|Home > Biographies Home > 1906 Bios|
The next school of which there is any record was taught in the old court house, during the following winter, that of 1856-7. The teachers were Mrs. E. W. Davenport, wife of the surveyor and mill owner; William Waddell, who had charge of the school after it was organized as a regular public institution; and Belle L. Macomber, whose father was formerly a silk manufacturer of Massachusetts and at that time assessor of Cass county. At different periods prior to the building of the first regular school house these three taught the children of the Lewis pioneers, and it is certain that their duties were not wearing, as their pupils were dismissed during the sessions of court.
A Mr. McReynolds succeeded Mr. Clancy in 1875, and in the following year Frank J. Macomber, son of K. W. Macomber, and whose sister had been connected with the earlier schools of Lewis, assumed the principalship. He had been educated in the high school of the town and in the Agricultural College at Ames, having graduated from the latter in 1875, and was therefore well equipped for his work. He made a most excellent principal for two years, after which he took a course in the Iowa City law school and returned to Lewis to engage both in the practice of his profession and the real estate business.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 100.
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer