|Home > Biographies Home > 1906 Bios|
FRANK J. MACOMBER, LEWIS.
One of the pioneer lawyers of Lewis and among the best known citizens of the county, Frank J. Macomber was born in Boston, Mass., January 31, 1853. He is a son of K. W. and Martha (Alexander( Macomber, his parents removing West in 1855, and settling half a mile north of the present site of Atlantic. There the family resided until 1860, when they removed to Lewis.
Frank J. Macomber's early education was therefore received in the common and high schools of Lewis, and after enjoying this thorough intellectual training he entered the Agricultural College, at Ames, from which he graduated in 1875. He then assumed the principalship of the Lewis schools, whose duties, notwithstanding his comparative youth, he discharged with decision and ability. In the fall of 1877 he entered the law school in Iowa City, and graduated therefrom in June, 1878, commencing the practice of his chosen profession at Atlantic.
In the spring of 1880 Mr. Macomber removed to his old home at Lewis, where he has since remained, adding in his general practice a flourishing business in real estate, both in Cass and Pottawattamie counties. He is a lawyer of much practical ability and sound business judgment, and no citizen of Lewis is more highly respected in professional, public and private relations than Frank J. Macomber. His wife, to whom he was married October 7, 1884, was formerly Clara Hill, of Grinnell, a daughter of Henry Hill, of that city.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 404.
A Mr. McReynolds succeeded Mr. Clancy in 1875, and in the following year Frank J. Macomber, son of K. W. Macomber, and whose sister had been connected with the earlier schools of Lewis, assumed the principalship. He had been educated in the high school of the town and in the Agricultural College at Ames, having graduated from the latter in 1875, and was therefore well equipped for his work. He made a most excellent principal for two years, after which he took a course in the Iowa City law school and returned to Lewis to engage both in the practice of his profession and the real estate business.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 100.
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer