|Home > Biographies Home > 1906 Bios|
STEPHEN T. CAREY.
Iranistan was located about two miles west of the present site of Lewis, and Indiantown nearly a mile. F. E. Ball, the original owner of the site, sold it to Stephen T. Carey for $500. Mr. Carey was a resident of Council Bluffs, and took over not only the town site but the sawmill which had been commenced by Mr. Ball. He laid out the town in the winter of 1852-3, and completed the mill, filing the plat for record on the first of March, 1854. While busy at Iranistan he boarded at the house of Nelson G. Spoor, who had also lately come from Council Bluffs, and in 1854 Mr. Spoor bought an interest in both the townsite and the saw-mill. Mr. Carey died during that year and W. N. Dickerson bought a controlling interest in the property, which represented the first village and the first saw-mill in Cass county.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pg. 90.
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer