FIRST BLACKSMITH SHOP.
Frank Nordman, who married a sister of Mr. Stoodt, became a settler of the township two days after his brother-in-law, at which time he bought forty acres of land from William Judd, on section 17, and to which he moved his family. During that fall (1856) he built the first blacksmith shop in Franklin township, working at his trade and residing on his homestead until 1859, when he removed with his family to Colorado. He there engaged in blacksmithing unil 1866, returning then to this township and buying a farm of 120 acres just north of Wiota, which remained the family residence for many years.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 167. [Note: This biography immediately follows a paragraph on Frederick Stoodt, brother-in-law of Frank Nordman.]