|Home > Biographies Home > 1906 Bios|
DR. C. L. CAMPBELL, ATLANTIC.
The hardy ancestor from whom Dr. C. L. Campbell of Atlantic is descended, came to this country from the North of Ireland in the early days, and located in Pennsylvania; and in Lawrence county, of that State, the family seat was maintained for generations. The Doctor's father and grandfather were born, passed their laborious lives, and died on the same farm, the one on which the Doctor himself first saw the light of this world on August 27, 1856. His parents, John M. and Lavina (Lighter) Campbell, were also natives there, and there the father was laid to rest in the soil he had hallowed by his toil, dying in 1893, at the age of sixty-two. The mother now lives in Pittsburg. Their family comprised five sons and four daughters, all of whom are living. Two of the sons are physicians in this county; one is a physician at Greenvile, Pa.; another is the editor of "The Builder," a magazine published in Pittsburg; and still another is a Presbyterian clergyman, now living in Florida.
Of a Scottish clan, the Doctor's great-grandfather, James Campbell, left Ireland, the inhospitable land of his birth, and sought freedom and larger opportunity on this side of the water; and since his time the family has grown and flourished in the congenial air of individual liberty and local self government, spreading out over the country and adding to its greatness in many locations and fruitful fields of intellectual effort.
Dr. C. L. Campbell was reared and educated in his native State, attending first the district schools and afterward Grove City College, now one of the State normal schools; also Westminster College and the United Presbyterian Institute, conducted under the auspices of the church sect to which his parents belonged. He began the study of medicine in 1879 at Newcastle, Pa., under the direction of Dr. Wallace, with whom he remained two years. In that year he also entered Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, from which he was graduated in 1881, after which he pursued a course at the Worcester Medical College in Cleveland.
Dr. Campbell began his practice in Butler county, Pa., and in 1883, deeming the Middle West a better field for his efforts and advancement, he came to Lewis in this county, where he continued to practice until 1897, when he moved to Atlantic, which has been his home and the center of his large and lucrative professional labors ever since. Among the members of his cult in this region he is held in the highest esteem everywhere within the range of his acquaintance. In the proceedings of the State and county medical societies he takes an active and leading part, being president of the county organization. He also belongs to the 'Botna Valley Medical Association, and is one of its most valued and influential members. In politics he has long been one of the local leaders of the Republican party, and as chairman of its County Central Committee, during the last four years, has been most effective in maintaining a cogent and energetic organization and contributing to gratifying results in the elections. In fraternal life he has been many years connected with the Masonic order, in which he is a Knight Templar and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine; also belongs to the Odd Fellows, the Elks, and the Knights of Pythias, in the last named being the present Chancellor Commander of his lodge.
In 1889 Dr. Campbell married Sophia Hopley, a native of Cass county. They have one child, their daughter Genevieve. To live a quarter of a century of well approved and laborious life among a progressive and discriminating people, all the while active in the contentions of business, professional rivalries and political conflicts, and come forth from the test with a high reputation for ability, uprightness and first-class citizenship in every way, is strong proof of the elevated manhood of him who does it, but this proof the Doctor has given in his case, and the record of his useful life is clean, creditable and highly commended by all classes.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pp. 287-289.
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer