|Home > Biographies Home > 1906 Bios|
The first general store in Anita was opened by Keith, Cate & Company on the 20th of June, 1869, the building standing on the corner of Chestnut and Main streets. In the following year O. C. Keith retired and the firm name was changed to Cate & Hamlin, and in 1877 Mr. Hamlin withdrew from the business. Edwin Cate was not only the pioneer merchant of Anita, but was acknowledged to be its leading business man. He was elected its first mayor, and was one of the strongest citiens of the county.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 153.
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer