Home > History Home > 1877 History Home
History of Cass Co. 1877

COUNTY BUILDINGS.

A frame court house was built in Lewis in 1856, in which the clerk had his office and the courts were held. In 1864 a small stone building was built for the county treasurer's office. When the county seat was removed to Atlantic the little stone house was removed also and now serves as an office for the county recorder. All the other county business is done in rented rooms.

In this year the county has built a jail in Atlantic at a cost of $5,000 which will accommodate twenty prisoners.


From the History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers
by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa:  Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pg. 92.
Transcribed for Cass County by Cheryl Siebrass, July, 2013.

 
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
Home > Top