresca and Tyler flavors were bottled.
In 1949 the Tyler Bros. divided their rapidly expanding business. Harry Tyler took control of the plants at Atlantic and Creston, and the main office was moved to Atlantic. 37 people were employed locally. James Tyler, Harry's son, took charge of a plant in Little Rock, Arkansas.
1. "Early Bottling in Atlantic" contributed by Carl Malone, May, 2016.
2. History of Cass County published in 1980 by the Cass County Genealogical Society History Book Committee, pg. 575.
3. "1868-1968 History of Atlantic", published in 1968 by the Atlantic Chamber of Commerce, pg. 53.