|Home > Biographies Home > 1906 Bios|
The McDermotts, Henry and James B., who came from Ohio, settled in Benton township in 1857 and 1859, respectively. Henry had been a year in Iowa and, besides his farm of 560 acres on section 12, was the owner of 120 acres east of Anita, Grant township. He is still an honored resident of the township.
James B. McDermott came from Ohio to this State in 1855, being accompanied by his brother Marcus, with their families. He lived in Cedar county, this State, coming to Cass county in the fall of 1857. In March, 1859, he located upon the southeast quarter of section 35, Benton township, having purchased the land of Dr. G. S. Morrison, who then lived in Grant township. At that time the only settlements in Benton were on Crooked and Troublesome creeks. Subsequently Mr. McDermott increased his quarter section to about 640 acres, or one square mile of land, and became one of the largest real estate owners and successful farmers and stock raisers in the county. He divided much of his land among his three sons, Charles W., James D. and Martin L. McDermott, and both himself and his descendants constituted most substantial personal elements in the prosperity of the township and the county. James B. McDermott represented Lura township on the Board of Supervisors, in 1865, just prior to its change of name to Grant. For many years after the organization of Benton township he was also identified with its government as trustee and in other official positions. He is now a retired and an honored citizen of Anita.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 144.
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer