A. H. F. ZIEGLER, ANITA.
Bringing to the practice of the most exacting of all the professions a preparation acquired through an excellent scholastic education, practical experience in dealing with his kind in teaching school, and professional training in two excellent law schools, A. H. F. Ziegler, of Anita, junior member of the law firm of Bruce & Ziegler, of that progressive and flourishing town, entered upon his life work with the foundation for its duties well laid, and with a native ability which has enabled him to build the superstructure wisely and substantially. He is widely known throughout the county and the adjacent territory as one of the best equipped and most alert and energetic men in his profession in this part of the State, and has considerable reputation in the higher courts for legal learning, wide in scope and judiciously and shrewdly applied in practice.
Mr. Ziegler is a native of Snyder county, Pa., and was born on February 28, 1853. His parents, Rev. Henry and Eliza (App) Ziegler, were also native of Pennsylvania, and descended from German ancestry. The father was a Lutheran preacher, and for many years was a professor of theology in Selinsgrove Seminary, an institution of learning conducted under the auspices of the denomination to which he belonged. His early life was passed as a missionary for his church, and he retired from active work late, dying in his native State at the age of ninety-five years. An ardent supporter of the Union during the Civil War, he enlisted in the Pennsylvania Home Guards, but he was happily never called into active service. His father, Jacob Ziegler, was also a native of Pennsylvania and lived on a farm in the oil belt of Pennsylvania, which, however, he sold before its productive wealth was discovered. He died in Pennsylvania after farming there for many years. Rev. Henry Ziegler was the father of two sons and five daughters. The sons and two of the daughters are living, the subject of this sketch being the only one resident in Cass county.
A. H. F. Ziegler was reared and educated in his native State, being graduated from the institution over which his father presided. He then taught school in that State for a few years, and in 1872 did the same in Missouri. After reading law with diligence and attention for two or three years, he was admitted to practice in Pennsylvania in 1876, after which he entered the law department of the University of Michigan from which he was graduated in 1878. But not yet satisfied with his preparation, he entered the Indianola Law School at Des Moines, for a special course in which he received his degree in 1879. He began practicing in this State at Chariton, in association with F. W. Craig, but at the end of the first year returned to Des Moines and became a partner of George Bell.
In 1896 Mr. Ziegler took up his residence at Anita, this county, and here he has since been engaged in a very active practice. In April 1897, he formed a partnership in the practice with Senator Bruce, with whom he is still associated under the firm name of Bruce & Ziegler. Prior to coming here, however, he bought the "Des Moines Leader," which he edited and published until fire destroyed the plant. Later, in company with Judge Kinney and others, he reorganized the company, and thereafter managed the paper until 1889. In 1890 Mr. Ziegler was married to Elmyra Bachman, a native of Des Moines. They have one child, Harold, who is in the law office with his father. In politics Mr. Ziegler is a Democrat, but has never taken an active part in politics, except in a local way. Fraternally he is connected with the Freemasons, the Modern Woodmen of America and A. O. U. W. Standing at the head of his profession in his locality, exhibiting a cordial and serviceable interest in the welfare of his State and county, and in all the relations of life exemplifying the best attributes of American citizenship, Mr. Ziegler is regarded as one of the best and most representative men in the county.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 575-576.