ARTHUR WALKER, ATLANTIC.
The pioneer liveryman of Atlantic, Arthur Walker, is also one of its most intelligent, popular and public spirited citizens. Being a man of legal training and practice, combined with thorough business habits and a broad knowledge of the world, his is naturally a strong and attractive character.
Mr. Walker is a native of Illinois, having been born in Canton, on August 15, 1854. In that town his early life was spent, and in its schools he secured a thorough education in the academic branches. He rounded out his education by taking a legal course in the Michigan State University at Ann Arbor, from which he graduated in 1874. The same year he passed an examination before the Supreme Court of Illinois, and was admitted to the bar. Returning to Canton, Mr. Walker practiced his profession for several years, but finally decided that his inclination was more toward a business than a professional career.
After his experience as a lawyer in his native town Mr. Walker determined to try his fortune in the farther West, and, going to Denver, engaged in the livery business. He remained in that city until 1880, when he came to Atlantic and established the well known Walker Livery Stables at the corner where they are still located.
Since becoming a resident of this city Mr. Walker has not only founded one of the leading establishments of the place, but has participated prominently in its public affairs and movements. He has served with credit as a member of the City Council, and is widely known in such fraternities as the Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of America, Elks and Eagles. In years of continuous business, Mr. Walker is now the oldest liveryman in Atlantic, and takes a just pride in maintaining, year after year, the highest standard both in service and equipment. His high personal character, ease of bearing, and good judgment and taste, make it possible for him to retain the patronage of the best class of people and to continually increase it.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pp. 533-534.