DR. FREDERICK O. BROWN, LEWIS.
From the time of receiving his degree of M. D., in 1897, Dr. Frederick O. Brown, of Lewis, has been a resident and active practitioner of medicine in this county, has mingled freely with its people and taken an active part in their public affairs, and given material aid to all commendable undertakings for the improvement and development of the region. He is therefore one of the county's best known and most esteemed citizens, and has shown himself in every way worthy of the regard in which he is held. He stands high in his profession, has been very successful in his practice, and as a citizen has ever raised his voice in behalf of the substantial and enduring welfare of the people among whom his useful labors have been conducted.
The Doctor is a native of the State, and was born in Lee county on December 3, 1870. His parents, George S. and Sophia (Mills) Brown, were born in Lee county, Iowa, and Trumbull county, Ohio, respectively. The grandparents came to Lee county about 1836. In 1872 the parents came to Cass county and located on a tract of wild land about one mile and a half southeast of Lewis. This farm they improved and on it the father spent the remainder of his life, dying there in 1888. The mother is still living. Three sons and one daughter blessed and brightened their domestic hearth, all of whom are living and residents of this county. The parents were active and zealous members of the Congregational Church, to which the mother still belongs.
The paternal grandfather, William Brown, was a native of Connecticut, and in three States of his residence was a leading man and merchant. He was a pioneer of Lee county, Iowa, where he died. The maternal grandfather, Oliver Mills, is living in Cass county, of which he was one of the early settlers. (A sketch of him will be found on another page of this work.)
Dr. Brown was reared, and obtained his preparatory education, in this county, after which he passed two years at Grinnell College and two more at Ames College. He then taught school one year, and while doing so began the study of medicine. In 1894 he entered Rush Medical College, of Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1897. Returning at once to the scenes and associations of his early life, he entered upon his professional career among the people who had known him in boyhood and youth, and among them he has ever since lived. His practice has steadily grown in volume and value, and his professional reputation has risen to the first rank in this part of the State.
By active membership in the 'Botna Valley Medical Society and the County, State and American Medical Associations, Dr. Brown has kept abreast of the most advanced thought in theory and practice in his progressive life work, and by close study and reflective observation has assimilated the knowledge that has come to him from whatever source in reference to the science of medicine. He is therefore well equipped for his important duties and shows excellent judgement in applying the professional knowledge which he possesses. Riding about the county in the line of his daily work, he is vigilant to observe the conditions and needs of the people, and, in every way open to him, he is influential and serviceable in aiding to bring about desired changes for their benefit. In the fraternal life of the county he is prominent as a Freemason, of the Knights Templar degree, and also as an Odd Fellow. In religious affiliation he belongs to the Congregational Church.
In June, 1903, Dr. Brown was united in marriage with Josephine Murnan, a native of Cass county. Their children are their daughters, Pauline and Fredericka. To his professional attainments and his elevated and elevating citizenship, the Doctor adds a genial disposition and obliging manner which have made him widely popular, and given him a hold on the public regard which makes him one of the most useful men in the county, whose energy and public spirit and whose forceful example have alike been productive of great good.
From "Compendium and History of Cass County, Iowa." Chicago: Henry and Taylor & Co., 1906, pp. 276-277.