J. R. HERBERT.
J. R. Herbert, a well-to-do farmer of Ohio, came to Brighton township in 1867 and traded his home property in Hardin county, that State, for section 2 and a part of section 4, his plan being to provide homes for his sons. He built a house on a hill in the southeast corner of the land, the lumber for which was drawn from Dunlap and Jefferson. After the house was completed it was discovered that it was not standing on his land at all, and consequently had to be removed. Mr. Herbert divided the land among his four sons, three of whom became permanent residents of the county, reserving 117 acres for himself. Franklin H., the oldest son, had served meritoriously throughout the Civil War in an Ohio regiment, received 160 acres in section 2, prospered, held various township offices and was highly respected in every way. Joseph K., the youngest, had a farm of eighty acres and engaged in stock raising. Another son, Henry B., moved to Audubon county, of which he was at one time sheriff.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pp. 130.